This Week's Meaningless Topic (#186)(March 27)

Hi all. Those of us who are religious are looking forward to the joy of Easter this coming Sunday, celebrating again the resurrection of Jesus and the hope given us therein. In a different way, all of us Forum folk look forward to each simulated flight and the joy of doing something we love. We usually  especially find joy in some particular aspect of the flight -- planning it, starting a complex plane from cold and dark, takeoff, flight management, landing, and so forth.  As for me, I love landing. As a bush flyer, I get great joy from locating an obscure strip, figuring out an approach, touching down just right, and getting stopped in time on the short, rough surface. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What part of an individual flight gives you the most joy?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I would say if all goes well and if sometimes the view is not particularly clear then the landing can be one of those moments I find myself grinning from ear to ear..... however I also get great pleasure from setting up the plane from the initial GPU/APU startup and punching in the FMC/MCDU to loading the baggage, pax and fuel and engine start to the taxi..... 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

For me it's trying to land the plane perfectly.

I set a flight plan using real weather and an easy

ctrl/e for start up. For a perfect land I manage about

1 in every 100. With that record my passengers usually

opt for sailing.😱

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, W2DR said:

Having one of the female members of the flight staff sitting on my lap.

If you ever were to fly with us the Mule Team. I would not recommend to ask Hilda to sit on your lap:unsure:. Not that she would mind, but rather you would have severe injuries (Newton's law of gravity). Better just to ask her for a Beer instead:P. Cheers k:D

• Haha 8
  • Thanks 1

In real life,controlled and safe landing especially if take offs = Landings in number. 

In the sim, well depends on my mood on the day......

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Spotting the runway and discovering I've actually got the nose pointing at the threshold. Then - not so good, the bouncing halfway down the runway.

:)

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, boetie said:

Spotting the runway and discovering I've actually got the nose pointing at the threshold. Then - not so good, the bouncing halfway down the runway.

:)

I'm with you on that one Graeme.

I'm usually veering off to the left

or right of the runway.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I'm with you on that one Graeme.

I'm usually veering off to the left

or right of the runway.

cheers

Gumby

Skillful bunch aren't we!?

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

With deference to Rodger's preliminary statement - after I do my usual mis-controlled crash landing -

I usually console myself with --- TGIOS----:smile:;)

When I flew all those years ago - in real life - landing was always my dreaded moment - until I cleared the

dotted report line - that's when my Sphincter Muscles returned to normal.🤞

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

With deference to Rodger's preliminary statement - after I do my usual mis-controlled crash landing -

I usually console myself with --- TGIOS----:smile:;)

When I flew all those years ago - in real life - landing was always my dreaded moment - until I cleared the

dotted report line - that's when my Sphincter Muscles returned to normal.🤞

For the sake of your passengers I hope your sphincter muscles and your facial muscles were not in sinc. Hopefully an air of calm on your face :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, boetie said:

Then - not so good, the bouncing halfway down the runway.

that seems to be my go to performance, especially in the default Bus in MSFS......and don't get me started on trying to land an egg beater...

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

some great replies, it's nice to see that whilst we all love our sims for a variety of reasons, we can all appreciate that we don't always get it right....thankfully no one is actually in my plane....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, BradB said:

The landing of course .........

My all time favourite spoof movie!

I remember testing for Radar Contact (along with Rob).

Our 'virtual co-pilot' was nicknamed Otto :lol:

All the best,

John

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, BradB said:

The landing of course .........

Cheers

John

Pretty close to the Mule Team, but we still got them beat. Bye the bye, I saw that Budweiser truck heading for the rescue. That ought to do it:P. Cheers and a Happy Easter to All, k🐰.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, John Burgess said:

My all time favourite spoof movie!

I remember testing for Radar Contact (along with Rob).

Our 'virtual co-pilot' was nicknamed Otto :lol:

All the best,

John

Forgot all about Otto!  lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In general, I quite agree with the consensus that the landing is the most interesting part of the flight.  I don't do bush strips, but mountain top fields like Catalina (KAVX) and Sedona (KSEZ) are part I challenging, and rewarding when done well.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, TuFun said:

Horsing around in an eat-beater! (FSX 2011)

Brilliant.

When I was a kid I remember Neil Armstrong doing that sort of thing in the 'Flying Bedstead'. Mind you, he did have to eject.

They still let him land on the moon :)

Conspiracy theorists please don't respond :lol:

All the best,

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, John Burgess said:

Brilliant.

When I was a kid I remember Neil Armstrong doing that sort of thing in the 'Flying Bedstead'. Mind you, he did have to eject.

They still let him land on the moon :)

Conspiracy theorists please don't respond :lol:

All the best,

John

Forgot all about this, John. Thanks for the reminder. Jeez, those guys were brave!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

not sure where I was but this is the type of landing that I really enjoy, I know it's all mostly automated but coming down in this weather and seeing you've set it all up okay is a great feeling...

Screenshot (263).jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

On 3/27/2024 at 5:18 PM, W2DR said:

Having one of the female members of the flight staff sitting on my lap.

I hope you have got a proper flight staff on bord. My neighbour would not suit me (250 pounds).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/27/2024 at 10:57 PM, John Burgess said:

For me the most satisfying aspect is flying approaches using navaids and charts. Simulating not gaming ;)

Especially when the weather is lousy. Nothing beats that moment on short final when the runway lights finally appear out of the murk :)

When testing a new airport the ILS's (if present) tend to be the first thing I try out!

I'm sure that puts me down as having some sort of obsessive disorder :lol:

All the best,

John

Can´t say it better. And I have to add: P3D is much more rewarding than MSFS, with my hangar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I hope you have got a proper flight staff on bord. My neighbour would not suit me (250 pounds).

Blonde. 5' 10". 38-23-35. Single and willing.

• Haha 4