This Week's Meaningless Topic (#76) (Feb19)

Hi all. Those who respond to Meaningless Topics seem to be a well-traveled bunch. That being the case, it's probably true that most of us have found ourselves feeling fond of countries in addition to our native land. For me, I loved living in Japan, even as an illiterate gaijin. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Besides your home country, where in the world have you most enjoyed living?

• Like 5

Well, for me it would have to be Germany, specifically the Black Forest region. I always enjoyed the people there, the food and beer, and the beautiful scenery as well as the proximity to Switzerland and Austria, which are countries I have really enjoyed visiting in the past.

Landon

• Like 8

If by "lived" we mean a sojourn of more than a few weeks, the only other country I've lived in was Italy.  I spent a bit over six months in Naples, and thoroughly enjoyed soaking up the history.  

Ken

• Like 6

Besides England, the only Country I could be tempted to live in is Italy.  The people on the whole are nice, the scenery is stunning and the food is excellent.  Coupled with that are excellent health arrangements.  What more could you want?  The only place I would avoid is Florence which is too busy for my taste and the Artists quarter there has some of the most horrible statues I've ever seen. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I've spent the majority of my life in England but spend a couple of years on the Isle of Man and Cyprus (RAF posting), I'd go back to Cyprus, I enjoyed as a child starting school at 7am and finishing at 1pm. I've also spend a fair bit of time in Caribbean and enjoyed the laid back life over there (and the extremely light blue seas)

Other than that, Australia really tempts me to move down under, but I would also like to spend a few years state side although not sure where as there's many places I like the idea of

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 6

I have been lucky and have lived in a lot of places, each was unique and had their own charm.

Hong Kong was great and my family loved it, Brunei was a stunning job, with friendly people.

Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland was my favourite.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

When you followed my postings you will easily guess which country always appeared most inviting to me. It is also an island. And a continent.

These open and friendly people, the variety of food cultures, this relaxed mood. And the stunning nature.

No doubt: Australia.

PS: Probably I´d also pass geography or history immigration tests without further preparation...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

When you followed my postings you will easily guess which country always appeared most inviting to me. It is also an island. And a continent.

These open and friendly people, the variety of food cultures, this relaxed mood. And the stunning nature.

No doubt: Australia.

PS: Probably I´d also pass geography or history immigration tests without further preparation...

Your our overseas Ambassador Gerold.

I know this because our Prime Minister told me.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I lived in the North of England for 35 years and travelled the length and breadth - had all my family there - then moved to Australia

51 years ago - and I wouldnt give it up for quids - despite having travelled over most of the World - since then on business

E.T mentioned Cyprus - where I did 2 years in the army - and I admit to going back there a few times for a visit :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I grew up in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe during a civil war and had a great if somewhat different upbringing. When I was 17 my family emigrated to Australia in 1983.  I did the Aussie thing and went to the UK in 1991 for a working holiday. As my parents were both born in the UK I am able to have dual citizenship and spent 4 years there until 1995. That's where I met my wife (in Brighton, she's there now visiting family). When in the UK I lived in London and St Albans. For me I really miss British pubs and REAL ale. The atmosphere of said pubs is so unique and leaves  hearty, warm memories for me. That said, like others my current home is where I have enjoyed living the most, white beaches, subtropical rainforests and a relaxed lifestyle. 

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

for me if would be Berlin, I spent a couple of years there in the mid 80's, was a very busy, lively place then....we were meant to go back in 2020 and see how much it has changed but covid put a stop to that......I also spent a while on Gibraltar, now that's a strange place but really nice to......actually my first flight was into Gib, back of a Hercules....

Edited by wain71
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wain71 said:

for me if would be Berlin, I spent a couple of years there in the mid 80's, was a very busy, lively place then....we were meant to go back in 2020 and see how much it has changed but covid put a stop to that......I also spent a while on Gibraltar, now that's a strange place but really nice to......actually my first flight was into Gib, back of a Hercules....

Now - that's just telling how young you are ---- Mine was DC 4 ex Southend  - for Cyprus  - via Gibraltar

my chariot at Southend.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John York said:

I'm now torn between two places.  As I said I would like to live in Italy but I would also like to live in Australia where I could listen to The Seekers all day and laze on the beaches.  Oh, and visit the 'A Town Like Alice'.

Sorry John - you would have to fly again - Oh Shivers - you've given up flying:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Now - that's just telling how young you are ---- Mine was DC 4 ex Southend  - for Cyprus  - via Gibraltar

my chariot at Southend.jpg

I maybe still be young but currently with my bad knee since mid December I feel real old...great picture....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1