Where in Orbx land and what aircraft are you flying?

Sniper31

Just finished a long flight from Dubrovnik to Berlin Schonefeld in my Queen of the default Skies!

A long flight because firstly I had to go out and buy an new mouse, then had a sleep and finally dinner.

I got there in the end:P

Now I shall install a my CH-53 and go for a flight around Berlin.

14.db14.jpg

Climbing out of LDDU on a very cloudy flight.

Looks like this may be a never ending post, a great idea.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Bassman said:

Currently flying from Edinburgh (Scotland) to Parafield (South Australia) following route flown by George Wright and Kate Clements in 1968 when they migrated to Australia and decided to do so by flying a Beagle (Auster) Terrier. I am flying a freeware Auster J1 Autocrat (which as close as I can get to a Terrier; also it is noted that Beagle were bought out by Auster) currently parked at Southend EGMC readying for departure to Koksijde EBFN (Belgium). They were actually flying to Calais however due to bad weather ended up at Koksijde which was and still is a military airfield however I am trying to stay true to where they actually flew.

Been great using Orbx Scotland and England scenery and will sorely miss their great scenery until I get to Australia where I can again pick up Orbx Australia.

A great project you have ! As I often fly areas that are on your itinerary, allow me to suggest  few things if you have a little money to spare

- OpenLC EU makes a real difference over default from Calais to Eastern Turkey. Specially, it enables visual flying which is, I suppose, a challenge of your world flight.

- after that Turkey, Global + some 3rd party addons like Scenery Tech Asia and Indo-Pacific, although not, by far, as good as OpenLC are again better than default and would give you a sense that you are there.

my two € cents

I redid the flight of this beautiful little movie found in youtube from Ohio to Idaho (FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC NA) and then backcountry small strip (Northern and Central Rockies) with a c185 of carenado. Beautiful little trip ...in summer

The movie (Touching)

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

So tonight, I flew out of and around the venerable YSCH Coffs Harbour  airport (still one of my favorite Orbx airports) and surrounding AU area. My aircraft of choice was the new T-50 Cessna Bobcat (she's an ugly but fun bird to fly). 

I think I have seen you... ;)

2017-2-6_21-16CoffsBigBanana.jpg

I'm on a European mode right now, especially in the UK. I can make shorts hops since every product is a must and the airports are relatively close to one another. Everything done with a BN-2 and a 500S Shrike Aero Commander. :)

I flew the Albatros today from Ioannina to Zakinthos in Greece with OpenLC EU, Vector and two OrbX freeware airports. It is a short (about 100-odd nm) and sweet flight, with a large lake at Ioannina, flying over the mouth of the Isthmus of Corinth and landing on an island. Except that today there was an overcast over the isthmus.  

About to take downwind RW 34 at LGZA.  

2017-2-8_16-53-37-978.jpg

I re-created a real world flight I saw on Flight Aware in the PNW. It was Ameriflight 687 that I noticed was done yesterday in a Piper PA-31. I departed from Roseburg (KRBG) with a stop in Eugene (KEUG) and then onto Portland (KPDX). I used my Carenado PA-31, flew the same altitudes with real weather. It was an absolutely fantastic flight with had calm winds in Roseburg when I departed, but I was soon met with clouds, turbulence, and strong winds as I got to Eugene. The winds when I got to Portland were quite strong out of the Southwest so I actually landed on the shorter RW21 and had a nice final approach coming in over the Columbia River. I've never landed on that runway before.

FWIW, I have many airports in my ORBX  scenery bookmarked on Flightaware, so sometimes when I'm looking for a flight to do I check what came in or out of them that day and pick one to re-create in FSX.  Tonight I'm feeling like checking what came in and out of Monterey (NCA) and maybe do one of those.

16 hours ago, wazemus said:

I redid the flight of this beautiful little movie found in youtube from Ohio to Idaho (FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC NA) and then backcountry small strip (Northern and Central Rockies) with a c185 of carenado. Beautiful little trip ...in summer

Interesting movie and cool idea.  Do you have a map of the route you are using(you used)? 

A long road...

Noble county airport Idaho

KSUS

KBTA

KPIR

6S3 Colombus montana

55H Atlanta idaho the beginning of the backcountry flying adventure

And after that full north for a lot of small airstrip (Johnson Creek) 3U2 the rendez-vous of the backcountry pilots

And a lot small airstrip between Johnson Creek and Yellow Pine Bar

You have to try "Mile Hi"  it’s….scary

I spent several evenings it was a very nice trip !

Last night I had two flights of note:

First off, I did some flying in Orbx ENG out of Elstree and Old Warden airfields. Just doing some flight testing and sight seeing in my A2A Cherokee.

