Who still chooses the difficult planes?

Hi all. As time has gone by, I find that I no longer have the patience to spend hours learning how to open the doors of a new flight sim airplane. I respect the technical planes and I cheer for those willing to spend the time to master them. But my energy level guides me these days to those nice middle-range models that look great and fly simply. I note that some Old Coots still find great joy in switchology and FMC expertise. My question is--where do you find yourself at this stage (1) still yearning for complexity, (2) happy with simple?

When I have time, I try to go through the startup routine. When there is not so much time, it is AutoStart engines. Most of my flying these days is the DC3. I recently latched onto the newest C-117freeware at sim-outhouse. It has a guided startup procedure with a check list call out by the co-pilot, Ernie. You can either flip each switch yourself, or let him do it for you. This is the best of the DC3 varietals, afaik....and  here is the link for download. It is the first one listed, though the 2nd is not too bad an option.

btw, you may have to log in....and register for the site. It is free...

Sherm

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=219

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Who still chooses the difficult planes?

Hi All, Like the question of flight satisfaction. Heres my bit for what its worth. Not much interested in long flights and new technology flying. At times its ok but I get more of a buzz hands on.

For example last two flights. Crap weather ILS circuit at AYPY hand flying the Milviz 737 200. Little bit of tbx for interest in cloud at night.  The other was an IFR/VFR flight Moresby Kokoda via Girua NDB [in case not visual after Kokoda Gap] in the Carenado D18s.

Guess its wot satisfies you. Cheers

I like a 'simple" aircraft without too lengthy pre-flight preparation.  Where necessary I usually choose a ready to start state, or even ready to taxi.

On the other hand if you mean by difficult, a plane like the Q400 that is hard to land properly, and has made me angry, obsessed and hooked on doing it right.  Now that's what I call a difficult plane, and I love it.   Short-haul so I can go from trouble to trouble quickly suits my stubborn nature and gives me satisfaction.

Have to admit, tubeliners are a fascination but not for long - too much button pushing and knob turning.  My personal experience with light aircraft points me that way.  Some are better representations than others but, withing the limits of the sim, they're fun to fly.

Control + E for me too!  Had a stent in Naval Air (US Navy) for 4 years and what I always loved the most was the view from the aircraft.  Sure the landing and takeoffs were exciting but the chance to explore places I would never step foot in was a huge draw.  I think that's why I enjoy testing scenery so much too.  I did actually make a regular IFR flight tonight in Sweden and had a few cob webs to dust off in my procedures!  :blink:

I really enjoy things like the Maddog and FSL airbus. Also the Milviz C310, Flight1 Mustang and B200, RealAir I really like good scenery and flying places and learning arrivals, approaches etc for places I never got to in my career. For several years I spent some time in a CL215 (R2800 engines) and I quite enjoy the PMDG DC6....The A2A Connie is a lot of fun and I really hope they make the B377 available for p3dv4 sometime. I'm a Control-E person most of the time these days. Not into long hauls but 100-500 miles max works for me. When going to do a flight I will usually call up a real world weather radar program to find some interesting weather then go do a flight there. Retired a couple years ago from flying for 40 years and now get my flying fix on P3d.

Dave

I've waited a long time for flight simulators to mimic real functions and flight. Today's sims are near that now. Sure I like using crl-e for a quick flight at times and thank the developers for adding that option, but I also enjoy going by the book to see if I really can do it.  I think the most fun I've ever had is counting the blades on a C-47 before hitting the mags and trying to bring those big radials to life. Also when a sputtering engine in the A2A P-40 was starving for fuel when I forgot to switch tanks.  It's all magic no matter which way we fly! -TeD

On 9/13/2018 at 7:07 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

I find that I no longer have the patience to spend hours learning how to open the doors of a new flight sim airplane.

I choose difficult planes  not  only for the challenge  to  fly by the book  but  for the knowledge  of the complex mechanism  and calculation that  goes  with such  flying .  If it just patience that is required to learn how to open  a door of a new  sim plane  then I must disagree.  But I tend  to lean  your way in contrast of  spending  several hours in programming   a plane  via  switches and FMC,. lest jump  into  that Cessna witout any fuss  and enjoy  the scenery under the sunset

1 hour ago, YAMBA1 said:

I choose difficult planes  not  only for the challenge  to  fly by the book  but  for the knowledge  of the complex mechanism  and calculation that  goes  with such  flying .  If it just patience that is required to learn how to open  a door of a new  sim plane  then I must disagree.  But I tend  to lean  your way in contrast of  spending  several hours in programming   a plane  via  switches and FMC,. lest jump  into  that Cessna witout any fuss  and enjoy  the scenery under the sunset

I like it that you like learning new stuff. Keep up the good "work."

