Microsoft Flight Simulator News

flying_fish

A request for some more information (!!) If you're not allowed to say anything because of NDA restrictions, please say so!

I'm going to buy FS2020 - and am considering pre-ordering. However - I'm fairly limited on my storage options, so need a little help/advice. I have two questions:

1) Default install location
I've read all sorts of confusing posts about changing the default MS Store location. I like to keep my system/C drive as lean as possible, so is installing FS2020 to a different drive (other than C) feasible? Any "gotchas"?

2) Addon scenery location
Any ideas as to whether addon scenery can be installed/used from outside the main sim location and symlinked to (as we can with P3D/Orbx)? Let's say FS2020 is on D (ie. not on C) and we store additional scenery on E. Possible, would you think?

Adam.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Adam

I can't answer the second  - but if one examines the answer to the first - one may assume the answer is no

as to the first - assuming you are on Windows 10 - go to settings/system/storage/ "change where new content is stored"

just point it to whichever drive you want it to go ----- other wise it will go to "C.

Personally - I bought a new Toshiba 2TB HDD 7500rpm drive for a few dollars - called in MS Flight Sim drive "D" -  and when I went to "order"

(it is a freebie in Games pass) - MS placed all the bits and pieces - keys - etc in the right drive.

This will serve until I move to the new X Box in November

On 8/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, Ken Terry said:

I saw a video of the Beta version a seaplane landing beside the Sydney Opera House.

The Opera House was done very well.

But the rest of Sydney is poor indeed.

No Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay was not like it really is.

The city skyline is also just Autogen buildings.

In all much to do before us locals see our city as it really is,  The Orbx P3D version is much better.

Here is the video

I wonder what level of streaming he was using. Was it basic downloaded scenery to facilitate the video recording of the aircraft or was he streaming to the max?

On 8/1/2020 at 3:05 AM, Ken Terry said:

I saw a video of the Beta version a seaplane landing beside the Sydney Opera House.

The Opera House was done very well.

But the rest of Sydney is poor indeed.

No Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay was not like it really is.

The city skyline is also just Autogen buildings.

In all much to do before us locals see our city as it really is,  The Orbx P3D version is much better.

Are you sure this is beta? To me it looks more like (early) alpha. Already for a long time there are screenshots around of Sydney, even released by MS itself, some showing SYD without Harbour Bridge, some with a generic Bridge, some with kinda autogen highrises, some with more detailed buildings.

MS has relessed alpha video footage from all over the world where (iconic) bridges were missing, roafs/streets ending on a cliff, continuing on the othe other side. The hipe was/is propably too high for many people not seeing these issues. 

My idea was always MS will add custom bridges at a final stage.

I would like to know what software is being used by these simmers who are making movies that are uploaded to YouTube. My little experience of making a video has been some free video capture software that I downloaded and although it worked as far as recording was concerned, the hit on frame rate was so huge (about a 50% drop), as to render the whole process of recording a saved flight useless. XP11's 'Rewind' facility is very good indeed, but there is still the problem of saving the rewind video to my computer hard drive without any frame rate loss.

The videos on here look tremendous and don't appear to have a problem with frame rate reduction (maybe they have, but it's not really noticeable here).

So, my question is simple - how's it done please?

Most of the Flight Sim videos I've watched appear to have noticeable stuttering. Many are saying this is due to the recording software - if that was the case wouldn't all XP/P3D videos also be the same? I'm happy with P3D for the foreseeable future until MSFS matures and is optimized better (I hope).

1 hour ago, DModjo said:

Most of the Flight Sim videos I've watched appear to have noticeable stuttering. Many are saying this is due to the recording software - if that was the case wouldn't all XP/P3D videos also be the same? I'm happy with P3D for the foreseeable future until MSFS matures and is optimized better (I hope).

Many, if not the most XP/P3D videos on youtube also have stutters.

37 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Many, if not the most XP/P3D videos on youtube also have stutters.

If that's the case then, I may look at using a camera to take a video of my monitor screen and do it that way - at least I wouldn't have a FPS reduction problem. I have tried that using a friend's camera, but there appeared interference patterns on the camera video. I have a curved monitor, so maybe that was the problem. Anyway, some more experimentation is required.

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

@Adam

I can't answer the second  - but if one examines the answer to the first - one may assume the answer is no

as to the first - assuming you are on Windows 10 - go to settings/system/storage/ "change where new content is stored"

just point it to whichever drive you want it to go ----- other wise it will go to "C.

Personally - I bought a new Toshiba 2TB HDD 7500rpm drive for a few dollars - called in MS Flight Sim drive "D" -  and when I went to "order"

(it is a freebie in Games pass) - MS placed all the bits and pieces - keys - etc in the right drive.

This will serve until I move to the new X Box in November

You can also have all the pre-requisite files in the initial set-up install transferred to your new preferred drive.  You just go into your APPS. and then cycle down to MSFS APP and move it to reside on your wanted location 'target' drive.  So that can also be done after the fact....

6 hours ago, chumley said:

What advantage is there, other than being one of the first kids on the block to have it, to pre-ordering?

I normally wait a few months and see what the YouTube gurus have to say before dipping my toe.

