56 minutes ago, J van E said:

I think that if AFS2 wants to get anywhere it will have to come from 3rd party devs... I have read already that iPacs is having trouble getting correct sounds but also getting correct starting procedures (seems to me they are everywhere on the internet?), a proper weather engine is too much for them, they are waiting for all kinds of hooks they need to implement things, nothing has actually been decided yet on ATC and AI

You've pretty much made clear your feelings at this point on the project, but I think the situation you described is pretty much the definition of early access. Making a brand new sim isn't an easy process, or everyone would be doing one, which is clearly not the case. After the abandonment of the genre by Microsoft, I've heard it said in the community that what we really needed was a committed and dedicated team of enthusiasts with their hands not tied by corporate.... stuff, to move things forward. Years ago with their Australia...... stuff, those newcomers were Orbx.

People who just love the hobby.

Well here is Aerofly, with a good base product, and I'm going to support them as a viable way forward as well, especially in VFR and the emerging VR market. I'll also support XPlane though its not my actual taste. And I'll support DTG if they can do something that doesn't look like re-warmed FSX. (Flight School left an awful taste)

But I won't let the fact that I have a large investment in previous sims lock me into the past. I've waited years it seems, for simulation history to resume, and a few more won't make the slightest dent. (unless I have another heart attack or something) :lol:

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

But I won't let the fact that I have a large investment in previous sims lock me into the past. I've waited years it seems, for Simulation history to resume, and a few more won't make the slightest dent.

+1!!! I am totally with you on this one! ;) 

I also bought Aerofly 2 to support them and I don't regret it for a minute: for about Eur 60,-- you get all of it with the all that beautifull scenery!

Until now 3 hours flight: that's Eur 20,-- / hour and I hope, more hours to go....................

Very interesting what will be developed as add on in the coming year!  

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Have you taken this to the developer website? I had/have a (different) issue, reported it, and they are going to try to have it fixed by the next update. http://www.ipacs.de/forum/

Hi, yes thanks for that I've just registered with them, and put it on the forum...

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

2 minutes ago, pipeorgan said:

Yes a truely awesome video, however I'm afraid you really cannot fully appreciate the wonder of the scene until you put on a VR headset and become part of it.

Especially if you have a machine that can support the 2.0 supersampling setting. I think one things people who haven't tried VR sometimes don't know about is the sense of scale. (well, and depth as well)

On a monitor, a 747 is just a pretty plane. In VR its an ENORMOUS pretty plane, that you have to turn your head to see all of.

And when you're in the cockpit, you're really in the cockpit. Really hard to convey without somebody actually seeing it. And that goes for the airports...... Just everything!

But Mr Kantarsky does the best he can in 2D. I really like most of his films, and his enthusiasm comes through.

Hi all. Another thing I like about this sim is you actually have a co pilot sitting next to you which is more than other sims do and they are using the yoke which is brilliant. I've all ways hated looking looking to the right and there's no one there, plus I was told it couldn't be done. All so they look pretty good and not like some passengers I've seen. Derek.

13 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I would also like to mention the really good detailed mesh. I have Ultimate NG in P3D but to me the mesh in the HiRes areas of FS 2 surpass that in detail and resolution. Take a look in Grand Canyon.

Capture.jpg

Jaycee, I did accidently bump into the probable solution for the issue you reported on the Ipacs forums.

If you go look at the upper left corner of your Steam Game "Library" you will see the word "Steam"

One of the dropdowns from that is "Settings"

Under that, you will find "Downloads"

Click "Allow downloads during Gameplay" and I believe that should fix your issue.

HiFlyer thanks but i had already done that amongst every other conceivable option. Steam is not something I like to use because of things like I experienced. I prefer all my games to be run by me not someone else deciding when and if i can play it.

Central 3 allows me to play P3D whilst updating an addon, P3D is playable while downloading an update e.g. Client and then when the DL is complete, remove the current Client, install the update version, and carry on playing. I won't be updating FS 2 anymore because it is linked to Steam.

52 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

HiFlyer thanks but i had already done that amongst every other conceivable option. Steam is not something I like to use because of things like I experienced. I prefer all my games to be run by me not someone else deciding when and if i can play it.

Central 3 allows me to play P3D whilst updating an addon, P3D is playable while downloading an update e.g. Client and then when the DL is complete, remove the current Client, install the update version, and carry on playing. I won't be updating FS 2 anymore because it is linked to Steam.

I read once that you can bypass a forced update by manually starting the program by double clicking on the appropriate exe on your computer. Seems to work for all offline playable games. You have to browse to the installed files themselves and search for the AFS2 exe and double click that one to start using the program. (Right click on the program in Steam, go to properties, go to local files, something like that, can't check it right now.) You might try if that works. If it does, you can use Steam to start and update the program whenever you don't want to actually play the sim, like after actually using AFS2. And you could make a shortcut to that exe on your desktop (or wherever you want it) to play the sim instead of using Steam itself. (Steam will still load but apparently not update the program.)

Haven't tried this myself yet but it is worth a shot. It would be a waste to not update AFS2 anymore, specially since it is still early access and a lot of updates will still have to come.

To JvE. Thanks. I have a shortcut of FS 2 and use that to start the game. My complaint is that I tried every option known to play the game. Staring it in Steam, starting via the FS2 exe, going offline etc tec etc. There is no other option I know of. I also notice that in Properties for the game, under Updates there is no facility to NOT update anymore. It only offers variations of allowing updates not stopping them.

I just tried Aerofly FS2 in VR mode last night for the first time, and it is brilliant.  It actually reminds me of DCS World a fair bit.  Just no weapons of course.  Flew around for about 2 hours last night and just finished another flight of around 1.5 hours, all around New York.  I used the navigation feature tonight and flew the C90 GTX from Stewart International down to Newark.  It was smooth all the way.  I just hope that as new features are added the performance isn't affected negatively, because for me that is the main attraction of this sim.  I also love having textures that don't flicker and disappear and reappear every time you move your head.

I've been loving FS2, at the moment it is just fun, you need the VR though, that's what makes this sim stand out above all the rest P3D VR is not quite there yet.

FS2 has THE BEST COCKPITS nothing comes close, I was flying the Corsair around New York, looking out over the wing, the depth is just breathtaking, the cockpit with all the detail is just brilliant. As I did loops, rolls, flew under bridges, buzzed the statue of liberty and the Empire State building, the sense of depth and the smoothness was perfect.

I spent much more on a 34 inch widescreen and it gets little flying time now. I am convinced that simulations will all be VR before long, forget building elaborate cockpits, with VR you get the cockpit of every plane you have ever wanted to fly, and you'll be amazed at how much more you will really believe you are flying.

Sorry to rave on but if you have even just an inkling of wanting to try VR and this convinces you then it will have been worth it.

cheers all

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken Hall said:

I've been loving FS2, at the moment it is just fun, you need the VR though, that's what makes this sim stand out above all the rest P3D VR is not quite there yet.

FS2 has THE BEST COCKPITS nothing comes close, I was flying the Corsair around New York, looking out over the wing, the depth is just breathtaking, the cockpit with all the detail is just brilliant. As I did loops, rolls, flew under bridges, buzzed the statue of liberty and the Empire State building, the sense of depth and the smoothness was perfect.

I spent much more on a 34 inch widescreen and it gets little flying time now. I am convinced that simulations will all be VR before long, forget building elaborate cockpits, with VR you get the cockpit of every plane you have ever wanted to fly, and you'll be amazed at how much more you will really believe you are flying.

Sorry to rave on but if you have even just an inkling of wanting to try VR and this convinces you then it will have been worth it.

cheers all

Ken

In regards to eye candy, you may be right! But that's not what I call a sim. As I wrote in another thread, for me FS2 is currently no flight sim, not even a flight game, but more a sightseeing game. Maybe in a few years it will be a different story.

Thanks Wolfko, you've said that twice or more now, time to move on ;)

We're supporting AFS2 not because it is a deep system sim with tubeliners/ATC/FMCs and all the hard core stuff. That's not the target market. The market is for the 15-30 minute casual flyer who just wants a great experience and a quick fix. And AFS2 is the best VR experience of any sim, probably of any VR game in the world right now, nothing comes close.

Loading times for AFS2:

KCGX Meigs Field - 11 seconds

La Guardia NYC - 25 seconds

Lugano, SZ - 8.5 seconds

This is from clicking the icon on the desktop to being in the VC flying. No difference in times whether using a 2D monitor or VR headset.

Now that's what I call a quick fix :)

Can someone tell me if will this work with all VR units or does it only work with the top two everyone is writing about.   My dad owns a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, can I have this experience using the Galaxy Gear VR which is more in my budget range.

Thanks,

Mike

33 minutes ago, Mike62 said:

Can someone tell me if will this work with all VR units or does it only work with the top two everyone is writing about.   My dad owns a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, can I have this experience using the Galaxy Gear VR which is more in my budget range.

Thanks,

Mike

I hear that via Riftcat Aerofly FS 2 and others (P3D with flyinside, etc) can work pretty well on phone based VR like Galaxy Gear. Of course you give up a bit, but it can give you a taste...... RiftCat. https://riftcat.com/vridge

I fully understand that Project A is planned in the future, but after reading this thread, I'm not still sure how it will be implemented in AF2. Will you make FTX Global for AF2, so we will be able to fly in all of the world, or will it be certain regions i.e Norway, you concentrate on, OR just airports and the suroundings?  I like AF2 as a goto, up and away flightsim for some quick and nice vfr flying, and P3D for some more serious flying. I haven't bought Switzerland (too saturated for my liking, no autogen) or New York as I know I won't be flying there anyway, so I won't mind having to pay for seperate areas that I might like (Scandinavia, Europe, The Caribbean etc.) But what are your (and Ipacs) plans for the future?

Jørn L

Ken, I think you are spot on with your VR prediction. I too got a nice new shiny 21:9 34 inch Dell monitor and with a lot of Saitek FIP gauges, yoke, radio panels, trim wheel etc etc its not a bad cockpit setup but a VR headset especially with leap motion as that technology becomes even better I have no doubt will almost completely make the Saitek gear and Dell 34 inch something of the past :) As you wrote one already have every panel in front of you and reaching for buttons and switches in VR I guess will be the ultimate experience.

In addition and as a great bonus, I am sure the lovely wife of mine will be very happy not having the dust collecting clunky cockpit hardware taking up valuable space in our fairly small apparment. Even though in my defense I do have a Wheel stand pro easy to move and store away cockpit system.

Anyway, what I would like to know not owning VR equipment from either of the two competing brands HTC and the Oculus Rift (or from any other developer for that matter). Which one is the better? and as always in the tech industry it moves moves so fast, already rumors of a HTC Vive v 2. Time to buy or hold out a lttle longer?

Mike

2 hours ago, mikced76 said:

Anyway, what I would like to know not owning VR equipment from either of the two competing brands HTC and the Oculus Rift (or from any other developer for that matter). Which one is the better? and as always in the tech industry it moves moves so fast, already rumors of a HTC Vive v 2. Time to buy or hold out a lttle longer?

The Rift currently is the generally superior, but more expensive, option. But if you can wait I would. Even at current resolutions (@1440p) the screen door effect is still very noticeable. Likewise, there are several features that I personally would like to see in subsequent hardware versions (better connection protocols, HDR displays, etc.). The current early versions, no matter what you go for, still show a lot of room for improvement.

I have a great deal of enthusiasm for VR, and have had some great experiences with loaned hardware on several occasions. But I'm also keen to have any new hardware I buy for myself be something I'm happy to keep using for several years without feeling like I really need to upgrade. Current VR hardware is definitely not there for me yet. 

Wasnt aware of the free HD SW scenery so I am downloading that now. thanks to the member in this thread who mentioned it.

What I love about AF2 is its VR experience and the ease of use.  This is a great platform to show any friend what VR flying is all about. The mouse always stays within field of view, the ability to load on the ground or on final and the easy to use main menu to set up a flight.  Anyone who has tried to show a friend VR using FlyInside in P3D or FSX knows first hand how hard it is to try and talk them threw getting a flight started and more as you almost need to be inside the VR to do it.

Looking at how AF2 can play into my simming is based on seeing that PilotEdge becomes available in it which seems to be in the works. Without that, this will be a very fun sim for firends of mine and something that I might jump in from time to time.  With PE, I can then enjoy flying in SoCal and not worry about getting OOM, low frames and all that other stuff that limits me with the current P3Dv3.

At that point its not so much about wanting real world weather, seasons of planes flight dynamics but focus on radio and IFR procedures having a complete and detailed VFR world below as well. Add in Orbx products to the mix and then I now have the added benefits of staying highly immerse from start to finish when flying between two fields. Would I enjoy having A2A there as well, heck yes but if not then thats what P3D is for to me.

Orbx is already stating that they are coming to AF2 in 2017. JV in this thread has said they will start off with airports and in another thread, getting their products into AF2 is almost drop and play with the exception of the flows.  With that in mind, I would hope that for customers who have paid for the product in P3D/FSX there would be a discounted price while AF2 only customers not having it would pay a higher price more reflective of the value of the product.

If anything like that becomes the case then I will certainly plan to put a huge amount of my Orbx airports into AF2 if PE also is there or A2A.  Either of those two would give me a purpose to use the sim that I can not find in any other platform. I only say this to provide loyal customer feedback to Orbx and highlight how addon developers are also somewhat dependent of each other even when their focus is in various areas of addons.  Trust me if we didnt have A2A, those small GA fields would not be as important to me at the same time with no PMDG or Majestic would the bigger airports be either. I would just remain a one platform Orbx customer with focus on P3D as I see it now. 

15 hours ago, Jordan King said:

John, will this be distributed through Steam, or ORBX Direct? 

Certainly yes to Steam, not sure about OD. If we make a 100GB photoreal region with every building, POI, tree placed and airport upgraded then the bandwidth costs us $15 per copy on our CDN, clearly not feasible. I'd rather give that Steam zero bandwidth cost saving to IPACS as their share to help them grow. Whatever the case, enjoy the Early Access prices they are selling their DLC for on Steam because we can't spend $100,000 developing a photoreal region and sell it for $6.99, not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Certainly yes to Steam, not sure about OD. If we make a 100GB photoreal region with every building, POI, tree placed and airport upgraded then the bandwidth costs us $15 per copy on our CDN, clearly not feasible. I'd rather give that Steam zero bandwidth cost saving to IPACS as their share to help them grow. Whatever the case, enjoy the Early Access prices they are selling their DLC for on Steam because we can't spend $100,000 developing a photoreal region and sell it for $6.99, not going to happen.

Don't know about anybody else, but my card is ready.

18 minutes ago, John Venema said:

John, many of us early adopters value this sim, and its 'take' on flight simming so much, that providing the storage space on our systems for HIGH RES, highly detailed regions, will not be any issue...so please consider that in your development.  Most of us won't care how large the footprint will be to host it on our machines, if this photo-real format takes us as close to flight and visual reality that short of holograms of the future...like a in-house 'holo-deck'...if it advances suspension of disbelief of the Grey Matter...

I'd want quality of the visuals, only as a product criteria, and not how large the file must be to realize it.

And for those who are unable or unwilling to use credit cards, Steam does accept Paypal payments. Furthermore, for US customers, Steam takes payments in USD.

I personally plan to buy the Orbx addons for AFS2 via Steam, mainly for ease of installation, etc.

And of course, I'll be purchasing on Day 1 of availability, the upcoming Orbx addons for AFS2. :D

Two things come to mind to me on a personal level

1. The amount of HDD space going to be required if for example the current trend is anything to go by, will be enormous in comparison to the current requirements for P3D/FSX. As JV commented on, a FTX Region in Photoreal could easily be 100+ GB. My current NA Orbx folder has 6 regions and 20 odd airports using just over 60 GB. A small portion of SW USA in FS2 is using 50+GB and that is without any autogen/buildings etc.

2. Downloading addons of such GB magnitude is no problem for those of you who enjoy Fibre or other high speed internet connections, but there are many who don't have that facility. FS 2 plus 2 DLCs took me over 2.5 days to download. I then had to download the free HiRes DLC which took me another 2.5 days. In 5 days I managed to play for 3 hours because Steam would not allow me to play FS2 while downloading a DLC ( a problem to which i found no resolution to when enquiring on various support forums) So potentially one FTX Region could take me 5 days to download and during that period, not be able to fly in FS2.

I enjoy FS2 because it offers me the speed of 64 bit in terms of loading times, fluidity and the photoscenery but it is not loading anything like the amount of data that my P3D is currently dealing with. 99% of the FS2 data is photos.

Because of the issues I have I will probably keep FS2 as it is now and use it on occasions when I want to have a quick fly.

I am not knocking FS2 or claiming P3D is better or anything of the sort so please don't start suggesting that I am. What I am voicing is that there are different aspects to be looked at if one is considering enjoying the sim to it's full potential, and some of those aspects have a slight downside to some of us.

Archived