This Week's Meaningless Topic (#73) (Jan 29)

Hi all. We all share the hobby of flight simulation, but most of us have additional hobbies. For example, I write novels (available on Amazon, hint, hint) and make bookmarks. Let's see what other interesting hobbies are out there.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  In addition to flight simulation, what other hobbies do you enjoy?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I have several...

1) I love alpine/downhill skiing and I go on ski trips every season 

2) I am an avid camper and hike. Love camping in the mountains

3) I have a Jeep Wrangler that I do lots of work on and go on several off-road adventures every year

Cheers!

Landon

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

In my younger days I was a storm chaser in the Midwest , now I chase virtually . It goes without saying I'm a huge weather nerd . I also enjoy politics as long as my blood pressure stay's within limit's . >:(:P:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

I have several...

3) I have a Jeep Wrangler that I do lots of work on and go on several off-road adventures every year

Cheers!

Landon

Two of my favorite YT channels are "Marty up North" for his hiking video's and "Slim Potatohead" for his camping video's .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I have several...

Cheers!

Landon

Ah youth!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I love trains had many 00 scale when I was a kid.

My boys took an interest, and now my 4yo Grandson has a bigger interest.

Unfortunately mine are in a box due to lack of space.:(

I also like a cold throffy or 10.:rolleyes:

cheers

Gumby

Me too.  I have a really nice (and pretty large) HO model railroad, set in SE New England in the 1890s.  But there it sits. I haven't done anything with it for a few years.  Building and maintaining a model RR involves working under the layout.  My arthritis has gotten so bad that I can't do that any more.  Hopefully after another surgery (sidetracked by Covid). I can get back to it.  I am happy though, that before I got too bad, I took the opportunity to fire and operate (as engineer) in training, real steam trains in New Mexico/Colorado and in Connecticut.

From time to time I do enjoy building models.  In recent years I built a large scale model of the Titanic and smaller scale of LST 207, both ships with a family connection.  Problem is space to display them.

But part of my FS hobby involves building a "Sim Pit." Just recently finished the third rendition.

Ken

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I spend a lot of time with my best buddy Karl. He is getting old and demands a lot of attention, but he always buys me a few beers :P when I work on him and we have a larf or two. Here is a picture of him. Twenty-four years and humming along. He is my daily driver and he insists on it.  Have a great weekend and stay save. Cheers Karl.

thumbnail_DSCF1473.thumb.jpg.437a14ab8e0c4329b926177c69807b89.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Ah youth!!!!

Lol...you may see me as young (I am 51 btw) but after 28 years in the Light Infantry and four combat tours, I sure as Hell feel old as dirt some days. Keeping up my activities helps keep my mind young and keeps me moving despite the aches and pains. It's also an important way for me to not focus on some of the demons ;) That, and I refuse to quit or slow down :) 

Landon

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Lol...you may see me as young (I am 51 btw) but after 28 years in the Light Infantry and four combat tours, I sure as Hell feel old as dirt some days. Keeping up my activities helps keep my mind young and keeps me moving despite the aches and pains. It's also an important way for me to not focus on some of the demons ;) That, and I refuse to quit or slow down :) 

Landon

Long may it last, friend Landon!

My first naval assignment was to the old WW2 aircraft carrier USS Wasp, CVS 18.  I lived on th the fourth deck down, worked on the sixth deck up (4 & 06, ten deck commute), then pulled after steering watches on the sixth deck.  A LOT of up and down ladders, plus going through water tight doors does a job on the joints.  By age 22 the arthritis was a problem, acknowledged by the VA.  But I stayed with it (Reserves) another 20 years nonetheless, finishing with a tour in Italy and Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield/Storm.  Knees a mess by then.  Still kept going until a few years ago when it really got to me.  Caught up to me in my late 60s. I'm 73 now.  My real regret: I always wanted a cruising sailboat.  Now that I can afford it, my physical condition, and that of my wife, make it impossible to sail it, or for the matter, even maintain it.

So, Landon, and everyone else, enjoy it while you can, and if it's really on your "bucket list" DO IT, and do it soon!!!

Ken

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Long may it last, friend Landon!

My first naval assignment was to the old WW2 aircraft carrier USS Wasp, CVS 18.  I lived on th the fourth deck down, worked on the sixth deck up (4 & 06, ten deck commute), then pulled after steering watches on the sixth deck.  A LOT of up and down ladders, plus going through water tight doors does a job on the joints.  By age 22 the arthritis was a problem, acknowledged by the VA.  But I stayed with it (Reserves) another 20 years nonetheless, finishing with a tour in Italy and Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield/Storm.  Knees a mess by then.  Still kept going until a few years ago when it really got to me.  Caught up to me in my late 60s. I'm 73 now.  My real regret: I always wanted a cruising sailboat.  Now that I can afford it, my physical condition, and that of my wife, make it impossible to sail it, or for the matter, even maintain it.

