• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2017 at 8:23 AM, J van E said:

Well, it's funny: I expected this to be my low and slow sim, because of the kind of scenery and because the planes are quite simple so GA planes, being 'simple' in real life too, come closer to a real life experience than one of the airliners, which are all pretty basic and obviously miss more functionality. But I've been flying the Airbus almost exclusively...! Even though its systems are basic and (I have to say) sometimes wrong, I figured out how to handle it and it has managed modes (including automated speeds, etc.) and the basics I need to fly it. But I also found the scenery shines at higher altitudes (where the total lack of 3D stuff can't really be noticed). Besides, I never ever in my life experienced an Airbus with such smoothness. Obviously because the systems are basic but it no matter what, all the Airbusses I've flown in other sims gave me flights that were lacking smoothness. I simply LOVE being able to fly an Airbus with utterly smooth performance now! The last days my cruising altitude has come down to a not too realistic FL100 to FL150 because at that altitude I can see the mountains better... seeing them pass by smooooooooooothly is so great...!!! Somehow thanks to the smoothness and of course the photoreal everything seems quite realistic. (Well, until I have to land... I just can't get used to those flat cities... I try to avoid flying over big cities.)

Anyway, I also love the 'hop in' aspect of AFS2: you are flying within seconds. Awesome. Changing planes or location or whatever setting is also done in no time. Such a relief. I am of course curious to see what will happen to the speed of AFS2 when deeper systems are being added and more complex scenery. What I am MOST curious about is where the first Orbx 100 GB region will be located... :rolleyes:;)

If I had to guess which region Orbx will offer first for AFS2, I would pick the PNW, as it was the first U.S. region for FSX, and it would complete the entire west coast for the U.S. in AFS2. As for an airport, Meigs in Chicago might be the obvious choice since we have already seen a few screen shots of the area, and might include Midway and OHare as well. Pure speculation on my part of course. :)

6 hours ago, BaronKen said:

If I had to guess which region Orbx will offer first for AFS2, I would pick the PNW, as it was the first U.S. region for FSX, and it would complete the entire west coast for the U.S. in AFS2. As for an airport, Meigs in Chicago might be the obvious choice since we have already seen a few screen shots of the area, and might include Midway and OHare as well. Pure speculation on my part of course. :)

I'm hoping for a Orbx Meigs Field for sure.  A Midway and O'Hare would be great.  We can certainly use a layover airport to bridge the East and West coast DLCs.

Regards,

Ray

17 hours ago, Dusterman said:

Steam just completed a large new update to AFS2, 2.01.EA3.82, about 10 gb.  No information yet on what is in the update.

From IPACS: "this update just replaces the world wide aerial images with slightly newer versions. There is no new content besides a greater coverage for tree data in the western part of the USA." Nothing really interesting, unfortunately.

16 hours ago, Dukester said:

WOW so push a 10GB update for nothing really interesting apart from some newer aerial images & more trees, strange...

You might want to disable the beta option if you don't want updates that don't do much. Afaik this update has only been received by those who have enabled the beta option. I think that when regular users get this update a few more things will have been added to make it more worthwhile? Anyway, I can do without too frequent updates (not that there have been that many) or updates that might break things (whihch is normal with beta's) so I have the beta disabled right now.

Some more details were posted on the IPACS forum today on the 10GB update.  It mentions "an upcoming region release", hmm....

EDIT: I just saw the post by @alcliff mentioning pretty much the same thing.

Update to version 2.0.1 EA 3.82 (20170222) - Beta Only Release
This release in the beta channel is a fairly large download but doesn't add much to the space requirements as it mostly replaces files already installed in your Aerofly FS 2 folder. This update sets groundwork for an upcoming region release, fixes some tree templates, and replaces/updates some aerial images to newer versions so that you will have the latest ground coverage for your regions. Upcoming releases may be larger than normal and will add to the total space requirement for Aerofly FS 2 once the new region is available.

Once this release is considered stable enough it will be available in the standard channel as well.

IPACS would like to thank you for your continued support and patience while they strive to achieve the features most wanted by the community.

Interesting stuff. Soon as there is decent Nordic countries, i'll buy it. Helsinki-Vantaa and Malmi -airports are priority ONE !!!

Probably works best the other way around. The sooner more people buy it, the sooner we will have more features, ongoing funds help development.

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

You know, I kinda think it's hard, not to be impressed with what you see. It's all so smooth and beautiful in the cockpit and at 120 frames a second...mind boggling.

It's just not realistic tho, is it? It leaves me thinking wouldn't FSX or P3D (which are the 32 bit applications, rather than X-Plane which is 64 bit) run at those frames without the incredible other add-ons like scenery, atc, weather, seasons, and traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm right behind this stuff, bought it a while back, but just failed to see the potential for myself at the moment while it's so bare.

I really hope I'm wrong, that they sustain high FPS and low VAS with the installation of all the additional stuff that we need, but at the moment the jury is certainly out for me...

Frank  

1 hour ago, tennyson said:

You know, I kinda think it's hard, not to be impressed with what you see. It's all so smooth and beautiful in the cockpit and at 120 frames a second...mind boggling.

It's just not realistic tho, is it? It leaves me thinking wouldn't FSX or P3D (which are the 32 bit applications, rather than X-Plane which is 64 bit) run at those frames without the incredible other add-ons like scenery, atc, weather, seasons, and traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm right behind this stuff, bought it a while back, but just failed to see the potential for myself at the moment while it's so bare.

I really hope I'm wrong, that they sustain high FPS and low VAS with the installation of all the additional stuff that we need, but at the moment the jury is certainly out for me...

Frank  

The way to do that experiment is to turn those things off in our favorite sims and see what framerates you end up with.

In fact I've done the experiment multiple times, so for me the answer is pretty plain, though I have no idea what the technical reasons are.

I've even turned xplane down to the point where everything I can find is disabled and there's essentially nothing visible but bare ground, and......... still no. :unsure:

Yeah, I don't think that really counts.

I'm no genius, but when all of that stuff is already loaded in the program, by simply deselecting it, I'd reckon it has to have some effect on the overall sim.

Anyway, it's a moot point, as nobody is about to reverse the code, just to prove the point.

So, I'll just watch and wait like everyone else and see what the future holds for this now, king of the heap Frame Buster.

Frank

I also keep in mind that one of the reasons Orbx expressed interest was the high framerates and the possibilities that opens up for them as scenery developers. I'm thinking their tech people took a good long look at all the pluses and minuses, and that's a source of optimism for me.

Now we all just have to wait and see what happens.

On 9-3-2017 at 4:14 PM, tennyson said:

Yeah, I don't think that really counts.

I'm no genius, but when all of that stuff is already loaded in the program, by simply deselecting it, I'd reckon it has to have some effect on the overall sim.

It does count. Of course it does. Otherwise turning off options would have no effect at ALL. But it does. Specially if you restart the sim with the different options before testing. However, even with seriously ALL options turned off in XP11 the performance didn't even geat NEAR to what I get in Aerofly FS2... with all options maxed out! Aerofly FS 2 simply has a better running engine. The smoothness I get in Aerofly FS 2 is impossible to experience in XP11 or P3D. XP11 and P3D can sometimes look smooth but Aerofly FS 2 simply IS smooth. ;)

EDIT

Here is what I posted on another forum after testing the above:

"I decided to give this a try. Fired up XP11 (don't have P3D installed right now) and turned ALL graphic options down to the lowest possible. Really everything. I parked a default Boeing on KLAX. This resulted in an almost empty world. Fps was around 55 to 60 on my PC but... looking around with Track IR still felt sluggisch. Tearing was terrible and it was a big jaggy edged mess. So I set everything to Medium (of course shadows still off, no AI, no clouds, etc.) and fps was around 35. And still it looked terrible.

In AFS2 I can park my Boeing on KLAX with settings maxed out all the way, detailed airport, parked planes, shadows, the lot, and still fps won't drop below 120 on my PC"

Take note that 1. at that time I capped fps to 120 and 2. I used a GT780 at the time. Right now I have a 1080 and while XP11 performance improved by some 30% with the 1080, AFS2 performance improved by 90%. Making all differences even bigger.

And here is a screenshot I took around the same time:

31974744650_020577b224_o.gif

I think that initially a version of FTX Global should be offered up for AF2. We know there is a 64 bit version already as exampled in the  Dovetail Flight School 64 bit sim. It would at least give us some worldwide coverage and autogen. Obviously it would not affect the current HD Photoscenery but would allow us the chance to see the rest of the world and see how the sim performs with autogen. It would not be as detailed as a Full Fat Region but better than the current bland rest of the world.

I think they are trying to stay away from the landclass and texture system and focus on PR ground textures, so FTX Global would straying from that goal.  It remains to be seen how viable that is in the long run, but HDD sizes, processing power etc are increasing, so you never know.

Cheers,

12 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I think that initially a version of FTX Global should be offered up for AF2. We know there is a 64 bit version already as exampled in the  Dovetail Flight School 64 bit sim. It would at least give us some worldwide coverage and autogen. Obviously it would not affect the current HD Photoscenery but would allow us the chance to see the rest of the world and see how the sim performs with autogen. It would not be as detailed as a Full Fat Region but better than the current bland rest of the world.

No, please. I don't want Orbx spending precious time on trying to get landclass scenery into Aerofly. Aerofly is photoreal only and should stay that way. I am sure Orbx agrees. What is the use of seeing the rest of the world in Aerofly if it is fake? I don't want to see generic textures anywhere in Aerofly. The whole landclass system won't work in Aerfofly anyway...

Well, under the heading of "You never have a second chance to make a first impression" I suspect Orbx will arrive on the scene with the biggest bang they can, with a scenery designed to show what they are capable of in the new environment.

29 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well, under the heading of "You never have a second chance to make a first impression" I suspect Orbx will arrive on the scene with the biggest bang they can, with a scenery designed to show what they are capable of in the new environment.

Yep, I agree and looking forward to Orbx's first product for AeroFS2. Hope it won't be too long before we see a preview of what they have in store for us there.

Yes, I'm wondering what else Jarrod from Perth is up to, LOWI would be a pretty decent "Bang" to start off with

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I agree that this might be the intention or at least the desire. Are you therefore referring to a  full fat Scenery type intro or an addon airport like Anton mentions, LOWI. I think there is a big difference between an addon airport with lots of features and some surrounding details, versus a Scenery addon, whether full fat or an OLC type offering. The last two addon types would involve the things that would override HiRes PR which some people want as the principal addon and not involve autogen or landclass etc.

Me, I would love a full fat whether or not it is a "fake" world but at least as a near realistic interpretation of an area. I agree that the engine in AF2 is currently showing to be extremely good but it has not yet been tested. If it is to remain as HiRes PR based flight sim then for me it begins to lose it's attraction as i can get that already if i want. Not, I admit to the same fluency as AF2 but I can still get it plus with the same sim i can have full fat type addons, land class, autogen and traffic etc.

I fully understand that AF2 may currently be the VR flyers delight and agree that the details of the planes are superior to other sims default planes and therefore it's current format is ideal for tube flyers particularly, and the HiRes PR are great for VFR low and slow in the high detailed areas. I especially enjoy the 2 major detailed addons to date which are the Grand Canyon (no autogen because there isn't any in real life worth mentioning, but the mesh detail is great) and the highly detailed New York City( full of autogen but limited in it's  visual range). 

Just expressing my own desires here and agree that my desires do not match with some others. 

Conjecture is well and good, but we will have more Project A screenshots next month. We have continued development activity on Project A since February and you will see the fruits of this early R&D soon enough.

However, any major project covering a region sized area is still over a year away due to the radically different approach that is needed and new tools to be learnt and properly internally documented and staff hired to use.

Looks amazing, FPS look amazing, I will pop back in 2 years time and see if there is a anything like a studly level airliner for it. Until then enjoy the eye candy in the aircraft that comes with it.

Huge potential.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Conjecture is well and good, but we will have more Project A screenshots next month. We have continued development activity on Project A since February and you will see the fruits of this early R&D soon enough.

Wow, this will be one of the most anticipated set of screenshots. Hope it will be before Easter so only have one month to wait :)

Many thanks for the information.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

However, any major project covering a region sized area is still over a year away due to the radically different approach that is needed and new tools to be learnt and properly internally documented and staff hired to use.

Good news. Specially the part that says "the radically different approach" which indicates that any upcoming region sized area won't be some sort of port of landclass scenery but a real new 'official' Aerofly FS region with the quality we've come to expect from Orbx. Awesome. Obviously I am less happy with the part that says 'still over a year' ^_^ but I rather wait a year or more for a truly new Aerofly region than getting some sort of port with FSX-stuff in a few months or so. Can't wait for the screenshots!

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

Thanks for the update John, very much looking forward to those early screenshots and more info on Project A development as it occurs. : )

8 hours ago, John Venema said:

John, this is where my new purchases and use of my funds is going.  120 FPS...kicks everything else to the curb...  Start releasing offerings for AF2, and I'll do my part by releasing funds to grab 'em.... :))))))

Bring it ON!

2 hours ago, antonvs said:

I just came across this review by Dino Cattaneo from Oct last year of both Aerofly FS2 and the Vire VR. This is a good read. http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com.au/

You will need to scroll down to Oct 8, 2016

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

I bumped into that too, and was especially keeping my eye on his preliminary exploration of Importing a plane to Aerofly FS2

http://www.fsvisions.nl/dino-cattaneo-en-aerofly-fs-2/

owBlvW.png

Archived