This Week's Meaningless Topic (#35) (May 8)

Hi all. Most of us do our sim flying in short flights, time permitting. That leads us to this week's Meaningless Topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: You can fly a Piper Super Cub for a one-thousand mile trip. What is your point of origin and point of destination?

• Like 1

Once flew a C120 from Charleston WVA to Anchorage AK (4100) miles - stops at West Lafayette IN/Cedar Rapids IA/Rapid City SD/Billings MT overnight/Calgary AB/Edmonton AB overnight/Grand Prairie AB/Fort Nelson NT overnight/Watson Lake YT/Whitehorse  YT overnight/Burwash Landing YT/ Northway AK/ Merrill Field Anchorage AK. 

• Like 4

I'd guess the flight I'm in the midst of would qualify.  OS9 Jefferson County, WA to KPSP, Palm Springs, CA.  900 miles direct, but we rarely do anything "direct".  So far, OS9-KHQM-77S.  Then south KMFR, KRDD, KSAC.  Maybe a detour to Monterey (KMRY).  Then KFAT, KBFL, KWJF, then through Cajon Pass to KPSP.  Only I prefer to do this in my Mooney.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

No doubt about it. Leave Damascus toward Cairo. Pick up the Nile at Giza and follow it south to Abu Simbel. There is so much history to see on that flight that it boggles the mind.

• Like 4

Start at Everett's Paine Field north of Seattle, Washington. To The Dalles on the Washington/Oregon border. To Bend, Oregon. To Medford, Oregon. To Redding, California. To Sacramento, California. To San Francisco. Great views of all the major mountains of the Cascades.

• Like 4

I would start at Fairbanks to Anchorage then down to Yakutat finally arriving at Juneau. If that wasn't quite the 1000 then up to Skagway.:)

Alternatively if I wanted something closer to home I could do 136 circuits of my local airport, YSHT,  assuming each one was 7.35 miles.:wacko:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I would fly along the Alps from Vienna to St. Tropez. But perhaps not with the Piper Cub...

In that plane a safer routing would be my choice, even with a little final 100 mile-extra from Moorabbin northwards.

vzWeobz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Never in my lifetime would I make a 1000 mile journey in a Piper Cub, my butt wouldn't permit it. :D

Now that I think about it you're probably right. I can't even take a 500 mile journey my son's ZO6 Corvette.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I would fly along the Alps from Vienna to St. Tropez. But perhaps not with the Piper Cub...

In that plane a safer routing would be my choice, even with a little final 100 mile-extra from Moorabbin northwards.

vzWeobz.jpg

A grand tour Gerold and we will have the kettle at the ready with the red carpet rolled out for your arrival!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, adambar said:

Never in my lifetime would I make a 1000 mile journey in a Piper Cub, my butt wouldn't permit it. :D

No one said it had to be non-stop.  Stop as often as you like and have a few beers:)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, lifejogger said:

No one said it had to be non-stop.  Stop as often as you like and have a few beers:)

No need to stop, stock the plane with beer, garlic baloney sandwiches and keep on going. Oh, your probably going to need a catheter as well. :D

• Haha 3

On 5/12/2021 at 2:15 AM, adambar said:

No need to stop, stock the plane with beer, garlic baloney sandwiches and keep on going. Oh, your probably going to need a catheter as well. :D

I had a gadget which was essentially a plastic can with an appropriately shaped funnel - on the can was printed H.E.R.E for Human Element Range Extender.  Came in real handy many times :).

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Of course this discussion is ignoring the limitations of the Piper Cub.  Details vary depending on model, but typically you can expect a cruise speed of about 75 kt and a range of perhaps 190 NM, or about 2.5 hours maximum endurance.  Even this P. C. survivor (10 years out) can manage 2.5 hrs without resorting to the H.E.R.E.  So Adambar, your butt can rejoice in the fact that that 1000 miles will require at least five stops, and also be relieved by the fact that the wallet in the back pocket will get lighter paying for meals and hotel rooms along the way.   Also keep in mind that for grand tours of the PNW expect a service ceiling of 11500.  So Rodger's challenge is just that.  1000 miles in a Cub, especially in a mountainous area is not for the faint of heart. I like the idea, but not, at this point in my life, so interested in extreme challenges, I'll do it in the Mooney.  

