Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

29 minutes ago, BrianV said:

Correct :) Another wonderful trip and great to see in real life on board the Otter. I hope you enjoyed Brisbane and Australia as much as I did Gerold. 

Oh yes, we enjoyed our trip a lot. Incredible experiences.

My list of airport pictures come towards the end... but still there is some more:

PIVJTaw.jpg

• Like 1

Naja, "schön" ist es nicht wirklich, Gerold, aber vielleicht ein bisschen was zum Knobeln. Obwohl, schwierig ist es eigentlich auch nicht.

I think this one is not too difficult, although no airport building can be seen in this shot. But there is a clue in the pic which IMO makes it clear which airport it is. 

When posting the answer, please tell us, why you have figured it out So no guessing please.:)

BTW, the pic was taken on July 22, 2013. Have fun!

20130722_131845_small.thumb.jpg.a00bb4a7cdecec151bca72710b279fdc.jpg

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

Naja, "schön" ist es nicht wirklich, Gerold, aber vielleicht ein bisschen was zum Knobeln. Obwohl, schwierig ist es eigentlich auch nicht.

I think this one is not too difficult, although no airport building can be seen in this shot. But there is a clue in the pic which IMO makes it clear which airport it is. 

When posting the answer, please tell us, why you have figured it out So no guessing please.:)

BTW, the pic was taken on July 22, 2013. Have fun!

20130722_131845_small.thumb.jpg.a00bb4a7cdecec151bca72710b279fdc.jpg

I love the hi-tech system routing passengers to the boarding stairs in this picture :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Looks like I have been beaten by 4 minutes Graeme, exactly what I was going to say!:lol:

It's the trees on the left that have me doubting myself Martyn

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, boetie said:

It's the trees on the left that have me doubting myself Martyn

A good point Graeme. My eyes were immediately drawn to the cranes and also I had two occasions at Brisbane last year when I used the stairs instead of the jetways!

Just looking at Google Earth, the cranes do appear to be in the right area and also there are some trees around the loop at the end of Acacia Street which looks like a handy place to park and watch the planes!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrianV said:

How about another challenge? I admit, I covered up the sign in black as this would likely give it away :)

Looking interesting Brian... but: Stop, stop, mate, we first have to solve the riddle from @wolfko !

5 hours ago, boetie said:

Are those the wharf cranes at Brisbane?

Cheers

Graeme

In case Wolfgang confirms your victory, you´d need to be preapred, Graeme... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

@boetie @VH-KDK

Well done guys, you are absolutely right, it is Brissie. :)

And yes, the cranes in the background are the clue I was referring to. I think it is obvious, that it is an Australian airport (Jetstar, Qantas) and YBBN is AFAIK the only Australian Orbx airport with harbour cranes in the vicinity.

Regarding the trees, maybe they have been cut down in the meanwhile?

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

@boetie @VH-KDK

Well done guys, you are absolutely right, it is Brissie. :)

And yes, the cranes in the background are the clue I was referring to. I think it is obvious, that it is an Australian airport (Jetstar, Qantas) and YBBN is AFAIK the only Australian Orbx airport with harbour cranes in the vicinity.

Regarding the trees, maybe they have been cut down in the meanwhile?

I thought we had to use "Orbx" airport scenery for the scene ??

l

Woops - I just read the first line In Stillwater's Original Post:wacko:

Edited by John Heaton
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A good point Graeme. My eyes were immediately drawn to the cranes and also I had two occasions at Brisbane last year when I used the stairs instead of the jetways!

Just looking at Google Earth, the cranes do appear to be in the right area and also there are some trees around the loop at the end of Acacia Street which looks like a handy place to park and watch the planes!

I have actually been to that spot on Acacia St with my son. I don't remember the trees. I was also thrown off by the boarding passengers dressed in their winter woolies. Quite rare in Brisbane :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boetie said:

The loclals will know the building on the hill depicted in Orbx land.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Gold Coast Airport - clues are  The hospital at Robina and Mount Warning just peeping on the horizon

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Gold Coast Airport - clues are  The hospital at Robina and Mount Warning just peeping on the horizon

Yep Gold Cost John.  However that's Johhn Flynne private hospital on the hill at Tugun :)

5 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

This is Area 51. The hint is the UFO in the middle of the picture.

The reflections are of the downlights in the the lounge area in Air Goast Flying school GA. We treated my son to an hour scenic flight  down to Byron Bay. He's now doing a double degree Batchelor of IT and Aviation. Very proud Dad.

Cheers

The ball's in your court John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, boetie said:

The reflections are of the downlights in the the lounge area in Air Goast Flying school GA

So "they" have got to you too, I see. 'Oh, that mysterious light in the sky....it's just a reflection, or a weather anomaly. Nothing to see here....move along. Oh, and look into this device please.' :D:P:lol:

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

So "they" have got to you too, I see. 'Oh, that mysterious light in the sky....it's just a reflection, or a weather anomaly. Nothing to see here....move along. Oh, and look into this device please.' :D:P:lol:

Hm, I think I have to make use of my neuralyzer. B)

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, boetie said:

Yep Gold Cost John.  However that's Johhn Flynne private hospital on the hill at Tugun :)

The reflections are of the downlights in the the lounge area in Air Goast Flying school GA. We treated my son to an hour scenic flight  down to Byron Bay. He's now doing a double degree Batchelor of IT and Aviation. Very proud Dad.

Cheers

The ball's in your court John

Never could recognise a private hospital - since I have never been in one

Joy flight to Byron Bay !! - I hope that was earlier than March or he would have been up for 2 weeks quarantine:ph34r:

Here's my contribution to the puzzlers - and the only clue I will give is it is also in Australia - just -  and I flew there again recently.