After England, I then shifted to Orbx NoCal and took off from KSQL San Carlos and headed south down the valley towards SoCal in my A2A T-6 Texan, again doing some flight testing and sight seeing.

It was a nice evening of sim flying :)

I flew the Texan T-6 too ;), an aircraft I like a lot even if she is a bear to handle after touchdown (I had another word in mind, also starting with a b ) from San Juan Int'l in Puerto Rico to Beef Is., in the British Virgin Islands, with OpenLC NA.

A short flight above a string of small islands. I had the sun in my back, late afternoon, it was a lovely landscape and light.I like TUPJ RW07 because you have to choose between two nice approaches,  overflying hilly terrain or having an angled approach over the bay.  

I am usually somewhere in North America (PNW/NRM/PFJ/SAK).

My five favourite aircraft (in no particular order) for these areas are -

Flight 1 Super King Air B200

Flight 1 T182T

Aerosoft Beaver

Aerosoft Twin Otter (extended)

Aerosoft Catalina

Apart from the Beaver (which I love but is quite old) they have lots of detail and systems to learn! Having said that one can just use the usual Control+E etc!

These aircraft (for me at least) really suit the scenery plus one can download a number of excellent repaints that are typical for the area.

Just made it to New England after flying the US coast eastward from Texas. Next up is duplicating C-47 supply routes in the WWII Pacific campaign. Hope also to fly some Japanese supply routes in the Japanese transport planes. The bravery of all those guys heading out into hostile conditions over the vast ocean stretches with the primitive navigational aids of the time continues to boggle my mind. For me, that's one of the most profound parts of ORBX flying--going where history has happened and seeing for myself.

Flew the L-39 from Penggung WICD to Malang WARA, in Indonesia. You start facing a 3000-odd meter high volcano and you have 6 more coming, like on a string, during the flight. Global with Vector, the Ultimate mesh and Scenery Tech Indo-Pacific LC map. Lot of clouds too.

I'm 75% of the time a PNW guy. Usually out of Skagit or Orcas Island, but for the last two weeks I can't seem to get away from Catalina Island!  Those flights have been from Catalina Island to Palm Springs and back usually in the Carenado Baron.  Then once I get back to Catalina Island I jump into the Alabeo Sport and do circuits about the island and then make my way into the Vertigo Stearman.

90% orbx Alaska. Learning to master my cs737-200. No problem taking off and nicely flying along. Landing however is something else altogether. Had to apologize to the Township of Valdez for landing(uhm cr...shng) in the middle of Main St. Yes I will help rebuilding the Town. But well yeah flying mostly up here and all the way down to PNW. Great thread sniper. Good to see what and where we all simming.

I had a pretty epic flight last night, including a very good scare! Sorry but this is going to be kind of long.

When I sat down in my “pilots chair” I had no idea where I was going to fly. I decided to look in this thread and pick out one somebody else has done and experience it myself. That lead me to post #63 in which Sniper31 flew from O60 – KBLU. First off I have not flown in Northern Cal in a long time and it was the right length before I hit the hay for the night.

For this flight I decided to take one of my favorite planes. It’s old but I still love it, so I dusted off my Carenado Mooney M20J. I fueled up with about 13 gallons of gas in each tank, which is about 40% capacity. The plane was fairly light with just one passenger and I figured that was about double the fuel I would need to get to the destination. This was a daytime VFR flight with nice (real) weather which had light winds and a few broken clouds.

I departed out of O60 into a light Northwest wind at about 4 knots, and climbed to 2500’ AGL before a right turn to put me on line to KBLU. I continued to climb to 5500’ over the first set of mountains and then over some agricultural fields in the valley below. There is some really nice and varied scenery on this flight, and before I knew it I was back to more mountains in which I had to climb as my destination airport was at about 5200’. These taller mountains looked great with lots of scattered snow.

As I got closer to KBLU I decide to track the highway from the South which followed the mountain ridge  right to the airport. Once there I flew over it to check for any wildlife on the runway and observe the windsock. Then as I began to circle around for the landing my engine started to sputter and stall (Yikes!!!) and I knew this was very bad. I was basically on my downwind leg, only about 800’ above the airport altitude, my landing gear was out, flaps setting at one, and my airspeed low. If I did not get it restarted very fast I’d be in big trouble and certainly never make it to the runway, and there was no good/flat place to put my Mooney down as I’m surrounded by mountain tops. Anyway all that drama only took a couple seconds and I realized I had forgotten to switch my fuel tanks. Doh! Remember when I said I estimated I had double the fuel I needed, well I was right, but I was enjoying the flight so much I neglected to watch my fuel gauges and ran the right tank dry. Luckily for me this is just a sim and maybe not overly realistic. What I mean by that is I’m sure the engine completely stalled in the few seconds it took me to realize what was happening, and when I switched to my left tank the engine fired up again without me having to try restarting it. Not sure if that would happen in the real aircraft? I guess the magnetos are still on and the prop is still turning, but I really don’t know for sure? In any case major crisis averted, and even though it’s a sim my heart was pounding.

