Microsoft Flight Simulator News

flying_fish

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/13/2020 at 11:46 PM, wolfko said:

Closed beta has been delayed by 2 weeks to July 30th. So only two and a half weeks of beta testing? Hm..???

Yes I agree and still no VR, Gliders, fast jets and no helicopters not a great start . 

6 hours ago, Mawson said:

Yes I agree and still no VR, Gliders, fast jets and no helicopters not a great start . 

Agreed! Putting a prop on top of a small cockpit and pulling it up vertically must be too complicated.  Not to mention sucking air into an engine and pushing it out the other end much faster must also be too much. And not modelling the engine at all must be an impossibility...

Plus no VR or even TrackIR at launch.

The clouds and weather look lovely though don't they?

I am wondering if the sound in MSFS2020 will be surround sound, or a wide-altered stereo L and R channel?  Was there ever a developer talking about sounds...I don't mean engine sounds, that's one of them...but environmental, and as you move your point of view either left or right...will the central sound envelope favor the 'virtual' angle L or R, of your head?  I wonder...

1 hour ago, Fizzelle said:

Agreed! Putting a prop on top of a small cockpit and pulling it up vertically must be too complicated.  Not to mention sucking air into an engine and pushing it out the other end much faster must also be too much. And not modelling the engine at all must be an impossibility...

Plus no VR or even TrackIR at launch.

The clouds and weather look lovely though don't they?

Indeed the clouds and weather look lovely maybe call it MSWS 2020 (MS Weather Simulator) ! 

2 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

I am wondering if the sound in MSFS2020 will be surround sound, or a wide-altered stereo L and R channel?  Was there ever a developer talking about sounds...I don't mean engine sounds, that's one of them...but environmental, and as you move your point of view either left or right...will the central sound envelope favor the 'virtual' angle L or R, of your head?  I wonder...

In the MSFS episode about aircraft they are showing how they recorded the airplane's sounds. Quite interesting.

8 hours ago, wolfko said:

In the MSFS episode about aircraft they are showing how they recorded the airplane's sounds. Quite interesting.

Yes, thank you...I saw that...but I wonder if you will have wrap around, for life, airport, traffic, etc.  I guess we are all going to find out, in about 30 days....:)

I see that Live Traffic is included and so i am imagining that the amount of traffic will be reflecting the current very low traffic due to the pandemic. Some airports may not have any traffic in comparison to the pre-pandemic norm although flight numbers are slowly rising.

One thing that stood out In this news was the number of aircraft - in the standard

and then 10 more in the other 2 packs. " I have to admit that I didn't recognise most of them

If that is what you thought  - this might help

6 hours ago, PFS said:

I wish there was more diversity in the aircraft types.
No military aircraft, no helos...

It's strange isn't it? I can't understand the lack of VR in a modern sim either. 

13 hours ago, John Heaton said:

One thing that stood out In this news was the number of aircraft - in the standard

and then 10 more in the other 2 packs. " I have to admit that I didn't recognise most of them

If that is what you thought  - this might help

Interesting that none of these were in the Alpha makes me think they just copied the systems and setup from the Alpha planes and just added new 3d Exterior and Interior models. probably will all fly the same = boring .

13 hours ago, John Heaton said:

4 hours ago, Mawson said:

Interesting that none of these were in the Alpha makes me think they just copied the systems and setup from the Alpha planes and just added new 3d Exterior and Interior models. probably will all fly the same = boring .

I doubt this is the case as the level of detail in modelling and flight dynamics is generations past existing sims

35 minutes ago, aero-3fsx said:

I doubt this is the case as the level of detail in modelling and flight dynamics is generations past existing sims

I don't agree as its not better than X Plane, AeroflyFS2,  and maybe on a par P3D and lacks helicopters and gliders and fast jets.

I don't understand all this negativism. From all the pictures and videos I have seen, this new sim - in its basic configuration - beats anything available in basic configuration today! And with all the add-on contractors in line, I expect there will be plenty of growth with time.

10 minutes ago, johnost said:

I don't understand all this negativism. From all the pictures and videos I have seen, this new sim - in its basic configuration - beats anything available in basic configuration today! And with all the add-on contractors in line, I expect there will be plenty of growth with time.

Hear, hear! :)

My understanding is that the VR system support included will be a fully featured one - AKA HoloLens.  I'm not sure how technically simplistic support needed for TrackIR will be addressed or if 3rd party support will be required.  I did hear that Asobo is a HoloLens team however

Anyway there is still a month to go.

