This Week's Meaningless Topic (#61) (Nov 6)

Hi all. It is said that song lives in the brain longer than thought. Stroke patients who have lost all mental acuity will nevertheless recognize and even sing along with songs from their past. All of us have songs that accompany powerful moments in our lives, moments of love, moments of danger, moments of change. Let's walk down memory lane and listen to the soundtrack (with a tip of the hat to John York for the seed of this idea).

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What songs accompany the most important moments of your life?

• Like 5

Running the NYC marathon a few years back, knackered and not really enjoying it.  Rounded a corner and there’s a bloke in full on DJ mode in the middle of the road playing Give it Up by KC and The Sunshine Band.   Gave me a right old lift and I had it ringing in my ears for the last ten miles.   

• Like 5

She graduated from high school in 1960. I danced with her that night for the last time. By then she'd found another guy. At 9:32 I kissed her on the cheek and walked out the door. I never saw her again She was the only woman I've ever really loved. She's gone now but my memories of her and this, our last song, will live on in my heart forever.

Edited by W2DR
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, gpickup said:

Running the NYC marathon a few years back, knackered and not really enjoying it.  Rounded a corner and there’s a bloke in full on DJ mode in the middle of the road playing Give it Up by KC and The Sunshine Band.   Gave me a right old lift and I had it ringing in my ears for the last ten miles.   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Went to the Monterey Pop Festival in June of '67 and my favorite was Jimi Hendrix.   Probably giving away my California upbringing...lol.

I probably saw you there :) . My wife and I were both raised in Monterey and, though we'd then moved to Sacramento, we went "home" for the festival. Her parents lived about 6 miles from the fairgrounds (out Hwy 68 toward Salinas) and it only took us 7 hours to get back to their house. Speaking of Jimi:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Lola by the Kinks has pleasant memories for me.

That has memories for me also. I was doing the Aussie thing doing a sabbatical in London in about 1991 .My posh girlfriend from Wimbledon got tickets for us to see the Kinks somewhere at Clapham in London. She dumped me.

The next month I met my wife. She hails from Brighton. 26 years and three kids later we have a happy life in Tweed. Thank you Nick

• Like 4

Any CCR (Creedance Clearwater Revival) will do it for me. Used to listen to an 8-track of CCR with my Mom for hours when I was a young boy. We would be singing in the car, and playing drums on the dash while jammin' out to them. Anytime I hear a CCR song now I will start singing along with fervor :) 

Landon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

O boy, sorry guys here are my party cats. What a night and party and since this video was recorded I can never run for Office:unsure::angry::P. The Mule Team made me do it. Stay safe have a beer (like I am right now) the cats are away. Cheers k:D

I resemble that video ........ Only two more days Karl , till you can come down our way . :lol::)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, adambar said:

Friday and Saturday night dances, met my girlfriend's dancing to these.

Back in High School most dances had lots of SLOW dances!   Romantic to the core and it wasn't till a bit later they expected  you to dance faster and sweat....ugh..  LOL

Wife and I met as Sophmore/Junior in HIgh School.  Great songs.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"Our song: 'My Lady in Waiting' by Schooner Fare!"  For the first 13 years of our marriage my poor wife had to deal with me  going off periodically for my Naval Reserve duty, icluding going off to sea.  But by January, 1990 I had my 20 years, and was getting ready to retire when I got called up for Desert Shield/Desert Storm.  This song, which had always been a favorite, became especially poignant.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Definitely spooky. Listening to Marty Robbins singing El Paso, a song I recall listening to in the sixties which my dad played over and over on his little record player. That song and others by Marty has fascinated me over the years. One day, I'll get to El Paso I'm sure.

• Like 4