Where in Orbx land and what aircraft are you flying?

Sniper31

Like the title says...if you would like to play along, in simple, quick format, post what Orbx scenery you are flying around right now and in what aircraft. In order to keep this related to Orbx products, please ensure that you are highlighting the Orbx scenery that you are enjoying.:D

Let's have some fun and see where and what everyone is doing in flight sim land!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'll play.

NorCal/SoCal right now.

Just flew from San Jose (KRHV) in Orbx North California to Mesa Del Rey, King City (KKIC) in Orbx Southern California.  I usually fly the northeast, NY and NE, but I've been enjoying the west coast ever since I bought PNW, NCal and SCal on the last sale.

I fly the default FSX Mooney Bravo, and I've been enjoying Tom Tsui's new FIP set for this plane.

Ken

For the moment, I flight mostly in SAK and PNW with all these small to medium size superb airports with

- DHC2 beaver, DHC6 - Twin Otter,

- Antonov-AN2 (a recent discovery - thanks to those who gave me the HU),

- British AeroSpace HP.137 Jetstream 1 and Hawker Siddeley HS.748 from Classic British Flight Sim

- and last but not least the brillant Douglas C47-V3

Thanks to ORBX and those generous aircraft freeware builders.

Gérard

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Where are you flying Sniper?

Well, when I started this thread I was still at work, so was only dreaming about flying at that moment. But, freshly home from work and will soon be flying after dinner. I am feeling some Orbx AU land, so I think I will start my flying tonight up around Cairns. As to the aircraft, I am not sure yet as I was planning on possibly buying a new plane this evening. I will report back later with the outcome :D

Great stuff guys, keep the posts coming! It is very cool to see where everyone is spending their sim time currently and in what machine ;) 

Who's next?

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Where are you flying Sniper?

Well, when I started this thread I was still at work, so was only dreaming about flying at that moment. But, freshly home from work and will soon be flying after dinner. I am feeling some Orbx AU land, so I think I will start my flying tonight up around Cairns. As to the aircraft, I am not sure yet as I was planning on possibly buying a new plane this evening. I will report back later with the outcome :D

Great stuff guys, keep the posts coming! It is very cool to see where everyone is spending their sim time currently and in what machine ;) 

Who's next?

Flying the Flight1 B200 King Air from KMRY Monterey to KSMF Sacramento this evening, just to test some settings to avoid a large VAS drain flying in NorCal.  So far, so good.  The plane, for those who don't know, is a big VAS hog if you insist on flying over dense areas and lots of weather and AI aircraft.

Last trip was Van Nuys to Santa Catalina for a look, with the intention of returning to Santa Monica in the P-51D.  Ended up at Palm Springs as all were clouded in.  Next trip (or two) will be stop and goes at Palm Springs to get the hang of applying the power without big swervey things going down the runway.  After that will probably be the Strat from Shannon to Brussels for PAA.

Me next, and what an interesting idea Sniper.

After doing my umpteenth re install after Centralv3 came into being I am currently doing a flight from every ORBX airport starting with the North American ones.

I am doing them as to their order on the ORBX FTX site.

So I have just done a flight around Stewart

I am also installing a couple of aircraft at a time and one of today's was Ant's Sierra.

32.wasyf1.jpg

Next, I have just installed three default airliners so I will add some liveries to them and maybe take an LH 744 from LDDU to EDDB if I have the time!

6 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Brian, what app is this?  It looks cool on the iPad.

Hi Jack,

This is Foreflight app on IPad that connects to Fsx through wifi using FSX flight software on pc. 

10 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Like the title says...if you would like to play along, in simple, quick format, post what Orbx scenery you are flying around right now and in what aircraft. In order to keep this related to Orbx products, please ensure that you are highlighting the Orbx scenery that you are enjoying.:D

Let's have some fun and see where and what everyone is doing in flight sim land!

Good idea !

I do a lot of stomping, these days, between Markarth and WIndhelm but I digress. Right now, I am flying the Lotus Simulation L-39  from Tokushima to Omura AFB (Nagazaki bay) in Japan. OrbX Global and Vector do an excellent job there for what they bring to the table. Unfortunately OrbX seems to have no interest developping in Asia (yes, this is a not very subtle bait), so one must add 3rd party addons to get the whole picture so to speak, namely the rather good freeware Haruo LC map, an airport freeware for Tokushima and a payware for Omura.  A very enjoyable flight.

Sniper, interested by your sharing your experience with your new bird.

Today I make my way out to Seattle from Chicago Midway in N927JB a beautiful OrbX Lancair 4P Which I keep down at 8000 to 10,000 feet cruise altitude I'm really liking 26/2400 15.2gph cruise settings But I'll play around with the cruise settings till I find the one I like 

Currently flying from Edinburgh (Scotland) to Parafield (South Australia) following route flown by George Wright and Kate Clements in 1968 when they migrated to Australia and decided to do so by flying a Beagle (Auster) Terrier. I am flying a freeware Auster J1 Autocrat (which as close as I can get to a Terrier; also it is noted that Beagle were bought out by Auster) currently parked at Southend EGMC readying for departure to Koksijde EBFN (Belgium). They were actually flying to Calais however due to bad weather ended up at Koksijde which was and still is a military airfield however I am trying to stay true to where they actually flew.

