Rocky Mountain High: Welcome to Eagle County Airport, Colorado!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You ORBX guys are something else!! You outdo yourselves with every release, looking forward to this one.

Love the runway textures Jarred especially. Keep up the good work and thanks for your dedication to our community.

Cheers, Zsolt

Really like the idea of global airports with little mini regions, especially for areas that do not have a full region pack yet. Wish all these 'mini regions' didn't require the full region to start with (Jackson Hole, Yosemite, Blue Canyon Nyack, Tahoe, etc). Actually all airports at that. I understand the business model though, and I want all the regions anyways. My wallet just wishes the case were otherwise. :)

I definitely look forward getting this and Sedona/Monument Valley.

Really like the idea of global airports with little mini regions, especially for areas that do not have a full region pack yet. Wish all these 'mini regions' didn't require the full region to start with (Jackson Hole, Yosemite, Blue Canyon Nyack, Tahoe, etc). Actually all airports at that. I understand the business model though, and I want all the regions anyways. My wallet just wishes the case were otherwise. :)

I definitely look forward getting this and Sedona/Monument Valley.

I run Jackson Hole and Tahoe with only Global and UTX installed and they both work fine.

I agree with you though, I wish all the airports were designed to work with just Global as I don't need or want the region packs anymore.

No way!   Just saw this, and this is great.

Now pleeeeeeease continue that line with something like Telluride (KTEX), Page (KPGA), .....

At least KTEX has some Orbx freeware touch, but Page needs it bad! 

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback guys, rest assured there is plenty of work going on behind the scenes to get this ready for you all :)

Jarrad, you say to download the latest libs but the latest libs is 150331 which I downloaded some months ago, is there a new libs coming just before the release of this scenery?

G'day Ken - sorry, I might have been a little pre-emptive with this notice - there will be a new ORBXlibs on the way prior to KEGE release which will contain the important updates for this airport. 

I've got the very plane for Rocky Mountain High. John Denver's C210, N59167.

Great repaint Ron, and well-done for being the first one to draw the John Denver connection. I had forgotten about his C210, didn't he have a Learjet with a pretty out-there paint job too? 

I too live in Colorado and am looking forward to this airport and surrounding scenery.  One quick question though; how will this be in terms of compatibility with the Colorado photo real scenery I have installed from Megascenery Earth?  I know yours will have autogen and 3D objects throughout the landclass, but will your simply overlay on top of the other (which would be fine for me) or will there possibly be other conflicts (such as elevation, etc)?

KEGE is designed to work with FTX Global Base. Whilst I can't imagine there would be too many issues using it with PR products (aside from the obvious colour blending issues), we can't guarantee this as we don't test our airports with photoreal or default scenery. 

I got my Chinook ready to drop in right between those two for a photo shoot mate... :)

Perfect mate - and I expect to see some a couple of manouvres similar to this! (footage taken of a HAATS Blackhawk not far from Eagle-Vail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_z5qVRUJJQ

Hello,

Any idea when this great scenery will be available?

Spinker

G'day Spinker - no release schedule yet I'm sorry, but hopefully these screenshots will give an indication of how much progress has been made. 

hi

i was wondering is it only for ftx global ???or can we get it for fsx ? thx for answering..

G'day Eric - this scenery is designed to blend best with FTX Global Base. Whilst I can't imagine there would be any major problems using it without Global (aside from blending issues at the edges of the scenery), we don't test our products without the recommended base and as such can't provide any guarantees that it will work perfectly. 

Thanks everyone :)

Jarrad

I run Jackson Hole and Tahoe with only Global and UTX installed and they both work fine.

I agree with you though, I wish all the airports were designed to work with just Global as I don't need or want the region packs anymore.

Hmm, well that's good to know. I'm guessing that probably just the border terrains don't match? I thought that regional airports used libraries from the region they're in also?

Just got back from a family vacatin (*how I missed you guys*) and checked in to find this incredible news.... still soaking in the preview shots. Amazing.

Jarrad,

Remember, military people flow do not wear headgear on the flight line. Big no-no.

And what is the Blackhawk in that photo there landing on the medical helipad? Is that a user aircraft, or is it your AI coming and going?

Incredible work.

I have to ask this -- you do the best work I have seen, and you do it in the shortest turn times I have seen. Do you eat/sleep? Are you a droid or something? If so, you are an incredible talented and well-programmed droid.

