P3Dv5 - fixed - ouch!

Adam Banks

It took a major chunk out of my superannuation, but I ended up having to upgrade my trusty OLD GTX970 for an 8GB RTX2060. Ouch!!! :o I blame the lockdown blues for that!

I can see now that with the 970 there were basically so many things that weren't working with P3Dv5 - probably a combination of lack of VRAM and incomplete DX12 functionality. Anyway ... here goes!

When in doubt - cheat by using NZMF!!!!

p3dv5-harrier-nzmf-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Believe it or not - it was raining in this shot!

p3dv5-atr-nzwr-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

p3dv5-p3-nzmf-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

NZWR:

p3dv5-atr-nzwr-01-11350.jpg?dl=1

Early morning:

p3dv5-sierra-nzni-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

The JF Canberra updated for v5:

p3dv5-canberra-nzqn-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Near Thames - Coromandel: NZNI

p3dv5-an2-nzni-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Over to the UK now ....Orbx ENG:

p3dv5-harrier-glos-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

p3dv5-harrier-glos-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

p3dv5-harrier-glos-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

All these are pretty well stock P3Dv5 (apart from Orbx). No shaders, textures (sky or clouds). "Out of the box" P3Dv5 is way better than a freshly installed P3Dv4 - but you really do need to have a decent GPU.

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

It took a major chunk out of my superannuation, but I ended up having to upgrade my trusty OLD GTX970 for an 8GB RTX2060. Ouch!!! I blame the lockdown blues for that!

I can see now that, with the 970, there were basically so many things tthat weren't working with P3Dv5 - probably a combination of lack of VRAM and incomplete DX12 functionality. Anyway ... here goes!

When in doubt - cheat my using NZMF!!!!

Good luck mate i await your shots, 

cheers

Iain

A noticeable shot improvement all around, Adam.

Have you deduced  compared to v4.5, that to get light on the aircraft for a shot you have to be more conscious of the sun's position relative to the aircraft., & time of day?

For instance, if I want a brightly lit side shot of an aircraft in level flight, I won't get it with the sun set at midday, ie, directly overhead.

So 9am & 3pm are busy times:)

TTM

G'day Adam

Great screenshots by the way mate.

I've read that P3dV5 is more GPU than CPU.

I run a

I7 7700K @ 4.2ghz 

ASUS Tuf Z270 Mark 1 Motherboard

SSD is Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB

ZZRAM is DDR4b Corsair 2 x16GB

GPU is Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11GD

I've had my SSD formatted this week and thinking of reinstalling P3Dv4.5 HF3 but still not sold on P3D V5 as yet.

Reckon my GPU could handle P3DV5????

Regards

Davo

48 minutes ago, Davo79 said:

G'day Adam

Great screenshots by the way mate.

I've read that P3dV5 is more GPU than CPU.

I run a

I7 7700K @ 4.2ghz 

ASUS Tuf Z270 Mark 1 Motherboard

SSD is Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB

ZZRAM is DDR4b Corsair 2 x16GB

GPU is Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11GD

I've had my SSD formatted this week and thinking of reinstalling P3Dv4.5 HF3 but still not sold on P3D V5 as yet.

Reckon my GPU could handle P3DV5????

Regards

Davo

Hey Davo , we have similar specs and my rig easily handles V5 ,  take care . 

John

What is really interesting here is not the fact that Adam gets better results using an 8GB RTX-2060, but that he achieves this with his i7-2600K from 2011. A 9 year old CPU is still (almost) sufficient. This nicely illustrates how stuck the development of hardware can get if a single company rules the market. So glad AMD came back into business with their Ryzen CPUs, so maybe we will see again some leaps forward in CPU development in the next years and not just stagnation. Sorry for this offtopic comment, Adam.

Very nice screenshots otherwise. Glad you are able to see v5 in all its glory now :-)

These are unbelievable shots Adam, seems your investment can be fully understood...

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

Forget Covid-19 ... if "she" finds out how much the RTX2060 cost, I'm a dead duck!!!

... at least by us simmers.

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

She knows, & wants a new kitchen:)

That is what I fear...

32 minutes ago, BradB said:

Looks like money well spent Adam , I’m hoping Santa this year leaves me a 3000 series under the tree . :):D

John

No way John: Santa can a) not go out because he has a beard and no proper mask and b) the US won´t let any foreigner in.

He will have to drop all the powerful hardware in good old Europe. I am prepared...:D

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

These are unbelievable shots Adam, seems your investment can be fully understood...

... at least by us simmers.

That is what I fear...

No way John: Santa can a) not go out because he has a beard and no proper mask and b) the US won´t let any foreigner in.

He will have to drop all the powerful hardware in good old Europe. I am prepared...:D

I have a close relative that is a VP at Nvidia ....... B):D

John

Great work.. Looking great.. Always love an upgrade.. I really like what I am seeing.. Even with my set up it's looking promising.. Just came out of KORS which is a favourite of mine.. Headed away and was really pleased with what I saw.. What it will be like when the buses are about who knows.. For me I think I will be doing less tweaking... 

There goes that bar again - up, up.  Now that you're a 'Turing' man you'll be a tougher act to follow.  I have a 'Fitz-Turing', the 1660ti and am pleased with it in XP.  Your shots were always at or beyond requirements - these latest may require an elevated category. 

