Good news and not so good news - upcoming releases

John Venema

Hello everyone,

Firstly before I forget, I'd like to thank each and every single one of you for the fantastic support through 2015 and here's wishing you and your family a great festive season and a safe new year. Drink responsibly and blue skies to all!

Now onto business. I just wanted to give you a heads up on some impending releases and one delay.

The FTX NA SCA Southern California first release candidate is being prepared by Ed as we speak. Hopefully the testing team can give it a good bill of health this coming week and we can get it into your hands. It will certainly make your xmas stocking, that's a promise. Adrian at FSS has recently finished a massive infrastructure upgrade so the CDN will be able to cope with the demand for this very anticipated region.

openLC NA USA/Mexico (including Hawaii and the Caribbean) will be delayed until the new year. All the new textures and LC are done and we're just waiting on final autogen and night lighting to be completed. We may possibly be in beta as soon as late next week but as you can understand there's no way I am going to sign off on it without testing most of the millions of square miles of landclass, so I'd rather it be in good shape and delay release for a bit. I'm confident it will be out in the first quarter, possibly by February.

Airports - We finally have some Scandinavian airports incoming (applause!!) and in beta testing right now or imminently we have EDBJ Jena Schoengleina, ESSA Stockholm Arlanda, ENSD Sandane and ENNO Notodden. Tore Stranden is also trying as hard as he can to complete his magnum opus ENNK Narvik. Also Turbulent Designs are still popping their speed pills and we may see O60 Cloverdale in the mix as well. As to how many of these will make it for xmas I can't tell you, and please don't ask. Watch the preview forums for screenshots from the usual suspects to get an idea.

Further afield for January we have KCGX Meigs Field for FSX/P3D, another Turbulent NCA airport and some goodies from Alex, Jarrad, Misha and maybe a few more surprises. So that's about 11 releases to look forward to in the next eight weeks. Whew!

Finally FTX EU GEN Germany North is about halfway through development and looking uber-fantastisch! Here's two sneak peeks around Berlin:

2d2f7c23e7d24d70251ba3ae2dae1432.jpg

a03252b85fd52709f3e77023e5aca10b.jpg

So lots to look forward to in the next few weeks and months and I promise 2016 is going to be a HUGE year for Orbx releases with at least 20 more projects now currently in development or starting soon, over and above what I've just mentioned. We have added another developer to the openLC team to double the rate of LC texture creation and of course we expect almost all our 120+ products to be P3Dv3 ready by the end of the first quarter, sooner if we get Ed to drink copious amounts of Red Bull! :lol:

Once again, thanks to all our amazing customers for 2015 and here's to a bigger and better 2016!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your good wishes and news, John. I'd say I see only good news here, having OpenLC NAS in February will come just at the right time, after we've flown Socal in all its nooks and crannies.

In the true spirit of the flightsimming community (that is, give them your hand and they'll try to eat up your arm), I'll add that I very much look forward to the new additions to Tim & Ken's Experience line in 2016, PNG #2 and another Pacific Island package.  Also now that Xmas 2015 is almost behind us :lol:, I also look forward to hear some announcement of the much awaited OpenLC Asia for Xmas 2016 ! 

My own wishes to you and all the people at OrbX for a joyful and happy end of the year !

Just now, RobdeVries said:

What was the bad news?

It was this part here:

openLC NA USA/Mexico (including Hawaii and the Caribbean) will be delayed until the new year. All the new textures and LC are done and we're just waiting on final autogen and night lighting to be completed. We may possibly be in beta as soon as late next week but as you can understand there's no way I am going to sign off on it without testing most of the millions of square miles of landclass, so I'd rather it be in good shape and delay release for a bit. I'm confident it will be out in the first quarter, possibly by February.

Not really the end of the world IMHO, but that's fine. 

Good to know that it's making good progress and will be appearing on the horizon in the more-or-less near future.

I join the folks above not seeing any "not-so-good" news here. All is fine, and good quality takes its time. We all get crazy when things don´t work, or even cause trouble, but I do not have a problem being forced to discover the present Orbxworld in deeper detail.

A prosperous year-end & 2016 to the Orbx team!

I prefer FTX NA SCA & openLC USA/Mexico coming out with the proposed spacing in lieu of concurrently.

As others have mentioned, allows time to explore SCA before the openLC arrives.

Best wishes for  a happy & healthy New Year to all at, & associated with, Orbx.

A very well run enterprise.

TTM

Thank you for the information.  I know you hate opening the door to the torrent of responses, but I am one who really likes a general idea of whats coming - anticipation is fun, just ask any kid before Christmas, or for that matter any flight simmer before FTX NA SCA.  ;)

My one wondering, and I know there will be no answer, is if Northern Germany will include the North Sea and Baltic islands.  I sure hope so.

And may you and yours and all the guys working in the backroom sweatshop have a wonderful and blessed holiday.

Hello JV and All staff at ORBX,

Thank you for keeping us all informed JV. I must say 2015 has been a busy year for you guys. My wallet is much thinner but who cares, the work your team has produced is just amazing and makes simming a treat. I look forward to 2016 and ready for the new releases.

All the best to you all, and your families, and have a happy and safe Xmas and New Year.

Regards

Sam

"....(including Hawaii and the Caribbean)....."     If this was mentioned before in coverage, I somehow managed to miss it. Now that I do know about it, I am twice as excited :D

That the LC will include Hawaii and the Caribbean is better news to me than the "good" news.....lol.

Thanks for all the hard work, and Merry Christmas.

Happy Flying.

Firstly Happy Xmas and New Year to all the ORBX crew and their families.

Exciting year ahead with so many great released in the pipeline.

Nothing but good news here, good news about all the new airports and regions.

The best news for me is the fact that you care about your reputation enough not to release a programme before it is ready or with known faults.

This is what puts ORBX head and shoulders above most of the competition.

Well done and here is to an even greater future.

Thanks for the update, John.. Very much appreciated.. Orbx has completely turned round my flight simming and the quality of software is such that it goes a great distance to fill the gap left when I retired from flying due to age related ill health.. I look forward to every release of this excellent product and will continue to do so.  Happy Christmas to you, and all the Orbx developers...........I'm still trying to find the 'not so good news' in your post!

Kev

I just need Ed's delivery address for the cartons of Red Bull I'm sending. :lol:   Seriously guys, thank you so much for your fantastic products and equally excellent support. Thank you also for the enormous efforts you have all made preparing p3dv3 installers for those of us who have made the switch. The new products in the pipeline sound exciting. Like the others above, I see no bad, or even not so good news in your post John.

Here's another "Merry Christmas" and "Thank you" from Germany. Really looking forward to FTX Germany - and much excited to take off from my lovely litlle homebase EDBJ Jena-Schöngleina soon.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived