Sydney ... or the bush

Stillwater

Today I´ll take you on a little longer tour to some sights of the city and beyond. Sure we start at YSSY again, ...

E4vqtPV.jpg

... head towards the city center, ...

k6cOQEg.jpg

... and cross Sydney cove. After disabling FT´s landclass, the double Harbour Bridge comes up in my p3d again, even though I had disabled highways, primary and secondary roads in Vector. No good look, but I won´t care much.

NPHPZUg.jpg

Taronga Zoo. Well, in real life it is there, not in FTX AU, unfortunately. 

o0PDEmH.jpg

In 2002 this inhabitant was looking at me... and I was faster in those days!

G5ijndV.jpg

Back to the south over Darling Harbour. Cityscape, I miss you!

JTauKDa.jpg

The area of the Olympic Games 2000.

ug3CE6V.jpg

Following the motorway towards the Blue Mountains. A pleasure to see what p3d, a good landclass area and AS16 can show us.

DxxeaM0.jpg

Crossing the plateau...

T4SHDug.jpg

... to Wentworth falls. The structure of the region is much more impressive in motion.

v9wFp0u.jpg

PgluoMw.jpg

Or in real.

rTfglch.jpg

Katoomba city to the right, the 3 sisters below.

coGDKaZ.jpg

And this is the famous view towards the 3 sisters from Echo Point.

wEZ5Tcs.jpg

Katoomba airstrip ahead...

ZNBJpUb.jpg

... and below.

GIIYe6x.jpg

whzzNlv.jpg

OZx was is so great. A lovely piece of work!

yB24PXL.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Fine outing! I specially appreciated being introduced to Katoomba Airstrip. That looks like a must-visit. Thanks!

It is a beaut little challenging airstrip but currently closed to fixed wing aircraft because considered unsafe.  Quite a bit of political debate at the moment about possible re-opening.  Magnificent surrounding scenery.  So, Rodger, careful when you go in!  Read more here:

https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/4760654/call-to-reopen-airfield/

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, flsm (Frank) said:

It is a beaut little challenging airstrip but currently closed to fixed wing aircraft because considered unsafe.  Quite a bit of political debate at the moment about possible re-opening.  Magnificent surrounding scenery.  So, Rodger, careful when you go in!  Read more here:

Cheers.

Thanks, Frank.The article highlights a real sadness when a man dies and the bureaucracy overreacts to such a degree as to cause his family further grief. I'll join you in staying tuned. 

1 minute ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks, Frank.The article highlights a real sadness when a man dies and the bureaucracy overreacts to such a degree as to cause his family further grief. I'll join you in staying tuned. 

Thanks Rodger.  Chart attached to help your safety if you decide to fly in!  Cheers.

Flightplan_YKAT-YKAT_250108.pdf

Nice shots!, I was just there the other day at YKAT, looking at the possibility of capturing the photoreal imagery with my drone in some insane resolution (2cm?), need to seek permission I guess... and figure out how to avoid all the powerlines

Its a bit overrun with scrub and not being maintained since Rod Hay (whom I used to do some flight training with a few years ago) had a tragic accident when his Jabiru microlight plunged into the dense forest about 300m off the end of the runway, it took 3 or 4 days to locate it due to the thickness of the bush, we call it 'tigercountry' as its so hard to get into and it swallows everything, filled with leaches, snakes and spiders.

There is a new leaser now who plans to maintain it again, build a few new hangars and operate heli-tours out to Mudgee and the Wolgan valley, hopefully this comes to fruition, as the airport is invaluable for basing firebombing helicoptors during bushfire crisis... which seem to be every year now 

Some shots at YKAT from a few years ago

YPjQb7d.jpg

07Ii3xz.jpg

caXQqpS.jpg

vQaHIWf.jpg

o7Vrk0q.jpg

aHEKcHW.jpg

EH9At0f.jpg

And Rod (RIP mate) showing off the Jabiru to my brother

OVzJ88C.jpg

And a couple from the surrounding area... the Grose valley

E95Q6LO.jpg

And one from the Jamison valley

QPCUXuy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Tim Harris said:

Nice shots!, I was just there the other day at YKAT, looking at the possibility of capturing the photoreal imagery with my drone in some insane resolution (2cm?), need to seek permission I guess... and figure out how to avoid all the powerlines

Its a bit overrun with scrub and not being maintained since Rod Hay (whom I used to do some flight training with a few years ago) had a tragic accident when his Jabiru microlight plunged into the dense forest about 300m off the end of the runway, it took 3 or 4 days to locate it due to the thickness of the bush, we call it 'tigercountry' as its so hard to get into and it swallows everything, filled with leaches, snakes and spiders.

There is a new leaser now who plans to maintain it again, build a few new hangars and operate heli-tours out to Mudgee and the Wolgan valley, hopefully this comes to fruition, as the airport is invaluable for basing firebombing helicoptors during bushfire crisis... which seem to be every year now 

Some shots at YKAT from a few years ago .......

Nice post fellow Aussie Tim.  Cheers.

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Thank you for the guided tour Gerold! :)

You´re welcome, Paul!

5 hours ago, Chunk said:

Terrific shots Gerold!

Thank you Chunk.

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Outstanding flight and shots Gerold! :)

Thanks Adam. OZx is just so good...

10 hours ago, BradB said:

Mouth watering shots Gerold ......:huh::o:D:)

Cheers

John

Take it as a teaser, John, and re-start planning for your Australia tour. Wouldn´t you have enough time to go down by ship, in case you´re not going business class?

