This Week's Meaningless Topic (#110) (Oct 14)

Hi all.  Writers of biography often divide lifetimes into decades for narrative purposes--the teen years, the twenties, the thirties, and so forth--it's a convenient framework. In a given life, those decades may be quite different from one another; someone with troubled teen years may settle into a productive life in their forties and fifties and mature into contented peace in their sixties. It's the variation of content in our decades that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which was the best decade of your life? Why?

A.  Your teens.                     E.  Your fifties.

B.   Your twenties.              F.  Your sixties.

C.   Your thirties.                G.  Your seventies.

D.    Your forties.                 H.  Your eighties.

I.   Your nineties.

• Like 3

A, because I made great progress in all areas of life.

Also B, because I made great progress in all areas of life.

C as well, because I made great progress in all areas of life.

D was also great, because I made great progress in all areas of life.

E is also filled with success and great developments, unfortunately influenced by the death of many of the elder generation.

I hope for a good F, G, H & I as well, but we need to come back on this post then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

B-in the military, met the wife, had our first child.....

D-was the worst, struggled with things in my head, better place now,and still have the wife to lean on when I can't cope....but I guess we've all been there...

Edited by wain71
spell
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

B.  Twenties.   I was in the Royal Air Force, care free and living life for the moment.  I loved my time at Cranwell and the friends made.  Seems that things are just a little harder in my fourties' and with kids - more responsibilities now I guess (but I wouldn’t be without the kids, and wife!!).   Good times, fond memories, great friends.  

Oh, and cheaper car insurance kicks in at 25!!

Edited by gpickup
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

I too will start with "B."  I was enjoying graduate school.  Unlike most grad students I was quite well off financially, bringing in more income than I would for years afterwards.  I had a nice stipend for teaching, veterans' GI Bill payments, and USNR drill pay.  I had a vibrant group of friends, one of whom became my wife.  It was the most "fun" period of my life.

But then there is "E.". During this period of my life my career in the museum really blossomed.  We bought our house, and finally exceeded the financial state I enjoyed as a grad student. Life was good.

But now I'm " G" and life IS good.  Although I suffer from some of the physical problems of my age, generally my health is good.  I enjoy being semi-retired working part time at the museum job I love, and having my wife working with me.  Our life and ministry in the church is satifying. The house is paid off, and there's money in the bank.   Now that Covid is less threatening we are slowly rebuilding our social life.  Long may this continue.

And my wife agrees with this assessment, and especially that grad school years were the most fun.

By the way, we've been married for 44 years.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2