Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

@Stillwater

So it is okay to post screenshots out of the sim rather than real world photos?

You are correct Wolfgang, my intention was seeing real life shots of Orbx airports. 

Let us try to guess the last one from @John Heaton and then only go on with real photos. If there are some more to come...

Ok - I won't do this again - which makes it difficult to take part in this "Game"

I have loads of photos - all over the world - taken in the 70s and 80s - but is impossible to find 

one that Orbx has produced - but can find many that are included in Orbx scenery.

I am often reminded that Orbx will not produce an airport specifically - if it has already been produced by others 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 5:46 AM, John Heaton said:

Speaking of Orbx airports - I have quietly been revisiting my Library of them - including Aus V2 -  keeping 

a number of screenshots  - and when August 18th arrives my first flight will be around my Antipodean country

once more - not only to see what MS have done - but to compare what we currently have - to what MSD is orffering.

Meanwhile - in the absence of a current Question - try this easy one.

Bundy 1.jpg

Next guess from my side John: Bundaberg?

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Next guess from my side John: Bundaberg?

dead right Gerold - here's another view with my Citation 560XL -  literally on Lift Off

and where Orbx includes most of the town. 

Bundaberg's famous Pilot was Bert Hinkler - the first man to fly solo from England to Australia

and his plane is in the local museum

Bundy lift off.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

dead right Gerold - here's another view with my Citation 560XL -  literally on Lift Off

and where Orbx includes most of the town. 

Bundaberg's famous Pilot was Bert Hinkler - the first man to fly solo from England to Australia

and his plane is in the local museum

Perfect, thank you John!

So I have the chance to move back to real pictures. Shouldn´t be too difficult, as always.

4BCd7YL.jpg

• Like 1

Boah, you are correct and fast. As I suppose you do not have pictures in stock, are you ok if I post another one?

Quite a few Orbx airports have RFD facillities. It was the sparse vegetation and the colour of the soil which indicated it might be Alice. I then double checked the RFD complex in your shot with Google Earth satellite view. Was there kinda sand storm going on when you took the foto? It looks like there was lot of dust in the air.

And of course you can go ahead to post another one of your pics.

3 hours ago, wolfko said:

Was there kinda sand storm going on when you took the foto?

Indeed it was. With a slight delay before boarding, but takeoff was fine. Qantas knows what to expext there...

I have the next one already here...:

eYou3Xu.jpg

Hmmm, it might be a Qantas plane, so I would exclude Europe. Orbx has no airfields in Asia, Africa, South America as well. And I doubt Qantas had connections to the few suitable Orbx airports in North America (San Diego would be the only long-distance suited for Aussies). So it comes down to Australia.

The building between tail and stairway looks like an old tower, we will need to check...

Gerold

- I just realised that I might have made a Blue - its Sydney - and I have 

just realised that it is not an Orbx airport since I rarely use it in my simming

Sorry!

I almost put up an obvious Heathrow and realised that that wasn't an Orbx as well.

Try this

P1000174.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 5:51 AM, John Heaton said:

Gerold

- I just realised that I might have made a Blue - its Sydney - and I have 

just realised that it is not an Orbx airport since I rarely use it in my simming

Sorry!

I almost put up an obvious Heathrow and realised that that wasn't an Orbx as well.

Try this

P1000174.JPG

That is not totally obvious... so we have to work a bit.

Australia is evident, because of the famous airline.

Flat land with trees, so no outback.

Oceania Aviation ground handling is the only specific hint I see... http://www.oceaniaaviation.com/australia-oceania-ground-handling/ . Which leaves the following airports in the list: Hervey Bay (not that much jet traffic), Brisbane (has mostly jetways), Gold Coast, Coffs Harbour. Due to the slightly intense traffic I would go for Gold (Coast)?

58 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

That is not totally obvious... so we have to work a bit.

Australia is evident, because of the famous airline.

Flat land with trees, so no outback.

Oceania Aviation ground handling is the only specific hint I see... http://www.oceaniaaviation.com/australia-oceania-ground-handling/ . Which leaves the following airports in the list: Hervey Bay (not that much jet traffic), Brisbane (has mostly jetways), Gold Coast, Coffs Harbour. Due to the slightly intense traffic I would go for Gold (Coast)?

Blimey - I thought I had been forgotten

Sherlock - your deduction is correct - Gold Coast it is ! - well done!

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2020 at 10:00 PM, Rob Abernathy said:

EDIT

This IS an Orbx airport.  No guesses? 

