Orbx and Microsoft Flight Simulator

Just now, BrianV said:

I would be interested to know if the TE products would also make it into MSFS2020.

I don't think that would be necessary would it? The default MSFS 2020 scenery looks to be so good that it will be comparable with the quality of TE anyway.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I'm just gonna come right out and say it! - So releived to hear this news because I am an Orbx fan (me luv yoo long time) and following the diz-ast-urr of P3D V5 I'm looking for a new platform; bought it (V5) tried it, failed miserably and reverted back to 4.5. And that's fine, keep the money.

Orbx and Microsoft?? Outstanding.

Kindest Regards

Graham

Hi

I think we were all hoping and half guessed that Orbx would be working with and producing add-ons for MSFS2020.

Some of us have been lucky enough to Alpha Test MSFS2020 for a few months now (no further comment).

Is it too early to ask for a sneak peak or a teasing screenshot or two of an Orbx product in development for MSFS2020 or does the NDA not allow it (totally understand if that’s the case).

Again great news.

I'll be waiting for the dust to settle after the launch of MSFS 2020 next month. I certainly won't be diving in immediately on the launch day next month. I'll probably wait until next year before purchasing this, but I must admit, the super deluxe version (or whatever their calling it - the £100 version) does look very attractive to be honest. Now I know there's been a shed load of preparation and testing with this over the last year, but surely it won't be completely 100% bug free on release will it?

1 minute ago, makapala said:

Dude - I'm still waiting for FSX to be 100% bug free ;)

Fact is that the Premium edition is offering 300-500 dollars worth of add-ons in the bundle. sounds a reasonable deal.

Ah yes, that's true. Laminar's default B747-400 for example has never really been 100% functional and we've had to wait for some kind souls to come along and fix some of those faults.

Yes, I'll almost certainly go with the Premium version.

Just knowing  Orbx CENTRAL will be there for my foray into a "new simulator world" is like "having an old friend"  by one's side sharing life's future enjoyments.  Thanks Orbx ! :wub:

10 minutes ago, bell777 said:

I'm wondering if I'm going to fly with MSFS 2020 or FSX.

Believe me, when you see MSFS there will be no competition. And for the standard version there is not much difference in price.

Very good news that Orbx working together wirth the new Sim, I have the intention to buy the 'Super Deluxe Edition' but first I will strip my current P3D and XP Sim's. Not delete them but cut them far enough so I remain suficient space on my 2TB SSD to welcome MSFS2020 in full glory. And as promised by Orbx, gradually expand it with a growing number of Orbx-Adds.

12 minutes ago, NeilG said:

Yeah, that’s an interesting question.

Well,MSFS team hopes that one of the first place’s you to once installed over your place of dwelling and see it standing in true form... maybe TE does the same ? 

1 hour ago, orbmoke said:

I'll be waiting for the dust to settle after the launch of MSFS 2020 next month. I certainly won't be diving in immediately on the launch day next month. I'll probably wait until next year before purchasing this, but I must admit, the super deluxe version (or whatever their calling it - the £100 version) does look very attractive to be honest. Now I know there's been a shed load of preparation and testing with this over the last year, but surely it won't be completely 100% bug free on release will it?

If it is bug free it will be the first MS product to achieve that status. I'll be waiting until until V1.5 or later - if I bother at all. I like what I have woth p3d. It was version 3 of p3d before I moved across from FSX.

1 hour ago, BrianV said:

I would be interested to know if the TE products would also make it into MSFS2020.

I'm guessing not so much the scenery but certainly the POIs would be welcome. Also would love the UK airports in there like Edinburgh, Sumburgh & Dundee so I can do some quality local flights. 

1 minute ago, Donka said:

I'm guessing not so much the scenery but certainly the POIs would be welcome. Also would love the UK airports in there like Edinburgh, Sumburgh & Dundee so I can do some quality local flights. 

i’d be happy with anywhere.. Hell I’d buy Adak Alaska if it was good lol

Great news about MSFS development!  While I agree that TE may not be viable for MSFS (in it’s current form), I personally think that some sort of global (or continental) POI package from Orbx would be amazing.  This is truly a VFR simulator.  People are going to be flying low/slow over their hometowns and over the many wonders of the World.  We know that MSFS inlcudes a handful of custom POI, but I’m thinking of iconic churches, more castles, iconic skyscrapers, etc. - the World over!  