Cheers

bs

20 hours ago, johnost said:

I don't think the negativity is warrented but it seems to be part of the upgrade scene. I remember reading the crazy complaints when FS9 replaced its predecesor and when FSX came along later. It seems both LM and MS released their sims earlier than ideal because of the lockdown. Change is going to accelerate as time goes on so embrace it or avoid it according to your needs. Likely this time next year or perhaps a lot earlier all the complaints will be addressed such as VR, choppers, gliders etc. There will be hicups but thats why the intensive alpha & beta testing. Upon release we will know all the details

2 minutes ago, aero-3fsx said:

I don't think the negativity is warrented but it seems to be part of the upgrade scene. I remember reading the crazy complaints when FS9 replaced its predecesor and when FSX came along later. It seems both LM and MS released their sims earlier than ideal because of the lockdown. Change is going to accelerate as time goes on so embrace it or avoid it according to your needs. Likely this time next year or perhaps a lot earlier all the complaints will be addressed such as VR, choppers, gliders etc. There will be hicups but thats why the intensive alpha & beta testing. Upon release we will know all the details

I am sorry but I don't agree and people that like GA and tubeliners have a lot to be happy about but without VR and low and slow helicopters or fast and low jets or looping a glider in a deep valley a lot of the beautiful graphics are pointless if you don't like GA fixed wing or tubeliners.  There are legacy sims that have implemented VR like p3D and X Plane or Aerofly very well with old code to battle with. I just can't understand why a groundbreaking sim like this does not have these aircraft and functions. The issue with FSX ect was related to bad coding from the beginning and trying to deliver higher grade graphics experience  and had nothing to do with functions or the range of the sim ac.  I remember they did this with MS Flight and cut back a huge amount  on the breadth of FSX and that was deemed dead on arrival with all the flight simmers. Anyway I guess we will see what happens but I would like it to be a great franchise for the future until they take me out in a box.

2 minutes ago, Mawson said:

Anyway I guess we will see what happens but I would like it to be a great franchise for the future until they take me out in a box.

Well, waiting and seeing are all we can to right now. But in a years time all the sims will be better in some way so lets drink to the future of our hobby

Yes and Ill be buying MSFS2020 the moment it has at least VR and helicopters as the amazing graphics and the upgrades Orbx will offer will be amazing I am sure.  I just hope it wont be another Microsoft Flight debacle. 

2 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

I completely agree with you. We all have different priorities, but I just don't understand the big concern over features that are not available yet.

7 minutes ago, johnost said:

I completely agree with you. We all have different priorities, but I just don't understand the big concern over features that are not available yet.

indeed we have different priorities . 

Hello,

I have removed the inappropriate posts. If one does not see what one wants to in the previews, then to say so once is enough.

There is no need to reiterate the statement every time someone puts another point of view.

Everyone has made their position clear, so please let's move on.

I like gliders, and if you do, I recommend Aerofly FS2 with the Swiss scenery package for some great slope soaring, and I fly helicopters when I want to do some sightseeing. What attracts me much about FS2020 is the suggestion that you can get a close-to-real view of world-wide scenery, but I guess you are going to miss that.

Just now, johnost said:

I like gliders, and if you do, I recommend Aerofly FS2 with the Swiss scenery package for some great slope soaring, and I fly helicopters when I want to do some sightseeing. What attracts me much about FS2020 is the suggestion that you can get a close-to-real view of world-wide scenery, but I guess you are going to miss that.

I love Aerofly Fs2, probably the best heli and glider sim I have used. I fly real helicopters and have 120 hours on the r22 as well and its spot on . I just wish Orbx would port over a few more Aussie airports like Jandakot .

22 hours ago, Mawson said:

I just hope it wont be another Microsoft Flight debacle. 

I think MS learned their mistakes and have gone out of their way to avoid their silly errors. MS have put a massive investment into this simulator. It is one of the projects that will likely be using new data coming online soon. MS are involved with an new satelite system which provides 24/7 video surveilance of the entire planet and this will be fully operational withing a year or two. Wouldn't it be awsome if the sim taps into this live full earth video and gives us "really" up to date landscapes and events all across the earth etc.

3 minutes ago, aero-3fsx said:

I think MS learned their mistakes and have gone out of their way to avoid their silly errors. MS have put a massive investment into this simulator. It is one of the projects that will likely be using new data coming online soon. MS are involved with an new satelite system which provides 24/7 video surveilance of the entire planet and this will be fully operational withing a year or two. Wouldn't it be awsome if the sim taps into this live full earth video and gives us "really" up to date landscapes and events all across the earth etc.

Sounds amazing but at this point I'll die happy if MSFS just adds VR and one helicopter :)

2 hours ago, SGunard said:

They'll come! :banghead:

Do you know this for sure or speculation as I can only see the devs wishlist nothing more concrete. I got burned by MS Flight so I am cynical about virtual ware!

On 6/19/2020 at 12:52 PM, wain71 said:

as good as this looks, for some reason I am not excited by this yet, not sure why.....it does look good though, maybe it's because my systems is only 9600k / 1070 and not sure that would run that well....

Hi Wain!

That's why, you need to look at, (or as more a positive suggestion) or as myself, in that ***same*** situation...the M.S. Xbox X series...make that your dedicated MSFS2020 computer system, as I have decided.  No more need to bankrupt yourself to try and get as real as it is...just study the specs of this system...and put your hardware fears to bed, as I have...  Ordering as soon as they come out!  See you in the real-world,  MSFS2020 skies next month... initially, on my Desktop, and then this coming September/October,  on my new Xbox X series!!!  :)   "I've got a beer in my hand...and dancin' in the streets!"

What I am learning is there are two camps, those with blind faith in MS and their ability to deliver a groundbreaking sim and those like me that won't accept it until  it's in our hands. I don't think there is any middle ground but I note that both groups like to speculate to support their own position as it's s very easy to become one eyed when it comes to your own viewpoint.:rolleyes:

Archived