Fresh start thread 2021

Hi all. Like most of us, I have been sidelined by the lockdown and, additionally, by getting the final book of my WWII trilogy finished and onto Amazon (enter "Pettichord" and the set will come up). In the middle of that, I was trying to find a way to fly in a satisfying sim. I "graduated" from FSX into P3D4, only to find the crashes and glitches intolerable. So I rebuilt my computer and waited for MSFS, only to experience even more crashes and glitches. Finally, I went back to FSX-SE and am just starting to do some simming again. 

Several people have mentioned on the Forum that they miss the old days when there was a lot of good-humored interplay. John York and I have stayed in touch, and he and I were bemoaning that very fact the other day. It used to be fun to come in, take a seat, and contribute to the gentle camaraderie. It was good company, well-moderated, a daily pleasure. 2020 seems to have deflated that just as it has deflated so much more.

So I say let's make a fresh start. I invite us to make this thread into a 2021 oasis where good folks can gather to share gentle topics and tell tall tales. No other purpose than to make the world a little better each day for those who come aboard. I will pledge to log on every day, so you will have at least one person to say hi to if you log on. If It doesn't work, well, dammit, at least we tried.

Meaningless topic for today--who wins an aerial dogfight (1) Errol Flynn, (2) John Wayne, (3) Tom Cruise, (4) Scarlett Johansson

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Fresh start thread 2021
1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Hi Rodger,

Happy 2021!  This year I'm staying up to midnight to make sure 2020 actually leaves.  :lol:

As for the dog fight, Tom Cruise wins if you factor in his supposed movie skills, but Scarlet Johansson would distract him and beat him down.  LOL

But Errol Flynn’s rapier fast moves and cunning smile would surely be a match.  I mean he speaks treason fluently with a glint in his eye. 

To the greenwood men and feast yourselves!  

14 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Hi Rodger,

Happy 2021!  This year I'm staying up to midnight to make sure 2020 actually leaves.  :lol:

As for the dog fight, Tom Cruise wins if you factor in his supposed movie skills, but Scarlet Johansson would distract him and beat him down.  LOL

Hey Rob. I'm with you for the New Year's Eve sendoff. 2020--Get the hell off my lawn! As for your vote, Scarlet trails enough pheromones to boil a lake. I think you're right.

12 hours ago, gpickup said:

But Errol Flynn’s rapier fast moves and cunning smile would surely be a match.  I mean he speaks treason fluently with a glint in his eye. 

To the greenwood men and feast yourselves!  

Hey gpickup, plus nobody out-duels Basil Rathbone better than Errol does. I raise a tankard to your vote!

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Carlos. Good to hear from you. Just because you are handsome like Tom Cruise doesn't mean you have to vote for him, you know :D.

jajajajaja I wish I were

I did admire him when I was young, you know, those days of Top Gun, full marketing did the job

I lived the fantasy

I was just 17 and felt invincible :lol:

Oh boy, those days were fun

2 hours ago, carlosqr said:

jajajajaja I wish I were

I did admire him when I was young, you know, those days of Top Gun, full marketing did the job

I lived the fantasy

I was just 17 and felt invincible :lol:

Oh boy, those days were fun

Hey Carlos. I know what you mean. That opening carrier sequence still stirs the blood and makes me want to run out and enlist for action.

12 hours ago, W2DR said:

My vote goes to Big Bad Leroy Brown.

Hey, W2DR. Can't argue -- "Badder than old King Kong, meaner than a junkyard dog." Put him in an F-22 and...

21 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

The Duke

Hey Sniper31. Can't go wrong with the classics. eh?

2 hours ago, adambar said:

None of the above Rodger. I'll put my money on Erich " Bubi " Hartmann or John Belushi.:D

Hi adambar. Hmmm--Erich Hartmann in his Bf 109 or John Belushi in his wingless P-40? Now there's a contest.

Hi all. Okay, the results of our first meaningless topic vote are in -- IT'S A TIE! In a nice split between generations, Tom Cruise and John Wayne received equal numbers.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC IS -- If you could have only one tool in your kit, it would be (1) pliers, (2) hammer  (3) screwdriver, (4) John Venema

Submit lightly-held opinions for the fun of it. Extra points for wit and wisdom. Have a great week!

15 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi all. Okay, the results of our first meaningless topic vote are in -- IT'S A TIE! In a nice split between generations, Tom Cruise and John Wayne received equal numbers.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC IS -- If you could have only one tool in your kit, it would be (1) pliers, (2) hammer  (3) screwdriver, (4) John Venema

Submit lightly-held opinions for the fun of it. Extra points for wit and wisdom. Have a great week!

Hammer. If my PC freezes once more I take the hammer to it.:angry::D

It has been said:  you only need two tools.  A roll of duck tape and a can of WD40.  If it moves, and is not supposed to,use the duck tape.  If it's supposed to move, and doesn't, use the WD40.  As for myself, I'll vote for the pliers, with a tin can and a wire coat hanger I can do a lot, as long as I have a pair of pliers.

