I Just Can't Do It..........

Triplane

I've been flying P3Dv4 since its release. But.....I can't convince myself to uninstall FSX. After all these years with who-knows-how-many-dollars-spent-on-addons I just can't do it. Am I the only one?.............................Doug

Uninstalled FSX:SE shortly after installing v4 and haven't looked back.  Only thing I'll miss is knowing the hours I spent playing.  Steam would track it.  I ended at 1,272 hours after only a couple of years!

8 hours ago, mglan80 said:

Only thing I'll miss is knowing the hours I spent playing.  Steam would track it.  I ended at 1,272 hours after only a couple of years!

I think its best not to know... when you consider that is 53 whole days, or exculding sleeping time more like 80 whole days.... yeah I'd rather not think about it :lol:

As for keeping FSX.... if you don't need the space and still use it, then keep it. For a long time I ran both and kept FSX as a platform for my old photoscenery, so it was something very different to P3D with FTX only.  Now I run P3Dv4 as my primary sim and do a bit of fiddling with XP, and I'll get AF-2 as some point... there is nothing wrong with multiple platforms.

Hello Derek,

P3D is a development of FSX by Lockheed Martin.

Yes, you can replace FSX with it, they are totally independent of one another.

However, if you choose to buy P3Dv4, be aware that some of your addons

will either not yet work with it, or if they are very old, may never work with it.

I still fly in FSX as well as P3DV4.  FSX looks crisper and the colours are more muted.  For Australian scenery in particular I prefer the look of FSX.

However, the smoothness of P3DV4 in dense areas and autogen out to the horizon is hard to drag myself away from.

So, basically, if I'm doing any flying around urban areas, its P3DV4, if I'm doing a cross country from town to town I often prefer FSX.

Don't laugh, I also have my FS2004 active :-)  One to three times a month I fly with some good oldies (eg Boeing Clipper).

FSX was replaced by P3d v3 and I will keep it. P3d v4 will be the future.

...two month ago I started my old 3Dfx/DOS machine and make a fight in Navy-Fighter :-)

regards

On my new clean install, no FSX... but I miss it for some of my favorite plane but mostly my helicopter... Cerasim it is.

I had V4 when it came out but only used it an hour or so. I will wait that most third party join it.

I also think that FSX as better color.. but hey, that should be fixed on V4. 

That said, all my sim time now (and it's not a lot because it's summer here) is spent on Aerofly FS2. It's the most fun I eve had on a sim ever.

Simple, fast, smooth and beautiful. For VFR, nothing beat it

Ben

5 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

I think its best not to know... when you consider that is 53 whole days, or exculding sleeping time more like 80 whole days.... yeah I'd rather not think about it :lol:

As for keeping FSX.... if you don't need the space and still use it, then keep it. For a long time I ran both and kept FSX as a platform for my old photoscenery, so it was something very different to P3D with FTX only.  Now I run P3Dv4 as my primary sim and do a bit of fiddling with XP, and I'll get AF-2 as some point... there is nothing wrong with multiple platforms.

My God...  I wish you hadn't done the math!

I won't be deleting my FSX. I've been flying FS for so many years that I like to keep older versions running. There I will keep my old PMDG MD11, for example. I still have an older PC with FS9 installed where I sometimes go to visit Emma Field (KEWL) and the old Georender sceneries and another Golden Wings install as well where I fly the Boeing 314. But I can't wait to fly my orbx airports in V4. 

3 hours ago, mglan80 said:

My God...  I wish you hadn't done the math!

Ha-ha, sorry :P .... I played a few hundred hours of Skyrim and was shocked when I realised how many days it totalled. Not that there is anything wrong with doing any of this stuff, but when I look at the numbers I really feel like I should be doing something more worthwhile with that time... I have no idea how long I've spent on FS over the years, and I don't want too :unsure:

Counseling.....maybe that would help.....now, where did put my meds?

I almost wish I hadn't done this. But.....I counted how much payware aircraft and scenery stuff I have for FSX.....Aircraft = 253 and Scenery = 336. No wonder I can't bring myself to delete it. I suppose a lot of this stuff will work in P3Dv4 (sorta) but I just don't have the time or the desire to find out. So, for now at least, FSX is alive and well here.....Doug

Fancy new ideas indeed. My son still has my Bell & Howell black Apple II from 1983 running subLOGIC's FSII. What a hoot that was. I'd hate to have to go back to those days. Compared to that everything looks good..............Doug

8 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Ha-ha, sorry :P .... I played a few hundred hours of Skyrim and was shocked when I realised how many days it totalled. Not that there is anything wrong with doing any of this stuff, but when I look at the numbers I really feel like I should be doing something more worthwhile with that time... I have no idea how long I've spent on FS over the years, and I don't want too :unsure:

Hey come on you guy's simming is time "well wasted". Lol:D

I too have removed FSX and replaced it with V3 simply because it wasn't needed anymore.  V3 will do everything FSX does and do it better.