Hm, I definitely don't like complicated.   I fly more for the scenery than anything.  I do like to see what another Country looks like,  so In the main, I fly the old Real Air Duke, the Cessna 172, and only sometimes  Ants Eaglet and if its a longer distance flight the Carenado EMB505 Phenom.

Other than live weather and traffic the only sophisticated bit of stuff I have is PF3 ATC.

John

There is a P3D group on FB to which I subscribe. One of the members posted about a 9 plus overnight flight piloting a tube....I asked what the fascination in that might be, except for landing and taking off. He answered that he is a Med Student and uses the flight time to study and nap....obviously, this is a guy who knows how to multi task....:-)

Sherm

Back in the 1990s, the days of FS 5.1, I belonged to Noble Air, a virtual airline, where I flew the Lockheed L188 Electra.  That was fun then, though FS 5 aircraft had little of the complexities or realism of the "study level" aircraft available today.  Today though, I'm happy with a "complex single" the Mooney M20M (Bravo).  More challenging to fly well than a C172, but without the complexities of a multi engine airliner, either jet or turboprop.  And with the wonderful ORBX scenery, flying high has little appeal, so I usually stay 3,000-4,000 AGL.  I never did care much for jets.

Ken

• 1 month later...

After much fun and frustration, I made the decision to go back to Basics and learn to fly the Cessna 152 properly.

So I set myself up with Carenado's C152 and ,when I have truly mastered the rudiments, I will graduate to A2A's C 172.

Bill.

Carenado's C152 is a nicely done plane, and a good one to learn on, I think. I enjoy flying it, especially to places like Orbx Plum Island and Minute Man.  Carenado's 172 is also a very good, basic airplane. The A2A aircraft seem wonderful, bringing a great deal of realism to the sim.  That said, I was thrilled when they released the Bonanza.  So I bought it two weeks ago, and so far it has been a waste of money, since I cannot use it.  My problem: my sim is not set up to use a mouse or keyboard for any inflight functions.  My monitor is mounted so high that one looks out over the engine cowling nearly the same way as in a real plane.  I fly with a complete cockpit with Saitek gauges, and a variety of controllers including but not limited to Saitek.  Here is the problem, and I wonder if someone out there can help: I have a two computer (server and client) network with FSX on the flight sim computer (Jetline, specs below).  All gauges and other Saitek gear is run through SPAD.neXt on the other (client) computer.  A2A requires the LVar bridge, but I can't find out how to set this up on the network.   

What is difficult, what is simple? I do not have time to learn to operate planes like PMDG or  Majestic Dash 8 (which is tempting, though). For a long time I was using just the Alabeo/Carenado-stuff. But then I purchased the A2A Cessna, and boy, that was an experience! Now I enjoy simming with it and the ORBX sceneries all the new way. But is it complex airplane or not, I do not know.

Greetings Kiki,

I own the A2A C182 and have found it to be the most realistic sim I own. I am not a licensed private pilot, but I do have about 20 hours of training in a Cessna 152, so I do know what flight in a light aircraft feels like, as well as its challenges and rewards. The A2A gives me as close a feel to that experience as I can expect to have sitting in front of a computer in an office chair with my yoke, throttle and rudder peddles to help increase the immersion.  Btw, I also own a couple of the Carenado planes. They are fun, but not even close to what the A2A can deliver.

Sherm

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

In Xplain the difficult planes are those that won't run straight on the ground.  Those with that problem, in my arena, don't get much air time.

Hey OND. I am curious. Do you mean that some planes just won't taxi well in X-Plane? I'm thinking of tail-draggers and the difficulty of not ground-looping them. Or do you mean that some plane just won't taxi well whatever the input? Haven't heard of this one in X-plane. Like to know more.

Changing the subject  bit.  I have to get it off my chest.  I just crashed my Cessna 172 trying to land it at Seu d'Urgell the airport for Andorra among the pyrhenees mountains.:banghead:

We spent a holiday there once. Beautiful place but thankfully, we travelled there by coach.  This airport is certainly one of the most difficult to spot even with the help of ATC and tucked tightly into the mountains its an absolute nightmare trying to follow the approach instructions which have no regard for the altitude of the terrain.

So I'm fed up which always makes me eat!

John

11 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey OND. I am curious. Do you mean that some planes just won't taxi well in X-Plane? I'm thinking of tail-draggers and the difficulty of not ground-looping them. Or do you mean that some plane just won't taxi well whatever the input? Haven't heard of this one in X-plane. Like to know more.

Not being a developer, I'm only on the periphery of the problem.  Seems like LR created a prop wash effect on the rudder similar to that in RL but it's not coming out right.  Along with this effect we have simulated engine crankshaft torque, 'P' effect from the descending prop blade and 'gyro' effect as the tail lifts and the prop plane of rotation changes.  Other things like weight on the gear are contributing but after a three sixty or so you do get airborne and that's what it's all about - right? 

1 hour ago, JohnY said:

Changing the subject  bit.  I have to get it off my chest.  I just crashed my Cessna 172 trying to land it at Seu d'Urgell the airport for Andorra among the pyrhenees mountains.:banghead:

We spent a holiday there once. Beautiful place but thankfully, we travelled there by coach.  This airport is certainly one of the most difficult to spot even with the help of ATC and tucked tightly into the mountains its an absolute nightmare trying to follow the approach instructions which have no regard for the altitude of the terrain.

John

You say "we".

Did you manage to slay your wife in this venture as well?

I hope she had the foresight to get out before takeoff.

5 hours ago, JohnY said:

John

Hey John. Here I am out there flying the barely visible, highly demanding bush strips of Idaho, and you bring up this airport in Spain? Well, I just have to try it. If my name disappears from the Forum suddenly, you'll know how it worked out. :lol:

Good luck with that Rodger.  It'll be interesting to hear how you get on and what scenery you use.

I'm using photo scenery with orbx Barcelona and Bilbao shoved over the top.  They join up quite well.

John

On 10/29/2018 at 1:09 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Airport Elevation setting, it came  up almost as challenging. 

Hey John. Here I am out there flying the barely visible, highly demanding bush strips of Idaho, and you bring up this airport in Spain? Well, I just have to try it. If my name disappears from the Forum suddenly, you'll know how it worked out. :lol:

Hey John. Tried this airport (listed as LESU Seo de Urgel in the program). It first came up with me facing a giant rock wall at the threshold. After I reset the Airport Elevation setting, it came up almost as intimidating. I see what you mean. I did a couple of circuits and almost lost the airport on the first one.That plateau is a kick. Thanks for the very interesting challenge!

Your welcome Rodger.  I've yet to fly out of there yet.  Spent all day resurrecting my 'Address List' which was lost with everything else when  when the 'puter went back to the manufacturer for repair.  And I had to pay for it before they would send it back!  Never again.  I've found a local business that's far better!

About the block wall, I would be surprised if I have that experience as I'm using photo scenery.  I'll let you know.  Should be back to flying in a couple of days now.

8 hours ago, JohnY said:

Your welcome Rodger.  I've yet to fly out of there yet.  Spent all day resurrecting my 'Address List' which was lost with everything else when  when the 'puter went back to the manufacturer for repair.  And I had to pay for it before they would send it back!  Never again.  I've found a local business that's far better!

About the block wall, I would be surprised if I have that experience as I'm using photo scenery.  I'll let you know.  Should be back to flying in a couple of days now.

Hope you are back in the air soon, my friend. Good luck!

Sorry Rodger, I gave you duff information.  I haven't got photo scenery for Norway, I have Orbx.  So, if I ever manage to get the time to get in the air again I've still got that experience to come

Yes, well, she turned out to be pretty useless on this last flight out of LESU.  Couldn't find the radio frequency and had to fly out using map directions for Riversaltes  Perpignon.  That turned out to be an airport for which I didn't have the textures.

Alltogether it wasn't the most enjoyable flight I ever had!  And, Rodger, you were right about the walls across the runway.  What a mess-up.  Still it was an enjoyable challenge getting in there.  That's about all I can say about it.

Archived