Anyway after that scare I quickly got my bearings and came in for the landing, but it wasn’t one of my better ones. As I crossed airport’s fence to what I would call decision height I should have aborted and initiated a go-round. You see I have not flown the Mooney in quite a while and the numbers on the air speed indicator are surprising small to read. As such I was coming in a little too fast, but knew I had a 3200’ runway so I pulled the throttle back and bleed off speed just a few feet above the runway until I could grease the landing which I did, but beyond the normal touchdown point. Now the next problem occurred in that the runway was in winter condition so it was a little slick and my braking action was reduced. I did manage to get it stopped with a few hundred feet of runway remaining, but really I made a couple bad decisions in the heat of the moment, and should have taken my time after the engine stall to regroup and refocus.

Now after all of that there was no way I was going to bed like I had originally planned. My adrenaline was going, I almost crashed in the mountains, and I made some poor decisions on my landing. There was no way I could end my night on those notes, so I added a second leg and flew on to KTVL (Lake Tahoe).

This leg was also beautiful and took me to an altitude of 9500’ to cross over some big mountains here. Flying over Lake Tahoe I noticed wind had switched to the South so it was a nice decent straight into the airport with a very nice landing at 6200’. This had me feeling a lot better to then call it a night. LOL

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I had a pretty epic flight last night, including a very good scare!

T-Bone, I enjoyed your flight story as well! Pretty dramatic for sure. Glad I could assist with the inspiration too. I know I have gotten some good flight ideas from others in this thread. I look forward to the next flight sim adventure you or anyone else would like to share...good times!

Just finished a flight in Orbx PNW, from KHQM Bowerman to 74S Anacortes. My aircraft for this flight was the Carenado Shrike 500s, and I had some rather wet and overcast weather. Flying at 8500' I was wondering if the clouds would break for an easier landing at 74S, and luckily they did. By the time I landed I had very clear visibility for at least 15 miles. I also saw quite a few freighters trolling about in the waterways just south of Anacortes courtesy of Henrik Neilsen's AI Shipping freeware AI. Always love seeing those ships :)

Great idea - only just spotted this!

Been file shuffling for a while, trying to tidy up my system. Part of that involved getting an F-111 out of the hangar to see what it looked like - been parked so long I'd forgotten if it was any good. I noticed one of the liveries was for the 'plane that did the 1986 bombing of Tripoli and with the help of Wiki did a sort of re-run of that. Had to take some liberties with the timing as flying over the Med for an 02:00 target destination doesn't really show you much. A bit warlike for my normal taste, but it did show me lots of areas that I will go back to in a more peaceable manor - the northern African coastline looks interesting, and I fancy taking a blimp from Gibraltar across and into Morocco. So, no regions involved on this trip, apart from setting out from Lakenheath in EU Eng, just Global, OLC and vector.

CRM: KSUN to KLLJ 100 NM in Summer time conditions to see the landscape.

The idea for this flight came from a TV show I watched this past week called Arial America. Most episodes are devoted to showing highlights and points of interest of a particular state, from the air. I love the episodes which I have Orbx scenery for, and this show was about Idaho. Wow! I forgot how beautiful this state is, and I now have several flights planned.

For this flight I decided to take my Carenado T210M for it's TSIO-520 6 cyl Turbo 310hp engine. It's got the high wings for unobstructed sightseeing, climbs well in the mountains with the Turbo, and flies nice at 10,000-14,000'.   

Anyway my flight departs from Sun Valley where they get 250 days of sun each year. I had my Plan-G on my second monitor and I basically just followed interstate 75 to the North zig zagging a little to an area called the Sawtooth Mountain Range. At first I flew up along side the range, and after seeing them it's pretty obvious where they got their name. This is some of the Rocky Mountains at their finest. It was so nice here I actually circled back and flew directly over the centre of them again at 12,000', and then turned North again observing out the side from about 14,000'. The peaks on this range are about 10,000'. Also there are countless lakes and ponds in this range.   

Flying North again I got to a place called Stanley and I turned right and continued following I 75 now going east through a completely different looking mountain range. These were filled with pine forests, and after passing a place called Clayton I turned North again to my destination Challis. This final phase of the flight had yet again another different mountain range, this time more desert like conditions. My landing at KLLJ was challenging with a 14 knot crosswind.

Overall a great 100nm flight that takes you through 3 different types of mountain ranges. I will do this again one day in winter conditions in the opposite direction just to see what it's like. 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:27 AM, T-Bone said:

I had a pretty epic flight last night, including a very good scare! Sorry but this is going to be kind of long.