10 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Fine outing! I specially appreciated being introduced to Katoomba Airstrip. That looks like a must-visit. Thanks!

Thanks for you comment Rodger. As we´ve seen you acted as a catalyst in the best possible way!

9 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

Cheers.

I did not know that, Frank. This forum is better than some "newspapers".

7 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great flight Gerold!!!!! I really enjoyed your screenshots and comments!!!!!!!!

Thanks John. The comments are a constant highlight of our community.

9 hours ago, Tim Harris said:

When you, Tim, are doing aerial photos and asking for permissions my fantasy goes off...

Great update with current facts, but even better are all these real shots. I am fascinated by the terminal building, which shoes how good OZx was made. Thank you so much for sharing these!

Great post and fabulous illustrations mate.. Still one of my favorite places..

The fact that it is closed to RL pilots is sad, but that is one of the beauties of simming, we can still fly into the older places that no longer exist in RL. Terry.

Sorry, forgot to thank Tim Harris for his beautiful "Memories" of a great little strip, and the gorgeous Jabiru.. T.

PS.. I am wondering what treasures might be coming with the update of Aus..

Nice series of shots Gerold and a good choice of aircraft.

I eventually purchased/installed FT Sydney to complement Orbx AU YSSY. I'm now very happy with the airfield, terminals, Botany and approaches.

I have not turned off any files. (I'm pretty sure I only have one Bridge.)

What files do people suggest I turn off to get the best blending of the city features?

Aussie

3 hours ago, teecee said:

Great post and fabulous illustrations mate.. Still one of my favorite places..

The fact that it is closed to RL pilots is sad, but that is one of the beauties of simming, we can still fly into the older places that no longer exist in RL. Terry.

Sorry, forgot to thank Tim Harris for his beautiful "Memories" of a great little strip, and the gorgeous Jabiru.. T.

PS.. I am wondering what treasures might be coming with the update of Aus..

Thank you for commenting, Terry. Isn´t good to see what ideas can be created by following this simple "screenshot forum"?

2 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Slependit shots Gerold

Number 3 my fav

I wish Sydney would be upgraded as a cityscape

The Katoomba airstrip looks challenging and very interesting,  I was not aware of its existence, thank you

I´d be with you with such a cityscape, Carlos. Katoomba was upgraded in OZx, I think in the 3.2 edition.

9 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

An excellent post both from Gerold and Tim.

It will be interesting to see how the new edition of AUS pans out.

Indeed we all have some tension regarding this edition. Will we require or be able to add OZx as current? Do we have to discover the virtual continent again (yes...!)?

Let´s share our hopes ans ideas!

8 minutes ago, Aussie123 said:

Nice series of shots Gerold and a good choice of aircraft.

I eventually purchased/installed FT Sydney to complement Orbx AU YSSY. I'm now very happy with the airfield, terminals, Botany and approaches.

I have not turned off any files. (I'm pretty sure I only have one Bridge.)

What files do people suggest I turn off to get the best blending of the city features?

Aussie

Thanks for youor comment, Aussie. The FT airport is great, but it comes with a "landclass" file which interacts with Orbx. When you deactivate this FT-Sydney-LC, you get proper ground in the city. But in parallel the double bridges come up...

Hey stillwater. Took my flight Sydney to Katoomba today and am sorry to report that the Katoomba strip does not appear in FSX. I flew the map coordinates just to be sure, but no joy. On the other hand, the ORBx Global does a halfway decent job with the Blue Mountains valley. I also spotted two clearings close to the KAT radio point. I think I'll go back with a bush plane and see what they might offer. 

11 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey stillwater. Took my flight Sydney to Katoomba today and am sorry to report that the Katoomba strip does not appear in FSX. I flew the map coordinates just to be sure, but no joy. On the other hand, the ORBx Global does a halfway decent job with the Blue Mountains valley. I also spotted two clearings close to the KAT radio point. I think I'll go back with a bush plane and see what they might offer. 

Bad news Rodger, seems your FSX reflects the current official status.

Jokes aside: Do you have OZx installed? Ideally 3.0-3.4 with the libraries?

Great posting, Gerold. Sydney is awesome and my favourite airport in flight sim. The location and the whole layout is just unique.

Your landscape shots are great. I know what you mean, it looks fantastic in motion, you make a screenshot, then look at it and you wonder why you took it in the first place. However, this is not the case with the screens you presented us here. :D

On 11/25/2018 at 2:14 AM, Tim Harris said:

Some shots at YKAT from a few years ago

Thank you a lot for showing these, Tim!

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Great posting, Gerold. Sydney is awesome and my favourite airport in flight sim. The location and the whole layout is just unique.

Your landscape shots are great. I know what you mean, it looks fantastic in motion, you make a screenshot, then look at it and you wonder why you took it in the first place. However, this is not the case with the screens you presented us here. :D

Thank you Lars. Yes it is a pleasure to fly around Sydney. It fits well into FTX and OZx...

Sure one could overcome the effect of the disappointing screenshot by making a video. But I´ll stay with the shots and the memories!

17 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

If the Australia package is he same as OZx, then yes I have it. Libraries are up to date. Am I missing something?

15 hours ago, teecee said:

LOL I just tried to fly YKAT, and I appeared to have lost the file, In fact I had failed at sometime to reinstall it..Talk about a panic:( Teecee.

Dear both, I have just checked which files I have installed in my p3d. There is no special YKAT Katoomba file, it must be included in one of the standard OZx packages. Maybe @Tim Harris knows which package does contain YKAT?

FauvreJ.jpg

Archived