Welcome to Sedona: America's Most Scenic Airport!

8c020a18fd25ee72886f1aaf16fe534d.jpg

G'day everyone,

I am delighted to lift the veil off my latest project, KSEZ Sedona Airport for FTX Global. Following on from the recent Palm Springs Intl, I have decided to tackle a different type of airport, heading a little further east into the heart of the American Southwest. This product not only includes a highly-detailed rendition of Sedona Airport, it also includes a huge coverage area encompassing the northern portion of the Verde Valley, as well as the escarpment and canyons heading north towards Flagstaff. Not for the faint-hearted aviator, Sedona is a challenging airport suitable for GA, small-large business jets, military aircraft and helicopters. Situated in central Arizona, Sedona is conveniently located a short flight away from other scenic destinations such as Grand Canyon Airport, Pheonix, Las Vegas, Monument Valley and Palm Springs. As an added bonus, I've also included a "lite" airfield just beyond the southern perimeter of the coverage area; Cottonwood Airport (P52) is located in the lower portion of the Verde Valley.

Sedona is a city straddling the northern Verde Valley in central Arizona. Famous for its scenic beauty, Sedona is home to dramatic red sandstone formations that provide a dramatic skyline from all areas of the city. The area came to prominence in the Hollywood Golden Age, with dozens of Western movies shot on location, including 3:10 to Yuma (1957), Guitar Johnny (1954) and Angel and the Badman (1947), amongst many others. In more recent years, Sedona has become a major tourist hub, with hiking, mountain-biking and other outdoor activities proving highly popular around the nearby canyons and mesas.

Arguably as famous as the town itself, Sedona Airport (KSEZ) is often given the moniker of "America's Most Scenic Airport" - they even put up a sign at the airport saying as much! A small non-towered airport, the airfield is nonetheless highly popular with pilots and tourists due to its scenic location. KSEZ is perched atop a high mesa approximately 500ft above the surrounding townsite; this coupled with the surrounding terrain makes Sedona a highly dangerous airfield for landings from either runway direction. Turblence and "hot-and-high" conditions have been factors in many crashes at the airport over the years. Home to dozens of GA aircraft of all sizes, the airport is also home to all types of business jets, with even the largest of types (Gulfstream VI, Global Express etc) able to make use of the 5200ft runway. As well as these types, the airport regularly hosts visits from nearby USMC and USAF bases; the large helipad situated at the southern end of the field was specifically constructed to cater for CH-53 helicopters. Regular tourist flights are conducted from the airfield; several FBOs provide scenic charters utilising Jetranger helicopters and WACO YMF-5 biplanes.

Additionally, I'd like to use this opportunity to let you all know that it is very important to install the latest ORBXlibs alongside Sedona. Whilst it always important to ensure you have the latest ORBXlibs installed, it is even more so with Sedona as the new custom autogen variants are included - a vital component of the scenery package. As such, if you are looking forward to purchasing KSEZ I'd recommend running the following steps:

1. Go to fullterrain,com/support and download the latest version of the ORBX Libraries

2. Once installed, open FTX-Central via the shortcut on your desktop, select a region and press apply. This will cycle and update core autogen files to the latest versions.

3. This process can be done either before or after installing your purchased copy of Sedona.

I hope these screenshots give a good idea of what to expect with this scenery - keep an eye on the forums over the next week for more information and screenshots!

FEATURES

Ultra-detailed rendition of KSEZ Sedona Airport

- Huge coverage area at 30cm and 1m resolution -  over 800 sq km in total!

- Entirely new Custom HD Autogen Vegetation exclusive to Sedona; over 21 new desert types heavily optimised for best performance.
Custom Static Aircraft unique to KSEZ, including WACO YMF-5 and Learjet 35 types.

- Ten new ground vehicle types specific to Sedona Airport
Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and unique night-lighting methods used for maximum realism

- Custom landclass, vector data, custom seasons file and 10m Holgermesh to ensure maximum fidelity. 
- Plenty of VFR landmarks and POI to explore including the Midgley Bridge, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Teal Arches McDonalds, City Lookout, Shrine of the Red Rocks and many more.

- "Lite" rendition of nearby Cottonwood Airport (P52) featured, including 30cm resolution photoreal underlay.

- Unique animated wind-chimes dynamically controlled by wind speed.
- Full suite of ObjectFlow, PeopleFlow2, TextureFlow and more included

- Strongly optimised for good performance with complex aircraft types

- Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX GLOBAL (Base) in both P3Dv2 and FSX/P3Dv1.4. 

COVERAGE AREA

21efa65a60f2b72a022484ba8a560f97.jpg

Enjoy!