When I sat down in my “pilots chair” I had no idea where I was going to fly. I decided to look in this thread and pick out one somebody else has done and experience it myself. That lead me to post #63 in which Sniper31 flew from O60 – KBLU. First off I have not flown in Northern Cal in a long time and it was the right length before I hit the hay for the night.

For this flight I decided to take one of my favorite planes. It’s old but I still love it, so I dusted off my Carenado Mooney M20J. I fueled up with about 13 gallons of gas in each tank, which is about 40% capacity. The plane was fairly light with just one passenger and I figured that was about double the fuel I would need to get to the destination. This was a daytime VFR flight with nice (real) weather which had light winds and a few broken clouds.

I departed out of O60 into a light Northwest wind at about 4 knots, and climbed to 2500’ AGL before a right turn to put me on line to KBLU. I continued to climb to 5500’ over the first set of mountains and then over some agricultural fields in the valley below. There is some really nice and varied scenery on this flight, and before I knew it I was back to more mountains in which I had to climb as my destination airport was at about 5200’. These taller mountains looked great with lots of scattered snow.

As I got closer to KBLU I decide to track the highway from the South which followed the mountain ridge  right to the airport. Once there I flew over it to check for any wildlife on the runway and observe the windsock. Then as I began to circle around for the landing my engine started to sputter and stall (Yikes!!!) and I knew this was very bad. I was basically on my downwind leg, only about 800’ above the airport altitude, my landing gear was out, flaps setting at one, and my airspeed low. If I did not get it restarted very fast I’d be in big trouble and certainly never make it to the runway, and there was no good/flat place to put my Mooney down as I’m surrounded by mountain tops. Anyway all that drama only took a couple seconds and I realized I had forgotten to switch my fuel tanks. Doh! Remember when I said I estimated I had double the fuel I needed, well I was right, but I was enjoying the flight so much I neglected to watch my fuel gauges and ran the right tank dry. Luckily for me this is just a sim and maybe not overly realistic. What I mean by that is I’m sure the engine completely stalled in the few seconds it took me to realize what was happening, and when I switched to my left tank the engine fired up again without me having to try restarting it. Not sure if that would happen in the real aircraft? I guess the magnetos are still on and the prop is still turning, but I really don’t know for sure? In any case major crisis averted, and even though it’s a sim my heart was pounding.

Anyway after that scare I quickly got my bearings and came in for the landing, but it wasn’t one of my better ones. As I crossed airport’s fence to what I would call decision height I should have aborted and initiated a go-round. You see I have not flown the Mooney in quite a while and the numbers on the air speed indicator are surprising small to read. As such I was coming in a little too fast, but knew I had a 3200’ runway so I pulled the throttle back and bleed off speed just a few feet above the runway until I could grease the landing which I did, but beyond the normal touchdown point. Now the next problem occurred in that the runway was in winter condition so it was a little slick and my braking action was reduced. I did manage to get it stopped with a few hundred feet of runway remaining, but really I made a couple bad decisions in the heat of the moment, and should have taken my time after the engine stall to regroup and refocus.

Now after all of that there was no way I was going to bed like I had originally planned. My adrenaline was going, I almost crashed in the mountains, and I made some poor decisions on my landing. There was no way I could end my night on those notes, so I added a second leg and flew on to KTVL (Lake Tahoe).

This leg was also beautiful and took me to an altitude of 9500’ to cross over some big mountains here. Flying over Lake Tahoe I noticed wind had switched to the South so it was a nice decent straight into the airport with a very nice landing at 6200’. This had me feeling a lot better to then call it a night. LOL

I'm still enjoying California.  They say that getting there is half the fun - in Flight Simulator it is probably all of the fun.  I do however, enjoy learning about my virtual destinations.  I will frequently look up a destination on line (Wikipedia is good), and find interesting info on these places.  For example - New Coalinga (C80).  It's a new airport, the old one is still there, right on the edge of town.  The town started as "Coaling Station 'A'" on the WP railroad, later shortened to "Coaling A", and eventually to Coalinga.  Major industry and employer is the local prison.  Another interesting spot is, New Cuyama (L88).  This little town of fewer than 600 was started to house workers for Atlantic Richfield in 1951.  Now that ARCO is gone it is mostly agricultural.  The airport was refurbished in 2015, and of last report has about 40 movements a month.  The only attraction seems to be a burger place that is reputed to have good BBQ.  There are interesting pictures online, including a little video of an overflight and landing at the airport. 

Just another way of breathing extra life into our hobby  -if you're going to virtually fly somewhere, may as well take a little time and virtually visit.

Ken

Archived