So, Landon, and everyone else, enjoy it while you can, and if it's really on your "bucket list" DO IT, and do it soon!!!

Ken

Sage advice Ken, and that is what I tell myself a lot of the time ;) I too was deployed to Desert Shield/Storm (was my first combat tour, and had only been in the Army for about a year at that point). I completely understand the knees. Light Infantry is a huge misnomer....light only means we don't have vehicle transport. We typically carried 110 -120 pounds on our back (that does NOT include weapon and body armor/kit) and walked EVERYWHERE. On missions, it's a constant take a knee, get in the prone, get back up and walk, rinse repeat for miles and miles. So, that wears out knees darn quickly. Add to that, kneeling with all that weight on gravel, tree roots, concrete, rocks....you get the idea. My knees are shot. And if you think we had knee pads, think again. Too hard to run and shoot with those damn bulky things on. Body armor is bad enough. So, my knees hurt all the time, every day now. But, I just suck up the pain and keep going about my activities. I know getting too inactive will only make the knee situation that much worse. That is one of the benefits for skiing, at least for me, is that is does not bother my knees at all. That is a plus!

Landon

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

By the way, this is not to say I sit around feeling sorry for myself.  I'm still active and working.  Though "semi retired" I still work part time at my old job of Hatter in a living history museum (9 months a year).  A rather physical job, just I have to pace myself because I can't stand for too long at a stretch.  And I love flight simulator and doing it with an accurate cockpit and PilotEdge ATC.

But doing some stuff takes longer than it used to.

Ken

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Me too.  I have a really nice (and pretty large) HO model railroad, set in SE New England in the 1890s.  But there it sits. I haven't done anything with it for a few years.  Building and maintaining a model RR involves working under the layout.  My arthritis has gotten so bad that I can't do that any more.  Hopefully after another surgery (sidetracked by Covid). I can get back to it.  I am happy though, that before I got too bad, I took the opportunity to fire and operate (as engineer) in training, real steam trains in New Mexico/Colorado and in Connecticut.

From time to time I do enjoy building models.  In recent years I built a large scale model of the Titanic and smaller scale of LST 207, both ships with a family connection.  Problem is space to display them.

But part of my FS hobby involves building a "Sim Pit." Just recently finished the third rendition.

Ken

Ken I'm sure dusting off and cleaning tracks is

a put off as well. Everything needs to run smoothly.

I'm glad you still have yours set up. Thumbs up for Orbx and thumbs

up for Hornby.

Now for most of us it's downloading simulators which saves the

back pain I guess.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Model trains as well. A large layout that covers most of the basement. I get inspiration a couple of times a year and will work on it for a few weeks but eventually end up back upstairs flying. Probably spend most of the time rearranging track; Maybe I will get some scenery done one day.

Larry

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Owning a business can be rather stressful (especially during these times). My wife has been doing yoga for many years and always encouraged me to take it up. Well I did, and I wish I had taken it up many years ago also. 
Namaste

Graeme :)

• Like 4

At 88 I'm too old to do anything active now.  I don't really want to remember my younger life much of which was taken up with the wars and the aftermath.  

When I retired I continued to play golf but it became too embarrassing when the Pro's had to come out with the buggy to the 15th or 16th hole to collect me because I was too knackered to carry on!  I also wrote and had published half a dozen books - all fiction.

So, now I read, mainly Westerns about things before 1901, the year Wyatt Earp died.  I think his friend Doc Holliday died quite a bit before that because he suffered badly with consumption now known as TB. 

And I enjoy the forum and a continuing friendship with Rodger and, of course I shouldn't forget, I listen a lot to the music of Vera Lynn and The Seekers. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

During the mid 50s I got into Hi-Fi, building my own bass reflex speaker cabinet. I purchased a Heath Kit amp and pre-amp, an Electro Voice 12" woofer along with there mid-range and High frequency horns and crossover. Then stereo came along and I went into buying high end equipment such as Marantz, Fisher, Yamaha, Bob Carver and Mcintosh amps and pre-amps among others. Infinity, M&K, Klipsch and Altec Lansing model 19 speakers with there 15in woofer and mid and HF horns weighing in at 150lbs each and measuring 4ft by 4ft which I still own. I like FS, but music is still number 1 with my extensive DVD concert collection. 

