The Old Coots Club

3 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Please join me in thanking JV and ORBX for giving us our own clubhouse to play in.

Dale

I will very happily join you in doing that Dale.

I'm just a young three score and eleven. 

On 18/02/2018 at 1:05 PM, Neil Hill said:

Hi all you old farts,

I'll turn 80 in August and have a myriad of issues but I'd like to think I'm still useful to ORBX.  Revising airports is what keeps me from going nuts.  Nice to see I'm not the only oldster around here.

Cheers, Neil

Neil, you do a fantastic job. And I bet that all those who know how hard you work for our enjoyment will agree with me. 

Thank you. 

As we can not have a beer, how about having an online gathering. Not sure how many we can have on in one go. I’ve never done it before so could be a hoot. All we need to do is pick a place and a time. Perhaps we could start our own Airshow and all have the same colour Aircraft say yellow. No no what am I thinking. Sorry Jack. Derek.

Edited by Dadtom65

Hi Roger, I was in the Bay of Islands at New Year, DV (Deus Volente..God Willing, an old phrase that suits us well) I will be there again in less than a year.  I'll try and set up getting together.

Pat and others can we multiplay Skype or similar, and have an on-line drink to each other.  May be the Old Coots will learn further skills.  Now I have just to learn how to access the Wrinklies Discount on Orbx, too good to miss.

One bad thing about putting on the years is that those around you age as well.  My best and only friend for 15 years Simon my dog is nearing the end of life and I'll certainly miss his companionship, trust and affection after all these years.:(

• Sad 1

Can't understate the importance of our four footed companions.  I fully empathize with you, Spud. My wife & I have had cats all our lives, and each has been a dearly beloved companion. We've been lucky, except for one which died at 11, they have each lived to 20 or more, but losing them is hard.  I hope you and Simon still have some time left together. Our current buddy is a 9 year old named Chessie

Now, this is a FlighSim forum, so let's go there.  I recently upgraded my FSX sim with a powerful new computer from Jetliner.  I also added a Transponder from VRi, and made my own Communication Panel from Cockpit PHd components. I was showing it off to my wife today with a flight from Orbx KSAN to Thermal Ca. in the SoCal region.  Chessie joined us from the start, first on one lap, then the other. Sure he couldn't figure out what his stupid humans were doing, and all the strange noises. But he had fun too. The family that Sims together stays together (I guess).

Ken

15 hours ago, spud said:

One bad thing about putting on the years is that those around you age as well.  My best and only friend for 15 years Simon my dog is nearing the end of life and I'll certainly miss his companionship, trust and affection after all these years.:(

I feel your pain spud, my buddy Beau is in late stage congestive heart failure, he two is about 15 (not exactly sure) he was a rescue and was around a year at that time.  We have had some good times for sure and now I guess it’s time for some sad times. :(

BTW, I suppose I qualify for this forum at the spry age of 72! :):D

15 hours ago, spud said:

I feel for you Spud, and anyone  going through this..I have never been without a canine pal.. and still remember them all fondly.. My best friend in the late nineties Zeus, a Rottweiler, he weighed 12 stone, a huge lad, he died of a heart attack, and I still have his picture at the side of my bed. Teecee.

Tha' knows lads, I was feeling quite depressed having just turned 66 an'all. But after reading all your heartwarming messages, especially about not going out with a whimper, I fel quite encouraged.

So..thank you very much!

PS My beloved cat (Fizgil or "Fizz" for short) turns 12 this year. We are joined at the hip since my retirement. She loves flight simming. I thought it was because of the moving pictures of aeroplanes and the odd bird etc, but have long realised it's because my server is under my desk blowing out hot air, especially when under heavy load, and she sits on my lap to benefit!

4 hours ago, teecee said:

I  have a co-pilot that does the same thing..only climbs on my knee when I am simming..the rest of the time she is typically aloof. Remember the old saying "Dogs have masters, cats have servants". Teecee.

When we rescued our last cat she came with a book entitled "How To Train Your Human(s)'". And she's done a good job...................

53 minutes ago, Triplane said:

When we rescued our last cat she came with a book entitled "How To Train Your Human(s)'". And she's done a good job...................

In my case it's an infinite supply of cooked king prawns - and very expensive!

On 25/02/2018 at 7:01 PM, macca22au said:

Hi Roger, I was in the Bay of Islands at New Year, DV (Deus Volente..God Willing, an old phrase that suits us well) I will be there again in less than a year.  I'll try and set up getting together.

I will look forward to that Ian.:)

Be joining you Octogenerians in May - seems like it's taken a long time.  Interesting life - born in Scotland - US in '53.  USAF in Alaska then 40 years up there.  Four planes, lots of flying.   ATC - strike in '81 - NWS then retirement.  Florida????? now Washington.  Life is good.

Edited by olderndirt
  • Upvote 1

Turn 78 on the15th March. -  thought I had better log in while I still can !

Really appreciate the cameraderi and the great sense of humour of senior

colleagues.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

And a lot of the young whippersnappers of today's generation cannot understand our sense of humour because we use the full and correct spelling instead of computer talk.

No no no! It's wippasnappa, man!

• Haha 1