Well I am the oposite, this looks just amazing and Jarrad is a pro but I wont buy, as it isnt in a region. I just buy airports if they are in region but I guess that s me. Etienne

Wow!  What an awesome surprise.  I had no idea KEGE was being developed, and this looks spectacular, and with a huge PR coverage too!  I do have global base, although I use PR scenery or FTX regions in the US, but either way I will be getting this one.

Cheers,

Thanks very much again guys :) 

Jarrad, how many hours of work goes into something this huge?

The short answer is "far too many to admit to" ha ha! I've got a pretty good schedule that I like to keep to these days, though I did overshoot my own (personal) deadline by a couple of weeks on this one. Usually the last couple of weeks get quite hectic, with many late sessions into the wee small hours of the morning :) 

Remember, military people flow do not wear headgear on the flight line. Big no-no.

And what is the Blackhawk in that photo there landing on the medical helipad? Is that a user aircraft, or is it your AI coming and going?

Thanks for the heads up - military protocols (of any nationality) are not something I'm as up-to-scratch on as I'd like to be. The Blackhawk at Vail Medical is a user aircraft - the Cera Sim version - my understanding is that the majority of SAR operations around Eagle County are conducted by the Colorado ANG rather than civilian operators. The AI helicopter is not dissimilar to the one I made for KPSP - though it does come with a giant helper sign (which may bring back memories of the FSX missions) for those that have trouble finding it. 

I'll be posting a few more shots shortly, thanks again for the nice feedback :) 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Will the airport scenery also work in FSX default terrain as KPSP does too with only a few compromises in the scenery boundaries?

I have no globals but I guess this scenery is a 100% full cover and so inside the scenery everything looks as it should....

Wulf

G'day Wulf,

We don't test our Global airports without Global Base so can't make any guarantees, but as has been mentioned elsewhere I wouldn't expect any major issues with only default textures, aside from the obvious blending issues. In this aspect, KEGE has been made in the same mould as Sedona and Palm Springs, in that it includes it's own core components such as as road traffic, surrounding landclass edits, custom 10m mesh, custom seasons file (to control season variations in ground textures correctly), and some vector edits to main roads, bridges and waterbodies, both within and outside the PR coverage area - so if you have either of those products then it is likely that you will get similar compatibility results.

Cheers,

Jarrad 

• 9 months later...
On 21.8.2015 at 5:42 AM, GordonGekko said:

Please, please, consider doing a package like this for Albuquerque (KABQ) and Santa Fe. A much ignored area by developers but a scenic area that would fit it nice with all the Colorado, Arizona, and California scenery.

Absolutely seconded!

• 3 years later...

It probably will be coming soon being that I just spend a number of hours literally last night making some updates to the default with WED.

Actually, I can only hope that all of my efforts will soon be wasted.

Hint to Orbx staff...I plan on spending a number of hours updating Jackson Hole over the next few evenings. Sure would hate to have all that effort wasted as well...

No, just me, some basic improvements over the default. I was just saying that now that I have grown tired of waiting on Orbx to port the existing airport over to X-plane, and started just making improvements on my own,something will probably get announced rendering all of my work useless. I certainly hope that happens.

That is fantastic! I would be happy to help you out. I honestly doubt that Orbx will do anything. The project was announced in the latter end of 2018 and there have been no updates since. I think it is safe to say that the project is dead. 

1 hour ago, jmsantafe said:

Could we expect to see the Orbx version for X-Plane @Jarrad Marshall?

That is our hope! (Orbx - ya listening ?) The project clearly did not die. I have spent many happy hours with it in Aerofly, and it is currently available for the various FS and P3D platforms as well. So they were faithful to complete it. Let's just hope that they get it ported over to XP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This has been a wonderful addition to the Orbx family, beautifully crafted. EGE is one of the most challenging airports for a commercial jetliner to land and depart from.  There are three ridges to clear at below usual minimums and an offset final with a relatively short runway to aim for. On departure, smaller private jets can go straight out over Red Flat Mountain, but larger commercial 737 and 757 aircraft have to make a hard left after wheels up to 215 degrees and climb fast through a gap to the south of Red Flat to get to 10,000 feet before turning back towards Denver or continuing on to the west.  This is a very faithful representation of the terrain and the airport facility. Since its release, it has been one of my favorite airports to fly my former LDS767 (very light payload since this is really only done commercially with 737 or 757) and now my FDS single seat 737-800NG full flight trainer.

A major construction project was completed last year which added new arrival gates with jetways to the airport. Encourage you to consider updating this great creation with the recent additions to the airport.

Archived