12 hours ago, DesertPilot said:

And for those who are unable or unwilling to use credit cards, Steam does accept Paypal payments. Furthermore, for US customers, Steam takes payments in USD.

I personally plan to buy the Orbx addons for AFS2 via Steam, mainly for ease of installation, etc.

And of course, I'll be purchasing on Day 1 of availability, the upcoming Orbx addons for AFS2. :D

+ 1 on the first hour of release...

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

Two things come to mind to me on a personal level

1. The amount of HDD space going to be required if for example the current trend is anything to go by, will be enormous in comparison to the current requirements for P3D/FSX. As JV commented on, a FTX Region in Photoreal could easily be 100+ GB. My current NA Orbx folder has 6 regions and 20 odd airports using just over 60 GB. A small portion of SW USA in FS2 is using 50+GB and that is without any autogen/buildings etc.

2. Downloading addons of such GB magnitude is no problem for those of you who enjoy Fibre or other high speed internet connections, but there are many who don't have that facility. FS 2 plus 2 DLCs took me over 2.5 days to download. I then had to download the free HiRes DLC which took me another 2.5 days. In 5 days I managed to play for 3 hours because Steam would not allow me to play FS2 while downloading a DLC ( a problem to which i found no resolution to when enquiring on various support forums) So potentially one FTX Region could take me 5 days to download and during that period, not be able to fly in FS2.

I enjoy FS2 because it offers me the speed of 64 bit in terms of loading times, fluidity and the photoscenery but it is not loading anything like the amount of data that my P3D is currently dealing with. 99% of the FS2 data is photos.

Because of the issues I have I will probably keep FS2 as it is now and use it on occasions when I want to have a quick fly.

I am not knocking FS2 or claiming P3D is better or anything of the sort so please don't start suggesting that I am. What I am voicing is that there are different aspects to be looked at if one is considering enjoying the sim to it's full potential, and some of those aspects have a slight downside to some of us.

You bring up valid points, that not everybody has high-speed.  I wonder, if being that you need to run STEAM, to fly this sim, could then Orbx not release DVD's (as many as are required to host the entire region) as an option for those with limited bandwidth speed...again, with knowing that you still need STEAM running to make use of the scnery?

That would supply the DRM to Orbx. Orbx could also work with STEAM to have those discs in a STEAM encryption, so the files could not be stolen, and used in other projects, or rip-offs.  I wonder, if this could address your concerns?

15 hours ago, John Venema said:

If we make a 100GB photoreal region with every building, POI, tree placed and airport upgraded......

IF that happens: At that time my card will be ready.

Quote from Avsim (Aerofly forum):

I rather have DETAILED regions (so no flat spots on the (high res) photoreal where buildings or trees should be) than (very) detailed airports. The thing is, I almost always fly from A to B and so I spend most of my time in between A and B and so those area's are more important to me. I only see A and B for a rather short.

100% agree! 

I'll be another to back Regions as apposed to individual Airports. As great as detailed airports are, I'm happier with a wider spread of detail that'll add interest to VFR flights. If availability of FTX regions echoes those of FSX/P3D, will end up purchasing England, Scotland and Wales. Photo-realistic versions of these areas would be great :) 

For my use, I would prefer to see addon airports that come with huge coverage areas released first, then regions and then smaller foot print airports. The reason why is that once above say 3000'AGL Photoreal looks great and its very hard to see the difference between 2D and 3D houses/buildings.  So by having airports like KTEX, KSFF...well basically anything from Jarrad and the likes, I have time to climb to altitude on departure and arrive into an airport without the immersive break in lack of 3D objects.

In theory I wouldnt even care for regions but more like city scapes as the regions are already there minus buildings but vegetation is so...  Creating more of expanded areas around airports let them be addon or default is all that I would really care for and doing so would keep my storage space down.  that is by looking at AF2 as more of a focus area/field type flying program than an actual sim.

1 hour ago, FILOU said:

http://en.pimaxvr.com/

4K and 8k in each eye...

