Development update on openLC Asia

Orbx

On 6/3/2021 at 9:56 AM, dave302 said:

Hopefully they'll post some more screenshots soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a Q2 release.

Dave

Mmm, Q2 looking very doubtful at this point.

Q3 release, maybe?  :unsure: 

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Next week is my birthday and I wonder if I'm going to be able to enjoy a certain birthday present? B);)

I would be happy if someone could get you that certain birthday present. Even a headline like "My first shots" would be another reason to celebrate...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Next week is my birthday and I wonder if I'm going to be able to enjoy a certain birthday present? B);)

Hehe, my birthday is this weekend so Friday would be perfect :lol:

Or maybe True Earth Dubai for XP :blink:

We can only wish :wub:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I would be happy if someone could get you that certain birthday present. Even a headline like "My first shots" would be another reason to celebrate...

2 hours ago, ftwd said:

Hehe, my birthday is this weekend so Friday would be perfect :lol:

Or maybe True Earth Dubai for XP :blink:

We can only wish :wub:

Today FB's Auckland came out finally, a nice present. Southworld's Joburg for P4.5 was cancelled though, it's only gonna be for P5. Joy and tears... :(

• Like 1

Well, I'd like to congratulate Orbx on missing an opportunity. As early as a few weeks ago I was hoping and willing to buy OpenLC Asia. At this point we have had a couple of more developers bow out of P3D development and at this point I am going to close the P3D door here too. So at this point, if Asia releases, there is no point for me - I have cut off all P3D purchases and uninstalled most aircraft except PMDG and FSLabs. Once PMDG brings their 737 at the end of summer, it's gonna be over for me in terms of having P3D installed. So long, and thanks for all the fish. ;)

See you all in MSFS land again. Cheers! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

See you all in MSFS land again. Cheers! 

What you are doing is counterproductive. If many think like you, it would be understandable that Orbx cancels the development of Landclass Asia and focusses even more on MSFS.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, wolfko said:

What you are doing is counterproductive. If many think like you, it would be understandable that Orbx cancels the development of Landclass Asia and focusses even more on MSFS.

I second what you say, Wolfgang. Even more, I still stick with P3D.

The only truth is the current, the total and the expected sales figures - which might be a well-kept secret. And, obviuosly, the consistent partnership with long-time customers, who continue to enjoy such a reliable relation (whatever this is valid...).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

Counterproductive to what exactly? That is the entire point I was making. I was waiting for this. Q2 as promised has come and gone with a long time without any updates. I am no longer interested in buying it. And I can’t imagine I am the only one… so if they do cancel it, it’s understandable. This opportunity has been missed as more and more users and developers leave the P3D ecosystem. MilViz, Aerosoft, JustFlight, FlySimWare… and possibly PMDG soon. That’s a hefty list of losses. Do you think users are gonna stick around forever? YOU may. Some others too… but a lot of people have waited a long time and now that development for the platform has ended from many developers, so has the interest in sticking with the platform for the users as the competition is making quick progress in terms of availability of high fidelity aircraft and scenery. Why sink more money into a quickly depreciating platform that is content with a glacial pace of its development? Orbx Asia was long overdue. I am simply expressing my own individual experience on this: I am out. Too long, too silent, too late.

I don't agree. Because MFS is not complete at this stage, landscape can't support the whole product. P3D needs to be more complete, whether it's integrity, plug-in adaptability and overall stability. When pmdg737 can support MFS is still unknown. Landscape developers mostly use the existing landscape for transplantation. MFS can't fly a complete route. The market of LC in Asia is very large, It's not that no one flies P3D, but more people fly P3D than MFS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, xuehua china said:

I don't agree. Because MFS is not complete at this stage, landscape can't support the whole product. P3D needs to be more complete, whether it's integrity, plug-in adaptability and overall stability. When pmdg737 can support MFS is still unknown. Landscape developers mostly use the existing landscape for transplantation. MFS can't fly a complete route. The market of LC in Asia is very large, It's not that no one flies P3D, but more people fly P3D than MFS.

