Global openLC Africa enters beta!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, pmb said:

So can we hope to see more beta screenshots from the ORBX screenshot artists like Emmsi soon?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

+1  Particularly interested in pics of Cape Town  looking towards harbour & Table Mountain

6jaTXw2.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 3:22 AM, Stillwater said:

I am hoping for "one step after the other" as well. Africa is really lacking payware, but it should be tested if it pays off for the developers as well.

I would be in for some places, if I might say...

Hi Gerold

So far there are some good sceneries  done by 3rd pty , if interested:

Algiers DAAG

Cape Verde

MARSA-ALAM

Sharm El-Sheikh

Mauritius

Mayotte

Al-Massira

REUNION

DAKAR

Cape Town

Djerba

Enfidha

Tromelin

Nouakchott

and some others, though we cannot tell the developer. So I think it would be nice to fly them with the new Land Class while Orbx do theirs

Cheers

Carlos

5 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hi Gerold

Thanks Carlos, yes I own quite a number of good airports and CityScapes in Africa, inluding famous Dubai, Casablanca, and Marrakesh. I am really looking forward to embed them into a better environment.

Kind regards, Michael

This is a great resource for populating Namibia and Botswana with small airfields, that are not included in the default sim. These are afcad files only with limited buildings, but nevertheless for bush flying these will suffice.

Namibia and Botswana airfields by David Atkinson

Maybe, there will be a designer that will put some "body" to these.

18 minutes ago, JJJackson said:

Link returns an error message: No Files matched your search criteria.

Here you can find a lot of freeware, not only for Africa but for the whole world.

https://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html

Jack

No problem from my side. Perhaps you were not logged in at the flightsim forums?

FlightSim.com's library is temperamental when linking files.

Search their library instead for botswana_airports.zip and namibia_airports.zip, plus object_libraries.zip

There are 2 updates for each scenery.

Some Emmsie photos sooner rather than later of Africa would go down a treat.

17 hours ago, pmb said:

Thanks Carlos, yes I own quite a number of good airports and CityScapes in Africa, inluding famous Dubai, Casablanca, and Marrakesh. I am really looking forward to embed them into a better environment.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael

Yes, sure I forgot the Morocco ones :)

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Juanvito said:

Salalah OOSA (specially the green bits during monsoon season)

This one is in the Arabic peninsula...

Is Africa land class going to cover it too?..

I would like to see Victoria waterfalls

Cape Town area

Morocco

Egypt

How dense is vegetation in Congo (all central Africa)

I have Kilimanjaro so would like to see if I need to get rid of it

Would love to see Guinea and Lagos coasts

The Richat structure

The Tibesti terrain in Chad

Madagascar  :lol:

ZwMz9gQ.jpg

Cheers

18 hours ago, Juanvito said:

It was announced that it would cover the Middle East, hopefully that hasn't changed.

I asked about the Middle East in the openLC support forum, and the response was that Iran is not included. 

Hopefully, the rest of the Middle East is included.

Dave

On 1/21/2020 at 5:28 AM, carlosqr said:

Hi Gerold

and some others, though we cannot tell the developer. So I think it would be nice to fly them with the new Land Class while Orbx do theirs

Cheers

Carlos

Thank you for pointing us Carlos.

Cape Town I´ve got, but

Johannesburg OR Tambo I have only found an undiscussible version. We´ll have to see...

57 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

as things stand, openLC Africa covers all of the mainland, Madagaskar, Canary Islands, Madeira Islands,

Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, UAE, Qatar and Kuwait.

Thanks for the clarification.

I must say I'm very disappointed that Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, and Iraq are not included.  There will now be an unsightly and geographically important gap in coverage between Turkey, covered by openLC Europe, and Africa.

Dave

17 minutes ago, dave302 said:

I must say I'm very disappointed that Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, and Iraq are not included.  There will now be an unsightly and geographically important gap in coverage between Turkey, covered by openLC Europe, and Africa.

Dave

At the end of the day the continent of Africa only covers Africa  :)

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

as things stand, openLC Africa covers all of the mainland, Madagaskar, Canary Islands, Madeira Islands, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, UAE, Qatar and Kuwait.

I know that projects change, but I feel a little saddened that some major exciting parts of the Middle East are now not on the list.

This was shown as the original scope of the product:
dXNCh41.jpg

There are going to be some rather notable incongruencies in textures and appearance between neighbouring countries over a very busy flight corridor covered differently by OLC Africa and by Global.
I mean, take a look at satellite images of Iran and see how geographically fascinating the country is, in comparison to its immediate neighbours to its southwest.

So, how about a separate OLC Middle East product?

I suppose the trouble is that I, and others, always want more from Orbx.
Africa being back on track is fantastic news.

Thank you Orbx for finishing Africa after all!

And I guess doing Asia afterwards will make everyone happy...

I couldn't resist attaching a map of Asia (courtesy Encyclopaedia Britannica). As Nick stated above, The Arabian Peninsula - although part of Western Asia - might be included in Africa. Everything east of that would definitely make sense to be covered in LC Asia.

Go Orbx go! ;-)

Greetings

Eric

image.png

3 hours ago, dave302 said:

Dave

Well I wasn't expecting anything else than Africa so having the Arabic peninsula is a plus that make me happy, I just hope the sand colors match the 3rd pty products.

Maybe when Asia is launched these Mediterranean countries could be added. Or maybe they'll do just the middle east for those..who knows but in time they will be considered

Meanwhile some of these have amazing photo sceneries (free) in case you'd like to upgrade the area while Orbx does theirs. If you want the link send me a PM

Cheers

Carlos

2 hours ago, F737NG said:

take a look at satellite images of Iran and see how geographically fascinating the country is

Agreed

I'm surprised and fascinated by the interest users show in this dry area of the world.

It is indeed historical, geographical and political interesting.

Very diverse in landscapes, mysterious, off the beaten track countries to explore, rare and vast

I think OLC Africa and Asia will be a success after all and despite the announcement of FS2020. I think this is cool and should take advantage.

Cheers

Carlos

22 hours ago, bruce e said:

At the end of the day the continent of Africa only covers Africa  :)

And your point is?  Oh wait, I see, you obviously don't know the facts so let me explain.

This particular openLC was marketed by ORBX as "openLC Africa/Middle East" from the beginning. 

If you look at the map that ORBX produced showing all the openLC products' coverage areas, the Middle East is indeed included as a single Africa and Middle East product.

Dave

I wouldn't mind having OpenLC Asia split in two or three pieces and pay the full price for each if it would only be released. E. g. Middle East & India, China & South East Asia, North & Central Asia.

OpenLCs are still one of the most valuable Addons with the most "bang for your buck".

Archived