Am I getting to old for all this?

Just posting to let off some steam :rolleyes:

I have been using FSX, P3Dv4 and XP11 over the past decade and more - so I am now familiar them.

Last year I purchased a new pc for MSFS. Because of family health issues and deaths I have been away from simming for a while.

This last month I have found myself with free time to get back into simming. I started setting up P3D and XP first and even bought new add-ons for the new pc.

This past week I have focused on MSFS. It is doing my head in! Trying to set up the different controls (especially camera view :unsure:) has become very frustrating.

It is all very new and different.

Despite having used pc's and sims since the early/mid eighties, I am starting to wonder if I am getting too old for trying something new.

I seem to take ages setting up the basics or sometimes instead do it too quickly and then have to go back and correct things :(.

No doubt MSFS is a great sim, and I will persevere for now, but I am starting to feel my age.............

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

I feel your pain Paul! I'm a simple being and some things in MSFS aint that simple. YouTube has been very useful when I need advice, eg tomorrow I will be attaching a timber post to a brick wall, I'm confident my online learnings will give me a successful result??? :)

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 4

I have sympathy for you Paul. I'm 54 and my Brain isn't 

the same because of health issues regarding Hypos due to 

Diabetes Type 1 for 35 yrs.

No longer have it. But I find coming up with a new challenge

very difficult. I can only say give it your best, you may surprise

yourself, unfortunately age doesn't discriminate. We are all in 

the same boat together.

You'll be ok.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, boetie said:

I feel your pain Paul! I'm a simple being and some things in MSFS aint that simple. YouTube has been very useful when I need advice, eg tomorrow I will be attaching a timber post to a brick wall, I'm confident my online learnings will give me a successful result??? :)

Cheers

Graeme :)

Thanks Graeme. It is frustrating for me. I have been on and off MSFS all morning today trying to get things working well :rolleyes:

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I have sympathy for you Paul. I'm 54 and my Brain isn't 

the same because of health issues regarding Hypos due to 

Diabetes Type 1 for 35 yrs.

No longer have it. But I find coming up with a new challenge

very difficult. I can only say give it your best, you may surprise

yourself, unfortunately age doesn't discriminate. We are all in 

the same boat together.

You'll be ok.:)

cheers

Gumby

Thank you Gumby for your good wishes :). I am over 70 now and the mind seems to be slowing down with the body! 

• Like 4

Just a low and slow VFR pilot here so setting up the controls were easy , you might PM Jack Sawyer he just got into MSFS and I think he got all of his controls setup properly now .

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

I feel your pain, it can be very frustrating, at first I was getting really annoyed with it but it comes together in the end.....I use the in flight menus at the top alot....

Thanks Wayne. I too am starting to use the flight menus more :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Just a low and slow VFR pilot here so setting up the controls were easy , you might PM Jack Sawyer he just got into MSFS and I think he got all of his controls setup properly now .

Thanks John. I will persevere :)

• Like 3

I've tried MSFS twice and gone down in flames twice. Actually, I couldn't even getting the parking brake to disengage the first run. At age 79, I finally said that life for me is literally too short for this and went back to good old P3D4. All that said, I stand in awe of all who successfully move into the new sim and do envy you your experience with what is truly a game-changer. You are in a new world, and it sounds lovely.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I've tried MSFS twice and gone down in flames twice. Actually, I couldn't even getting the parking brake to disengage the first run. At age 79, I finally said that life for me is literally too short for this and went back to good old P3D4. All that said, I stand in awe of all who successfully move into the new sim and do envy you your experience with what is truly a game-changer. You are in a new world, and it sounds lovely.

Thanks Rodger. Don't talk to me about the parking brake - my Spitfire tips over regularly on take off. I think that I have switched it to off, but haven't. About 50:50 so far!

Very early stages for me, but whilst the graphics in MSFS are indeed a game-changer, I am not yet convinced that the rest of the sim is better than the other two that I know and love. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Paul, I got it just about down now.  If you need help send me an email.

Thank you Jack. Well done my friend. I might indeed send you an email for help if things don't get easier.

• Like 4

Just now, paulb said:

Thank you Jack. Well done my friend. I might indeed send you an email for help if things don't get easier.

I have learned maybe 95% of it already and am going to soon make flights.  Just need to get SimBrief working.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I have learned maybe 95% of it already and am going to soon make flights.  Just need to get SimBrief working.  

Wow! Very well done Jack. I will keep trying!

• Like 2

Paul I'm 81 next month and I didn't even progress to P3D for all the reasons you mention - the slowing of the mind and body as I age (this differs individually) means my time has to be priority rationed and I have therefore remained a FSX dinosaur quite happily.  So if your individuality and health allow you to remain at the "sharp edge" go for it!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has a problem at first in that its so different from other sims, but after spending a little time just messing around with it a while, it's really not that hard Paul. At 79 I learned it rather quickly. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Paul I'm 81 next month and I didn't even progress to P3D for all the reasons you mention - the slowing of the mind and body as I age (this differs individually) means my time has to be priority rationed and I have therefore remained a FSX dinosaur quite happily.  So if your individuality and health allow you to remain at the "sharp edge" go for it!

Well done TT. God willing, I too will be simming when I get into my eighties :).  FSX is still a great sim. Plenty of Orbx scenery and lots of good freeware!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Everyone has a problem at first in that its so different from other sims, but after spending a little time just messing around with it a while, it's really not that hard Paul. At 79 I learned it rather quickly. :) 

Gosh Adam, the way you quickly adopted MSFS made me think that you were younger than me! I will persevere, even at my rate of two steps forward and one step back! :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/3/2022 at 7:00 AM, paulb said:

No doubt MSFS is a great sim, and I will persevere for now, but I am starting to feel my age.............

I'm starting to feel it too. Most days I feel I'm just about too old for anything. I'll be 80 years old in a few months and about the only thing I really enjoy these days is sex 2-3 times a night.........Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I'm starting to feel it too. Most days I feel I'm just about too old for anything. I'll be 80 years old in a few months and about the only thing I really enjoy these days is sex 2-3 times a night.........Doug

You lucky guy!:lol:

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

Sheesh - you youngsters -;) why so worried - age as nowt to do with it - its an excuse  - it is just logical thought and patience - and the older

you get - you learn both - don't you ??

As to MSFS - if you can fly in P3D or XP - MSFS is a doddle - Just don't ignore the Default set ups - especially in Honeycomb - when

the controls section recognises the hardware

As for Camera settings - what you found easy in XP - is just the same in MSFS - set the scene - with control alpha and a number

- or a key - then Alpha +number for bringing up the cockpit /external views 

- and the drone is a great addition - just look at the settings

just get a cheap games controller - all the camera angles in each category have been set if you want to use them - they are just at the

bottom of of each setting list.

3 days ago - I wanted to try out one of my old aircraft in P3D - and after waiting for some 20 mins to get to the actual aircraft at where I wanted it

I found that I had forgotten all my controls and when I tried to redo them  I felt like a right dill - just like you blokes and:D after another 30 mins

I gave up and went back to MSFS 

Oh yes !! I am 87 next month:wacko::o  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I think using these sims is actually really good for our brains, keeps them working hard, hopefully when I am a bit older this would've helped my mind by staying active.....I am a keen user of lists though!!!...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Well Doug, you must be a lucky man ;):lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Sheesh - you youngsters -;) why so worried - age as nowt to do with it - its an excuse  - it is just logical thought and patience - and the older

you get - you learn both - don't you ??

As to MSFS - if you can fly in P3D or XP - MSFS is a doddle - Just don't ignore the Default set ups - especially in Honeycomb - when

the controls section recognises the hardware

As for Camera settings - what you found easy in XP - is just the same in MSFS - set the scene - with control alpha and a number

- or a key - then Alpha +number for bringing up the cockpit /external views 

- and the drone is a great addition - just look at the settings

just get a cheap games controller - all the camera angles in each category have been set if you want to use them - they are just at the

bottom of of each setting list.

3 days ago - I wanted to try out one of my old aircraft in P3D - and after waiting for some 20 mins to get to the actual aircraft at where I wanted it

I found that I had forgotten all my controls and when I tried to redo them  I felt like a right dill - just like you blokes and:D after another 30 mins

I gave up and went back to MSFS 

Oh yes !! I am 87 next month:wacko::o  :D

Congratulations John :). For years I regularly swapped between 3 sims - FSX, P3D and X Plane. Now MSFS has replaced FSX on my pc. But I still use P3D and XP 11 often - maybe that's my problem? ;):lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I think using these sims is actually really good for our brains, keeps them working hard, hopefully when I am a bit older this would've helped my mind by staying active.....I am a keen user of lists though!!!...

