This Week's Meaningless Topic (#69) (Jan 1)

As we enter a new year, many are commenting on how little they will miss 2021. Pandemic, politics, economic turmoil, proctology and colonoscopy. It seems to have been a year that invites nasty comments. Which is not at all fair. No year is without its gifts and joys. It's in that positive spirit that we offer this chance to give poor little 2021 a kinder farewell.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What is the best thing that happened to you in 2021?

• Like 4

Having seen several of my contemporaries succumb to various conditions/ illnesses I am more than glad my wife and I are able to see in 2022 when it arrives in the UK. Wishing you all a healthy 2022. On a more mundane note, being able to fly again after two years to witness in person my favourite football team win two games has got to be up there.

John L

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

There were quite some negative aspects of 2021 for me.

But as you want to hear positive things, I have to look at work: The most important project of the last decades for me has been approved. Well, that´s causing lots of work, but for a good purpose.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

There were quite some negative aspects of 2021 for me.

But as you want to hear positive things, I have to look at work: The most important project of the last decades for me has been approved. Well, that´s causing lots of work, but for a good purpose.

Best of luck with the project, of course I'm curious as all get out as to what it is!!  :ph34r:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Best of luck with the project, of course I'm curious as all get out as to what it is!!  :ph34r:

Thank you Rob. It is not OLC Asia (unfortunately), just my job. And I do not like to post about that, as an attempt of professionalism... :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Best thing for me was 5 nights at Uluru end of May with my wife. We timed it perfectly in between lockdowns etc. As there were no international tourists and very few domestic tourists we were often the only ones on the tours. It was quite a spiritual experience wandering around Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) all by our selves. On one day we hiked around the base of Uluru plus some other POI's and clocked up nearly 19km. It was the only holiday of 3 getaways that we didn't need to cancel. We had a trip booked to the Barrier Reef and The International Airshow, both which we had to cancel. The Northern Territory was most definitely the highlight.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Well, at 88 (me) and 87 (her) the best thing that happened is we survived!:)  Hopefully that will continue especially as I am looking forward to receiving my new Kindle Paperwhite and I want to wear it out!

I completely echo Landon's sentiments and wish you all a happy and successful year.

JohnY

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

On 1/1/2022 at 9:11 AM, flyingfish55 said:

Having seen several of my contemporaries succumb to various conditions/ illnesses I am more than glad my wife and I are able to see in 2022 when it arrives in the UK. Wishing you all a healthy 2022. On a more mundane note, being able to fly again after two years to witness in person my favourite football team win two games has got to be up there.

John L

Which football team might that be John?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, boetie said:

Best thing for me was 5 nights at Uluru end of May with my wife. We timed it perfectly in between lockdowns etc. As there were no international tourists and very few domestic tourists we were often the only ones on the tours. It was quite a spiritual experience wandering around Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) all by our selves. On one day we hiked around the base of Uluru plus some other POI's and clocked up nearly 19km. It was the only holiday of 3 getaways that we didn't need to cancel.

That sounds absolutely great, indeed a dreamtime story.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Well, for me there was plenty in 2021 that I enjoyed...

1) fun, multi day trip to Roswell NM..didn't see any actual aliens, but was fun to explore the sights and sounds in town.

2) An awesome week long Jeepin' trip with friend to Moab Utah! Can't wait to go again!

3) A great week long rafting and camping trip on the Colorado River with other Veterans. Great, social adventurous week that was!

4) A 5 day Jeepin' trip to Ouray CO, in the southwest Rockies with friends. Great trails and beautiful scenery!

5) A return of my favorite time of the year, beginning of December I attended a week long ski trip in Breckenridge CO with hundreds of other Veterans, friends and family members. Already counting the days until next December.

Quite a great list, Landon, sonds good!

• Like 4

I never imagine I would reach 80 and now I will be 83 in April (my is 81) we have been married 58 years. I was a real world pilot, now

I'm a sim pilot :unsure:.  Would love to see a few more years!

sidler

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, sidler said:

I never imagine I would reach 80 and now I will be 83 in April (my is 81) we have been married 58 years. I was a real world pilot, now

I'm a sim pilot :unsure:.  Would love to see a few more years!

sidler

Somehow I have the feeling  you'll be doing just that sidler!

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 12:31 AM, flyingfish55 said:

Dundee United. Proud to stay I flew home from Pakistan to see them win the Scottish Premiership for the one and only time in 1983. Those heady days are long gone.

Ah the men in Orange. My dad was born in Dundee. Still have cousins living there. Funnily enough the last time I was there was in 1983 :)

• Like 3