P.S. - and obviously any airport that comes over is more than welcome ;)

6 hours ago, annacico said:

Hi all

Just by way of intro, I have been Orbx’s CEO since September 2019

Hi Anna,

a belated welcome to the Orbx family. I'm a happy and proud member here since 2006 and like many of us, I own many if not most Orbx products for both P3D and XP11. I know John Venema from his first steps into the FS9 world. If you allow me to ask this question, if you are since Sept. 2019 the new CEO, what has happened to John?

2 hours ago, DexyRed said:

That was my plan as an existing game pass subscriber. It lasted all of four hours before I just bought the Premium Deluxe. So, yeah...

I too - am a X Box/PC Gold games pass subscriber - and I have gone for the free download of the standard - which will clearly last me

until November when the new X Box series will appear - and presumably - it will launch with the new sim 

This will allow me to keep using P3D with all my Orbx investments - and keep the ability to use the aircraft I have in my hangar already

Although my mid range PC meets the highest stated requirements for the PC - the new powerful X box series  - will be much more capable - as an "out of the box"

premier de luxe  sim console - and since I cannot see how one can install addons - (My Hangar) - into the X box unless MS come up with an equivalent Orbx Central -

this old bloke will continue with Games pass standard  on my PC

What I don't see in all that we have seen so far - is the ability to upgrade from standard to one of the other 2 qualities at a later date - whether in games pass or not

10 minutes ago, GUIBRU said:

The question does not arise. TE is useless for MSFS 2020.

Some small areas may be a bit better with TE, but the question arises is it enough to warrant the cost for what may be a very small upgrade?  Personally, for me, the answer is no.  The global scenery in MSFS is more than enough for me.  I’m interested in addon airports, additional POI, ai traffic (boats, cars, trains) etc.  

2 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

I too - am a X Box/PC Gold games pass subscriber - and I have gone for the free download of the standard - which will clearly last me

until November when the new X Box series will appear - and presumably - it will launch with the new sim 

This will allow me to keep using P3D with all my Orbx investments - and keep the ability to use the aircraft I have in my hangar already

Although my mid range PC meets the highest stated requirements for the PC - the new powerful X box series  - will be much more capable - as an "out of the box"

premier de luxe  sim console - and since I cannot see how one can install addons - (My Hangar) - into the X box unless MS come up with an equivalent Orbx Central -

this old bloke will continue with Games pass standard  on my PC

What I don't see in all that we have seen so far - is the ability to upgrade from standard to one of the other 2 qualities at a later date - whether in games pass or not

They have upgrade paths listed on the store page.

Welcome Anna,

As a real world pilot who flies primarily VFR, the previews of MSFS 2020 at low altitudes have been absolutely stunning with the application of the new technology. Congratulations Orbx with your new partnership! I can only imagine just how immersive the airport experience will be as Orbx adds their own flavour and imagination into this new generation of MSFS. Truly exciting! 

1 hour ago, orbmoke said:

Why waiting? If ypu are unsure, just get the XBox game pass for only $1for the first month. So you have one month to try and if you don't like MSFS you can cancel the game pass before the first month is over (the costs for the following months are only $ 4.75 anyway).

4 minutes ago, t3hb00t said:

This is great news!

I can't wait to see what's on the road-map, but I certainly hope some of my favourite Orbx destinations make the cut. (I'm looking at you, LOWI...)

LOWI is already included as handcrafted airport in MSFS. Maybe designed by Orbx.

7 minutes ago, KORDATC said:

Some small areas may be a bit better with TE, but the question arises is it enough to warrant the cost for what may be a very small upgrade?  Personally, for me, the answer is no.  The global scenery in MSFS is more than enough for me.  I’m interested in addon airports, additional POI, ai traffic (boats, cars, trains) etc.  

