Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

Ok - here’s some shots from an awesome Orbx add-on i’ve been to irl. Lots of crocs, lots of flying foxes too.. especially around the airport terminal. the top blue sky shot is right at the end of the runway!

5189636E-1D8A-4887-8974-A1B03EA22C88.jpeg

YBRM - Broome Western Australia.

Cheers

Bernie

• Like 1

here’s the seaside at an Aussie freebie..

the long pier’s got an underwater observatory at the end!

03A389D0-19A9-498D-B025-77A70F5F4526.jpeg

YBLN - Busselton once again is WA, too easy.

Cheers

Bernie

• Like 1

After searching google maps and RW airport photos on the internet and checking which airport has a ski resort in its vicinity, I came to the conclusion it might be KGPI (glacier Park). ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

After searching google maps and RW airport photos on the internet and checking which airport has a ski resort in its vicinity, I came to the conclusion it might be KGPI (glacier Park). ^_^

We have a winner !! .

John

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BradB said:

We have a winner !! .

John

That is great, Wolfgang! And as Wolfgang can not post any new quests, we take These from David...

7 hours ago, David Woodford said:

Ok - here’s some shots from an awesome Orbx add-on i’ve been to irl. Lots of crocs, lots of flying foxes too.. especially around the airport terminal. the top blue sky shot is right at the end of the runway!

4 hours ago, bernief said:

5189636E-1D8A-4887-8974-A1B03EA22C88.jpeg

YBRM - Broome Western Australia.

Cheers

Bernie

Maybe we even have the next winner?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wolfko said:

Thank you Gerold. Actually your link to the Sky West route maps have been a great help.

One might think that is cheating.........come on Gerold . :rolleyes::o:lol::lol:

John

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Maybe we even have the next winner?

This pinkish sand on the beach really looks like Broom. 

I didn't know, that the Busselton Jetty has got an underwater observatory at its end. This must be fairly new. I think there was none, when I have been there. Okay this was almost 20 years ago.;)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolfko said:

This pinkish sand on the beach really looks like Broom. 

I didn't know, that the Busselton Jetty has got an underwater observatory at its end. This must be fairly new. I think there was none, when I have been there. Okay this was almost 20 years ago.;)

I was there 2006 

it's still there - https://www.busseltonjetty.com.au/underwater-observatory/

Edited by makapala

55 minutes ago, makapala said:

I was there 2006

Was the Observatory already there then?

I remember me and my wife and our 5 month old son have been the only people on the jetty when we visited Busselton in 2002. I think we walked all the way out to the end and there was no observatory.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, bernief said:

here’s the seaside at an Aussie freebie..

the long pier’s got an underwater observatory at the end!

03A389D0-19A9-498D-B025-77A70F5F4526.jpeg

YBLN - Busselton once again is WA, too easy.

Cheers

Bernie

As everyone is claiming this would be Busselton jetty, we could call Bernie the winner.

And we are happy to see a new picture by him, if he has some...?!

On 6/21/2020 at 4:04 PM, bernief said:

Hi all.

Here is an airport that is included in a region. Obviously it is a water runway attached to a land based airport.

Cheers Bernie

IMG_6913.JPG

Turning back to the first question asked... while you, Bernie, are based in Oz, I can not remember many seaplane bases there... Strahan and St. Helens look different, and Rose Bay even more. Too hard for me...

Hi all.

I think you need a hint. Yes I live in Australia but you need to think of where there are an awful lot of seaplanes. It is an Orbx region where they have water runways alongside land based airports. It might be a long way from Australia.

Cheers Bernie

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bernief said:

It is an Orbx region where they have water runways alongside land based airports. 

Was the pic taken at an Orbx airport or "just" in an Orbx region?

Edited by wolfko

21 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I was not brave enough to guess the North American west coast... 

And the most famous airport with a water runway to me is PAJN Juneau?

Close but not quite. Think of the other major airport with a water runway.

Cheers Bernie.

11 hours ago, gregmorin said:

PANC & Lake Hood

Greg

Correct Greg. Phew, I was beginning to think no-one was going to guess it. My wife and I went to Anchorage last year to visit a friend and she took us to the Alaska Air Museum at Lake Hood. That was a very interesting experience. I was in heaven almost. Your turn to post a photo Greg.

Cheers Bernie.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 1:53 PM, John Heaton said:

Been waiting for chance - hope I am OK with this

Old (Orbx) airport - old aircraft -Ghosts of the 70s

The Ansett 727 is truely fitting to a 1970´s revival flight... as I do not recognize the airport directly, I´ll have to check the surroundings of some capitals...

On 6/25/2020 at 1:53 PM, John Heaton said:

Been waiting for chance - hope I am OK with this

Old (Orbx) airport - old aircraft -Ghosts of the 70s

Just to keep this going, and without checking in the sim: Let me throw in Essendon?

8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Just to keep this going, and without checking in the sim: Let me throw in Essendon?

Well done Gerold

I was getting worried for a while and getting another pic ready of The freeware  727 at ESSENDON -

which is the Orbx one -  little a little more posh than the old airport and still a very busy GA airport

To those who don't know Australia - Essendon until 1971 was the 2nd principal airport in Australia

with Sydney slightly bigger.

Essendon was replaced by the new Tullamarine Airport - you know as Melbourne YMML - which opened in August 1971

and built with advanced planning  - to take the new Jumbo 747s. 

The wife - myself - and 5 kids under 11 and 14 suitcases - arrived in the first week of The new shiny  - 1 terminal airport

as Immigrants -so the place holds fond memories - but I find it hard to find my way around these days -  on the odd trip down South 

The 727 was the standard internal aircraft - used by the independent airline Ansett and  by the government owned  T.A.A.

I000s of takeoffs and Landings here.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 7:53 AM, John Heaton said:

I was getting worried for a while and getting another pic ready of The freeware  727 at ESSENDON -

Good news for me, John. And probably for those waiting for the next pic. Here you are.

nVLjxvY.jpg

• Like 1