That's what my wife tells me - do a crossword or go flying! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, wain71 said:

Much agreed :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

As I started this thread about five weeks ago, an update seemed appropriate :).

Well, apart from family, jobs around the house and so on, MSFS has been my main focus. I have tried it almost every day and spent time on the internet looking for answers to the many questions that I had. I think that I am finally getting there! :D

I still have much to learn and explore, but the basics are now second nature to me. It is a great simulator with amazing graphics.

So, the point of this post is - perseverance. Even getting older, it's surprising what one can still learn. Yes, often two steps forward and one step back, but the effort can bring rewards.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, paulb said:

As I started this thread about five weeks ago, an update seemed appropriate :).

Well, apart from family, jobs around the house and so on, MSFS has been my main focus. I have tried it almost every day and spent time on the internet looking for answers to the many questions that I had. I think that I am finally getting there! :D

I still have much to learn and explore, but the basics are now second nature to me. It is a great simulator with amazing graphics.

So, the point of this post is - perseverance. Even getting older, it's surprising what one can still learn. Yes, often two steps forward and one step back, but the effort can bring rewards.

Drat, Paul, now I may have to swallow and give it another try :huh::D

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Drat, Paul, now I may have to swallow and give it another try :huh::D

Go on Rodger, give it a go! One thing that helped me was to avoid my other sims whilst I was getting up to speed. That avoided confusion in my head :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 4:00 AM, paulb said:

Just posting to let off some steam :rolleyes:

I have been using FSX, P3Dv4 and XP11 over the past decade and more - so I am now familiar them.

Last year I purchased a new pc for MSFS. Because of family health issues and deaths I have been away from simming for a while.

This last month I have found myself with free time to get back into simming. I started setting up P3D and XP first and even bought new add-ons for the new pc.

This past week I have focused on MSFS. It is doing my head in! Trying to set up the different controls (especially camera view :unsure:) has become very frustrating.

It is all very new and different.

Despite having used pc's and sims since the early/mid eighties, I am starting to wonder if I am getting too old for trying something new.

I seem to take ages setting up the basics or sometimes instead do it too quickly and then have to go back and correct things :(.

I have the same experience and I am a programmer... also a looong term flyer in DCS (SU27). 

This is the definition of wanting to know the time and having to learn how to build a watch.

Gotta lover the camera views, when did "translate" become a verb for movement.  Its hard to find good script writers.

Im pretty sure there very easily found standard words for all of the camera movement text... move turn rotate forward back spin matriculate ... 90' 180 ' 360 '

Zoom Focus etc.

The process of creating most software seems to include designers from many separate countries and backgrounds all working separately (from Upwork ?) with various vocabularies and ways to interpret.  Some even read from right to left ... its no wonder the logic escapes some of us.  It never quite comes together.  MSFS has such goofy button assignment issues and some not included at all ... No WIPERS, No TOGA, No Take Off TRIM.  But they have "SET CABIN lights" . . . whisky Tango F... what does set mean. . . what exactly does Toggle mean.  To all of this as in the Princes Bride " I don thin dat mees wah u think id mees."  etc.  Perhaps they could define it.  Selecting Engine Reverse doesnt reverse the engines but Throttle Decrease does ! 

But hey its only $60 gotta love that.

I would suggest a heavy review prior to release by USERS !  ITs a management issue all the way.  Currently I am fighting with Orbx to run with XPLANE and MSFS not to

crash for no reason,  and Assetto Corsa no longer loads from STeam, Why is there STEAM,  A spy in the sky a Tickitron for the SIM industry.

The worst of it is I cant login to the MSFS FOrums because of a continual "OOPS... screen"  how embarassing for them.

Every SIM has a platform and eco system that has spawned an industry for APP addons and 3D printer devices.  Hardware is always better than new software 

All these Sims have a devious long term Con in mind unfortunately . . . All but XPLANE it would appear.  At least we are flying and driving ( some of the time).

I think the best answer is there are so many people who enjoy this process due to bad habits they are trying shake.  The more time consuming the better. 

• Like 2