Orbx and Microsoft Flight Simulator

Hi all

Just by way of intro, I have been Orbx’s CEO since September 2019, and I am based in Australia. I have not actively participated in the forums so far, limiting myself to reading the diverse and eclectic views of simmers and industry players, but the recent announcement of MS Flight Simulator launch calls for a view on where Orbx sits in all this, so I am breaking the ice.

Firstly, at Orbx we are thrilled to see that the new MS Flight Simulator will launch in August. Like the rest of the community, we are very impressed with what we have seen so far in Microsoft's next gen of Flight Simulator. 

We’ve been waiting for some time for a date to lock down our product roadmap on this new platform. So this is it!

I am very happy to say that Orbx is producing content for FS, and are excited to be able to deliver our world class products on this new platform, both through MS marketplace and our own channel, OrbxDirect.

Our roadmap continues to include high quality content for XP, P3D and Aerofly FS (when possible), and we will continue to support these platforms. We have some real gems in store, and of course we continue to support our partners and industry friends - specifically this month through #FlyJuly.

Overall, we hope to see new users take up simming with the new FS as well as take our current simmers on a journey of discovery, with AAA content!

I am keeping this topic open for questions or clarifications. 

Looking forward to expanding our (collective) horizons!

Cheers,

Anna

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna ----  G'Day

That's the news that 1000's of Orbx customers have been waiting for since June last year

and is an almighty relief to know that Orbx will be with us in the new sim - and Our Orbx relationships 

in P3D and XP will be able to continue and grow.

As an ex marketing man myself - might I suggest an E-mail repeat of your remarks - to reach your dedicated

list of normal recipients.

2 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Anna ----  G'Day

That's the news that 1000's of Orbx customers have been waiting for since June last year

and is an almighty relief to know that Orbx will be with us in the new sim - and Our Orbx relationships 

in P3D and XP will be able to continue and grow.

As an ex marketing man myself - might I suggest an E-mail repeat of your remarks - to reach your dedicated

list of normal recipients.

Good idea!

We are posting a few repeats on FB and Twitter but we'll go on email too.

Cheers! 

Hello

I was just wondering how you planned to fit into the new sim. I have been alpha testing MSFS and the scenery is already very good. I was wondering how Orbx could bring further improvements to it.  Thank you

Neil

Anna, I don't know if the NDA allows you to answer the following. Anyway, has Orbx already been involved in the making of MSFS 2020, e. g. in creating some of the hand crafted default  airports which come with the new sim?

Hi Anna, great to have you here on the forum.

I have been in the MSFS Alpha since early days and, without going into detail, I am going to fully embrace the new platform. 

Can you tell us a bit about the product range Orbx intends to offer? To begin with, there will be certainly a number of small airports and regional hubs where Orbx has a tradition and MSFS leaves work to be done. But will there be other product types beyond this?

Kind regards, Michael

I don't expect a business to hand out free products for a next gen sim (Many of us have 1TB plus of Orbx addons) but I know Orbx Central does discounts based on existing purchases so I'd hope the loyalty is rewarded in some way.

We are considering special x-platform prices for current customers who have bought content for P3D and XP, which will also appear on MSFS. We haven't really decided anything yet, but the intention is to make it easy and affordable to use the same content across platforms. 

27 minutes ago, pmb said:

Hi Anna, great to have you here on the forum.

I have been in the MSFS Alpha since early days and, without going into detail, I am going to fully embrace the new platform. 

Can you tell us a bit about the product range Orbx intends to offer? To begin with, there will be certainly a number of small airports and regional hubs where Orbx has a tradition and MSFS leaves work to be done. But will there be other product types beyond this?

Kind regards, Michael

We are starting with airports, but we have a range of ideas.... :-) 

The big question for me is, do I jump straight in and buy MSFS 2020 on 18/8 or do I wait for some key questions to be answered, the most important being will all my investment in Orbx and other addons be a total write-off or will there be some incentive to start afresh. Being very cautious, I will probably hold off and then capitulate on 19/8. Seriously, provided MSFS 2020 is as good as initial reviews suggest, I suspect I will take a deep breath and jump right in. Then comes the new, more powerful computer ......!

41 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Anna, I don't know if the NDA allows you to answer the following. Anyway, has Orbx already been involved in the making of MSFS 2020, e. g. in creating some of the hand crafted default  airports which come with the new sim?

Our efforts are focused on bringing some top notch airports across and producing new content too. The sim is already very good, as we know,  but there is room to making custom content which is our favourite swim lane ;-) 

11 minutes ago, annacico said:

We are considering special x-platform prices for current customers who have bought content for P3D and XP, which will also appear on MSFS. We haven't really decided anything yet, but the intention is to make it easy and affordable to use the same content across platforms. 

Thanks, this is great news and will certainbly buy the new platform more followers.

Kind regards, Michael

10 minutes ago, ianmu said:

The big question for me is, do I jump straight in and buy MSFS 2020 on 18/8 or do I wait for some key questions to be answered, the most important being will all my investment in Orbx and other addons be a total write-off or will there be some incentive to start afresh. Being very cautious, I will probably hold off and then capitulate on 19/8. Seriously, provided MSFS 2020 is as good as initial reviews suggest, I suspect I will take a deep breath and jump right in. Then comes the new, more powerful computer ......!

Makes sense just to opt for the Xbox game pass trial for a month to try it out then decide if you want to go all in. 

6 minutes ago, ianmu said:

MSFS (the standard edition) will be available as part of the Xbox Game Pass. They have an introductory price of $1 for the first month (then a recurring $4.95). If you don't like it, you can cancel before the month is up and would have only spent $1. Probably best to subscribe closer to release, as it's still over one month until MSFS' release date.

15 minutes ago, annacico said:

Hello Anna,
thanks! This is a great news for me, because now I know that I can buy sceneries for P3D and have a chance to use them into FS2020 without spend full price again. (for those sceneries that will appear into the new sim).

I think your policy will be much appreciated by all of us!

Best regards, Massimo

1 minute ago, A320Wolf said:

Hello Anna,
thanks! This is a great news for me, because now I know that I can buy sceneries for P3D and have a chance to use them into FS2020 without spend full price again. (for those sceneries that will appear into the new sim).

I think your policy will be much appreciated by all of us!

Best regards, Massimo

Benissimo. Sempre bello accontentare i nostri utenti! :-) (from your name, Massimo, I'm indulging in believing you speak Italian!) 

12 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

MSFS (the standard edition) will be available as part of the Xbox Game Pass. They have an introductory price of $1 for the first month (then a recurring $4.95). If you don't like it, you can cancel before the month is up and would have only spent $1. Probably best to subscribe closer to release, as it's still over one month until MSFS' release date.

Not being familiar with X Box and not having an X Box or its controller, can you use the PC with the X Box Game Pass to check out the new sim?

13 minutes ago, Donka said:

Makes sense just to opt for the Xbox game pass trial for a month to try it out the decide if you want to go all in. 

That was my plan as an existing game pass subscriber. It lasted all of four hours before I just bought the Premium Deluxe. So, yeah...

So eager and enthusiast about this new sim; of course I'll buy straight the Premium edition, just to get the max airports and airplaners offer. So far, it's seems too beautiful to be true! And very glad to know that Orbx is onboard, since I got lots of your add-ons.

Fulvio

Thank you for the timely Orbx MSFS announcement,

Eagerly await some more details before the official MSFS release date,

It is not yet Beta, however, Orbx pricing policies for existing Orbx users will be most welcome. Will help us with future purchasing decisions

Cheers

If I uninstall all my Orbx addon sceneries and airports and also uninstall X-Plane 11 to make room on my hard drives in my PC for the soon-to-be-released MSFS 2020 and its forthcoming airport addons, will that be good enough to give me space on the drives, or will I also need to DELETE X-Plane 11 and the Orbx sceneries as well as uninstall them?

If I do uninstall AND delete these, does that mean that I will need to pay for them again if I ever wish to re-download and re-install X-Plane 11 and the Orbx sceneries ever again? Not that I would do that, but it's nice to have the option there just in case.

50 minutes ago, Dr_Watson said:

Please make some discount, if not, let me know ASAP, divorce papers take time and I need to prepare them!

Be careful, divorces can become very expensive.

1 hour ago, annacico said:

Our efforts are focused on bringing some top notch airports across and producing new content too. The sim is already very good, as we know,  but there is room to making custom content which is our favourite swim lane ;-) 

Got The Email after dinner:rolleyes:

---and speaking of airports ex Orbx - am I the only one who has noticed that apart from Sydney - the list 

was bereft of any others in Australia - and just one in the Shaky Isles

Back to the future for Orbx ca 2008 - and Oceana

20 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

If I uninstall all my Orbx addon sceneries and airports and also uninstall X-Plane 11 to make room on my hard drives in my PC for the soon-to-be-released MSFS 2020 and its forthcoming airport addons, will that be good enough to give me space on the drives, or will I also need to DELETE X-Plane 11 and the Orbx sceneries as well as uninstall them?

If I do uninstall AND delete these, does that mean that I will need to pay for them again if I ever wish to re-download and re-install X-Plane 11 and the Orbx sceneries ever again? Not that I would do that, but it's nice to have the option there just in case.

You will need 136 GB's of room...but I would not un-install anything...rather..go out and buy another hard disk!

18 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

Hi,

Your products purchased at Orbx will remain in your OrbxDirect Account.

Archived