Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

I would think the 747 above waits in Wollongong, but I am sure Martyn @VH-KDK will present us with another quest as well, due to his quick identification:

Exactly Gerold, it is @VH-KDK turn now, the pics have been taken at Longreach. It was an unforgetable trip through Outback Queensland back then, from Winton, where we flew in from Brisbane, travelling on the Matilda Highway via Longreach, Barcaldine, Blackall to Charleville, from where we flew back to Brissie. Did  lots of sightseeing on the way. One cannot imagine how much there can be seen in such a remote area.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Exactly Gerold, it is @VH-KDK turn now, the pics have been taken at Longreach. It was an unforgetable trip through Outback Queensland back then, from Winton, where we flew in from Brisbane, travelling on the Matilda Highway via Longreach, Barcaldine, Blackall to Charleville, from where we flew back to Brissie. Did  lots of sightseeing on the way. One cannot imagine how much there can be seen in such a remote area.

Thanks gents and that must have been a wonderful place to visit and see all the Qantas history.

It sounds like you had a great trip and there is so much to see in the vast remoteness of the outback and it is a real eyeopener to those from more inhabited parts of the world. I had only been here for 2 years when I did a camping bus trip to Ayres Rock and it was an amazing experience.

I will try and find a photo later tonight for the next airport.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks gents and that must have been a wonderful place to visit and see all the Qantas history.

It sounds like you had a great trip and there is so much to see in the vast remoteness of the outback and it is a real eyeopener to those from more inhabited parts of the world. I had only been here for 2 years when I did a camping bus trip to Ayres Rock and it was an amazing experience.

I will try and find a photo later tonight for the next airport.

Your North American trip must have dozens Martyn???

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Whoops - time change made me tooo late for this one  - however - good to see the pics especially the Avro made by the Qantas Apprentices

As a person very much involved in the birth of the Qantas museum - I have already complained at Orbx's attitude to 

the airfield that is the birth of Qantas - and what they show in Australia V2. I made a comment way back about this - and I note 

you commented in that diatribe of mine. Here's the reminder.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/185125-Orbx-and-qantas/

I haven't changed my mind - and have not bothered with the Ant version - because all I have is Orbx on P3D and enough problems

without adding to them  by using other addons - except a/c of course. As for their "Policy of not repeating other developers airfields"

that has been proven to be cods-wallop. That might have been the case way back in the late last decade - but  to an Australian company

its about time Longreach was as important as Caboolture/ Bundaberg etc

and this time without a huge and small Yankee fighters and bombers B)

I mean this is supposed to be the famous Qantas hangar

Annotation 2019-12-24 172952.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-24 172849.jpg

OZx has a great rendition of Longreach. This includes the QANTAS hangar, the B-747, DC-3 and other QANTAS stuff.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Cox said:

OZx has a great rendition of Longreach. This includes the QANTAS hangar, the B-747, DC-3 and other QANTAS stuff.

Thanks Patrick for that

I have Orbx since 2008 - when they made their first coloured scenery - and I use

only Orbx - by choice - for my scenery on P3D and I used XP11- because of their TE scenery

IT's not a question of my having a Longreach airport - I used to live there - but a large  Australian scenery developer

not developing an Aussie Icon - well in my book - at sucks - and leave that garbage Longreach scenery on AV2 is as Bad!

I'm sure Qantas would kick in a few Bucks to sponsor the development - and that's how we got the museum up and running in the first place !!

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

This is the location if one of the excellent freeware airports form the Global Airport Pack.

t15gJuI.jpg

It is not as difficult as it appears and a bit of detective work should easily solve the location.

• Like 3

I used to drive trains over the Forth Bridge, near Edinburgh. The embankment for that line is higher than the runway. They say that a plane once scraped its wheels on a train as it landed from the east. Always bugs me that nobody has rolled out AI railways for P3D yet

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

This is the location if one of the excellent freeware airports form the Global Airport Pack.

It is not as difficult as it appears and a bit of detective work should easily solve the location.

I do not recognize it, but it would probably be from your route last year? Okay mate, let me think...

- it is US territory

- the planes have skis, not amphibs

So it would be rather Alaska than PNW.

Let´s have a look...

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, gregmorin said:

PATK home of K2 aviation and trips to Denali with landings on the glaciers.

Greg

That sounds (and looks) great, Greg! I am quite sure that @VH-KDK will check your idea in short time...

On 6/5/2020 at 10:47 AM, VH-KDK said:

a bit of detective work

... was probably successful...?!

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, gregmorin said:

Greg

Well done, yes indeed it is PATK.

The photo was taken from the train on our way from Anchorage to Denali. 

A nice change to see Otters on wheels and skis after the floatplanes in Victoria and Vancouver!:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, gregmorin said:

Greg

Congrats Greg, you got it. Your coconut is in the mail, and we hope you are in the position to post a new quest?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Well done, yes indeed it is PATK.

The photo was taken from the train on our way from Anchorage to Denali. 

A nice change to see Otters on wheels and skis after the floatplanes in Victoria and Vancouver!:)

Looking great, Martyn. Did you spend these little dollars and take a flight https://www.flyk2.com/?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Looking great, Martyn. Did you spend these little dollars and take a flight https://www.flyk2.com/?