Oh, pizza and beer is still pretty high on the list. :D

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Still with the Computer - but this time Digital Art Paintings - and Brush paintings with an Easel and Canvas

It used to be also Videos - converting old 8MM etc - and photography - panoramas

This is a panorama of what was my hobby room - until I got to 80

0002.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I play tennis. My wife and I play a mixed doubles match every Monday, I organize a men's four match every Wednesday, and every other Friday I play a singles match with an old workmate colleague, and I mean old - he's 76 and I'll be 80 come June! But we still play a good game, can't stop now or probably wouldn't start again! Tennis and flightsimming, it's a good life!

Don.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

My other main hobby is recreating the early 1820's American Fur Trade period and playing my piano.

My camp

scan0008.thumb.jpg.a0f56946cefc1ab13cef585673f9f9d9.jpg

Very interesting, Rob.  You and I work two parts of the early 19th century fur trade: you as provider, I as a middle man to the ultimate consumer, the hat wearing gentleman.  As noted above and in other posts, I make men's felt hats in an early 19th century (c. 1813-1830) rural hat manufactory, preserved at Old Bethpage Village Restoration. Although I work primarily with wool felt, better hats in the 19th century were made of fur felt, especially beaver.  I talk about this, and the importance of the beaver fur trade to the settlement and development of the United States.  

During the period I interpret beaver was the primary material, but "imitation beaver (muscrat) and wool were popular as well.  Rabbit comes in a bit later.  Pre-pandemic we would have a rabbit show every spring at the museum.  It largely attracted little girls and their dads.  I quickly learned not to refer to rabbits as " hats on the hoof - er, paw."  That was sure to start the water works.

Not so very far from you, in Vancouver WA there is the Fort Vancouver reconstruction.  Have you ever been there?  I have found their website useful.

Ken

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Very interesting, Rob.  You and I work two parts of the early 19th century fur trade: you as provider, I as a middle man to the ultimate consumer, the hat wearing gentleman.  As noted above and in other posts, I make men's felt hats in an early 19th century (c. 1813-1830) rural hat manufactory, preserved at Old Bethpage Village Restoration. Although I work primarily with wool felt, better hats in the 19th century were made of fur felt, especially beaver.  I talk about this, and the importance of the beaver fur trade to the settlement and development of the United States.  

During the period I interpret beaver was the primary material, but "imitation beaver (muscrat) and wool were popular as well.  Rabbit comes in a bit later.  Pre-pandemic we would have a rabbit show every spring at the museum.  It largely attracted little girls and their dads.  I quickly learned not to refer to rabbits as " hats on the hoof - er, paw."  That was sure to start the water works.

Not so very far from you, in Vancouver WA there is the Fort Vancouver reconstruction.  Have you ever been there?  I have found their website useful.

Ken

Here a couple of pictures:IMG_8729-2.thumb.jpg.bb0dd94525bf98811db80a461e60d5df.jpgIMG_8736-2.thumb.jpg.89680ab9cd078b3dea104539a011f239.jpgIMG_8736-2.thumb.jpg.89680ab9cd078b3dea104539a011f239.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Gee, Landon.  I never thought of this as my hobby.  Although I very much enjoy the work, and have returned to it in retirement, this has been my  job, or at least a major part of it, for nearly 30 years.  Before retiring at the end of 2011 I had other responsibilities as supervisor and program coordinator and developer, in addition to running the hat shop.  When I went back in 2016, though I was hired strictly as the hatter.  Incidentally, when I returned my wife was also hired to run food preparation and cooking programs.  

Though I was once full time, we now both work three days a week, (nine or so) months a year.

Ken

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Gee, Landon.  I never thought of this as my hobby.  Although I very much enjoy the work, and have returned to it in retirement, this has been my  job, or at least a major part of it, for nearly 30 years.  Before retiring at the end of 2011 I had other responsibilities as supervisor and program coordinator and developer, in addition to running the hat shop.  When I went back in 2016, though I was hired strictly as the hatter.  Incidentally, when I returned my wife was also hired to run food preparation and cooking programs.  

Though I was once full time, we now both work three days a week, (nine or so) months a year.