13 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Forget Covid-19 ... if "she" finds out how much the RTX2060 cost, I'm a dead duck!!!

Adam.

Hey, that my sister you are talking about.

So I can confirm. If  she finds out you may not be a dead duck,  BUT you will wish you were!

Excellent shots Adam.  I am glad you got it looking better.

Now if only Lockheed Martin would fix the falling out of the sky on finals issue.

Best wishes

Bob 

15 hours ago, BradB said:

I’m hoping Santa this year leaves me a 3000 series under the tree .

Yeah I believe in Santa. Too bad he don't believe in me:'(. Your shots are nothing short of incredible Adam. I love that first one. Good on you.:)

Good to see that you got the Orion and the Canberra is a real beauty

In fact your background shots are almost as good as your beautiful military aircraft

I wish I had your hangar - and you should be loaning out these babies - to the DCS guys

23 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Adam.

Looks like she will get a voucher for a new designer handbag or some jewellery :lol:

Lots to answer ... if I've missed anyone out - my thanks all the same!!

On 5/1/2020 at 12:23 AM, TigerTigerM said:

Have you deduced  compared to v4.5, that to get light on the aircraft for a shot you have to be more conscious of the sun's position relative to the aircraft., & time of day?

For instance, if I want a brightly lit side shot of an aircraft in level flight, I won't get it with the sun set at midday, ie, directly overhead.

So 9am & 3pm are busy times:)

Yes ... and I think the effect is *hugely* overdone, IMHO. In RL, our eyes compensate naturally - but on a screen it just doesn't look right. I usually avoid those 3 hrs either side of mid-day anyway. Funnily enough, RL photographers have always said that too.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, TigerTigerM said:

She knows, & wants a new kitchen:)

... and bathroom! :wacko:

On 5/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Where they there before? Blame it on my slow internet.

Nope! Blame it on the daft old fart that was half way through adding the links and hit "Enter" too many times! :D

On 5/1/2020 at 1:37 AM, bvdboomen said:

Congrats on the new GPU Adam! That's a fine set of pictures. I guess you can fly with all shadows on now?

I always did, LOL ... but it means maybe I can actually *fly* now!!

On 5/1/2020 at 1:47 AM, AnkH said:

What is really interesting here is not the fact that Adam gets better results using an 8GB RTX-2060, but that he achieves this with his i7-2600K from 2011. A 9 year old CPU is still (almost) sufficient. This nicely illustrates how stuck the development of hardware can get if a single company rules the market. So glad AMD came back into business with their Ryzen CPUs, so maybe we will see again some leaps forward in CPU development in the next years and not just stagnation. Sorry for this offtopic comment, Adam.

Very nice screenshots otherwise. Glad you are able to see v5 in all its glory now :-)

Sadly, my main HD is a regular one (though P3D lives on an SSD) ... so my loading times plus the CPU load as it attempts to digest it all is horrific. Usually time for a coffee! However - once it's all loaded up, it's great!

On 5/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Congratulations Adam and these are inching me closer.  Soon my add-ons will be ready.

22 hours ago, Dario said:

Amazing shots! I like particularly the atmosphere, seems much improved from v4. 

Absolutely - yes - and this is with no texture or sky addons!

22 hours ago, Taph said:

Super shots Adam, could afford the card, but  not the divorce :rollmyeyes:

Hahaha. Very good! The trick there is to just "live in sin" :ph34r:.

21 hours ago, wain71 said:

What it will be like when the buses are about who knows.. For me I think I will be doing less tweaking... 

Yes ... Aerosoft (and PMDG) may need a little more time. Agreed - noticeably less tweaking!

13 hours ago, olderndirt said:

There goes that bar again - up, up.  Now that you're a 'Turing' man you'll be a tougher act to follow.  I have a 'Fitz-Turing', the 1660ti and am pleased with it in XP.  Your shots were always at or beyond requirements - these latest may require an elevated category. 

Reminds me of the [old] joke - about Patrick Fitz William and William Fitz Patrick :footmouth:. My XP11 looks amazing now too. I wonder whether Vulkan will knobble it <?>.

12 hours ago, rlaycock said:

Hey, that my sister you are talking about.

So I can confirm. If  she finds out you may not be a dead duck,  BUT you will wish you were!

Now if only Lockheed Martin would fix the falling out of the sky on finals issue.

Phew - at first reading I thought this was an opener to a tiny bit of blackmail. Great to see you're on my side ... us FS nerds need to stick together!

Looking at the [long] list of fixes in HF1, it looks like the terrain crash might be fixed. We live in hope!

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I wish I had your hangar - and you should be loaning out these babies - to the DCS guys

Mind you - some of those DCS aircraft are amazing - even if there are some rather odd choices (!).

3 hours ago, ydelta said:

Looks like she will get a voucher for a new designer handbag or some jewellery :lol:

Which she no doubt will hit me over the head with!!! :blink:

2 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

P3V5 HF 1 today an other time to work on new preset Adam go ahead :)

Already grabbed - but not installed yet. Fingers crossed!! I was kinda hoping I wouldn't actually need to work on a new preset. Anyway - all very quiet on the PTA and TS front!

Thanks for all the comments, folks!!

Adam.

Archived