Even though V4 is now my platform of choice I will keep V3 on my machine to fly my legacy aircraft.

I am sure that someday one of our bright developers will release software to convert the 32 bit aircraft to 64 bit.

Once that happens, goodbye V3 and your OOM trap.

Dale

Hey Doug,

I retired FSX the day P3Dv1 hit the market...The reason, LM has a lot of resources to improve the product and Microsoft abandoned the software.  In the world of computers even the newest and greatest will be obsolete shortly, and software is not far behind.  Now then I only have ORBX scenery, so I am not loosing anything.  I had some payware airplanes but not many and most come over just fine.  Until p3dv3.4 most things worked quite well but as expected, the sim would advance beyond older software.  Now I only fly in a restricted area with only GA airplanes and I fly without GPS and Autopilot.....not much fun pushing buttons and watching the airplane fly itself.....So I keep moving forward.  ORBX is still working and all of will shortly, yes I will loose a few older airplanes, but I can live with that, and the improvement is obvious.  I continue to upgrade both my computer and my software.....I have tried them all and my conclusion is that P3Dv4 is the most pilot realistic simulation available. YMMV.  I am about to remove v3.4.  For some, the improvements to the computer, and the software may be to expensive, if you enjoy what you have, wonderful. If you want to improve the computer and the software....the future it here.

Cheers,

Henry

I'd uninstall FSX today, already uninstalled all the Orbx stuff from FSX but I don't want it to mess up 3.4 which I intend to keep flying till I get my GTN750.  I don't know for sure that if I uninstall FSX it might somehow break something in 3.4.  It's on its own SSD with FreemeshX, happily minding its own business though so it's not like I need the SSD space.  But, if I could do it without messing up 3.4 I could use that space for Areofly's FS.

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I'd uninstall FSX today, already uninstalled all the Orbx stuff from FSX but I don't want it to mess up 3.4 which I intend to keep flying till I get my GTN750.  I don't know for sure that if I uninstall FSX it might somehow break something in 3.4.  It's on its own SSD with FreemeshX, happily minding its own business though so it's not like I need the SSD space.  But, if I could do it without messing up 3.4 I could use that space for Areofly's FS.

There is absolutely no connection between your FSX and P3D installations.  If you want to verify this, cut and paste all the root level files from your FSX folder (which includes FSX.exe) to another folder somewhere on your computer.  Try to start FSX.  You should get a program not found warning and no FSX.  Then start P3D.  It will start just as happily as it always has.   To get FSX back after this test simply cut and paste them back into your FSX folder.

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

There is absolutely no connection between your FSX and P3D installations.  If you want to verify this, cut and paste all the root level files from your FSX folder (which includes FSX.exe) to another folder somewhere on your computer.  Try to start FSX.  You should get a program not found warning and no FSX.  Then start P3D.  It will start just as happily as it always has.   To get FSX back after this test simply cut and paste them back into your FSX folder.

Hi John, but what about planes and other add-ons like the GTN750 or stuff like that?  No link whatsoever?  I'm gonna have to try this as I haven't run FSX in a dogs age.

I was committed to keeping FSX and P3Dv4 both.  After just two weeks, I was so impressed with the new sim that FSX was not important anymore.  The uninstalling of FSX can be a bit dicey when you have two sims installed.  The add/remove programs in control panel doesn't spell out from what simulator it's uninstalling from, so proceed cautiously when that day comes.

22 minutes ago, curt1 said:

I was committed to keeping FSX and P3Dv4 both.  After just two weeks, I was so impressed with the new sim that FSX was not important anymore.  The uninstalling of FSX can be a bit dicey when you have two sims installed.  The add/remove programs in control panel doesn't spell out from what simulator it's uninstalling from, so proceed cautiously when that day comes.

That's what makes me nervous.  I'm creating an Acronis backup after I found a document I saved about doing just this.  It mentions uninstalling a lot of stuff with the Control Panel first but what?  A lot of them are for both FSX and P3D.  It goes on to say it could ruin add-ons in P3D.

So I though the first thing I would do after the backup was to rename the FSX main folder and launch both P3D's and see what happens.

Then maybe move it to a different drive and see what happens.

It talks about deleting all FSX entries in the registry but which ones?  I have CC cleaner.

I need to tread lightly here.

39 minutes ago, curt1 said:

Not sure what add-ons you have/are talking about, but all of mine CLEARLY say FSX or P3D...

Archived