Not here Gerold but I did a flight around Vancouver and another at Juneau, both in Turbo Otters on floats!

We did see Denali/ Mt McKinley both from the train and on a day trip the next day.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2020 at 3:51 AM, Kilstorm said:

Two I did in May. This one I flew and landed and took-off at in a xwind which was something to be proud of.
ukd6CNo.jpg

This one I was supposed to fly in and out of but couldnt rent a plane because of Covid.

1ZRRKrW.jpg

Unless @gregmorin posting another quest, we can tahe this one from Kiltstorm to continue. I do not have a clue...

• Like 1

This one I was supposed to fly in and out of but couldnt rent a plane because of Covid.

1ZRRKrW.jpg

I guess, this one is Sedona (KSEZ).

52 minutes ago, Kilstorm said:

One of two answered.

Oh, it was two? Two much for a single guess, if liked Wolfgang @wolfko might already start a fresh one for us?

Bad luck for a lot of travel plans this year. If it is only that...

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

I guess, this one is Sedona (KSEZ).

Congrats for the win.

• Thanks 1

Oh, it was two? Two much for a single guess, if liked Wolfgang @wolfko might already start a fresh one for us?

No Gerold, sorry, as I wrote earlier in this thread, I have no more digital airport images left for uploading. So I think it is the one's who guesses the first of Ripcord's airports turn to continue.

But I hope I am still allowed to participate in future guessing?

Two I did in May. This one I flew and landed and took-off at in a xwind which was something to be proud of.
ukd6CNo.jpg

OK everyone. So this one is the remaining question to be solved.

Could be America. With fancy furniture and a returned satellite on the veranda. Probably not an international airport?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

OK everyone. So this one is the remaining question to be solved.

Could be America. With fancy furniture and a returned satellite on the veranda. Probably not an international airport?

Thats an airport beacon! They have one just cant been seen from the air (nor does it work) HA!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

Another winner. Great little airport in the sim and real life. I loved landing there knowing that fence was on the end of the runway as well as taking off from theire.

Great shots and stories, Kilstorm!

On 6/12/2020 at 6:38 AM, VH-KDK said:

Looks a bit like 2B2 Plum Island!:unsure:

There again you said it probably wasn't an international airport but it reminds me of Honolulu.:o

So Martyn was right this time. Either with Honolulu or with Plum Island. We look forward to another one of his travel proofs!

• Thanks 1

Google is your friend:D

I did a search by the registration number of that Korean plane. This is on display at the Pearl Harbour Aviation Museum at the Ford Island NALF (PHNP), Hawaii.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Google is your friend:D

I did a search by the registration number of that Korean plane. This is on display at the Pearl Harbour Aviation Museum at the Ford Island NALF (PHNP), Hawaii.

Yes indeed, well done.

Part of our Pearl Harbour tour was a visit to the museum but we didn't have a lot of time to look around.

The airport here on Ford Island closed in 1999 but you can still land here in the Orbx Honolulu scenery!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

The airport here on Ford Island closed in 1999 but you can still land here in the Orbx Honolulu scenery!

That is one of the favours we have as true Orbx customers!

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

This is on display at the Pearl Harbour Aviation Museum at the Ford Island NALF (PHNP), Hawaii.

You are the true winner, again, Wolfgang. As I know you have run out of questions, ...

EVERYBODY IS NOW ASKED TO POST A NEW QUEST HERE... (sorry for shouting in capitals...).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Sure , I'll play :

581335182_JB-1.PNG.a44b8c19a7950e43c532344d8b73f58c.PNG

Cheers

John

Nice shot, John. Just before boarding the sporty passangers that are able to jump the final meter.

The mountains shout "Innsbruck" to me, but not the SkyWest logo on the Delta Connection CRJ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The mountains shout "Innsbruck" to me, but not the SkyWest logo on the Delta Connection CRJ...

And we haven't got any jet bridges here at Innsbruck Airport.

• Haha 2

Nice shot, John. Just before boarding the sporty passangers that are able to jump the final meter.

SODE seems not to be installed correctly.

Edited by wolfko
  • Haha 2

On 6/15/2020 at 5:32 AM, BradB said:

Sure , I'll play :

Cheers

John

Now, John, taking a look at the SkyWest route map for red coloured tails... https://www.skywest.com/fly-skywest-airlines/skywest-airlines-route-map... and checking this map against Orbx products... there can still be some places.

It does not look like Ketchikan, and it is not Palm Springs either. Jackson Hole and Sun Valley don´t have jetways.

Could it be Idaho Falls KIDA?

Now, John, taking a look at the SkyWest route map for red coloured tails... https://www.skywest.com/fly-skywest-airlines/skywest-airlines-route-map... and checking this map against Orbx products... there can still be some places.

It does not look like Ketchikan, and it is not Palm Springs either. Jackson Hole and Sun Valley don´t have jetways.

Could it be Idaho Falls KIDA?

Sorry Gerold , it is not Idaho Falls .

John

• Sad 1