This Week's Meaningless Topic (#66) (Dec 11)

On 12/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, Sniper31 said:

When I have been told "Thank you for your Service" from fellow U.S. citizens and residents.

Landon

I most heartily agree, Landon!!  It is a wonderful change from the Vietnam period when servicemen and veterans were reviled. Having my service recognized with gratitude is a great feeling.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

I most heartily agree, Landon!!  It is a wonderful change from the Vietnam period when servicemen and veterans were reviled. Having my service recognized with gratitude is a great feeling.

Ken

You know Ken, every time I meet a Vietnam Veteran, I take time to have a discussion with them. I want them to know, that Veterans from my generation get the appreciation that we get now because of the utter horrible treatment that they received. I want them to know that there are Veterans out there now, my peers, that understand that, and that they, the Vietnam Vets, have our utmost respect. It is very important to me.

Landon

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I want them to know that there are Veterans out there now, my peers, that understand that, and that they, the Vietnam Vets, have our utmost respect. It is very important to me.

So true, Landon, so true! The same holds true now for soldiers, who have fought in Irak or more recently, in Afghanistan. When the last German soldiers returned from Afghanistan, there was nobody there at the airport to greet them, not even our minister of defence. How shameful is that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

So true, Landon, so true! The same holds true now for soldiers, who have fought in Irak or more recently, in Afghanistan. When the last German soldiers returned from Afghanistan, there was nobody there at the airport to greet them, not even our minister of defence. How shameful is that!

That is sad and unfortunate. Maybe one day those German Veterans will get their due respect. I for one appreciate any countries Veterans that I have deployed to the same theater with. They are like bothers and sisters to me :) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 12/14/2021 at 11:47 AM, Sniper31 said:

You know Ken, every time I meet a Vietnam Veteran, I take time to have a discussion with them. I want them to know, that Veterans from my generation get the appreciation that we get now because of the utter horrible treatment that they received. I want them to know that there are Veterans out there now, my peers, that understand that, and that they, the Vietnam Vets, have our utmost respect. It is very important to me.

Landon

I still remember being called a baby killer when I mustered out in '71.   Still proud that I served and never thought any less of those that did not.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1