Buyer beware on that one. I've been taking a really close look at this in the last few weeks with an eye towards maybe grabbing one, and while quick previews looked promising, detailed reviews from larger review outlets show possibly show-stopping issues. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/27/4k-vr-headset/

On 07/01/2017 at 7:09 PM, mikced76 said:

Anyway, what I would like to know not owning VR equipment from either of the two competing brands HTC and the Oculus Rift (or from any other developer for that matter). Which one is the better? and as always in the tech industry it moves moves so fast, already rumors of a HTC Vive v 2. Time to buy or hold out a lttle longer?

At the moment, VR is far from perfect, I'd say if compared to FSX development it's at about FS98.

Thing is I loved all versions of flight sim, people supported it and it grew.

Life is too short and at what stage do I say, YES this is where I jump on board, there is always a better version of everything just around the corner. For me I'm in from day 1, the rift suits my needs, I got mine on eBay at a very good price and wish I had 2 headsets  so I could put the second on my grandson and take him for a fly, it's all about immersion and the feeling of flight, you go a loop in the Corsair and look up and watch the earth sliding past in 360 deg 3D, it feels real, I have owned two aircraft and flown river runs, herded goats, dropped flour bombs, landed on beaches,paddocks and I ca tell you this VR is as close as you'll get to the real thing. If your more into programming a flight computer then this not for you. I don't need a weather engine to make things feel more real, when I fly through these VR clouds I feel like I'm actually inside them. Nothing can beat FS2 cockpits, I can sit in them for ever, every scratch every nut ,screw or knob looks real, I'm inside this aircraft, I turn my head and it tracks perfectly, I've even started walking back down to the tail section, if my room was big enough I'd do a complete walk around, only wish I had virtual hands to lovingly touch this beautiful plane.

i can't wait for this technology to bet even better and I will jump on board, but I'll bet nothing will have as big an impact as this first experience.

You will only know by giving it a go.

prediction, more pilots will migrate from tubliners to low level an aerobatics, try flying under a bridge in VR, the depth perception will improve your approach and landings, judging distance in 2D is impossible.

cheers

Ken

I have both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and IMHO the Rift is better for flight sim, slightly crisper visuals and with prescription lens inserts, much more comfortable to wear.

IPACS are waiting on their Oculus Touch units to arrive so we'll eventually be able to interact with those lovely cockpits by touch.

Hi John been following and now am very intrigued by what Ken said.

Is there a minimum hardware requirement for these things?  

I have a 4 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Jetline Hellfire GT2 PC

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Pro, Intel LGA 1150 mobo

i7 4790 Quad Core 4.66 GHz

Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid Cooling

8 GB Trident X DDR3 SDRAM 2133 MHz

A hopefully helpful close look at the sim. In looking at video reviews out there now, I find that most people are hampered by years of familiarity with other sims, and lack of familiarity with Aerofly FS 2, leading to a lot of fumbling around, a bit of impatience, and some missed chances to carefully explore whats available. I'm waiting eagerly waiting for a tutorial showing in depth how the current early access systems are intended to be used by the developers.

In the meanwhile, this is a fairly good review.

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

I have both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and IMHO the Rift is better for flight sim, slightly crisper visuals and with prescription lens inserts, much more comfortable to wear.

IPACS are waiting on their Oculus Touch units to arrive so we'll eventually be able to interact with those lovely cockpits by touch.

You already can with leap motion. 

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi John been following and now am very intrigued by what Ken said.

Is there a minimum hardware requirement for these things?  

I have a 4 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Jetline Hellfire GT2 PC

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Pro, Intel LGA 1150 mobo

i7 4790 Quad Core 4.66 GHz

Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid Cooling

8 GB Trident X DDR3 SDRAM 2133 MHz

that should work ok Jack maybe get a 1080 but not necessary.

For me I'm in from day 1, the rift suits my needs, I got mine on eBay at a very good price and wish I had 2 headsets  so I could put the second on my grandson and take him for a fly

Hey Ken,

You might want to try this.  Fly the plane using the mirror screen on the PC and have your grandson use the headset.  It certainly offers some piloting challenges as you no longer control the view but it might give you the opportunity to share this with your grandson.  I did this just recently with my girl friend and KAVX and KBID and she really enjoyed it and said "I can see why you like it so much".  I did this with the vive so I could take advantage of the room scale side of things by just recentering the view once she was sitting in her chair  next to my pit.   You could probably do something similar with the rift though you may need to work with the sensors a bit.

Alternatively, another person suggested recording a flight using the in flight recorder and then let your grandson experience your flight.  You could still tell him to look to the left or the right to see what you want him to see.

Jack,

I've got the same spec system as you except that my card is a 980ti.  I can honestly say that what you have is fine for FS2.  I'm having a ball with framerates set to 120 fps and sliders maxed.  No judders and crystal clear cockpits - way clearer than P3D comparatively speaking of course.  I guess that, as FS2 progresses and Orbx scenery is added with ATC etc down the line, a faster system will be needed.  But for now, mine is delivering very well in FS2.  By the way, with Flyinside and P3D, my system runs constantly at 90-94 fps which makes low VFR flying a joy with the Oculus Rift.

Kev

9 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

that should work ok Jack maybe get a 1080 but not necessary.

Thanks Ken, but when I went to look at prices of a Rift I almost fainted!  Not in my immediate future.  I wish.

1 hour ago, Torchy821 said:

Jack,

I've got the same spec system as you except that my card is a 980ti.  I can honestly say that what you have is fine for FS2.  I'm having a ball with framerates set to 120 fps and sliders maxed.  No judders and crystal clear cockpits - way clearer than P3D comparatively speaking of course.  I guess that, as FS2 progresses and Orbx scenery is added with ATC etc down the line, a faster system will be needed.  But for now, mine is delivering very well in FS2.  By the way, with Flyinside and P3D, my system runs constantly at 90-94 fps which makes low VFR flying a joy with the Oculus Rift.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I hope I win the lottery tonight.  That's about the only way I could afford one of these $$$$$$ devices.

On 7 januari 2017 at 9:56 PM, John Venema said:

If we make a 100GB photoreal region with every building, POI, tree placed and airport upgraded

Well, this sentence got me really excited. My biggest problem with AFS2 right now is the lack of 3D stuff and the bad placement of it. Apart from a few very small spots the entire AFS2 world (I am talking about the so called detailed regions here) shows no buildings at all, only flat photoreal with trees put randomly on top of it. What AFS2 needs is exactly what you said here! Airport addons are nice too, of course, but then you'd still have to fly over an empty world: a city without 3D buildings on it simply doesn't look like a city. It never convinces me, not even at high altitudes. So... bring it on! ;)

Considering the pricing: the current AFS2 DLC is cheap indeed but, in all honesty, so is the quality (apart from the inner city of NY the entire NY scenery looks like... well, never mind). But for a region as you described it, photoreal with every building etc, I'd pay big money. Seriously big money. I have flown in single FTX regions for years (I own quite a few but mainly flew in PNW since it was released and after that in Norway since its release: 99% of my time was spend flying there!) so I don't need the entire world: I just want one region to be totally awesome! So hopefully you can bring the development of such a region for AFS2 a bit more to the top of the priority list...? ;) I know we won't have to expect anything before Q3 or Q4 of this year and a full blown region will probably take even a lot longer, but well... the sooner the better! ^_^ (And yes, I did read the 'if' :rolleyes: and I know nothing is set in stone yet. But I really hope one day it will be.)

I'am very positive about Aerofly2 (as already mentioned by me offcourse)!!

Positives:

- flying feels more real then ever (ok: flight dynamics, start up procedures, ATC etc. must be worked on, but these will come)

. I was never in the States and probably will never be there but now I have got the idea how the sceneries overthere (and deserts) really are

. flying the F15 over these surroundings is really lots of fun

- also possible to take a nice flight in 1/2 an hour without all kinds of procedures (ok: I also like procedures etc. but nevertheless)

- possibility to fly with VR (don't have it yet)

- very, very cheap: for about 60 Eur. you get the whole sim with lots of aircraft and airfields and further on a beautifull Switzerland

- a living and futureproof (also 64 bit) flightsim with dedicated developers

Negatives:

. mentioned enough by others...

. hope that the water textures will be better done

. traffic on the roads

For the future of this flightsim, I hope that it attracts lots of enthousiastic users!

On 12/28/2016 at 5:37 PM, HiFlyer said:

Don't do Vsync

What resolution is your Monitor?

Try setting your fps to something like 120 in game

Turn cumulus clouds down or off. Does that change anything?

Try Vsync from nvidia control panel instead

Make sure to join the beta channel if you haven't already, and get all fixes and updates

Yes, using certain combinations of FPS settings, Vsync options etc. (adaptive, half etc. Can't remember exactly what I did) I can reduce the stutters.

The thing is, the sim was perfectly smooth for the first couple of versions last summer. Then they broke something when they implemented VR, and they seem to be unable/unwilling to fix it.

So now it's the same story as FSX - Find some tweak and apply, try the sim, tweak, try again, tweak. Change some obscure driver setting, try again. By pure luck, you might eventually discover a workable combination of tweaks and settings that provide a smooth experience. But if I'm going to switch to another sim, it has to be better than that. Even P3D doesn't need many tweaks nowadays. The overall framerate is much lower, but if it says 25 FPS, I'm getting a consistent, stable 25 FPS.

1 hour ago, JimmiG said:

So now it's the same story as FSX - Find some tweak and apply, try the sim, tweak, try again, tweak. Change some obscure driver setting, try again. By pure luck, you might eventually discover a workable combination of tweaks and settings that provide a smooth experience. But if I'm going to switch to another sim, it has to be better than that. Even P3D doesn't need many tweaks nowadays. The overall framerate is much lower, but if it says 25 FPS, I'm getting a consistent, stable 25 FPS.

You shouldn't need to be in the drivers at all, and shouldn't need to be tweaking, since honestly, there's not that much to tweak....... The questions I was asking were less to find some better settings in Aerofly as they were to help locate possible problems in your system.

But for a region as you described it, photoreal with every building etc, I'd pay big money. Seriously big money.

Same here. If that could be done for the entire South Western USA region (frankly, I am not bothered about anywhere else), and IPACS could deliver a decent ATC system/AI planes etc, then AeroFly FS2 could very easily become my main flight simulator. I am not interested in flying intercontinental routes in a Boeing 777. If I want a global flight simulator, I have P3D. This one should be much more about very high detail in a regional area.

I love Aerofly in VR, but I do have to say, I would use it even more if wearing glasses in a HMD wasn't such a pain in the rear. Maybe by the time this has come to fruition, somebody will have actual prescription lenses for the oculus. The only ones I can find actually for sale right now are for the Vive....... :(

I have to say that this announcement has really increased my enthusiasm for the Cosford 2017 FlightSim Show in October. I loved the first two shows that I attended (2014/2015), but there was something missing from last year's event. I don't really know why this was the case, but I suspect that it might be partly because I didn't "poke my nose in" quite as much. I like being able to help people with problems, or let them know about stuff that I already use, so I will make a bigger effort to do that this year :) Since John stated that ORBx would be at Cosford 2017 "in force", I am hoping that we will be able to see some interesting stuff for AeroFly FS2. Hopefully, this will be a kick up the backside for the show, and help to deliver the satisfaction that I experienced during my first two visits B)

On 5-1-2017 at 1:40 PM, John Venema said:

The market is for the 15-30 minute casual flyer who just wants a great experience and a quick fix.

This may well be true but it is doing the sim a bit short imho. AFS2 really is a sim and can be used as such (even more so in the future). I don't want people to think this is just a game because it isn't. For instance, I just finished a flight in the Baron from an airport without VOR to an airport without VOR using only a VOR in de distance, so without overflying it, and without using a GPS or map, only using the NAV radio's, VOR gauges, DME, etc. and it worked flawlessly. (I really like this kind of flying: it keeps you busy. ;)) This definitely is a sim, no matter what the target market may be. Not complete yet but getting better and better in the (near) future. Specially with an Orbx photoreal region! ;) And btw after having some contact with the guy who is working on the planes I seriously doubt if casual flyers are the main market: a lot of nice things are coming our way.

I think their planes are eventually going to be some of the most amazing default craft ever offered, and that 3rd parties will take things even further. But I also see that by retaining the ability to have the radios be auto tuned to the correct frequencies based on the nav screen settings etc, that the door is being deliberately kept open for less experienced/more casuals users as well.

I sense the developers are keen to keep a balance that doesn't let the sim completely lose itself in the stratosphere, limiting its market, without also leaving a ready flightpath down to earth where the people with the money are.

It's great reading new VR users experiencing it for the first time. FSX+Flyinside+OrbX England+UK2000 Leeds Bradford was my favourite VR flying experience for the whole summer this last year. Great fun flying over my homeland and spotting landmarks in the A2A Spitfire. Times change though, and the DCS MkIX has become my Spitfire of choice, and FS2 is near the top of the VR list for amazing experiences. On my system FSX+OrbX is every bit as good graphically as DCS, especially in 2D with DX10 fixer, but the times they are a-changing and once OrbX hooks up with FS2, I suspect that FSX will go on the shelf alongside Grand Prix Legends as a great classic and fond memories.

As you might know, I was always sceptical towards Aerofly. However after reading so many enthusiastic posts about this new sim, I decided to have closer look at it and also at VR. A question that arose is how to control airplanes and sim in VR. OK, joystick and yoke will be fine I guess, but I have literally all keyboard keys and yoke/throttle buttons assigned to certain actions. So how to use these keys and buttons when the VR headset is blocking the view?

This is a question I have also yet to see a satisfactory answer for. I have my Saitek gear mounted similar (not exactly) to the RL a/c I was flying. Helps with muscle memory and switch location, etc. I don't see any way to do that in VR and products such as FlyInside simply won't be able to provide that. And without mentioning tactile feedback yet. I'm about 12-18 months from getting back into the sim(s) anyway so at least I get to see back and see how things develop over that time and I *am* excited about VR and where it is going. I'll drop all my Saitek gear if a suitable workaround solution presents itself. </watching from afar>

6 minutes ago, jpreou said:

This is a question I have also yet to see a satisfactory answer for. I have my Saitek gear mounted similar (not exactly) to the RL a/c I was flying. Helps with muscle memory and switch location, etc. I don't see any way to do that in VR and products such as FlyInside simply won't be able to provide that. And without mentioning tactile feedback yet. I'm about 12-18 months from getting back into the sim(s) anyway so at least I get to see back and see how things develop over that time and I *am* excited about VR and where it is going. I'll drop all my Saitek gear if a suitable workaround solution presents itself. </watching from afar>

I have Saitek gear as you do but not VR yet.  But since I don't have AS2 I'm curious why a person can't use the real Saitek stuff with the VR goggles on.  I mean, can't you feel the yoke in your hands?  I could fly blind with my setup if someone told me what was happening.

In VR a lot of the controls are designed to be directly accessed/clicked/pressed/turned in the cockpit using your mouse. Recently, control using the Vive touch controllers was also added, with oculus controllers also in the pipeline.

Note: The Oculus HMD has a large open space at the nose that allows you to easily see outside by tilting your head a tiny bit, and I believe the Vive has a camera on the front.

I use a bluetooth Xbox One controller which has 14 assignable buttons. I program it to do everything I need to do including flaps, throttle, pedals, trim, change time of day, undercarriage, camera views etc and this allows me to stay inside VR the entire time. The AFS2 menus are already mapped to the Xbox One Select, D-pad and A buttons so even changing location, weather, aircraft, settings, is all done without leaving VR.

It's definitely one of the most well thought out VR interfaces.

It is currently downloading (but oh so slowly, lol) to my PC.

I love it on my iPad, and I know I will love it on my PC.

What are negatives to some are nothing for me.

This will be my hop in and fly vfr, low and slow or fast. I cannot wait to get it going, most likely early afternoon tomorrow.

Sometimes I care less about systems, I just want to fly, with pretty stuff to see, and smoothness, and I am positive this will fit the bill.

I don't waNT SYSTEMS, AND KNOBS AND BUTTONNS, i CAN't even find my own backside with two hands and a search warrant.

I have systems in P3D that I rarely tough if I want to be confused as a cow in a parking lot I will go through hundreds of pages.

Truthfully though, the PMDG 737 NGX was for the visuals to me, I can spend years learning the systems.

Cannot wait for ORBX scenery and OR VR, although that will be awhile as it is a hefty investment for a GPU and the Rift.

I'm as happy as a buttered biscuit in a basket.

Archived