This Week's Meaningless Topic (#70) (Jan 8)

Hi all. Soccer, basketball, lacrosse, hockey, volleyball, rugby, cricket, American football, baseball, water polo--team sports are popular world-wide and, one suspects, popular with Forum participants as well. Go into any decent bar and you'll soon hear that some sports are superior to others and some teams are more worthy of cheers--exactly which sports and which teams is of course the gist of much conversation. Which brings us to this week's topic...

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What is your favorite team sport, and which team within that sport most has your fandom? (BONUS POINT: What brand of beer goes best with watching your favorite team play your favorite team sport?)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Generally I'm not much of a sports fan, but I do enjoy watching the occasional baseball game (or where I work: Base Ball, 1870s rules).  I like our local minor league team, the Long Island  Ducks.  The stadium is small and intimate, and prices much more reasonable.  And pretty close and easy drive.without going into NYC.  

Ken

• Like 3

I play field hockey, and I love watching it (although it is rarely shown in Streams or live TV). Gives some good conversation with many nations of the world.

Besides or national teams (Honamas and Malanas) my own club http://www.dhc-hannover.de/ has my fandom. Not much to travel, as the home and even some away games are held within cycling distance.

Luckily enough we can vary between the beers served: My hometown brand https://becks.de/ or the local ones https://www.herrenhaeuser.de/ or https://www.gilde1546.com/ .

• Like 4

My favorite team sport by far is Ice Hockey, and my favorite team is an NHL team, the Nashville Predators. I was stationed in Tennessee, 45 miles north of Nashville for about 18 years of my 28 year military career, so I was right there when Nashville got their NHL team in the mid 90's (prior to that, they had a minor league team, the Nashville Knights). I have been to hundreds of games Preds and Knights games up until I moved from TN in 2014. I still catch them play when they are on the road here in Colorado, and once in awhile when I manage a trip back to Nashville. 

As to my favorite beer when watching hockey...well, that's easy...why, any ice cold beer of course! :D

Cheers!

Landon 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Football - as it is rightly known, not soccer:D was my favourite sport for several decades however in my opinion the huge salaries the players get nowadays has tainted the game for me. No longer are players at your favourite club for the whole of their careers so do not have the same affiliation as the long suffering fans. Major cycling events - especially the main three, Tour de  France, Giro d'Italia and La Vuelta Espania are what I look forward to, but even then having read a number of books on the extent of doping, leaves me to wonder if the riders are genuinely "clean". Any form of beer is suitable when watching sport, especially when combined with potato crisps (chips in the non-English speaking parts of the world:huh::rolleyes:

Edited by flyingfish55
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Football (Aussie Rules)

My team is Hawthorn, I've followed them all my life.

However the game has changed for the worst with 

new rules year after year, they have spoilt it.

Bring back the Biff.:angry:

Beer. Local brew Boags or anything else that has a head 

and bubbles.:rolleyes:

cheers

Gumby

• Like 7

Cricket and, of course, Australia is my team although I enjoy watching and admire the many other country representative teams that we regularly beat most of the time :D as for beer which I can longer consume it used to be Tooheys OLD with a nice pint of Guinness now and then B) sadly my real beer SP became unavailable in Australia some years ago.  The other sports I love to watch - V8 supercars, darts and snooker - are not really team sports but more individual achievements.

• Like 3

Used to love watching American football, especially the Green Bay Packers. But the games began being interrupted every few minutes for commercials, and I ceased to enjoy. Nowadays, we don't have a TV hookup, so I watch sports clips on YouTube. As for beer, I've been clean and sober for forty-eight years, but it was good old Budweiser in the day.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

For me rugby union. The Queensland Reds are the team I follow. My dream is to go to an Australian All Blacks game at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, a great stadium. My beer of choice is Coopers Sparkling Ale. Counting down to the rugby season.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, boetie said:

For me rugby union. The Queensland Reds are the team I follow. My dream is to go to an Australian All Blacks game at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, a great stadium. My beer of choice is Coopers Sparkling Ale. Counting down to the rugby season.

Cheers

Graeme :)

I thought you went for football.:D

I know we won't get started.;)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

I forgot to mention the Sam Adams.

Greg

I too forgot to mention the beer.  Yes, Sam Adams is a favorite, but I like to support the local breweries like Blue Point.  

When in England I loved the Bitters.  Here in the States they can be hard to find, or like Fuller's ESB, A bit expensive.  But the local breweries make a nice selection of IPAs which are nice.

For a number of years I had been doing my own brewing, but as my knees got worse it was another hobby I had to give up.

Ken

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Ken Q said:

I too forgot to mention the beer.  Yes, Sam Adams is a favorite, but I like to support the local breweries like Blue Point.  

When in England I loved the Bitters.  Here in the States they can be hard to find, or like Fuller's ESB, A bit expensive.  But the local breweries make a nice selection of IPAs which are nice.

For a number of years I had been doing my own brewing, but as my knees got worse it was another hobby I had to give up.

Ken

Sam Adams is local for me!:rolleyes: I have not brewed beer since college.

Greg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Sam Adams is local for me!:rolleyes: I have not brewed beer since college.

Greg

When the "Craft Beers" first started hitting the market, Sam Adams was the "local" brew.  But since then many smaller, more local brewers have come along.   Knowing, from experience, how hard they work, I like to support them. But Sam Adams is a great go to when choice is limited.  

Of the major commercial brands we like Pabst, crisp and light, and Yeunglings lager, from America's oldest brewery (how they survived Prohibition is a mystery).

We typically by three growlers of locally brewed beer a week.  That gives us each one pint (US) each night for dinner.

I did enjoy home brewing for about ten years, but it is a time consuming process, and I found that it involved a lot of time standing, which my arthritic knees couldn't take.  I did it in the basement, but boiling the wort made the whole house stink.

Ken

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ken Q said:

I did enjoy home brewing for about ten years, but it is a time consuming process, and I found that it involved a lot of time standing, which my arthritic knees couldn't take.  

Ken

As a youngster I spent a lot of time consuming beer but found it involved a lot of falling down which had nothing to do with arthritis.:lol:

4 hours ago, Ken Q said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, adambar said:

Yes, Pittsburgh Steelers and TJ Watt trying to break Michael Strahan's single-season sack record of 22.5.

I remember QB Terry Bradshaw from my time in the States (1977-79). I was living in Washington DC where the fans detested Bradshaw because he was so good. I recall the Steelers were a very strong team back then.

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Used to love watching American football, especially the Green Bay Packers. But the games began being interrupted every few minutes for commercials, and I ceased to enjoy. Nowadays, we don't have a TV hookup, so I watch sports clips on YouTube. As for beer, I've been clean and sober for forty-eight years, but it was good old Budweiser in the day.

I always record the Steelers game and watch in the evening, that way I can skip over the commercials. :D

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, flyingfish55 said:

I remember QB Terry Bradshaw from my time in the States (1977-79). I was living in Washington DC where the fans detested Bradshaw because he was so good. I recall the Steelers were a very strong team back then.

Yes they were, they won 4 Superbowls in 6 yrs. :D 

• Like 4

I use to be a big fan of the Dallas Cowboys until my company transferred me to Houston and I could not get them on TV because of the Houston Oilier's.

And when I was a kid I was a big New York Yankee baseball fan and in 1956 I watched on TV, Don Larsen pitch the only perfect game ever pitched in the World Series.

Today I follow and watch college football and basketball (mainly Oklahoma Sate University)

• Like 3

I like lots of different sports, got into NFL in 80's based in Berlin, met some US Soldiers and they invited me down to their sector for some Beer and to watch, didn't really understand it but was hooked, always a great show put on, like last night I watched the 49ers v the Rams, great game, I think I enjoy it more as I don't have a team....if I am watching Bristol play Rugby that can be a struggle as that's MY team and you're all in with the emotions.....I also enjoy Le Mans in June, hope to get there one year, hopefully before all electric...

Any IPA will do......or maybe a Bud / Corona...

• Like 3

Grew up near the Oakland Raiders NFL team and was a big fan at least till the 80's.   Even met big Ben Davidson at a local Macy's store once.  Nice guy, even stopped to talk with me.  Nowadays I'm a fan of the Kraken ice hockey team up in Seattle.   Gave up beer and falling down in '85.

• Like 2