Just about everything you said is either old information or false. PMDG 737 should be out by the end of summer and their 777 is possibly before the end of the year. You can definitely fly a complete route in MSFS and it IS very much complete (I am currently flying to Chengdu in a PMDG DC-6) - that's why you see developers abandoning P3D. More people fly P3D than MSFS? Please... Look at even last year's Navigraph survey, let alone this year. 

Edited by BostonJeremy77
  • Like 3

Hello,

it would be a good thing if contributors could restrain themselves from constant comparisons.

As has been mentioned often, the making of an openLC product for an entire continent is a herculean

task and no amount of asking "is it ready yet" will bring its completion any closer.

It has nothing to do with whether this that or the other simulator is better, the same or worse than the rest.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This sim comparing is annoying now, especially when xuehua is completely incorrect, the points made are very outdated and proven wrong. That being said at least Orbx develops for both sims (for how long who knows) just be grateful P3D is getting some attention as other devs are becoming MSFS only.

End of the day use whatever sim you want, people still use FSX, so P3D is still a viable option, just like MSFS is viable as a sim “that can fly a full route”, P3D probably will receive less attention going forward as the already tiny P3D user base continues to decrease 

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 3

There is a type of people that just can't let others have their cake, and apparently, there is a type of simmer that just can't let Orbx develop a landclass scenery for P3D. Just because THEY have switched to another simulator, everyone else has to do the same, and developing a product for a simulator other than their's is a complete no-go. While they state that their sim is the best and the only one and the future, they are extremely afraid of a company directing their resources to another simulator. If it happens, the only reason can be a misjudgement of this company, which must have lost the bright future of their preferred sim out of sight.

A quick look at the navigraph survey reveals the "tiny P3D user base": 2020: https://blog.navigraph.com/post/640055551804489728/flightsim-community-2020-survey-results

Confirmed by a poll in this forums: 

As the old silly meme goes:

They protecc

they attacc

but most importantly

OpenLC Asia is on tracc.

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

有一种人不能让别人吃蛋糕,显然,有一种煮沸,只是不能让Orbx开发一个陆地级风景P3D。仅仅因为他们已经切换到另一个模拟器,其他人也必须这样做,开发一个模拟器以外的产品是完全不行的。虽然他们说,他们的SIM卡是最好的,也是唯一的一个和未来,他们非常害怕一个公司将他们的资源转移到另一个模拟器。如果真的发生了,唯一的原因可能是对这家公司的误判,这一定是失去了他们喜欢的SIM卡的光明未来。

快速查看导航图调查,就会发现"微小的P3D用户群":2020:https://blog.navigraph.com/post/640055551804489728/flightsim-community-2020-survey-results

通过此论坛的民意调查确认:

正如老愚蠢的模因去:

他们普罗特克

他们阿特塔克

但最重要的是

开放LC亚洲正在艰难地进行。

When they started flying MFs, they wanted the landscape developers to develop it wholeheartedly. This is a selfish attitude. Here, I and more than 1000 of my flying friends have been waiting for the Asian LC. They will not go to the forum. They are from China, Japan, South Korea and Singapore. We have been flying in places with LC, The reason why we don't fly MFS is that there is no aircraft model and accurate real-time weather at present, but if we want to fly continuously, only p3dv5 is suitable. We can fly 747F 777f fsl320 321 319 737NG. These high-end aircraft models are not available on other platforms, let alone for several months

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When they started flying MFs, they wanted the landscape developers to develop it wholeheartedly. This is a selfish attitude. Here, I and more than 1000 of my flying friends have been waiting for the Asian LC. They will not go to the forum. They are from China, Japan, South Korea and Singapore. We have been flying in places with LC, The reason why we don't fly MFS is that there is no aircraft model and accurate real-time weather at present, but if we want to fly continuously, only p3dv5 is suitable. We can fly 747F 777f fsl320 321 319 737NG. These high-end aircraft models are not available on other platforms, let alone for several months

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Captain Lars, firstly if you took my comments as Orbx shouldn't develop Asia, sorry I didn't mean that. Of course it's a good thing Orbx are still developing for P3D, my question is how long for. MSFS is the future (whether people like it or not), I say this as the official word from Aerosoft (i.e. the biggest flight sim dev/publisher) have said sales for P3D have tanked i.e. next to nothing, Orbx may be seeing different but how can companies develop for P3D if it's no longer commercial viable?

