The passing of Jon Patch

Larry_R

Larry,

I cetainly support your desire to honor Jon by completing his last project.  It would be a fitting tribute to his long and continuing contributions to the flight sim world.  I know you would include information concerning the reasons for the scenery that would inform those who have not heard of Jon's death and allow them a moment of reflection in his honor.

Go for it!

Both sceneries, i.e. Vancouver+ and Victoria+, would be real losses, if orphaned. We should be more than grateful  to Larry if he indeed manages to complete the present Victoria Project.

Here's another proposal: Wouldn't Vancouver give a wonderful ORBX CityScape for PNW, Payware oder Freeware? Couldn't this project be taken over by an ORBX developer? To make this clear, I fully understand it's sold by FSAddon, Simmarket, and maybe others right now, there will be delicate legal and technical issues to be solved, and all that. However, given the special situation and, perhaps, a good amount of goodwill from all parties might make this possible. Jon would be certainly proud if his creations would be kept alive and have his name in future docs accompanying the project.

Firsthand, it would need a native P3D2 installer IMHO, but besides time will certainly require the scenery to reflect modifications in real Vancouver City as well.

Just an idea, and I wouldn't exclude there are better ones.

Kind regards, Michael

What a wonderful tribute to a great man that would be Larry, and I, like GregJ would certainly be willing to contribute to any fund set up for this purpose.

Thank you Larry for all the freeware contributions you and Jon have made over the years, I'm sure that Jons legacy will live on for many more years as we fly through those sky's. May he rest in Peace.  

I was on the way and somehow missed the contribution by GregJ. This might indeed be a proper way to handle Jon's works.

Please, count me in for a fund or some other means for completing/further developing his sceneries.

Kind regards, Michael

• 5 years later...

I've come across this thread multiple times over the years, and always reminds me how lucky we were to have Jon work on such a beautiful addon, Vancouver+.

I've always wanted to write a post in this thread as Vancouver+ changed my flight sim experience in such a positive manner. My main airport is CYSE, and Vancouver+ has always been a must have staple in my flight sim scenery add-ons. I can't imagine my flight sim experience without it.

I was fortunate enough to hear from Jon Patch on March 8th, 2013, when I congratulated him on a successful project well done. I made a request/suggestions to Jon for the development of the Indian Arm region in Vancouver+ including the dock the float planes use near Granite Falls, and the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club marinas. He was very kind in his response, and I was very happy to have communicated with him.

41329000_ScreenShot2020-03-28at7_10_06PM.png.06abe7fcc49366cf47cb1e45ee575ffa.png

I was reading the second issue of FSElite regarding Holger Sandmann's interview, and how he briefly discussed working on Vancouver+. This made my think of Jon Patch's wonderful work, and had to write this post. Thank you Jon and Holger for such a beautiful project. Jon will be greatly missed by the flight sim community.

Archived