Ken

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Of course this discussion is ignoring the limitations of the Piper Cub.  Details vary depending on model, but typically you can expect a cruise speed of about 75 kt and a range of perhaps 190 NM, or about 2.5 hours maximum endurance.  Even this P. C. survivor (10 years out) can manage 2.5 hrs without resorting to the H.E.R.E.  So Adambar, your butt can rejoice in the fact that that 1000 miles will require at least five stops, and also be relieved by the fact that the wallet in the back pocket will get lighter paying for meals and hotel rooms along the way.   Also keep in mind that for grand tours of the PNW expect a service ceiling of 11500.  So Rodger's challenge is just that.  1000 miles in a Cub, especially in a mountainous area is not for the faint of heart. I like the idea, but not, at this point in my life, so interested in extreme challenges, I'll do it in the Mooney.  

Ken

Hey Ken, it was a Super Cub -- 2,000 nm range, 325 mph speed top, 20,000' ceiling. All that from the same old 65 hp. :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Ken, it was a Super Cub -- 2,000 nm range, 325 mph speed top, 20,000' ceiling. All that from the same old 65 hp. :lol:

Hi Rodger, curious about where you found these figures.  The AOPA fact sheet gives the figures for the PA 18-150.  DNE (Red Line): 120 kts.  Max Structural Cruise: 94 kts.  Fuel Capacity. 36 gal.  Fuel burn 9 GPH. That would give about 4 hours endurance, or about 375 miles without reserves. It does have a Service Ceiling of 21,300 ft, but at an initial Climb Rate of 960 fpm, which of course rabidly decreases with altitude, it will take a while to get there.  There is a 160 and 180 HP model as well, and these would have somewhat better performance, but I don't think we'd see 325 mph or 2000 mile range.

Ken

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Hi Rodger, curious about where you found these figures.  The AOPA fact sheet gives the figures for the PA 18-150.  DNE (Red Line): 120 kts.  Max Structural Cruise: 94 kts.  Fuel Capacity. 36 gal.  Fuel burn 9 GPH. That would give about 4 hours endurance, or about 375 miles without reserves. It does have a Service Ceiling of 21,300 ft, but at an initial Climb Rate of 960 fpm, which of course rabidly decreases with altitude, it will take a while to get there.  There is a 160 and 180 HP model as well, and these would have somewhat better performance, but I don't think we'd see 325 mph or 2000 mile range.

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Hey Ken. I made them up. What's the good of being a writer of fiction is you can't make stuff up? :)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Ken. I made them up. What's the good of being a writer of fiction is you can't make stuff up? :)

Well, if you convinced Adambar to believe you, he and his sore butt would be out to get you, once he persuaded his legs to work again.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rob Abernathy said:

On a lighter and aviation note I survived a wheels up landing in an Grumman S2 at NAS Corpus Christi once!  Pretty exciting to say the least.

I got a ride in the COD version of this aircraft, the C1A.  The assistant navigator was doing night touch-and-goes to maintain is quals.  Great fun until I got air sick.  This was at Quonset Point.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Late as usual

Lands End -  EGPC - to Jon O'Groats - EGPC (nearest) 

A famous cricketer once hiked the 1000 miles for charity

Who was it?

Hey John. I think there's a joke here (?) but I'm not getting it. Could you explain it to this dense old fella ???

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

It certainly was

RP can be forgiven if he thought that Beafy Botham was a joke

We in Australia never thought so !!

Hey John. Botham wasn't my sticking point. I didn't get the idea of a 1000-mile trip from EGPC to EGPC. Isn't that the same starting and ending point? :huh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey John. Botham wasn't my sticking point. I didn't get the idea of a 1000-mile trip from EGPC to EGPC. Isn't that the same starting and ending point? :huh:

Whoops - al - al - al - whatsisnames at work 

EGHC - EGPC:huh:

• Like 1