Jarrad

722d1ff4473348c5ff39ed3eec3c1037.jpg

237463a0e3470b215b6ca5a93d6edda5.jpg

32291f50455dc1aa9c0f0cffd9bf0869.jpg

c5d47a90355a392c3993a56403be08f5.jpg

d2a7a9b1c85fea9cd508cfb0c778073b.jpg

c50d11bccf2c5be648bd5182937db02d.jpg

8c96a3845a578ed980f8e980d7753d8d.jpg

58a0a1b1a7bf637092fe562c1e0e0ef5.jpg

4fb0fdb81071c977ece3ff7a85e44da9.jpg

0132a2085c49615de389ed2b5b0bd76e.jpg

808a6f68e928d9a23ec2e93806cfe3bb.jpg

0e2f6458d5b7e5cd4c1d178e109bfdc5.jpg

6a97ad26abae161940b8d0adf61088f0.jpg

c4943d343404e5200a228784561f3b9a.jpg

267cde792fbe2672863d17ba5e64bdf5.jpg

3b1d93dd012a51cce4dae0d30f8ac5ec.jpg

63ae2c929865680d1e12bcce8ec8bb68.jpg

c46b6c0c31a80645df0a103065bf7f92.jpg

5f820f11fe601bb2c117e2c04e84607a.jpg

807b9842041e164ae64c75fd81a8d4d7.jpg

6c0021fe887e7f554d51d124280bcdad.jpg

a0e5115ab5f8fc4444984ccaf9529351.jpg

Oh wow. A must buy for me, especially as Sedona is one place I've explored in person.

I got fully on board with Orbx only last December, but it seems to me that 2015 is going to be Orbx's biggest year yet, with so many amazing, high-quality products coming out in a short period of time!

Another beautiful piece of work Jarrad. Nice to see these airports jump around just outside of full regions and that we are not confined only to development within them. Open LC NA will also be another "plus" to GA flyers like me to improve the overall experience in flying from a "full region" to one of these other fully developed airports. Bring them all on! 

Thanks Jarrad.

This is a great news. KSEZ is one of my (real) favorite field when flying Arizona. Nor only, the approach make you fly around a outstanding scenic aera (mostly on left hand runway 21) but I'm always too low on final, afraid of being too long ;-) It's also surprising to make left hand runway 21 to avoid the urban area, but makes you fly close to MESA ;-) Airport in the sky ! 

6015840473_861cc4f689_b_d.jpg

A shot to compare with screen shots preview :

4954166649_0e5e433341_b_d.jpg

Enjoy, a real landing, I shot in 2011, on board a Cessna 182 G1000 on runway 21 :

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZczJNY2Hbo

Can't wait for this Jarrad scenery !! Will be first buyer !

PS: Could we expect Red Rock scenarii by Frank Dainese ? ;-) Just a joke, it's great so far to have yet the KSEZ scenery !

9684490412_be2e81f1e6_b_d.jpg

Hi

My investment in FTX Global is now bearing fruit.

AYPY, KPSP, CNK4, EDVY and now KSEZ.

Jarrad, from your pictures I would say a very worthy successor to KPSP. Looking forward to once more getting my card out of my pocket.

Kind regards

Ian

Jarrad,

To use an English phrase - This is gobsmackingly good!!  When I worked at Davis-Monthan AB inear Tucson we used to go up regularly to Flagstaff on business, and we always came back to Phoenix via the "scenic route"  through Sedona.  Your detail is fantastic, and I've stopped several times outside Sedona at the metal span bridge you feature in your screen shots above.  Can't wait for this one.

Kev

Beautiful and surely a must, I can almost see John Wayne near the Cathedral Rock! I only wish that an ORBX region would eventually see the daylight here being so near to Grand Canyon, FTX Monument Valley, and the Saguaro National Park just south to Tucson, and a short flight from California. Arizona does truely have a lot to offer that would show its best in a full-fat region.  ::) Great work Jarrad!

Oh dear, not another airport to buy!

This looks like a winner for sure.

You guys are really giving us a fine and varied world to fly in.

Flown this one in the freeware version and I thought that was excellent.

I think I will be paying this area another visit (along with a mass of other simmers) sometimes soon.

By chance I caught "The Last Wagon" on TV the other day, and was so impressed with the scenery I looked it up - Another Sedona location.  Checking it out on Google Earth I thought "now that place would make a great Orbx-quality airport".

Thanks Jarrad, you've made a wish come true!

Good Gobly Goo!  I never knew the desert could be so stunning! 

This begs for a virtual flying club to be stationed here - anyone interested when this comes out?

Let me know. I belong to Digital Theme Park and they have a TS3 setup and a FSX server or we could do FSCloud

Archived