Secondly the polls, both polls are significantly outdated , your poll was released what 2 months after release when the sim was no where near the point it now, and the navigraph one which is probably more accurate as it has a larger sample of people, is again out of date, a navigraph poll late this year will be more accurate. Just a point the P3D user base at it's height had 30,000 users (according to aerosoft) where MSFS has sold around 2 million copies pre xbox release, so yes the MSFS user base dwarfs the P3D user base.

@xuehua china, same points to you, I'm not saying there's not a market for Asia, there is, albeit a small (and a getting smaller market), you obviously don't like or want to use MSFS and that's fine, but please stop writing incorrect and outdated facts about MSFS as you obviously haven't used it recently, there IS accurate real time weather and is still being improved, that stament was true months ago, but not now. Also there is accurate aircraft models. there's the CRJ, DC-6, just flight's PA28 and the fairly decent FBW A320neo, before you say study level, as it stands PMDG's 737NG3 will release in the next couple of months, with the 777 potentially releasing this year, and the 747 by Q2 2022, we also have the QW 787 releasing soon and a study level A320 just been announced. As well as others

Gentleman, this conversation is pointless and not needed, at the end of the day, as I said, people can use any and all sims currently on the market. OpenLC Asia is still in development, that's all that matters for this thread, all I was questioning is the longevity of development for P3D

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 1

I think we can all come down with sim comparisons, mates:

- many of us are longing for OLC Asia for P3D (and I hope to see some news soon).

- many of us are longing for study-level planes for MSFS (what is not the issue of this thread).

And many wait for both, while enjoying what we have.

• Like 2

Let's say that too many things will happen in the future. After all, it's the future. What we want to express is that the plug-in of P3D is as important as the landscape. I don't fly MFs, and I don't say it's bad. I just say it's not suitable for me and my partners. At this stage, it doesn't have FSL and PMDG real passenger aircraft. What you say about the future has nothing to do with us, If the plane and the real-time weather are OK, we'll also fly MFs, but not now. Besides, P3D and MFS are completely two-way things, but P3D is not a niche thing. It's real

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know what @xuehua china, I rather not discuss this anymore because 1) we're not going to agree, 2) you're mis-informed, the future of P3D is unclear, maybe they'll be a v6, maybe not but let's not forget P3D is a sim made for commercial customers, of which people abuse it by buying academic licences. Also P3D isn't going to be updated anywhere near the level MSFS is updated, never has, probably never will be.

I still believe as I haven't seen otherwise, Microsoft still control aspects of P3D, even though LM is the developer, similar to how Asobo develops MSFS, so Microsoft control both and won't have 2 competing sims in a niche market. You'll probably see P3D becoming a commercial only sim and academic licences being scrapped

At the end of the day, @Stillwateris bang on with his assessment at the minute both sims have good things for the future, all I'm doing is questioning the future of development for P3D, and according to Mathijs Kok, and other devlopers who are becoming more and more MSFS exclusive, the future for P3D isn't looking great. Hell even RSR at PMDG has said the reason they will/would only carry on support for P3D is because of the big paying commercial customers, not the average person.

Look at the moment flight simulation, is in a good place MSFS, P3D and X-Plane, and I'm happy for that, whether this will be the case in 1/2/5/10 years who knows, lets agree to disagree and carry on using our choice of sims, as they are all very capable of doing what they are meant to,

• Like 1