Ken

For the one tool question, I am going with pliers as well. As said by Ken above, there is much you can do with some pliers and you can especially use them to make more tools. They can even double AS a hammer if used right ;) 

4 hours ago, Ken Q said:

It has been said:  you only need two tools.  A roll of duck tape and a can of WD40.  If it moves, and is not supposed to,use the duck tape.  If it's supposed to move, and doesn't, use the WD40.  As for myself, I'll vote for the pliers, with a tin can and a wire coat hanger I can do a lot, as long as I have a pair of pliers.

Ken

Hey KenQ. You've got me curious--what are we building?

4 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

For the one tool question, I am going with pliers as well. As said by Ken above, there is much you can do with some pliers and you can especially use them to make more tools. They can even double AS a hammer if used right ;) 

Hey Sniper31.  Wow, sounds like quite a pair of pliers. 

4 hours ago, TerribleT said:

The old saying in the bush here used to be: if wire don't tye it, araldite don't fix it and WD40 don't make it go - chuck it out - it ain't worth having :lol:

As for the tool: one of those bottle/can openers is always an essential for me :ph34r:

Hi TerribleT. Use the bottle-opener enough times and you don't care about the rest of the tools?

2 hours ago, Ken Q said:

This saith the wife:  what about a Swiss army knife?

Ken

Hey Ken. Sounds like the good wife knows her stuff!

Hey KenQ what do you use duck tape for? I find duct tape more useful because then you don't have to worry about ducks getting lose:P Having had my bit of fun, in all seriousness I have found that Gaffer tape is the essentail temporary repair tool as it is much stronger than "duck" tape:P

6 hours ago, Bassman said:

Hey KenQ what do you use duck tape for? I find duct tape more useful because then you don't have to worry about ducks getting lose:P Having had my bit of fun, in all seriousness I have found that Gaffer tape is the essentail temporary repair tool as it is much stronger than "duck" tape:P

Actually the original is "Duck Tape ."  That is the original brand name . Accept no substitutes.

I used to be quite handy with all these tools, used the hammer to start the screw in the wood then the pliers to straighten the screw then the screwdriver to finish the job.

But with the passing of time & the onsett of arthritis that has sadly passed. Then I read in a National newspaper someone used WD40 on his arthitic knees to ease the pain & make them more movable, so I thought I would try the same, well I sprayed my knees & rubbed it in then decided to clean the kitchen floor, got down on my knees & started to clean then " whoosh"

I  went flying across the floor & out of the door, well the WD40 certainly worked.

I d'ont use it anymore I get my son to do all the jobs now

regards.

43 minutes ago, robrooke said:

I used to be quite handy with all these tools, used the hammer to start the screw in the wood then the pliers to straighten the screw then the screwdriver to finish the job.

But with the passing of time & the onsett of arthritis that has sadly passed. Then I read in a National newspaper someone used WD40 on his arthitic knees to ease the pain & make them more movable, so I thought I would try the same, well I sprayed my knees & rubbed it in then decided to clean the kitchen floor, got down on my knees & started to clean then " whoosh"

I  went flying across the floor & out of the door, well the WD40 certainly worked.

regards.

Haha! Now that's a good story :) 

12 hours ago, Bassman said:

Hi Bassman. Plus gaffer tape leaves no residue. I just learned that on Google :)

7 hours ago, JohnY said:

Oh, and I vote for Alan Ladd.

Welcome back John! Good to have you back on the forum. As for Alan--Shane is hard to beat.

4 hours ago, robrooke said:

regards.

Hey robrooke. So how far did you get before the WD40 wore off your knees?

Hi Rodger

Pretty good stuff this WD40,  I slid accross the yard & slammed into next doors fence, upon which the next door neighbour came out to see what all the noise was about,

she was still administering the kiss of life to me  when the one that must be obeyed saw us,  needless to say I now share the kennel with the dog

regards,

Good idea this meaningless topic week,

4 hours ago, robrooke said:

Hi Rodger

Pretty good stuff this WD40,  I slid accross the yard & slammed into next doors fence, upon which the next door neighbour came out to see what all the noise was about,

she was still administering the kiss of life to me  when the one that must be obeyed saw us,  needless to say I now share the kennel with the dog

regards,

Good idea this meaningless topic week,

Hi robrooke. :lol: You will need more than hammer, pliers, and screwdriver to get out of that doghouse!

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Pliers gets the nod.   And, if things get stinky you can pinch off your nose!  :P

Hey Rob. Excellent point! I'm trnnnggg itt ashh wee speeek.

Hi KenQ,  your information prompted me to google further. One is learning all the time.    Duct tape was first invented by a female factory worker during World War II. It was originally called 'duck' tape because it was made out of a cotton duck fabric and it repelled water like a duck's back.  (Wikipedia).  :)

13 hours ago, Bassman said:

Hi KenQ,  your information prompted me to google further. One is learning all the time.    Duct tape was first invented by a female factory worker during World War II. It was originally called 'duck' tape because it was made out of a cotton duck fabric and it repelled water like a duck's back.  (Wikipedia).  :)

Also called Army Tape at the time.

Archived