I visited this one last week on a trip to the PNW coast.

IMG_6271.thumb.jpg.d338684a6b5582d76b10d41a29970295.jpg

Tillamook Airport and Air Museum plus home of some pretty tasty ice cream too . 

John

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Tillamook Airport and Air Museum plus home of some pretty tasty ice cream too . 

John

That's the bridge to Somoa in the background.  KEKA   But, I must apologize......I posted this one already!  Senior moment!   I have another one of a PNW most popular Orbx airport.  I'll go find it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

That's the bridge to Somoa in the background.  KEKA   But, I must apologize......I posted this one already!  Senior moment!   I have another one of a PNW most popular Orbx airport.  I'll go find it.

Please, do not hesitate!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, Rob Abernathy said:

Rob, do you see the chance that you find a new quest for us? We should not mix it up with MSFS shots...

• 3 weeks later...

It appears to me this thread is dead... MSFS absorbs all attention. I just throw "Walter Suttons?" in the field...

But isn't Walter Suttons amidst of agricultural fields and paddocks?

6 minutes ago, stiletto2 said:

That is the right Payware package but not the correct name for the bonus airport that came with S93.

Rod

Ah, so the plot thickens....then I will submit that De Vere Field is the answer :ph34r:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stiletto2 said:

I guess that correct guess entitles Sniper31 to post a pic if he has one.....otherwise back to Stillwater....

The problem is I don't have any real world pics of Orbx airfields...plenty of non-Orbx airfield shots though. At any rate, I will defer to Gerold @Stillwaterfor the next shot :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

Sniper31 is correct!  Here is a pic from my sim of the Orbx version of De Vere Field:

De%20Vere%20Field%20(2W1).jpg?dl=0

I guess that correct guess entitles Sniper31 to post a pic if he has one.....otherwise back to Stillwater....

Rod

Amazing how similar this shot looks to the real world one above.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 5:13 PM, Sniper31 said:

The problem is I don't have any real world pics of Orbx airfields...plenty of non-Orbx airfield shots though. At any rate, I will defer to Gerold @Stillwaterfor the next shot :) 

Okay, my friends, I do not have very many left - there is no much flying on this planet currently! But let me try to overcome imgur struggles...

7fAjj8g.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, my friends, I do not have very many left - there is no much flying on this planet currently! But let me try to overcome imgur struggles...

7fAjj8g.jpg

Brisbane (YBBN) at low tide. On appraoch to rwy 19, now 19L. In the background one can see the construction of the only recently opened rwy 19R. So you must have been there not long time ago.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:24 PM, wolfko said:

Brisbane (YBBN) at low tide. On appraoch to rwy 19, now 19L. In the background one can see the construction of the only recently opened rwy 19R. So you must have been there not long time ago.

Sherlock Wolfgang has found it again. And the right timing as well: That picture was taken the last spring before Corona.

The only Orbx airports I can (plan) travel to now are Porta Westfalica (already posted here), Innsbruck (same), Jena (don´t own it and have no interest, the German freeware airfields (too small to travel to). Ah, I have one more:

PhAhbrk.jpg

Probably too easy to guess. So... please answer only, if you can reply with a picture from your travels.

11 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Sherlock Wolfgang has found it again. And the right timing as well: That picture was taken the last spring before Corona.

The only Orbx airports I can (plan) travel to now are Porta Westfalica (already posted here), Innsbruck (same), Jena (don´t own it and have no interest, the German freeware airfields (too small to travel to). Ah, I have one more:

PhAhbrk.jpg

Probably too easy to guess. So... please answer only, if you can reply with a picture from your travels.

I know this one, but I won't answer, because I have no personally taken photo to post.

I remeber to have a spare digital pic of an Orbx airport stored somewhere, but I can't find it. However I had a shot of this airport available which was not taken by myself but was taken at exactly the same spot and looks almost identical. Only the aircraft shown on the pic is different. And it is of an airport which was already featured in this thread.  Would it still be okay to post this shot?

Edited by wolfko
  • Haha 1

Okay, it is Vienna Schwechat Airport (LOWW). 

And here is the next one. As mentioned before this was not taken by myself, but I have personally taken an almost identical shot (which I cannot find) of a Qantas (or Qantaslink) Dash 8-300 at exactly the the same parking spot at the same airport. So this may be a hint, a Qantas and an Air NZ Link Dash 8-300 at exactly the same location.^_^

NZ.jpg.67e5fab77e2bf6d3ccc077c45c4d544d.jpg

• Like 1