Rocky Mountain High: Welcome to Eagle County Airport, Colorado!

2c15a62019d0bba85fb51d166422a553.jpg

G'day everyone,

After four months of development, I am very excited to reveal to you all my latest scenery project, KEGE Eagle County Regional Airport in Colorado! Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX Global Base, Eagle follows on from the recent Sedona and Palm Springs packages, venturing further north into the heart of the Colorado Rockies and the true American West. This product not only includes a highly-detailed rendition of Eagle-Vail Airport (to use one of its alternate monikers), but also an enormous 1500km2 coverage area, encompassing the towns of Vail, Eagle, Gypsum, Avon, Beaver Creek, Eagle-Vail and Walcott, as well as a fair portion of the Sawatch Mountain Range, including Mount of the Holy Cross (14,011ft ) and Gold Dust Peak (13,380ft). Aside from KEGE, there are three other locations to fly to around Eagle County - "lite" renditions of Gypsum Creek Ranch Airstrip (CO47), Avon STOLPort (WHR) and Vail Medical Center. Avon STOLport is of particular note, as locals may recognise that this airstrip has been shut for many years - this depiction shows it in mid-1980s configuration, although for those seeking a truly authentic experience, this can be disabled via the CP in lieu of the present-day layout. In addition to these landing areas, there are plenty of landmarks and points of interest, including schools, shopping malls, gas stations, factories and others. A couple of bonus extras have been included, such as an animated AI helicopter near Beaver Creek and a train operating out of Gypsum. Finally, expect to find a swathe of different landscapes - from the high altitude rocky outcrops of the Sawatch Ranges to the lush valley floors around the ski resort towns, and from the semi-arid scrublands northeast of KEGE to the rural farmlands surrounding Gypsum - there is an enormous amount to explore within this scenery.

KEGE itself is a regional airport located several miles east of Gypsum, Colorado, and hosts five airlines serving destinations across the US and Canada. As much of the airline traffic caters to ski-season tourist, Eagle County is the second busiest airport (behind Denver Intl) during the winter months. In addition to the airline terminal, KEGE lays claim to one of the largest FBOs in the country - Vail Valley Jet Center, which caters to an enormous amount of corporate charter and GA traffic. Lastly, and I believe possibly a first for any of our North American HD airports, is the designated military base - the Army National Guard High Altitude Aviation Training Site. Recently receiving a massive upgrade to its facilities, HAATS is used to prepare ANG helicopter pilots for mountain and high-altitude training experienced in various theatres of operation. These guys have Chinooks, Blackhawks and Kiowas based on-site; the surrounding mountains provide some great terrain to test your helicopter skills.

One of the most famous aspects of Eagle County Airport is its dangerous approach and departure procedures - a combination of close-proximity terrain and severe weather phenomena ensure that flights into the airport will test even the most experienced pilots. In particular, the nearby Red Hill mesa almost totally precludes landings from the west - as a result the majority of both arrivals and departures are via rwy25. In addition to the offset ILS (requiring a small turn on late finals), the highly unusual Gypsum Five and Meeker Two departures require careful attention during all aspects of flight into and out of the airport. To add a further consideration to flying characteristics is the airport's high elevation at 6500ft, though the extra length of the runway allows operations for aircraft up to B757 in size. Located a short flight away from Denver Intl and Salt Lake City Intl airports, Eagle County is ideally situated for GA flights into the heart of the Rockies, short commuter flights to other well-known Colorado destinations, and also short-medium regional flights to well known ORBX destinations such as Jackson Hole, Palm Springs and Sedona. 

As always, I have spent a huge portion of the development process tweaking the scenery for maximum performance, in expectation that it will be used with your favourite resource-heavy airliner or bizjet. I hope these screenshots provide a good idea of what to expect - stay tuned for more updates in the coming week.

FEATURES

Ultra-detailed rendition of KEGE Eagle County Airport

- Huge 1500km2 coverage area at 30cm and 1m - including the towns of Vail, Eagle, Avon, Beaver Creek, Gypsum and Eagle-Vail, portions of the Sawatch Ranges and several prominent mountain passes and valleys.  

Twenty-five unique static aircraft designed for KEGE, including new bizjet, airliner and army helicopter types and variants.

Three additional "lite" landing areas included: Avon STOLport (WHR), Gypsum Creek Ranch (CO47) and Vail Medical Center helipad.

New, updated and unique GSE fleet unique to KEGE
Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and night-lighting methods used for maximum realism

- Custom landclass, vector data, custom seasons file and 10m Holgermesh to ensure maximum fidelity.
Plenty of VFR landmarks and POI to explore including schools, shops, factories, custom bridges and others.

- Animated AI helicopter over Beaver Creek and animated train near Gypsum
- Full suite of ObjectFlow, PeopleFlow2, TextureFlow and more included

- Extensive control panel with options for alternative APX/AI configurations

- General Aviation AI Flight Plans included (requires free FTX NA AI to be installed)

Strongly optimised for good performance with complex aircraft types

- Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX GLOBAL (Base) in both P3Dv2 and FSX/FSX:SE 

If you are considering purchasing a copy of KEGE when it is released, it is vital that you update your ORBXlibs to the latest version. Whilst it always important to ensure you have the latest ORBXlibs installed, it is even more so with KEGE as new custom autogen groupings  are included - a vital component of the scenery package. As such, if you are looking forward to purchasing KEGE I'd recommend running the following steps:

1. Go to fullterrain,com/support and download the latest version of the ORBX Libraries

2. Once installed, open FTX-Central via the shortcut on your desktop, select a region and press apply. This will cycle and update core autogen files to the latest versions.