Been great using Orbx Scotland and England scenery and will sorely miss their great scenery until I get to Australia where I can again pick up Orbx Australia.

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Me next, and what an interesting idea Sniper.

After doing my umpteenth re install after Centralv3 came into being I am currently doing a flight from every ORBX airport starting with the North American ones.

I am doing them as to their order on the ORBX FTX site.

So I have just done a flight around Stewart

I am also installing a couple of aircraft at a time and one of today's was Ant's Sierra.

32.wasyf1.jpg

Next, I have just installed three default airliners so I will add some liveries to them and maybe take an LH 744 from LDDU to EDDB if I have the time!

Martyn, you say I have nice screenshots?  This one is a stunner!  It has it all, farms, a river, forests, and mountains.  Beautiful!

6 hours ago, BrianU said:

Hi Jack,

This is Foreflight app on IPad that connects to Fsx through wifi using FSX flight software on pc. 

Thanks Brian.  I just looked.  Do you subscribe.  It's very high $.  Will the base app be okay or do you really need to subscribe?

Great Lakes Airlines JetStream41 between KIDA and KDEN.
Rocky Mountain Airways Twin Otter from KDEN to KEGE, KASE and KTEX
Embraer Phenom 300 charter flights based out of KWYS to KBZN and KJAC

All on PilotEdge and FSEconomy and loving this area. Soon as the new KIDA is released it will all be great addon airports.

Hi Jack,

Not sure if the base app will connect to FSXFlight to get you connected to FSX. I pay 99 a year which includes all VFR sectionals, aerial maps, terrain maps, airport plates, taxi diagrams, weather and airport info by touching dot at airport. The dots are color coded green=VFR red=IFR etc. Radar for precip, satellite for clouds and synthetic vision, my favorite is extended runway center lines when approaching an airport  to position yourself on approach. Active Sky set to real world weather works amazing with this also. It's great when you use a monitor but not so if you're using VR.

It really makes navigating in FSX fun and you are always aware of what town, highway, bridge, lake, river you're flying over especially with Orbx areas.

I use it flying my home built with an adsb receiver as well as FSX so subscription is worth it. I find it incredible for FSX though.

Brian

You guys are rockin' with these posts! It is very interesting to see so many different types of flying being done...everyone seems to be doing something different...way cool!

9 hours ago, dominique said:

Sniper, interested by your sharing your experience with your new bird

Dominque, I had every intention of buying a new plane last night, but in the end I could not decide on what I wanted. So, I just fired up the A-10. Maybe tonight I can decide what I want. B)

My prefered aircraft is the PMDG NGX and I tend to fly Westjet routes or Air Alaska and sometimes Southwest Airlines. This is great coverage of North America. Alternatively I will fly Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia or QANTAS for New Zealand or Australia. Rarely I fly European routes

If I do Props I like the King Air or B1900D from Carenado. I like hauling passengers around and sticking to real world schedules

2 hours ago, BrianU said:

Hi Jack,

Not sure if the base app will connect to FSXFlight to get you connected to FSX. I pay 99 a year which includes all VFR sectionals, aerial maps, terrain maps, airport plates, taxi diagrams, weather and airport info by touching dot at airport. The dots are color coded green=VFR red=IFR etc. Radar for precip, satellite for clouds and synthetic vision, my favorite is extended runway center lines when approaching an airport  to position yourself on approach. Active Sky set to real world weather works amazing with this also. It's great when you use a monitor but not so if you're using VR.

It really makes navigating in FSX fun and you are always aware of what town, highway, bridge, lake, river you're flying over especially with Orbx areas.

I use it flying my home built with an adsb receiver as well as FSX so subscription is worth it. I find it incredible for FSX though.

Brian

Hi Brian and thanks.  I wish I could afford a subscription like that, it would add a whole new dimension to my Orbx flights.  I have AS16, but I have no idea what an adsb reciever is, is this how you connect it to FSX?  Also, I have P3D.

@Sniper31 by the way, I have been getting a lot of email notifications from this thread and I love it.  I'm amazed at how different and varied people's flights are over Orbx land.  This was a great idea!  It's not only interesting but has given me some good ideas of where I might possibly fly in the future.

This is a great topic, Sniper!

I just purchased the Dash 8, and I'm planning a lot of regional flights that mimic real world Horizon Air routes.

Prior to that, I spent the majority of my time in ORBX NCAL, CRM, and PNW.  My go-to airplanes are the A2A warbirds, the P-47 in particular, the Classics-Hangar Fw190 and Bf108, and the RealAir Lancair.  Most of my flights were between 60-90 minutes.  Some were meticulously planned, and some were not.  Hoping I learn a lot as I journey forward with the Dash 8. :D

So tonight, I flew out of and around the venerable YSCH Coffs Harbour  airport (still one of my favorite Orbx airports) and surrounding AU area. My aircraft of choice was the new T-50 Cessna Bobcat (she's an ugly but fun bird to fly). 

Archived