Horn Island.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 6:00 AM, John Heaton said:

Here's my contribution to the puzzlers - and the only clue I will give is it is also in Australia - just -  and I flew there again recently.

Not that I have a real idea... but let me throw Bundaberg in the round (cheers :blink:)?

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 6:00 AM, John Heaton said:

These ground textures don't look like belonging to an Orbx Airport to me. Neither payeare nor freeware. Maybe an enhanced airport?

Edited by wolfko

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

These ground textures don't look like belonging to an Orbx Airport to me. Neither payeare nor freeware. Maybe an enhanced airport?

Not Bundaberg - but the State is right

I can assure you - I Have nothing but Orbx on my computer - except for Instrument and aircraft addons

I stopped there O/N - on a "keep Australia on the left";)

• Like 1

On both pics a Qantas Link Q400 can be seen. We have to check their route plans.

Edit: at least I assume it is a QFLink also on the 2nd pc.

Edited by wolfko

1 hour ago, boetie said:

I'm thinking FNQ (Far North Queensland). John says it's "just" in Australia. The textures are dry tropical?

C'mon Gerold

I haven't found any FNQ airport which is, according to John, much busier than Bundy and looks like in John's pics.

Edited by wolfko

4 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Okay thanks to @boetie, I found it. It is Horn Island. But is this one really busier than Bundy?

That would be incredible, @John Heaton - you really flew up there? Way off the beaten track...

I was about to resign, finding no more busy QLD airports with a 32 https://www.queensland-australia.com/queensland-airports-map.html#:~:text=International airports in Queensland include,%2C Gladstone%2C Bundaberg and Maroochy.

• Like 1

Two I did in May. This one I flew and landed and took-off at in a xwind which was something to be proud of.
ukd6CNo.jpg

This one I was supposed to fly in and out of but couldnt rent a plane because of Covid.

1ZRRKrW.jpg

12 hours ago, Stillwater said:

That would be incredible, @John Heaton - you really flew up there? Way off the beaten track...

I was about to resign, finding no more busy QLD airports with a 32 https://www.queensland-australia.com/queensland-airports-map.html#:~:text=International airports in Queensland include,%2C Gladstone%2C Bundaberg and Maroochy.

"Way off the beaten Track ?? - No way is it !! - anything but !!.

Take a look at Skyvector Planning - and note the parcity of any where else to get a fill up

after some long over water trips.

Outside of the Wet Season - the "Top End' is a "bin there - dunn that !! " objective for all seriously minded

4 Wheel drivers - and fishermen

I went there twice in the 70s in my PA 32 with 3 mates - to Weipa and the islands on fishing trips - some of best spots in OZ

Way up to the NE of Horn - is Murray Island - a freeware Orbx A/P - now that would have baffled you even more :smile:

The screen shot is the absolute North of the top of the Aussie mainland  - hence "the Top End"

Australia The Top End.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

As you are the current "winner", can you post a new quest, Wolfgang?

I would have literally hundreds of appropriate airport pics but unfortunately all of them on oldfashioned slides. So I have only the following few left in digital format. They are obviously of an Australian airport again, which is neither Orbx payware nor freeware but is included as enhanced airport in the Australia 2 full fat region. So I hope this is okay. BTW this one will be an easy one for @John Heaton

Pics are from December 2005.

First one me (on the right) and a buddy on the wing of a 747. AFAIK this is the only airport in the world where you can do such a "wing climb". An unpaved runway can be seen in the background.

P1010044.thumb.JPG.0969f7ac80c92fff5b79cf1fc29afda9.JPG

Us on the wing again

P1010047.thumb.JPG.b82ceb9f949860f12ae3f5b2a471100c.JPG

In the cockpit of the 747

P1010052.thumb.JPG.e0a1a3ca6780bc460617c04de0ffbcc0.JPG

Adjacent to the airport is a quite famous aviation museum. Another frind of mine in front of an Avro 504K.

P1010070.thumb.JPG.ccf1aa3744fed7f5cfe2cb87d2a9f905.JPG

I hope I don't make it too easy, when I point out that this Airport has its place in the history of Australian aviation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Amazing photos Wolfgang, and even though this airport is not sold under Orbx brand, it is a great blend and enhancement to the Oz scenery. Maybe Frank Spencer is right...

Whoops - time change made me tooo late for this one  - however - good to see the pics especially the Avro made by the Qantas Apprentices

As a person very much involved in the birth of the Qantas museum - I have already complained at Orbx's attitude to 

the airfield that is the birth of Qantas - and what they show in Australia V2. I made a comment way back about this - and I note 

you commented in that diatribe of mine. Here's the reminder.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/185125-Orbx-and-qantas/

I haven't changed my mind - and have not bothered with the Ant version - because all I have is Orbx on P3D and enough problems

without adding to them  by using other addons - except a/c of course. As for their "Policy of not repeating other developers airfields"

that has been proven to be cods-wallop. That might have been the case way back in the late last decade - but  to an Australian company

its about time Longreach was as important as Caboolture/ Bundaberg etc

and this time without a huge and small Yankee fighters and bombers B)

I mean this is supposed to be the famous Qantas hangar

Annotation 2019-12-24 172952.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-24 172849.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2

I would think the 747 above waits in Wollongong, but I am sure Martyn @VH-KDK will present us with another quest as well, due to his quick identification:

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I would imagine it is the Qantas Founders Outback Museum at Longreach.

• Like 1