COVERAGE AREA

bf33f5857c6a6c6024576590451fa701.jpg

Enjoy! 
Jarrad

5e0f0168aff7818016c85df7d6159014.jpg

d621c2d3e5329a13850902fcc75bb815.jpg

a46b43efbcfb2da999bdd838942dabe8.jpg

a892e1630631d95bac64ae9e2781204a.jpg

ef6064e582fb6bbfaaa6c667bd3def34.jpg

dc7a58ba99bfe5f6f58b3caae388e132.jpg

2ac1940378160d3720432253ec9870ad.jpg

469c1b425f5c55cbacc45fb1023267d8.jpg

b076d9c309168361be3280231baa2469.jpg

dcaa021ad0e7715597b44fb726e433c6.jpg

0896186ded45234c4707df60c43d2c86.jpg

efa1b69dfa6f2f7caf03c901567d1f6f.jpg

192460f76160c32d1d55f5717c20d638.jpg

5e200c96fa7a6227c9f62a9ee8e046fe.jpg

e1cecc96f56fc33b78c9721faf8203e9.jpg

7b27e0c8cab7fdbfadffbbaeda7690f5.jpg

a9d27320e5b3b6a60809e8f2393d2753.jpg

63f351c75bc82aa6b7295c618f271d2f.jpg

b0bf4a2719fbdf1d6cd68c84f765a654.jpg

9a0f15ab02fb3a7e9553b5f6bb9d0a19.jpg

9c3ae487fb7ef221aa83e1aadffd5de0.jpg

e305089d63f8edccf4544db810f37869.jpg

96aa8790b82bd3d53fa9b276587def5e.jpg

7750f5f6a00aaeeef363faea14ae6cd7.jpg

de2c095db4f6144d034ea33e8ed3e03f.jpg

8a41a5a1644f05b7ce8b2357f1164db9.jpg

72f3065bc756a33cd8221972bed2cfe5.jpg

a875087840cfaa2ecdec6ac29c85fb9d.jpg

4eaff3b4d185cb2ae9e7b5e1f0b89919.jpg

436444ed8fd0a49617dcac49af1ef386.jpg

ca195ca4f83ac61c231090f4d17bfb44.jpg

Lastly, these two animated gif's show some of the unique seasonal variations. I was able to have access to two NAIP 1m imagery sources for the mountain areas, so the spring variant shown here utilises actual snowlines from the source material. The airport valley PR shows a slightly different approach to the winter season - whilst snow still blankets the slightly higher elevations quite late into March/April, the valley floor has less (though still noticeable) coverage. A higher-detail shot of the airport during this "late winter" season can be seen in the above shots.

fcac004e5d4bd12eb542f14a325e6368.gif

3a4db8a1a89ef33e5329303bc19ad4b6.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verofs has a beautiful photoscenery with season variation and autogen for a vert large area including the one photosrea in your scenery. I know you cant possibly try all addons for compatibility :) but in theory if one would add you scenery above the Vero-fs scenery in the scenery library, could that work. Of couse beeing a Global owner I could add that one as well in the mix. Any thoughts?

Mike

Well, there goes the budget for whenever this one is released. Thanks Jarrad.  What a fabulous piece of scenery.. I used to fly Vail a lot in FS9, but have not flown there in many years now.. Looks like I will be doing so again soon. Teecee.

Yeah, FINALLY one of those high altitude airports in Colorado!!! For me personally this is one of your best choices (alongside with KPSP and KSEZ) - mid-sized, scenic airports near/between the big hubs! And suitable for all aircraft but heavies which ORBX customers fly: GA, Bizjets, Regional Props and Jets and even for the airliners up to 757s. Now pleeeeeeease continue that line with something like Telluride (KTEX), Page (KPGA), Grand Canyon Airport (KGCN), or even Colorado Springs (KCOS) or Aspen (KASE). What a nice location and what a nice work this is!! Thank you very much for making it! :)

And even better: OpenLC NA and the Aerosoft CRJ are on their way, too!

Damn brotha.....you never cease to amaze me. Not only did you do a phenomenal job recreating the airport itself, but you somehow bottled up the essence of it to give it life....from the iron gate at the jet center to the old rusty coke machine behind the service building in the rental car park lot. It's magical! And if that wasn't enough, you venturned off deep into the valley to bring the entire vail experience to life. Simply amazing.

By the way.....I was surprised to see my falcon 50 (192RS) on the tarmac......great job recreating it for the sim.....but for future reference, I typically drive a black Range Rover in vail.....and not a red wrangler.

Keep up the great work.....I always love the art you bestow on the flight sim community. It's awe-inspiring

I too live in Colorado and am looking forward to this airport and surrounding scenery.  One quick question though; how will this be in terms of compatibility with the Colorado photo real scenery I have installed from Megascenery Earth?  I know yours will have autogen and 3D objects throughout the landclass, but will your simply overlay on top of the other (which would be fine for me) or will there possibly be other conflicts (such as elevation, etc)?

Thanks - looks amazing!

Wow Wow Wow... you don't rest long on your laurels Jarrad! Jackson Hole triple installer is just out and now this to look forward to! Outstanding^N where N is very very large!  Now this looks like an ideal flight from Jackson Hole or indeed up from Sedona, Monument Valley, you name it. Denver Intl. itself is only an hour or so away! In the above comments I only miss one, "my last shots" from Iain. Looking forward.

RLSinCO, do yourself a favour and get the Vero-FS Heart of Colorado scenery that covers the area of Thos Orbx scenery plus a lot more. In addition to the MegasceneryEarth feature the Vero-FS addon also use seasons so you will see snow in winter as well as autogen so much better than Megascenery in my opinion. Hopefully though it will be compatible or at least not look terrible at the borders of the Orbx Eagle County photoarea.

Mike  

Archived