Ken

Oh, sorry Ken, my misunderstanding....I forgot that you had said it was your work. Again, sorry about that. At any rate, it was still nice to see making those hats that you have mentioned ;) 

Landon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Here a couple of pictures:IMG_8729-2.thumb.jpg.bb0dd94525bf98811db80a461e60d5df.jpgIMG_8736-2.thumb.jpg.89680ab9cd078b3dea104539a011f239.jpgIMG_8736-2.thumb.jpg.89680ab9cd078b3dea104539a011f239.jpg

Also very interesting Ken!   Almost everything in my pre 1840's camp I made myself since all the old crafts have always fascinated me.  I have some great hats (but not of beaver) and would love to see you make one.  The beaver trade stopped almost at once when hats began to be made of silk.  Not sure if silk is as waterproof at the beaver hats buts  that's fashion for ya.  ^_^

I love shooting the old muzzle loader rifles so that's what got me started in this direction in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The story of the silk hat is more complicated.  To start, beaver was a good part of the reason northern Europeans settled North America.  They may have come looking for something else, but what they did find was beaver. Since the beaver population had been decimated in Europe by the 17th century ( totally extinct in England from c. 1600), the plentiful beaver quickly became a major trade commodity.  But it takes four beaver pelts to make one hat; at that rate beaver had become scarce in the East by 1800.  When Jefferson sent Lewis and Clark to explore the West he charged them to find sources of beaver.  Meanwhile, in 1794 A hatter in London named Blackwell invented the "Silk" hat.  It's not really made of silk, but rather of buckram and paste board.  That is then lined with silk and covered with "Hatter's Plush;" A thin laminate of fur (usually beaver) on a silk base.  It was a hard sell at first, considered cheap and not suitable for a Gentleman.  But later Prince Albert decided he liked the hat, made it acceptable and popular.  This popularity was in no small way driven by the fact that beaver is getting scarce and dreadfully expensive, in spite of the industrialization of the hat trade in the 1830s.  

Although beaver is very water resistant, hats are stiffened and waterproofed with a hat stiffiner.  There were many recipes.  Today we generally use a very thin shellac.  Modern "Beaver" hats are almost always made of a blend. Pure beaver is just too expensive.

Ken

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

The story of the silk hat is more complicated.  To start, beaver was a good part of the reason northern Europeans settled North America.  They may have come looking for something else, but what they did find was beaver. Since the beaver population had been decimated in Europe by the 17th century ( totally extinct in England from c. 1600), the plentiful beaver quickly became a major trade commodity.  But it takes four beaver pelts to make one hat; at that rate beaver had become scarce in the East by 1800.  When Jefferson sent Lewis and Clark to explore the West he charged them to find sources of beaver.  Meanwhile, in 1794 A hatter in London named Blackwell invented the "Silk" hat.  It's not really made of silk, but rather of buckram and paste board.  That is then lined with silk and covered with "Hatter's Plush;" A thin laminate of fur (usually beaver) on a silk base.  It was a hard sell at first, considered cheap and not suitable for a Gentleman.  But later Prince Albert decided he liked the hat, made it acceptable and popular.  This popularity was in no small way driven by the fact that beaver is getting scarce and dreadfully expensive, in spite of the industrialization of the hat trade in the 1830s.  

Although beaver is very water resistant, hats are stiffened and waterproofed with a hat stiffiner.  There were many recipes.  Today we generally use a very thin shellac.  Modern "Beaver" hats are almost always made of a blend. Pure beaver is just too expensive.

Ken

Ken, please understand how very, very hard it is to forego all the "Mad Hatter" jokes ^_^

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Ken, please understand how very, very hard it is to forego all the "Mad Hatter" jokes ^_^

Don't tell me!!!!!

I spend an awful lot of time talking about that!

It's actually a very interesting story, but only about third of the visitors who bring it up are interested in where it comes from, what it really involves, and that the Rev. Mr. Dodgson's  (AKA Lewis Carroll)

"Mad Hatter" is not a hatter at all but a politician.  Goes back to the free exchange between Europeans and Native Americans, not of ideas, but diseases (syphilis), processing pelts to make felt (yes, pelt and felt are the same word - Grimm's Law).  Long story.  I won't clog up this chatty forum, but anyone who wants the whole story can PM me.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, adambar said:

During the mid 50s I got into Hi-Fi, building my own bass reflex speaker cabinet. I purchased a Heath Kit amp and pre-amp, an Electro Voice 12" woofer along with there mid-range and High frequency horns and crossover. Then stereo came along and I went into buying high end equipment such as Marantz, Fisher, Yamaha, Bob Carver and Mcintosh amps and pre-amps among others. Infinity, M&K, Klipsch and Altec Lansing model 19 speakers with there 15in woofer and mid and HF horns weighing in at 150lbs each and measuring 4ft by 4ft which I still own. I like FS, but music is still number 1 with my extensive DVD concert collection. 

Oh, pizza and beer is still pretty high on the list. :D

You're into music Adam? Who would have guessed? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Also very interesting Ken!   Almost everything in my pre 1840's camp I made myself since all the old crafts have always fascinated me.  