Notably, you can expect the whole world on a good photo imagery level including Asia or Africa where Orbx (or other developers, if that matters) have done little or nothing.  I for one like flying in Japan which never has seen any photo scenery treatment in previous sims. The same goes for China, Russia etc.

But I agree to addon airports, POIs, where there's room for improvement. Not sure about AI. MSFS comes with worldwide Real-Life traffic,  that's been shown in several videos, but at this point no one knows how good it will actually be in the Release Version. 

Kind regards, Michael

58 minutes ago, John Hargreaves said:

What if MSFS is full of generic autogen and TE has much more accurate buildings and thousands more POIs?

No, If you participate in the Alpha test you know it.

22 minutes ago, John Hargreaves said:

What if MSFS is full of generic autogen and TE has much more accurate buildings and thousands more POIs?

Have you ever bothered to watch any of the official MSFS preview videos or any of the videos made by alpha testers? I guess not.

4 hours ago, NeilG said:

Hello

I was just wondering how you planned to fit into the new sim. I have been alpha testing MSFS and the scenery is already very good. I was wondering how Orbx could bring further improvements to it.  Thank you

Neil

My two cents: Apart from the larger airports: POIs (distinct buildings like churches, bridges, lighthouses, castles), wind parks, masts, unofficial airstrips, maybe a better mesh.

29 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Hi Anna,

a belated welcome to the Orbx family. I'm a happy and proud member here since 2006 and like many of us, I own many if not most Orbx products for both P3D and XP11. I know John Venema from his first steps into the FS9 world. If you allow me to ask this question, if you are since Sept. 2019 the new CEO, what has happened to John?

Bernd all this is old news. A forum search will help. There is also info about this on the OrbxDirect site.

4 hours ago, annacico said:

We are considering special x-platform prices for current customers who have bought content for P3D and XP, which will also appear on MSFS. We haven't really decided anything yet, but the intention is to make it easy and affordable to use the same content across platforms. 

That´s good news.  I plan to fly both X-Plane and MSFS and I'd hate to have to try to figure out which platform to buy an airport for.  Orbx sceneries look absolutely stunning in X-Plane and are a huge upgrade to it.  I'm really looking forward to many more Orbx quality airports in both platforms.

I’d like to get excited by MSFS is sadly lacking VR or any helicopters . It’s a no buy from me and looks like it’s heading down the path of that helicopter hovercraft flight model in FSX . Very disappointed but all the Heli simmers saw it coming, so take your time with the MSFS 2020 releases and maybe port a few more Orbx sceneries to Aerofly as it has an industry leading helicopter flight model . 

1 minute ago, I8Orbx said:

I’d like to get excited by MSFS is sadly lacking VR or any helicopters . It’s a no buy from me and looks like it’s heading down the path of that helicopter hovercraft flight model in FSX . Very disappointed but all the Heli dinners saw it coming so take your time with the MSFS 2020 releases and maybe port a few more Orbx sceneries to Aerofly as it has an industry leading helicopter flight model . 

Fully agree. And low and slow some buildings and structures look like a bad dream.

But for others it is certainly perfect already. Geography, weather and flight dynamics look excellent so far. I think VR and choppers will come at some point for us too. Together with Orbx POIs, masts and wind farms things will look very good. But we're not there yet. I'll wait at least one more release.

20 minutes ago, flying_fish said:

Now that we have a month to prepare for the installation of MSFS does anyone know if it has to be installed on the C drive, or can it run from a separate drive?

Or ?? --- who will do the installation ? ?

Microsoft with a Central type programme ?? - suitable vendors - if any - ??

Did I read a deal between MS and Orbx for MS to sell Orbx new sim products

if so - will we see Orbx using Central to install the sim ??

1 hour ago, KORDATC said:

This is truly a VFR simulator.  People are going to be flying low/slow over their hometowns and over the many wonders of the World. 

Trust me, I'm not going to fly low and slow anywhere. Maybe once over my hometown which I know since I was born, and then to something more glorious.

Archived