Development update on openLC Asia

Orbx

On 1/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ed Correia said:

Happy New Year all, and time for some previews :)

We are getting closer to that beta, but please bear in mind that this a quite a large project. Regardless, development is making good progress considering the overall scale. Once we are in that testing phase you can expect some more previews!

Thank you for this preview Ed. OLC Asia does look very good and I cannot wait for it. This easy to miss preview hidden in this thread was a nice surprise to get the week started.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic that you're going ahead with this.

I'm another one who's dabbled in MSFS and come back to P3Dv5, mainly because of lack of proper multi-screen support and worse (DX11) performance.  I also feel the aircraft handle better.  And it will be quite a while before the SDK allows the development of study-level aircraft.

In the long run one thing some people forget is that this isn't a FS9 vs FSX situation - the two products are from different and competing companies, Lockheed Martin needs P3D for a lot of value-added products, and so as the limitations of MSFS are sorted out so will further development occur in P3D.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Great! After ~15 years of simming (FSX, P3D..) I tried MFSF2020 for a month. I 'll hold my comment on this... but I 'm back in P3Dv5.1 with EA and I 'm sooooooo glad!! I find that it 's far more realistic on every level and it has great potential to become better and as realistic as it can get.  For me this one would be an immediate purchase.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Labelling any area "EAST" - or West for that matter - should be a No NO

and regions are specific geographically - and sometimes marked by trade organizations.

Once upon a time - Asia was - and sometimes - still is - the "Far East"

To those of us who live in Asia - Yes!! - Australia is a country in Asia -(Asian Trade Region) -

the Far East is Europe  - the Near East - is  The Pacific Ocean  and the Middle East - the Americas and Canada - :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The first part should be almost done. I only know whether I can do the second part and the third part now? In addition, most of the flyers have stopped flying MFS and turned back to P3D. I know that the professional simulation flight platform in recent years is still P3D. I hope Orbx can also be a landmark or city in Asia, such as Tokyo, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur and Manila. We are looking forward to it in P3D.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Nonetheless, Eugene is practically on this 7 days a week and this is no mean feat!

The first area has also increased slightly in size (red shaded area) to make more efficient use of landclass textures.

Fantastic update, Ed, thanks a lot for this.

a) Take your time on making the product meet our expectations (you know Orbx has raised the bar over the last decade...)

b) Great to read the Himalaya is already included in part 1. That will be awful flying experience for us!

c) Nice preview shots. I have done numerous travels through India and will enjoy repeating them virtually.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, xuehua china said:

I hope Orbx can also be a landmark or city in Asia, such as Guangzhou, Shanghai,

No way to give a proper replication of chinese cities in any sim: They change faster in real life than any programmer could update their software :D

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic update, Ed, thanks a lot for this.

a) Take your time on making the product meet our expectations (you know Orbx has raised the bar over the last decade...)

b) Great to read the Himalaya is already included in part 1. That will be awful flying experience for us!

c) Nice preview shots. I have done numerous travels through India and will enjoy repeating them virtually.

Hope that’s a typo in point b) being an awful (awesome?) flying experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

I remember my flight around the world back in UK Lockdown 1 - FSX. All those memory crashes! Anyway Asia was a BIG part of that rtw trip.. 

Highlights included New Dehli,  coming in over -Himalayas to Bagdogra Darjeeling.. then onto Rangoon,

over the jungle mountains and then Hanoi before skirting the coast to busy Hong Kong and bad storms into Shanghai.

The fact that I spent so much time just getting the various airports and meshes to work means I am readily licking my lips at the thought of these places in OpenLC Prepar3d 5.1

Can’t wait!!

Edited by David Woodford
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:59 AM, Ed Correia said:

Hi all, small update and new previews.

Development is taking longer than anticipated as the P3Dv5 variant is needing a whole lot more work in terms of exclusion of secondary and tertiary roads. Without these exclusions, we are seeing a mass of minor roads cutting through our landscape textures which does not do it any justice. This is quite pronounced on the Indian subcontinent.

We are also ensuring that it will work with the Vector product being present or not so that is also increasing the workload. Nonetheless, Eugene is practically on this 7 days a week and this is no mean feat!

The first area has also increased slightly in size (red shaded area) to make more efficient use of landclass textures.

OLC_AZ1.jpg

2-e5333d076704be76baf77c03790a7aca.jpg

2-df60f5deb63ef04fd12a19e55619a911.jpg

2-a371b840f113f65bab2d8bba76b2f601.jpg

2-8afb0757ca887378e37a61a172822a65.jpg

2-9ea0a93b4e3d7ccd049e9fcd6d371fdf.jpg

2-8bd26943be8ef2a3b598429d1ffbb8e4.jpg

2-3acf45f88653ea6b39576ac052be680a.jpg

2-b1fdb3205cb2fec03825db00c24caeee.jpg

2-1e4cb46c141b8437aa11ed05b8124bdb.jpg

Hey really great work ya! Would love to see famous cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Lahore, Kathmandu included too in this!

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you for the preview, these are looking fantastic! P3D 5?

On a side note, your clouds are looking great, too.

P3Dv4.5 :) 

Clouds:

- dynamic cloud lighting shader from this site https://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/189159-нежная-атмосфера/?do=findComment&comment=4363933

- clouds texture SF REX

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eugene Krikunov said:

P3Dv4.5 :) 

Clouds:

- dynamic cloud lighting shader from this site https://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/189159-нежная-атмосфера/?do=findComment&comment=4363933

- clouds texture SF REX

Thank you Eugene, I have no permission to download it because I'm a guest user there. I might have to sign up.

I've been unable to install products away from the root, so please post some HDD size requirements.  Perhaps in the future someone clever can figure out how to install Orbx products out of the FSX root.  I'd like to buy more Orbx but don't have the HDD room.