The Old Coots Club

Not bothered by SWMBO but health issues are sure cutting into my simtime lately.  Went to the ER in Jan with a belly ache and suddenly I'm enmeshed in medical appointments.  For Feb. and Mar. I have 32 different appointments to attend to.  "Gettin' old ain't fer sissies!"

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, stoney said:

How about 4 score and four, do I qualify ??

Stoney.:huh:

I guess that we are going to have to start calling you Stoney The Senior.

Dale

Well, I've been involved with flight simulation since the mid-'90s, including a stint as Avsim's Managing Editor. I'm now 83 enjoying a state-of-the-art system, mainly with ORBX scenery, of course. I'm enjoying friendship with fellow simmers meeting here regularly in San Diego over more than a decade. (Anyone else here living in Southern California?) By the way, I'm a stage 4 melanoma survivor; thanks to immunology infusions made possible by recent medical research.

Best regards to all,

Maury

• Thanks 1

It's great to read of so many mates who fly these marvelous sims and a big thanks to all the scenery dev's (Orbx as JV saw the light some years back and ran with it).  Just a year and a few days I'll hit the 75 jackpot.

Flight simming and amateur radio is my day.

Teecee, I have not forgotten flying together or better still have a squad of us.  Medical and computer problems are holding me back at the moment.

Great idea, to have a 70's and over club. I hope this comes to fruition.

A big thanks to every member who have given me such great reading, laughs and answers ( in particular I'd like to thank Nick, Doug, and Richard, who have been a lifesaver for me).

Well, I'm off to have my blood pressure pill:rolleyes:.  Thank you all for the fun you have given me.  No matter, your age, whatever life throws at you, on this forum "you will never be alone".

Jim.

PS: Good on you Maury.  Always remember these Maori words.  Kia Kaha.....be strong.

Good luck.

Jim.

Edited by JimNZ
  • Like 1

Onya Jim, and same to you Maury.. You know what, I would love to see this thread be the basis of an old Farts club, (the OFC?) But if it doesn't the thread will stay alive as long as we old goats keep responding.. Howzat for a thought?? Teecee.

And just so they remember that they helped to instigate  this thread..here's a link to "the Other" old farts thread.

Edited by teecee

Ken your "dated" humour was/is fantastic; have not laughed so much for quite a while:lol:  Just when I started to feel old at 64 you guys have made me feel like a whipper snapper again:P

My wife believes that I am a member of the Old Farts Club because when I fart she says that it smells like it has been brewing for years.;)

• Haha 2

Well guess I have to own up to it too - I turned 80 on the 8th of this month. My Happy Birthday present was my HD crashed - bah! I really don't give a rats about the crash, it will be fixed, my big complaint is I cant fly until it is. I read these posts and think  how lucky I am to be in such great company.

Don

7 hours ago, Bassman said:

Ken your "dated" humour was/is fantastic; have not laughed so much for quite a while:lol:  Just when I started to feel old at 64 you guys have made me feel like a whipper snapper again:P

My wife believes that I am a member of the Old Farts Club because when I fart she says that it smells like it has been brewing for years.;)

Bassman there are 2 stages of getting old. Turning 60 you join the Old Farts Club :lol: and at 70 you become an Old Coot :rolleyes:.

Hopefully JV or someone with authority is following this thread and moves it to its own sub-forum called the Old Coots Club.

On 2/20/2018 at 2:54 AM, spud said:

Not bothered by SWMBO but health issues are sure cutting into my simtime lately.  Went to the ER in Jan with a belly ache and suddenly I'm enmeshed in medical appointments.  For Feb. and Mar. I have 32 different appointments to attend to.  "Gettin' old ain't fer sissies!"

It sure ain't Sniper, It sure ain't.

Keep an eye on those doctors and google everything they tell you before you agree to anything,

Never forget that medical mistakes are the second leading cause of death in the US

I guess that is why they call it a Medical Practice.

Dale

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Come on down.  You can hang around until then.

Having kids around is good for us elders.

Dale

That’s great as long as we don’t have to change their nappy’s or diepers or what ever their called. Derek.

TeeCee: you're right, regrettably some of us do live so long that diapers become necessary and so do special nursing homes. 

Fortunately I am still among the Romeos - love that acronym. Sitting around claiming the world was better back then, while enjoying a thoroughly modern computer game and hanging on every upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

76 today, 77 next week.  I think my birthday present (to myself) will be a new system with all the latest and greatest hardware.  Glad to see so many of you are having fun and enjoying life.  My other passion in life is Disney World.  Moved to Orlando area last year so we can visit more often.  Decision time....do I fly today or go to Disney?  Probably both.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:21 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

It sure ain't Sniper, It sure ain't.

Keep an eye on those doctors and google everything they tell you before you agree to anything,

Never forget that medical mistakes are the second leading cause of death in the US

I guess that is why they call it a Medical Practice.

Dale

And, always remember what they call the student who finished last in their class at medical school..........doctor..........Doug

31 minutes ago, jaje said:

We are NOT OLD!!!

image.png

Sounds to me like the WHO doesn't have a clue about the real world. They should spend a day or two living with my 75 year-old bones. Besides, there is no life-expectancy table I've ever seen that supports that nonsense. This is the real world https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy......Doug

Edited by Triplane
Edditted becuase I kant spel

you are only as old as you feel.. Some feel old at fifty five some, not until they are around their eighties, and some past ninety still feel young, so it's all relative, is it not? ;) . On this forum we are all still young at heart, we have to be to be simmers. (The young give it up at the first system crash.>:D) . Teecee.

Edited by teecee

3 hours ago, teecee said:

you are only as old as you feel.. Some feel old at fifty five some, not until they are around their eighties, and some past ninety still feel young, so it's all relative, is it not? ;) . On this forum we are all still young at heart, we have to be to be simmers. (The young give it up at the first system crash.>:D) . Teecee.

AMEN

On 2/17/2018 at 8:47 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Just turned 75. I would contribute something profound to the thread but I forgot what we were talking about.

A minor problem. You don't have to worry until your memory gets this bad:

There were two old fellows who were chatting. Suddenly one of them asked, "What in the world is that sticking out of your right ear?"

The other, with a puzzled look, said, "I don't know", and reached up pulling out the object, then exclaimed, "My word, a suppository!"

Then he slapped his forehead and excitedly declared, "Now I know what I did with my hearing aid."

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Triplane said:

A minor problem. You don't have to worry until your memory gets this bad:

There were two old fellows who were chatting. Suddenly one of them asked, "What in the world is that sticking out of your right ear?"

The other, with a puzzled look, said, "I don't know", and reached up pulling out the object, then exclaimed, "My word, a suppository!"

Then he slapped his forehead and excitedly declared, "Now I know what I did with my hearing aid."

:lol::lol:

Dale

• Haha 1