Pre-ordering it might have a thank you for that, content added, with different content DEPENDING on your choosing your version. That...might be a reason in itself, other than being the first thousand kids on the block, so to speak.  Either way, it doesn't cost you anything to throw the dice now, rather than later...and possibly be 'shoulda/coulda/woulda'....for we've all been there, one way or other in past decisions...and their timing.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, Adam Banks said:

A request for some more information (!!) ..

1) Default install location...
2) Addon scenery location...

Hi Adam

1) Both Alpha and Beta are installable to any location you choose. I put it on a spare 500 Gb SSD. It is the same as choosing your install location for P3D.

I  am guessing the Release version will be the same.

2) Scenery is stored in a dedicated Cache. Once the sim is running, you can choose any location for this Cache. I put it on the same SSD as MSFS and specified 350 Gb for Cache size.

FWIW, I have a 1 Tb M.2 drive to install the final release on, when I install that in just a few weeks from now, and plan on an 800 Gb scenery cache. This is because I only have 'slow' ADSL2+ internet, and I want to keep as much scenery data cached locally to avoid repeated big downloads.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all that helped (about the install locations) - and especially to @ozboater. I think that's well and truly answered my question ... very reassuring!

As a test, I made the MS Store location change and then added/installed an innocuous app (Spotify) from Microsoft Store. It went to the new location fine :).

So ... all good to go ... now to check my bank balance!!! :wacko:

@ozboater - the recent discussion here has been talking about the options to store software/scenery data on alternative hard drives. Does it matter if any extra hard drives are added internally into the PC, or would it still work as well with external hard drives (SSD or HDD) using USB 3.0 connections?

I suspect that built-in added internal hard drives would mean faster data transfer rates (ie. less stuttering) compared to an external USB hard drive,

Would you know if there are any noticeable differences between these two options? The easier option of course would be to use external hard drives - I wouldn't be confident about fitting internal ones myself. All I have at the moment is a 1TB SSD internal ('C' drive - 75% full) and a 3Tb HDD internal ('D' drive - 50% full).

Hello,

there will without doubt be many parts of the planet for which there is no highly detailed photographic imagery.

I rather think that the developers have already said so in amongst the deafening clamour that they have stirred up.

There will no doubt be parts of the planet, as seen through the eyes of a would be Antarctic pretend pilot, in

ridiculously high detail, when the aforementioned pilot will never visit them.

The debate is arguably pointless, as is the video of nothing, probably made just because it could be.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

there will without doubt be many parts of the planet for which there is no highly detailed photographic imagery.

I rather think that the developers have already said so in amongst the deafening clamour that they have stirred up.

There will no doubt be parts of the planet, as seen through the eyes of a would be Antarctic pretend pilot, in

The debate is arguably pointless, as is the video of nothing, probably made just because it could be.

I agree, some areas of the planet might be really tough to get and therefore they might have done their best.

I actually saw a Barcelona video and even the cathedral needed better resolution.

But if general the area looked amazing

Cheers

Carlos

1 minute ago, carlosqr said:

I agree, some areas of the planet might be really tough to get and therefore they might have done their best.

I actually saw a Barcelona video and even the cathedral needed better resolution.

But if general the area looked amazing

Cheers

Carlos

That is why I guess there still will be a place for custom-made scenery. Not for all places of course, but there is always a place for improvement.

1 hour ago, Aravil said:

That is why I guess there still will be a place for custom-made scenery. Not for all places of course, but there is always a place for improvement.

I believe so

O saw this video and the cities look nice but the bridge in Portland is awful! is an image,a flat vertical image :blink:

I just got an invite from none other than CARENADO!   They announced that MSFS will be available on Aug 18th...and there is NO WAY, they would WISH to bring that to your attention, UNLESS...UNLESS...yes...UNLESS,  they are not only involved with aircraft(?!?!?!?), but will have some Carenado 3rdp offerings on day of release...c'mon...like Orbx...would you promote an up and coming flight sim...ANNOUNCED (yeah...shouting that...!) from their very own email direct to their past clients (of which I am...) IF they were going to move your interest away from any plane offerings that only were available for FSX/P3D/XP?    'Business Sanity'--->says..."..not on your life...".   They are in...and most likely will want to be at the front of the line for your MSFS disposable cache of coin....and they are letting you read between the lines...a couple of weeks out...

Yeppers...  strike...when the iron is hot....you go, Carenado!

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

So I'm a "would be Antarctic pretend pilot", probably because I denounced a very obvious flaw in the new sim, and the video is, of course, totally pointless. Whereas, of course, you, in contrary, have every right to be amazed by the level of detail in all those places that you like to fly to.

Chapeau to this degree of hypocrisy. 

IMHO I think this topic has run it's course.

MFSF is in beta, and the developers have said repeatedly that it is a work in progress and that they want the community to work with them to make it even better. Nit-picking about why Azure AI has not interpreted Bing data accurately misses the point entirely - to reproduce the globe like this will always be a compromise. None of us know what the release version will bring.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, and (forgive my bluntness here) if you can't p*ss get off the pot.

I think Nick does a brilliant job managing our various rants, and with great equanimity. I'm quite sure he doesn't need me to defend him, but nevertheless, let's cut him some slack please!

Archived