I love shooting the old muzzle loader rifles

That's the beauty of working in a Living History Museum.  You get to learn and do the old crafts, but you also learn the history, the social aspects.  You learn a lot, spend many, many hours in research, and then teach (show and tell) at least some of what you learn. In addition to the hat shop, I was the #2 blacksmith, worked on the farm, did the cider making in the Fall, and learned broom making, though I never practiced it.  Although as a man I never actually do cooking and food prep/ preservation I had to be knowledgeable about it so I can support those who actually do it.  That doesn't include programs like Decoration Day (1868) or Independance Day (various years). This was my second choice as a career, but it proved very rewarding.

Ken

• Like 5

recently started doing a lot more walking in the country, got a dodgy right knee, age, past time in the infantry etc catching up with me but I think keeping moving helps....daughters recently bought me and the wife National Trust membership and there are lots of places to go and see...over the last few years I have really gotten into cooking, get a lot of enjoyment from it and I find it a very relaxing thing to do, like it when someone eats something new you've made and thoroughly enjoys it....oh and every now and then I get the Scalextrics out, not much space or I would like a permanent setup...

• Like 5

I played golf until I took early retirement when I was 55. Instead of using the time trying to get my handicap down to single figures (was a creditable 11 at the time), I decided to fulfil my lifelong ambition of getting my PPL. I then had a share in a Grumman Cheetah for several years until one of the group decided to rearrange the wings on an aborted take off from Barton airfield on the outskirts of Manchester. I then turned to cycling to help keep the weight off and at the age of 67 I get in around 300 miles each month, and thus don't feel guilty having a beer or two in the evening.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 1/30/2022 at 7:48 PM, Ken Q said:

That's the beauty of working in a Living History Museum.  You get to learn and do the old crafts, but you also learn the history, the social aspects.  You learn a lot, spend many, many hours in research, and then teach (show and tell) at least some of what you learn. In addition to the hat shop, I was the #2 blacksmith, worked on the farm, did the cider making in the Fall, and learned broom making, though I never practiced it.  Although as a man I never actually do cooking and food prep/ preservation I had to be knowledgeable about it so I can support those who actually do it.  That doesn't include programs like Decoration Day (1868) or Independance Day (various years). This was my second choice as a career, but it proved very rewarding.

I also spend a couple of days a week during the summer at Calgary's Heritage Park doing telegraphy. We have a circuit set up between 2 stations with a third available if we get enough people. Just learned the telegraph in the last 2 years but most of us are able to send and receive messages now. We also have one member and a couple of other mentors who worked on the railways as telegraph operators. We are in costume and explain the importance of the "Victorian Internet".

Larry

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

I also spend a couple of days a week during the summer at Calgary's Heritage Park doing telegraphy. We have a circuit set up between 2 stations with a third available if we get enough people. Just learned the telegraph in the last 2 years but most of us are able to send and receive messages now. We also have one member and a couple of other mentors who worked on the railways as telegraph operators. We are in costume and explain the importance of the "Victorian Internet".

Larry

This is really great, Larry.  We have one telegraph key in our collection, and I've always wanted to get another one and set up a system as you describe.  Never happened, though.  Part of our problem was where to put it. We have one building, the Layton General Store, that is late enough (1866) and sufficiently public that it could logically have had a telegraph service, but it never did.  For one thing the infrastructure didn't exist in the area at the time.

Just was looking at Calgary Heritage Park website.  I am really impressed!!!!  Seems like a really great facility.  You even have a steam train.  That was in the original plan for my museum, but like so many great ideas, that also never happened.

Ken

• Like 2

Hi Ken:

We have two operating steam locomotives and actually operate them double headed during Railway Days in the summer. As operator agents we also hoop orders up to the trains when we are in the stations. Fortunately we have a couple of members of the telegraph club who worked for the local telephone company at one time so they keep the equipment operating. A lot of obscure technical details that we need to know to make it operate between stations.

Larry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Larry,

I downloaded the map of your museum, and I find it very interesting.  I'm amazed at how much railroad is in 127 acres; A yard with turntable, A couple of stations, and a nice loop of track with sidings.  I also noticed the fort, mission, village center.  A lot there!  The museum where I work has almost twice the acreage and is far more spread out as might be expected from a facility dedicated to illustrating the agricultural history of the region.  We also concentrate on the time frame of late 18th century to the American Civil War, 1861 - 1865.  

An oddity we have on site is the Museum of American Armor.  They are located on one under utilized corner of our acreage and show the development of tanks and other military vehicles from early 20th century on.  We do one or two programs with them.  Strange bedfellows!

Ken

• Like 1