It´s raining again

Stillwater

Qantas flight QF1709 was getting ready in Cairns.

wgs5MNv.jpg

4YcyF12.jpg

Severe rain this season in the lowlands, ...

RlxbaJT.jpg

... resulting in a foggy, partially even blind takeoff.

1xJEspT.jpg

fxsC1Lt.jpg

But the Queensland coast was clear on the way south.

v7naLSc.jpg

r5NF6s9.jpg

NuMHT3Z.jpg

Unfortunately the clouds came back as we descended, so it was difficult to spot Fraser Island in the background (under the 320´s belly).

13SDUwg.jpg

In this case the weather radar was of no big use.

DtOXDb0.jpg

6372eZE.jpg

gzVWEq4.jpg

But some visibility was left, Brisbane showed up!

G917eQ8.jpg

Archerfield airbase was part of the approach procedure...

AyEcgJk.jpg

... before we turned over Brisbane River...

S7CnbXa.jpg

... and along the CBD.

ELZKyfj.jpg

Some of our fellow simmers would probably modify the approach and fly under the M1 bridge?

ApZV75S.jpg

I did the conventional way. In FSX YBBN always turned into a slideshow on my computer, even when flying GA. P3dv4 makes it work much better, though still demanding (with the given weather and my standard AI setting just above the 10 FPS mark).

dZLK9OG.jpg

Even worse: Still raining at the Queensland coast. Better stay inside today!

RipY4ev.jpg

35 minutes ago, mikee said:

Wonderful Shots Gerold  :)

My pleasure, Mikee!

1 minute ago, flyingleaf said:

A+ indeed Gerold. Nice "dustless":D trip. 

You are right Karl: No chance for dust flying around with this liquid stuff coming from above :D.

1 hour ago, BradB said:

I wish I was there , snowing hard outside the window today . More outstanding shots from Cairns Gerold  , you are on a roll !! .

Cheers

John

Uh, heavy snow looks good for Christmas, but should be no fun in case you need to keep the road clear.

1 hour ago, BradB said:

I wish I was there

"Wish you were here" is what we need to sing now...

43 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Famous last words Gerold and another excellent jaunt from the east coast.

No chance of rain down here though and a very hot week ahead.

Thanks for your comment, Martyn. Why don´t you come over to cOLD EUROPE in case you need more refreshing Christmas?

1 hour ago, jankees said:

Nice shots!

Thank you Jankees!

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent flight and narrative and yes, I'd have gone for the bridge, they're like magnets to me! :D

I was indeed thinking of you when I made this comment... and there is nothing bad I can see in your magnetism :rollmyeyes:!

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Splendid set of shots Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam. Have a merry Christmas!

5 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. A little rain here and a  little rain there. Meanwhile Stillwater sails on producing another great set of screenshots. Thanks!

Thank you Rodger. From what i read here your home does currently have rain in a solid state? Well, that would be perfect weather for a quiet Christmas...

A+ Gerold.

I really enjoyed the story and in many of the shots , you managed to really convey the Australian climate perfectly e.g. it might be wet, but its still warm.

A brilliant job sir!

Thanks so much for doing this -- its very cold here today and just seeing this made me warm right up :D

Cheers and have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019!

R

47 minutes ago, renault said:

A+ Gerold.

I really enjoyed the story and in many of the shots , you managed to really convey the Australian climate perfectly e.g. it might be wet, but its still warm.

A brilliant job sir!

Thanks so much for doing this -- its very cold here today and just seeing this made me warm right up :D

Cheers and have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019!

R

Thank you very much for your comment, Renault. I like to fly with real weather - partly because of the challenge, partly to learn how it looks inthat area of the world.

We´ve got about 5°C and dry weather here today, quite pleasant.

Merry Christmas to you as well, Renault!

A great series you have here Gerold!

Each photo links together nicely to tell a story and the perspectives keeps each one dynamic and interesting.

Nicely done with a challenging aircraft, departure/approach procedures and weather to boot :D

Ben

17 hours ago, Ben77 said:

A great series you have here Gerold!

Each photo links together nicely to tell a story and the perspectives keeps each one dynamic and interesting.

Nicely done with a challenging aircraft, departure/approach procedures and weather to boot :D

Ben

Thank you for your comments, Ben.

The departure I did manually until approx. 2500 ft altitude, to be able avoiding the mountains quickly. If you switch on the autopilot too early you might get in trouble with this plane...

The approach was o. k., full ILS support and the altitude was low enough to capture the glideslope without trouble. The major problem is my ATC chosing a transition that the airac of the airbus does not know, so I had to program it "on the fly", literally.

37 minutes ago, RichardLouis said:

A nice series Gerold.

Richard

Thank you Richard. I hope you can relax a bit over Christmas!

7 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Gerold. Great sense of the journey here. I'm just sitting and looking out the window and thinking of things past and things to come and baggage carousels I have known. Thanks!

Thanks Rodger. This virtual journey will continue soon. Thinking of baggage carousels is a nice suggestion. Who has ever made a (global) collection of carousel pictures? I would not expect these depicted in a sim, anyway. And, unfortunately (or fortunately?), I travel with hand luggage only in most cases... :rollmyeyes:

47 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

I'm surprised I didn't comment on this one, I had seen it before! Awesome flight Gerold with no less awesome weather! Cheers!

Thank you for watching & commenting Lars. Hope you had a relaxed Christmas?

I´ll look for better weather, at least for touristic purposes.

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you for watching & commenting Lars. Hope you had a relaxed Christmas?

I´ll look for better weather, at least for touristic purposes.

Thanks, my Christmas was very relaxed between noon of the 24th and the 26th. It hope yours was even more relaxed! :D

The rain gave it a nice touch.

Archived