This Week's Meaningless Topic (#48)(Aug 7)

Hi all. Many years ago when the folk music craze was at its height, I attended shows by Peter, Paul, and Mary, and by the Kingston Trio. They were wonderful. That suggests this week's Meaningless Topic. Get out the nostalgia book and share a page.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What live music concert have you personally enjoyed most?

• Like 1

Stone the Crows at Hull City Hall. (UK)

Their lead guitarist had recently been killed and they wrote "Sunset Cowboy" in his memory.

The memory was new and raw and the singer, Maggie Bell, was superb.

There were few dry eyes when it ended.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Queen, my first live concert BTW.

Could also have been Paul McCartney last Summer, but a virus caused the cancellation.

Very jealous of you being able to see Queen live Gerold....very jealous. 

My most memorable live concert was Tom Petty, back around 1989...he was one heck of a performer live. 

• Like 5

Growing up across the bay from San Francisco in the 60's I was treated to free, live concerts at Golden Gate Park with Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead playing often.  Most fun concert in recent times was in Seattle August 2019 to see the Rolling Stones!   Amazing performance.  Saw them at Altamont Pass in 1969 too but the Seattle one was the best.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

The Jam in I think 79.... however most fun for me was a couple of years ago at the O2 arena in London watching Madness with the wife, just superb fun.... some of you may have to Google Madness but I grew up listening to them and similar stuff....

• Like 4

Too Many stand outs to select one from them All:

1 Col Joye with Little Pattie and Judy Stone - Rabaul Rugby Ground early 1960s (my band supported I played bass)

2 Slim Dusty and Family on Many occasions both in Australia and TPNG

3 JR Cash and Family on 30th Anniversary Tour with jump up acoustic jam by Waylon Jennings and JR by themselves - Brisbane Festival Hall 1980

4 Glen Campbell and Band supported by Blood Sweat and Tears - Twin Towns RSL 1982

5 Bob Dylan and His Band - Darwin Gardens Amphitheater 1997

Apologies to many other great performers seen since early 1950s

Edited by TerribleT
  • Like 3

Andre Rieu and orchestra in Maastricht doing one of his summer concerts in Vrijthof Square.

Russel Watson turning on the Christmas Lights in Covent Garden, the more we applauded the more he kept singing

• Like 1

I was in my late teens having only just arrived in Australia.  Growing up in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) we never/rarely had chart topping international artists. My uncle who had lived here for years took me and my siblings to my first concert which will be my most memorable - it was the band America

My jaw dropped when I heard them play "Horse with no name"

:) Graeme

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/7/2021 at 12:12 AM, Rob Abernathy said:

Saw them at Altamont Pass in 1969 too

There's nothing like a free Stones concert to draw a crowd. I wasn't there but I lived only 25 miles away in San Ramon. And that's a day we "locals" remember too (if for nothing else than the traffic on 580). December 6, 1969. Wow...where have all the years gone? Sigh. The story of the Stones concert that day at the Altamont Pass Speedway will always be remembered by so many people for so many reasons...both the good things and the bad things. For all the many who have no idea what we're talking about there's more info here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Free_Concert .

P.S. How long did it take you to get there Rob? And to get back home? :)

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2