From the Inca shores to Rapa Nui (+ Bonus)

Captain Lars

Today's flight: LAN841 Santiago de Chile - Easter Island.

Bye Bye, ¡hasta pronto!

3drw0Vi.jpg

Rocketing into the misty Chilean skies...

6xNAb3t.jpg

The Coastal Range, the Central Valley below the mist and the Andes Range with the Aconcagua in the background.

GkoG6Jp.jpg

K6AH0Ee.jpg

Ww4ksep.jpg

San Antonio.

lcuPMNL.jpg

La Cordillera de la Costa.

bTRbvgP.jpg

I couldn't make out the name of this river with certainty.

tFleD4D.jpg

IjbkuZ4.jpg

ezaRInS.jpg

KZ7GDZ5.jpg

srZEkvv.jpg

Looking north, the bay behind the far promontory is the bay of Valparaíso.

eY9OEj0.jpg

Looking south.

Hna3Z7I.jpg

Off on our way across the Pacific Ocean!

45FSXP1.jpg

Mataveri (SCIP) is the most outlying, isolated aerodrome in the world.

ilrwetO.jpg

Because of the lack of alternates, the Chilean ATC closes the airspace after a plane has passed half of the way.

LmUDTEl.jpg

There's some oncoming traffic!

zy4VFpT.jpg

We descend through the clouds.

Xw4MHgP.jpg

6rPOlBx.jpg

There it is, Easter Island.

rMRsX5B.jpg

La Isla de Pascua in Spanish.

aQA2PCx.jpg

Or, as the indigenous say, Rapa Nui.

ev0OkBS.jpg

We make a final turn before the final approach.

hdV5TkT.jpg

MhLQdDN.jpg

xiLbVaP.jpg

On the apron, we are being watched...

s3Nmeaw.jpg

... by a Moai!

yvkEF72.jpg

The passengers take the bus, like in Tegel (a bit OT), where you can get a 30 second bus ride from your plane to the baggage claim.

2VJ41GT.jpg

They could just walk the few meters, but people are lazy these days.

PSWMfiz.jpg

EhjDQAG.jpg

lUcz6kY.jpg

wRZ7wqx.jpg

I could say "thank you for coming along" now, but the Chilean Coast Guard invites us to a bonus patrol flight!

R9qZEjt.jpg

lpcY1E5.jpg

1dzJJWD.jpg

The Bay of Hanga Roa.

qbhTo5K.jpg

Right turn over the sleeping (?) volcano Rano Kau.

DKyCcYi.jpg

UEnCw6h.jpg

gQcqyuO.jpg

That's it. As always, I hope you liked it, and thank you very much for coming along!

8 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Lars, some of your finest yet and brilliant narrative!  Is that Easter Island Orbx Global or something?  I love it.  And what a cool idea for a trip, all the way to Easter Island, I never knew it could accommodate a 777.  Nice!

Thank you Jack, much appreciated. It's a freeware scenery by Carlyle Sharpe. I think you can get it on AVSIM. Just make sure to set the mesh complexity to 10 meters maximum, or else you're likely to run into some invisible terrain on very short final when your are coming in a big bird. It took me numerous tries to find it out.

LATAM serves Mataveri with 787 currently, and did so before with A320 and B767. They offer a trip SCEL-SCIP-NTAA and back.

1 minute ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you Jack, much appreciated. It's a freeware scenery by Carlyle Sharpe. I think you can get it on AVSIM. Just make sure to set the mesh complexity to 10 meters maximum, or else you're likely to run into some invisible terrain on very short final when your are coming in a big bird. It took me numerous tries to find it out.

LATAM serves Mataveri with 787 currently, and did so before with A320 and B767. They offer a trip SCEL-SCIP-NTAA and back.

Thanks Lars!

1 minute ago, Captain Lars said:

Lest I forget: Mataveri was a relieve airport for Space Shuttle missions even, so the big birds are not a problem. :)

I remember that now, I knew a guy a long time ago who used to fly to all the shuttle airports around the world and work on the ILS systems.  What a cool job!

great shots of this so remote place.

Well Lars would be wonderful to have the next with an exploration of the full island ... with a small vfr airplane...would be nice to see for exemple Rano Raraku volcano where moai are emerging from earth ... and Anakena beach (about 20 years ago I camped at these 2 places during a 3 days hike around the island :wub: ... I do not know if it is still possible to camp now )

the scenery is maybe this one ? 

easter_island.zip

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxscen&DLID=185106

On 10/13/2018 at 3:28 AM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Great pics Lars, fantastic scenery.

Don

Thank you very much for commenting, Don. :)

On 10/13/2018 at 3:59 AM, Anthin Delahunt said:

Beautiful shots Lars.I really loved the mist.

Thanks for the tip about the scenery.

Bravo.....Anthin.

Thank you, too, Anthin! Much appreciated.

On 10/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, adambar said:

Very well done Lars and thank for the ride, enjoyed it! :)

Thank you Adam for being a passenger! :D

On 10/13/2018 at 6:15 AM, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful and interesting set Lars.

Some beautiful mountain views before you set out across the Pacific.:)

Thank you very much, Martyn. I just love those mountain views. :)

On 10/13/2018 at 7:13 AM, paulb said:

Really excellent Lars! A great flight and story. I enjoyed coming along with you :).

Thank you very much, Paul. I'm glad to hear that!

On 10/13/2018 at 4:29 PM, ftwd said:

Great story accompanied by some great pics. Thanks for sharing :D

Cheers,

Nathan

Thank you much, Nathan, I appreciate your comment very much.

On 10/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, ikbenik said:

A top set of great shots and especially these of the sky- and cloudreproduction are splendid. Very well arranged together with an entertaining flight in the not so often seen

part of the world as FS-scenery.

Thank you a lot, ikbenik! :)

On 10/13/2018 at 5:26 PM, Scott Harmes said:

Brilliant shots and great comments Lars!  It's always good to learn something new.

Cheers,

Thank you very much, Scott!

On 10/13/2018 at 11:43 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Captain. I love the way you populate your narratives with enough ground activity to provide a context for the in-air time. Makes it feel like we've been in on the whole experience. Thanks!

You're welcome, Rodger - thank you for being a passenger. :) A flight doesn't feel really complete for me without the pre- and postflight stages.

22 hours ago, BradB said:

Big time shots Captain Lars !! .

Cheers

John

Thank you big time, John!

16 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Really good shots, Lars. Some of them are absolutely great.

By the way....did you ask the people from Easter Island how their ancestors made the Maoi statues?

Thank you a lot, Sundancer. I think they carved them out of the rock and transported them on round pieces of wood, but I'm not sure though...

12 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great shots of the Andes and the haze again, Lars. I would not have tried to land a 777 at Easter Island, so I can say "thanks" for that lesson. 

BTW, how did you manage to have your 777 parked in the backgound while starting the Goose?

Thank you much, Gerold. Mataveri can handle a Space Shuttle, so that's not a problem. I landed on smaller airports. :D I think the smallest one was Khota Baru in Malaysia.

You can right click on the screen, go to "aircraft" or "ai" or something similar and select any AI aircraft listed there.

11 hours ago, jean marc said:

great shots of this so remote place.

Well Lars would be wonderful to have the next with an exploration of the full island ... with a small vfr airplane...would be nice to see for exemple Rano Raraku volcano where moai are emerging from earth ... and Anakena beach (about 20 years ago I camped at these 2 places during a 3 days hike around the island :wub: ... I do not know if it is still possible to camp now )

the scenery is maybe this one ? 

easter_island.zip

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxscen&DLID=185106

Thank you very much for your comment, Jean Marc. Yes indeed, this is the scenery that I used.

In fact, I envy you a bit camping there! Let's see.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:38 AM, Captain Lars said:

You can right click on the screen, go to "aircraft" or "ai" or something similar and select any AI aircraft listed there.

Ah... I thought you were flying the Goose by yourself. I should have remembered you fly nothing else but ...

• 9 months later...
On 10/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Captain Lars said:

Let me guess, you dropped 50 or so feet instantaneously onto the RWY 10 threshold just when preparing to flare?  I just hit this issue last night (same route but with the CS 757) and diagnosed enough to suspect it was an issue with the add-on.  (It also happens with the FSoftware payware version.)  The thought crossed my mind that altering the mesh complexity might be something to try.

Talk about an annoying way to conclude a 5 and a half hour flight!

I wonder if creating a slightly larger airport polygon would solve the problem.  Hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived