The passing of Jon Patch

Larry_R

It is with great sadness that I would like to acknowledge the passing of Jon Patch on February 22 on this forum. He had been ill for some time but these things are never anticipated. In the time that Jon and I worked together, he had become a mentor, a trusted friend, someone whose opinion I valued greatly, not only about the modeling I have been doing, but also about life. He was a very wise man; a kind and gentle soul. When I did not know what direction I wanted to follow he would always remind me 'follow Rule #1', a rule we both came up suited to my situation; 'if it's not satisfying, don't do it'. Rule #2 by the way was 'follow Rule #1'. Jon taught me so much in such a short time. I will miss him greatly.

Larry

Hi all,

I'd like to echo Larry's sentiments. As some of you know Jon and I go back quite a few years through our collaboration on FS9 scenery projects like Glacier Bay and VancouverPlus. Jon and I then worked together on the FSX version of VancouverPlus as well as its PNW-compatible v3. He also directly contributed to the Orbx Southern Alaska region: the detailed harbor and airport at Skagway as well as the trains and infrastructure along the White Pass & Yukon Railroad are his models. Other priorities as well as the increasing impact of his illness made him pull back from intensive scenery development but he always stayed in touch with the community and even managed to publish a low-cost payware version of his VictoriaPlus add-on late last year, which was very well received as he proudly reported to me just a few weeks ago.

He was a great guy to work with; always enthusiastic, supportive and very meticulous -- his Excel-based macro-enhanced testing logs were feared by all :ph34r:  Most of all though, as Larry mentioned, he was an incredibly kind and gentle individual. If you're interested, he shared some of his poetry on his website: https://jonspoetry.wordpress.com/

Blue skies always, my friend, I'll miss you!

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-76229400-1424817449_thumb.jpg

I had the privilege of working with Jon directly on the SAK region, assisting with his work on the Skagway harbor. Jon's love for the region definitely shone through in his work with meticulous attention to detail. His passing is certainly a loss to the entire community and he will be missed.

What sad news. I discovered lately the talent of Jon and it's a big loss indeed. Beyond the death, Jon's legacy will lives as long as simmers enjoy his works. RIP Man.

This is really sad news. Like Bill, I had no idea jon was ill. I have been a fan of his work for many years, and his offerings certainly enhanced my simming experience over the years. I never knew him personally but any interaction on forums with him was always a helpful and pleasant experience. Only the good die young.

Rest in peace.

Jack

It was my first encounter with Holger when I was in contact with Jon when he asked me if I could host a big file for him, I cannot remember what file it was anymore, it is too long ago. Kind and warm that is how I would describe him, may you rest in peace my friend.

Larry Robinson just informed via email and I came directly to this thread. While I did not know Jon personally - He indeed assited me in sorting out some issues in the past both with Vancouver+ and with Larry's great work on the B.C. Ferries. His quick responses to posts for myself and many others were not without notice as the mark of a true professional. I highly encourage everyone to support Larry as did Jon - Thanks Jon for all your contributions - mentoring, modelling and and making life fun for so many in our hobbies.  ATC CYVR - Jon Patch cleared for take off.... have a great flight.

I'd like to echo many other sentiments already expressed - I was shocked to read of Jon's passing this morning. He is a Giant of our community, and one of the genuinely nicest blokes I've come across in the FS world. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this tough time. 

Jarrad

Ah, what a shock.  This hobby has brought many folks together in a common interest that often has lead to lasting friendships.  So sad. Sorry for your loss to all you folks who worked closely with Jon.

I only recently have had some interaction with Jon and Larry in beta testing their BC Ferries project work.  It has been a privilege to be a small part of that.

Bye for now Jon.

Bryan Wallis

Oh my goodness, very sad news indeed and completely unexpected.

I knew and worked with Jon on various projects since 2007 and he always struck me as a kind soul, softly spoken, never aggressive and ever accomodating. His contributions to the FS community will be his outstanding legacy and will stand the test of time.

Blue skies mate!

Very sad to hear of the passing of one flight sims great talents... I did not know him personally, but from reading the comments here he was clearly a lovely person, and a highly respected individual. His poetry, that Holger linked too, gives some insight into his recent struggles; they don't make easy reading, but are worthwhile to gain some insight into a part of his world.

To all those who knew and loved him, my sincere condolences.

A real shock to hear this sad news - I've been enjoying Jon's scenery right back to the early FS9 days (as Holger explained). I checked in at his blog from time to time and had no idea he was unwell. In fact he helped me out with a Vancouver+ problem on the new FSAddon forum only this Jan.

I may never get the chance to visit Vancouver, Victoria and BC but through Jon's wonderful scenery I feel I've been there and his flight sim legacy will live on in that work.

RIP Jon, and my condolences to his family and all who knew him.

I thought I might see if there is any reaction to an idea I've been considering. When Jon finished Victoria Plus for Orbx PNW he intended to go in another direction, but we were enjoying our interaction so much that he first decided that he would fix up Ganges SPB as a free upgrade, and then the idea morphed into adding to Ganges SPB  to make a small payware project that we began calling Saltspring Plus. (Ganges SPB is on Saltspring Island.) As my freeware addon part I did all the ferries and terminals in the area, and I made several models for him to use in his part.  As time went on it became harder and harder for him to work on his large Gmax model although he followed what I was doing very closely, and in fact did a bunch of the screenshots for me, something I just never seem to get around to doing.

As a tribute to Jon, and in his memory I'm thinking of finishing the project. If possible I'd like to use as much of his work as I can even though our styles are a little different. There are some technical problems, but I think they can be overcome. As with my other stuff, I'd really be doing this for myself, for my own peace of mind, but I wonder what others might think.  And of course it would be freeware if I do it.

I think it would be great - memoralizing the work of another is a testament to thei passion and a continuation of that passion lends truth to creativity as gift that touches others. You indicated that you would do it as a freeware product and I am all for that - however, I would for one, alsobe willing to pay for it where the fees perhaps could be given to his spouse/partner or others of significance - less any administrative costs. I love the fact that you, Larry do your work as freeware - but also as you know, I believe that we all in general are willing to support based on interests the work of others.

Jon Venema made an inference the other day in a post that he had worked with Jon in the past - as a member in good standing in this community,(I think) and a shareholder (as I lay out my dollars) I believe the PNW region, is best served by all the recent and past contributions being picked up (completed, started or dusted off) and supported by either resources of manpower, through intellectual or physical contribution and potentially from financial input for development. The scenery associated with the region is rich, and diverse. Jon's work, as well as several mentionables - Don Grovestine, Holger Sandmann, and yours (Larry Robinson), Misha's 11S, Gordon Madison et al, (many others I am sure) - These contributors, developers are the reason I spend money in simming....because you all do work I cannot, you allow for escapism to the areas in which I grew up - the region I will always call home and for me, the only (for the most part) the areas I choose to fly. (Just my opinion of course.

Regardless of how you (all of you)  choose to approach this great idea, my support is right there with you. 

Archived