I should have been a vet

Had an emergency at the weekend our dog - one of them, Stella, threw up eight times in   45 minutes, so a rush to the vet - turns out she had a twisted intestine and we could have lost her had we not acted quickly, so surgery and a stay at the vet to recover. We brought her home today, she still has a way to go but she's going to be fine  - but not our bank account, it's now minus $900. Don't care though, we would have paid twice that to get her better.:smile: She's a beautiful big Bassett girl (37 kg) LOL, and we love her lots.

Don 

Stella Bassett 2.JPG

Glad she is OK. My daughter's bassett had the same problem on Monday.  In his case, he was 17-yars-old, the vet told her that he was very unlikely to survive the surgery, so she made the hard decision to put him down.  We all miss the ol' boy.

So happy to hear that your lovely Bassett is on the mend, despite the cost. We love our pets, and they are family as others have said. I have spent untold amounts of money on my pets health and well being, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Again, great to hear she is going to be fine :) 

12 hours ago, W2DR said:

Money well spent. After all, she's part of the family. And a good looking part too. 37kg...wow.

Thanks mate, and yes I don't pick her up too often, her mate is a bit lighter at 27kg, but still a bit of an effort for me.

Don

8 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

Glad she is OK. My daughter's bassett had the same problem on Monday.  In his case, he was 17-yars-old, the vet told her that he was very unlikely to survive the surgery, so she made the hard decision to put him down.  We all miss the ol' boy.

Thanks Doc. She is only five, so has a long life ahead of her everything going well. I feel for you and your daughters pain when having to put a pet to sleep. I did that    two years ago with our Cavilier King Charles Jackson, we had him from a puppy and enjoyed his company for 14 years, same story as with your Bassett enlarged heart and kidney failure. Vet said it would have cruel to try and save him. Even though we have the three beautiful dogs, I still miss him.

Don

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

... and as we see, she has made a good selection of a resting place. Hopefully with the food supplier in sight?

Mate it's a first in best dressed at our place. After dinner at night, it's a race to the lounge room for a seat. Three dogs some cats and a wife, not much left for me.:D She's an eating machine, almost inhales her food, but not right now of course, she's on a strict diet and small meals.

Don

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

So happy to hear that your lovely Bassett is on the mend, despite the cost. We love our pets, and they are family as others have said. I have spent untold amounts of money on my pets health and well being, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Again, great to hear she is going to be fine :) 

Thanks Sniper, it was touch and go, but all worked out well in the end, and it's nice we both have the same concern for the well being of her pets.

Don

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Great to hear that your quick thinking saved the day Don.

After all our pets rely on us for so much.

Money well spent.:)

G'day Martyn, thanks for your nice comments. We have lost a couple in the past, and it just rips your heart out when they go, so at the first sign of anything we think serious, we race them to the vet. And yes they do rely on us for their well being, as if they get sick they have no idea why, so we have to do what we have to do to make them well again, no matter the cost, - even with Xmas sales looming.:lol:

Don

Beautiful Stella, I am a dog lover myself, part of the family, I just lost my older one, cancer at 8yo. I also paid a lot at the vet trying to understand what she had... sadly it was to late.
I miss her a lot and it's only been 3 weeks. Give her all the love she need.

Rest in peace Maya

TOju66c.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

here is another who was claimed by cancer at only eight years old.

So sorry Nick, Leo was looking playful. I feel the same way, Maya still should be with me... But noting we can do. I hate cancer.

On a better note, after 6 days of feeling some emptiness in the house I got another one, NOT to replace my beloved Maya but everything was strange in the house... no more energy, my 2 others dog where strange.

So I present to you Yoko... a  little Border Collie, 2.5 months old.

I hope to put a smile on your face
Ben

ugkOoeJ.jpg

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Beautiful Stella, I am a dog lover myself, part of the family, I just lost my older one, cancer at 8yo. I also paid a lot at the vet trying to understand what she had... sadly it was to late.
I miss her a lot and it's only been 3 weeks. Give her all the love she need.

Rest in peace Maya

TOju66c.jpg

Brought a lump to my throat Benny, it will take some time for you to get over that. We had a Cav we lost a couple of years ago, and I still miss him, even though we have three dogs to fill that void, each one is special and has its own spot in your heart.

Don

Archived