Fresh start thread 2021

3 hours ago, paddler said:

We call it "Gun Tape" in the army up here.

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi paddler. That's interesting. Do you know why? That's pretty specific.

In the Army here, we call it 100Mph tape. Or, some times, just green tape ;)

No idea what the origin of the term "Gun Tape" is. It was the universal fix-it for everything. It was used for taping the edge of the platform of the Huey when rappelling or static line jumping, securing any and everything. Reliable and almost indestructible. And of course, the perfect color! What a prize if you could secure a role of it.

5 hours ago, paddler said:

No idea what the origin of the term "Gun Tape" is. It was the universal fix-it for everything. It was used for taping the edge of the platform of the Huey when rappelling or static line jumping, securing any and everything. Reliable and almost indestructible. And of course, the perfect color! What a prize if you could secure a role of it.

Same uses for the U.S. Army. I could not even tell you all of the uses we have used it for, but includes all the above. In addition, we use it to secure gear to our rucksacks, web gear, body armor, we use it for airborne ops, for equipment sling loading with helo's...you name it. I've even used it for medical aid in some tight situations in combat when we ran out of proper medical supplies. Some 100Mph tape and some cloth, and you've got yourself a pressure bandage. Might sting a bit when you rip it off though ;) 

Hi all. By the powers vested in me by me as thread originator, I am changing this week's Meaningless Topic. Hammer, screwdriver, and pliers, all paled in favor of Duct/Duck/Army/Gun/Green tape. So here's the new topic

The best use for Duct tape is (A) to seal ducts,  (B) to fix what's broke,  (C) to substitute for something else,  (D) to be the hero of tall tales

Examples are encouraged :D

Duct tape could/should be used for anything and everything that needs: held down, held up, held together, tied down, tied up, upholstery repair, floor repair, ceiling repair, glass pane repair, tail light repair, convertible top repair, boat repair just to name a few things that I have seen people use it for, not to mention all of the things that are mentioned in the posts above mine. :blink::rolleyes::D
Personally, I think it should be used as intended "for duct work" + all of the above, if necessary! :lol:

So Rodger, I guess my answer would be A & B for sure, C possibly, and D could probably be covered in all of that!

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

My daddy taught me that if it won't move and it should, use WD40. And, if it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. So..........I vote for fixing what's broke.

Hey W2DR. That's a wise dad. Covers about everything, right?

14 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Duct tape could/should be used for anything and everything that needs: held down, held up, held together, tied down, tied up, upholstery repair, floor repair, ceiling repair, glass pane repair, tail light repair, convertible top repair, boat repair just to name a few things that I have seen people use it for, not to mention all of the things that are mentioned in the posts above mine. :blink::rolleyes::D
Personally, I think it should be used as intended "for duct work" + all of the above, if necessary! :lol:

So Rodger, I guess my answer would be A & B for sure, C possibly, and D could probably be covered in all of that!

Hey Wakashi. I'll have to show you how to make a great pocket toothpick holder out of duct tape. :)

On 9/12/2020 at 1:47 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Several people have mentioned on the Forum that they miss the old days when there was a lot of good-humored interplay. John York and I have stayed in touch, and he and I were bemoaning that very fact the other day. It used to be fun to come in, take a seat, and contribute to the gentle camaraderie. It was good company, well-moderated, a daily pleasure. 2020 seems to have deflated that just as it has deflated so much more.

I just found this thread, Rodger, because I have lots of real life action these days and rarely visit the forum. I have even dismantled my flight stick!

All I must say: You are damn right. Let us try to turn this clock back - or forwards!

On 9/16/2020 at 9:03 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

The best use for Duct tape is (A) to seal ducts,  (B) to fix what's broke,  (C) to substitute for something else,  (D) to be the hero of tall tales

... and I vote for D. Never travel without. We should start to make a photo documentation of that!

12 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I just found this thread, Rodger, because I have lots of real life action these days and rarely visit the forum. I have even dismantled my flight stick!

All I must say: You are damn right. Let us try to turn this clock back - or forwards!

Hey Stillwater. Good to have you aboard. Jump in here and into Version 2.0 anytime. You always have good thoughts.

Archived