Aerofly Navigation features (on some planes)

Route planning
Instrument Landing System (ILS)
Omni Directional Radio Range (VOR)
Non-directional radio beacon (NDB)

Here's a kid getting the most out of some of whats there, and I think Aerofly vehicles compare quite well to FSX default planes.

With a lot of the basics in place, it should be interesting to see what 3rd parties might be able to eventually wring out of the system.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought it yesterday: very fun flying; I also, like others already have said, think the backbone is there and now (what HiFlyer allready said): wait and see what 3rd parties might be able to eventually wring out of the system.

hUDQ41L.jpg

G4cIewK.png

For real simulated flying however, I like DCS the best (hoping, that ORBX may also look overthere ....................????????????)

7 hours ago, alcliff said:

Minimum: Graphics: OpenGL 3.0 compatible 3D graphic card with at least 1 GB of RAM

Recommended: Graphics: OpenGL 4.0 compatible 3D graphic card with at least 2 GB of RAM

Strange. 2GB should be enough - if not used by other processes than AF2?

There may be problems with OpenGL 4.0 installation?

Hi,

Yes, thanks for that, I'm not impressed really, I've un-installed, I think for me this will go down the path with Microsoft Flight, and the dreadful DTG Flight School...

Cheers,

Sorry I missed the party...  I'm a lurker...  Is ORBX not supporting LM P3D anymore and going after other sims?

I thought 64Bit P3D is "just around the corner"...  I'm assuming it will see a nice freshening with that update.  I also would love to see ORBX go after DCS content as I think they could add a few personal touches to an already amazing sim.

56 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

Sorry I missed the party...  I'm a lurker...  Is ORBX not supporting LM P3D anymore and going after other sims?

I thought 64Bit P3D is "just around the corner"...  I'm assuming it will see a nice freshening with that update.  I also would love to see ORBX go after DCS content as I think they could add a few personal touches to an already amazing sim.

Check out JV's 2017 roadmap topic:  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127182-orbx-2017-roadmap/

And, JV today re-emphasized that LM P3D will remain the premiere platform for Orbx:  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127182-orbx-2017-roadmap/?do=findComment&comment=1141406

As you may have heard, Ipacs has released an SDK for Aerofly FS 2.

Among other goodies is a complete model DR400 with cold and dark settings. It requires very little to get it up and working in the sim, and I consider it a nice little bonus.

Pics of the little thing and I over the desert......... at 500+ FPS  ^_^

Frames lower left corner (click to expand)

K2DUDm.jpg

BEOG1U.jpg

5wjAzJ.jpg

16 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

I think I may give this Aerofly FS 2 thing a try today....if only to see what all the fuss is about.

I DID buy X-Plane 11 and like it, at least in the Seattle area.

Trips out to Orcas, Friday Harbor, Anacortes were pretty disappointing though UNTIL I installed some very nicely done freeware sceneries and libraries including these Russian files - a pain, but now its MUCH better and I can bop around the San Juans in 64 bit 30 FPS (am I allowed to post screen shots for discussion sake?) .  I really like it, but still much prefer P3D and Orbx - and definitely want to see P3D in 64 bit.  But Orbx products in X-Plane would be great too.

But if Project A gets the Orbx treatment AND autogen more places AND AI and can still do smooth 60 FPS?   That'd be VERY interesting....

Good times!

Steve

Just FYI for anyone out there that is interested in all this talk of the new emerging sims - Aerofly FS2 installed just fine but (at least on my PC and resolution) the ground scenery (towns, fields, etc.) looked, well, pretty bad - even stock FSX from my boxes in the basement  (or FS2004) would be much better. Brought back scary memories of FS2000 - or something. I just don't think I "dig" flying over photos, maybe.

That said, I did like the load times and map interface a lot, the planes looked great, mountains and canyons were pretty nice, and FPS and smoothness were phenomenal.   Flight dynamics not the greatest but trim, flaps, etc worked and functioned.

This is all just my opinion....and based on YouTube etc. your mileage may vary and you may love it.  And coupled with Orbx this sim may turn out spectacular.

So I'm glad others are enjoying it and it was fun to try it, but as for me the Great Aerofly FS2 experiment ended tonight with a prompt refund of my $45 by Steam (which I'll use in Feb to buy "Train Sim World") and a flight around SCA region.

But IMHO for Orbx fans their $45 would be FAR better spent at the ending soon sale.;)

Steve

26 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

This is all just my opinion....and based on YouTube etc. your mileage may vary and you may love it.  And coupled with Orbx this sim may turn out spectacular.

Well if all the airports and towns were perfect, what would there be for Orbx to do? ^_^

If I were a third party, especially who did scenery, I would see just about everything you just wrote as an opportunity.

And of course Aerofly is photo-scenery..... and Orbx is pretty much exclusively modified photo-scenery nowadays, so......

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......:wub:

2 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Just FYI for anyone out there that is interested in all this talk of the new emerging sims - Aerofly FS2 installed just fine but (at least on my PC and resolution) the ground scenery (towns, fields, etc.) looked, well, pretty bad - even stock FSX from my boxes in the basement  (or FS2004) would be much better. Brought back scary memories of FS2000 - or something. I just don't think I "dig" flying over photos, maybe.

That said, I did like the load times and map interface a lot, the planes looked great, mountains and canyons were pretty nice, and FPS and smoothness were phenomenal.   Flight dynamics not the greatest but trim, flaps, etc worked and functioned.

So I'm glad others are enjoying it and it was fun to try it, but as for me the Great Aerofly FS2 experiment ended tonight with a prompt refund of my $45 by Steam (which I'll use in Feb to buy "Train Sim World") and a flight around SCA region.

But IMHO for Orbx fans their $45 would be FAR better spent at the ending soon sale.;)

Steve

Did you download the free high resolution pack from steam?

22 hours ago, John Venema said:

I don't understand your question Patrick.

This is a part with a nice scenery ! but what happen all the rest of world MAP, whithout scenrey in the AFS2 ?  or all is the same enancement ??

Patrick

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Well if all the airports and towns were perfect, what would there be for Orbx to do? ^_^

If I were a third party, especially who did scenery, I would see just about everything you just wrote as an opportunity.

And of course Aerofly is photo-scenery..... and Orbx is pretty much exclusively modified photo-scenery nowadays, so......

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......:wub:

You make a great point, and for some reason your shots look just amazing!

I did download the enhancement and clicked overlays on etc. and it DID look better, but nothing like your shots unfortunately.

Still, if the "engine" can drive great Scenery and add ons at high FPS on day, I might be back.

Till then its P3D and playing with X-Plane 11 (which looks great but needs Orbx love too).

Steve

1 hour ago, Neptune6 said:

This is a part with a nice scenery ! but what happen all the rest of world MAP, whithout scenrey in the AFS2 ?  or all is the same enancement ??

Patrick

There is in fact photoreal coverage of the entire planet in AFS2, but it's very low resolution, about 20m/pixel I think. The developers did host some discussions on Steam asking if customers wanted a 5m/pixel coverage of the whole world for about 160GB worth of files, and the response was overwhelmingly 'Yes!'. That would give us FS2004 resolution visuals for the whole planet.

2 minutes ago, John Venema said:

There is in fact photoreal coverage of the entire planet in AFS2, but it's very low resolution, about 20m/pixel I think. The developers did host some discussions on Steam asking if customers wanted a 5m/pixel coverage of the whole world for about 160GB worth of files, and the response was overwhelmingly 'Yes!'. That would give us FS2004 resolution visuals for the whole planet.

And I would simply buy a new SSD and download it all in a heartbeat. (and back it up on a regular drive so if anything went wrong I wouldn't have to cry at the prospect of downloading it all again)

160GB is not that big anymore these days. I would say; go for it but I guess that the add-ons will cost more memory so be aware that a 1TB SSD is the best buy.

I find AFS2 a bit dead. ORBX surely will do something about that but also the water looks very dead to me.

1 minute ago, bvdboomen said:

160GB is not that big anymore these days. I would say; go for it but I guess that the add-ons will cost more memory so be aware that a 1TB SSD is the best buy.

I find AFS2 a bit dead. ORBX surely will do something about that but also the water looks very dead to me.

Ipacs says they intend to add more traditional water eventually.....

I vaguely recall them mentioning they already had the water-masks for the planet. (At least I think I remember that)

Thinking about it, I think even Steam would balk at thousands of 160gb downloads, Ipacs could do what I constantly suggested to Laminar, and divide the download into individual states or country's so that people could pick their areas of interest and those with slow connections would'nt have to download for a year.

31 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Interesting. That would make at least flying airliners a nice option. And then maybe Orbx could create a worldwide autogen (OSM based) addon? ;) 

11 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Steve

I spend more than 45 bucks on a lousy round of golf that Id love to forget about... only to return and play next week:o

John and company dolls this thing up and we get A2A dynamics, ... I could be a happy camper FS2 simmer:D

On the other hand  ... if project P is 64 bit;)

We've talked a lot about "Project P" but I think there is real potential for Orbx to develop for "Project X", XP11.

These are some shots of my X-Plane 11 with the addition of some totally freeware sceneries/libraries (hope I don't get in trouble for posting these, but just like Project P, I would like folks to get excited about the possibilities of Project X  as well).

I'd love to see my Orbx San Juan sceneries but with this lighting etc. (and 64 bit).

Steve

Anacortes refineries...

RefineryXP11.jpg

Skagit...
SkagitXP11.jpg

My beloved Orcas I!  Looks like they're putting in more ramp space....
OrcasXP11.jpg

40 minutes ago, anfield ace said:

Hi guys,

Well, I've re-installed, but I still don't get any auto gen trees, any where....has any of you guys using my GPU having the same problem? Please read my specs...

Cheers,

Have you taken this to the developer website? I had/have a (different) issue, reported it, and they are going to try to have it fixed by the next update. http://www.ipacs.de/forum/

You know, I was end-of-life on Orbx products.

Not because of the products themselves, ( I always thought they were great) but because in the end, they began to seem like a bandaid over the end-of-life (to me) issues of the platforms they were being developed for, and I was done and more than done with endless tweaking, stutters, land-class with roads over houses...... just...... done.

I stopped using FSX/P3D and physically deleted everything I had from Orbx. No more band-aids over decade old platforms.

That seemed to be the end of my Orbx journey, but now........

I would open my wallet for new product on a next generation platform. (that was not esp based!)

I'm looking forwards to purchasing new Orbx...... stuff, and moving into the future.

Its been a while since I felt the hobby was actually in motion. Thanks for getting the train going, Orbx.

40 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I'm looking forwards to purchasing new Orbx...... stuff, and moving into the future.

I doubt you'll see anything soon. According to John's original announcement

ORBX will start to spend R&D resources on the top-secret projects after release of Germany South. Germany South will be due in April, may slip possibly into May and according to my experience this means not earlier than July. Usually R&D does not turn into immediate products (and as John stated in another thread, they will probably not even support all four top-secret platforms after evaluating the state of the art at that time). Realistically, the very first products for some of the top-secret projects might appear around this time of the year in 2017. While, John in another thread clearly indicated P3D3 will remain their primary and first-release platform for the foreseeable future.

We may or may not like it, but that's the facts as I read them for now. Certainly good for your wallet, though.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I stopped using FSX/P3D and physically deleted everything I had from Orbx. No more band-aids over decade old platforms.

I would open my wallet for new product on a next generation platform. (that was not esp based!)

I think you are all too fast! Have a look at John's post # 174 in the topic Michael has linked in his post above.

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

You know, I was end-of-life on Orbx products.

Not because of the products themselves, ( I always thought they were great) but because in the end, they began to seem like a bandaid over the end-of-life (to me) issues of the platforms they were being developed for, and I was done and more than done with endless tweaking, stutters, land-class with roads over houses...... just...... done.

Its been a while since I felt the hobby was actually in motion. Thanks for getting the train going, Orbx.

Good luck with that.

16 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Good luck with that.

Thanks.

By the way, it wasn't the Aerofly announcement that spurred this, my Orbx/P3D/FSX delete decision was made and done months ago.

But it is Aerofly, Xplane, and maybe DTFS that could bring me back.

Edit: And if it takes a long while, that's OK too, I'll just be using Xplane and Aerofly while I wait.

25 minutes ago, Doug Stone said:

Sorry to be a little off topic, but is there anyway to change the dreadful A320 landing callouts to the real thing? Ive had a look at the file directory but cant seem to see any familiar wav files?

Cheers

PS- this thing runs great on my lappy!

Strangely enough Ipacs says they are having trouble collecting correct sound files. This is a bit strange considering all the interesting sound packs I've purchased for FSX over the years, and its an obvious flaw.

On the other hand, its (once again) an obvious opportunity for a third party sound creator......

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I doubt you'll see anything soon.

ORBX will start to spend R&D resources on the top-secret projects after release of Germany South. Germany South will be due in April, may slip possibly into May and according to my experience this means not earlier than July. Usually R&D does not turn into immediate products (and as John stated in another thread, they will probably not even support all four top-secret platforms after evaluating the state of the art at that time). Realistically, the very first products for some of the top-secret projects might appear around this time of the year in 2017. While, John in another thread clearly indicated P3D3 will remain their primary and first-release platform for the foreseeable future.

We may or may not like it, but that's the facts as I read them for now. Certainly good for your wallet, though.

Kind regards, Michael

This is the most sensible assumption I have seen after reading four pages of mostly conjecture. 

22 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Strangely enough Ipacs says they are having trouble collecting correct sound files. This is a bit strange considering all the interesting sound packs I've purchased for FSX over the years, and its an obvious flaw.

On the other hand, its (once again) an obvious opportunity for a third party sound creator......

I think that if AFS2 wants to get anywhere it will have to come from 3rd party devs... I have read already that iPacs is having trouble getting correct sounds but also getting correct starting procedures (seems to me they are everywhere on the internet?), a proper weather engine is too much for them, they are waiting for all kinds of hooks they need to implement things, nothing has actually been decided yet on ATC and AI... In short, without 3rd party devs this sim is going nowhere. Not strange because iPacs is a very small company. Hopefully (for all who like this sim) other devs will follow Orbx soon. Or well, soon... Orbx only announced support, no one yet knows when the goods will be delivered. EDIT Ah, JV just sort of acknowledged there won't be anything real soon. 2017 may become a great year for flightsimmers but also a long year! ;)

Archived