Introducing CityScene Charleston for FSX & P3D!

20-c2ffba33a8e0e0192d0962eb12bf45ac.jpg

Journey across one of the most historic cities in North America. The latest in our advanced CityScene products will be the wonderful city of Charleston in South Carolina. As the oldest and largest city in the state is also one of the prettiest with its fantastic array of traditional looking townhouses, historical sites and huge plantations. With over 1150km2 of coverage included, get ready for an exciting trip across one of the most cultural cities in the US.

The city of Charleston is rich in history with well-preserved architecture, which makes it a very desirable city for visitors. The number of tours, stunning sites and friendly locals has helped make the city to receive numerous awards, including “World’s Best City” in 2016.

Developed by Allen Kriesman, CityScene Charleston follows on from his highly successful Orlando and Barcelona sceneries for Prepar3D & FSX. Plenty of real-world data has been processed to recreate memorable views across the downtown area where you can witness the picturesque Rainbow Row or travel around the huge number of plantations and gardens spread throughout the city. As usual with our CityScene products, there are countless points of interest to visit. Charleston is by no means an exception with the inclusion of the Pink House (the oldest stone building in the city), Charleston City Hall and numerous sports stadiums. The incredibly detailed 3D models developed immerse you into the area offering unparalleled views across the diverse city. Will you be the first to find all 41 POIs?

Once you’ve taken in the historic sights, be sure to sweep along the banks of the Ashley River or take a trip up to Daniel Island past the Arthur Ravenel Jr Bridge. James Island is another favourite amongst tourists and locals offering even more historical The number of areas and possibilities with this old city offer a truly unique experience within the simulator.

As an added bonus, many of the surrounding airports have seen a facelift to give pilots the opportunity to land and explore these facilities. Charleston International Airport, included with the package, features custom models of the terminals, satellite imagery, animated people and more. Whilst it doesn't feature the same usual detail as stand-alone airport packages, it's an excellent step up from default. Also included in similar detail is Charleston Executive Airport, Mount Pleasant Airport and two other private airports (SC65 and SC06).

Served by the Charleston International Airport, to the North-West of the downtown areas, you get to see incredible views whatever type of flying you enjoy doing. The ground-breaking technology, which we have been refining over the years, means the over 340,000 custom buildings are more accurate than ever and vegetation, lighting, terrain, traffic, are all fully integrated into the complete multi-seasonal CityScene package.

FEATURES

• Large 1150 sq km scenery coverage area with full seasonal satellite imagery.
  • 5 airports in coverage area (1 international, 2 regional, 2 private)
  • 41 custom POI buildings/objects created for Charleston Scenery Area
  • No Autogen buildings used
  • Over 340,000 custom commercial and residential buildings with appropriate regional textures.
  • Over 3,500 library objects placed from FSX, P3D and Orbx Libraries.
  • Over 25,000 railroad boxcars and shipping containers.
  • Over 80,000 night lights.
  • Over 4,000,000 accurately placed autogen trees.

WHAT IS CITYSCENE?

• Highly detailed city and urban landscapes brought to life
  • Accurate and detailed buildings that go far beyond the limitations of the P3D autogen system
  • Realistic photoreal/satellite orthoimagery base
  • Dense and highly-accurate vegetation placement
  • Road traffic, vector, mesh (DEM) and landclass where required
  • Full 5 seasons (where applicable) and complete night lighting
  • Important POI, landmarks and features modeled

COVERAGE MAP

LaC3FjX.jpg

Keep an eye out - CityScene Charleston is on finals and will be available for purchase soon!

20-e3678d3fa8b834a7cf655c3e4ac96b4c.jpg

20-5a6b700f45b1d4bbcbfd8ac27a24c923.jpg

20-012f27611d6841c12800e37bbfbf6e56.jpg

20-6646395beeb779296a97f77324dc73b7.jpg

20-11382e59cf3602f2858f72bd7ed29c52.jpg

79-266093f4a006eb0e48366e711967f5d6.jpg?

20-d0b58d0cfd82d1d8bdecb90e3fdbac41.jpg

79-55bead313472e929d9b33821bcf527d0.jpg?

79-e99810394dcf9e6c513fb0267731145c.jpg?

20-52176c82dcc9dd47dd1ae8d22543ccd5.jpg

79-2fbbc5efa596358f1b55de8f527d2b32.jpg?

20-51cd5b555a7e1dcd700eef3794c7b461.jpg

79-2bb24aaa24ec3165fa49e487e802c07d.jpg?

20-2e2a6ea516708191a0e7baed562b2535.jpg

20-24b2b5e548b02c3a2693e2c47cdaa385.jpg

79-97b8461c5171c9894504a80a7e1ec308.jpg?

20-d2947e0db81256afa0d83459a738eacc.jpg

Oh hold on!  You did the local airport there and that USAF Base!!  No kidding!

Be sure to hold off on the static aircraft object placement over there, or allow us to deselect that as an option.  I want to see all that big fat C-17 AI traffic goodness populating the ramps over on the AFB side.

This is too cool.  Really hoping to see this little trend continue....

This is just super ! Finally an East Coast city. Can't wait.

Not to be 'nitpicky', but over at 'Patriot's Point' at least change the color of the USS Yorktown's flight deck to gray.

The Yorktown is/was an angle deck carrier - last one I was stationed on.

Why Charleston? Without a legit payware airport in the area the desire (for me) to go there is almost non-existent. Why not a Miami, Atlanta, Boston, or something along those lines where there is a legit payware airport to fly in/out of?

51 minutes ago, Bigt said:

Why Charleston? Without a legit payware airport in the area the desire (for me) to go there is almost non-existent. Why not a Miami, Atlanta, Boston, or something along those lines where there is a legit payware airport to fly in/out of?

I think it's because the developer has a personal connection to the place.  Some of us like to fly around the scenery not just head into an airport and out again.  In fact, for me, the airport is often the least interesting part of the flight.

23 hours ago, JMBIII said:

This is just super ! Finally an East Coast city. Can't wait.

Not to be 'nitpicky', but over at 'Patriot's Point' at least change the color of the USS Yorktown's flight deck to gray.

The Yorktown is/was an angle deck carrier - last one I was stationed on.

I share the enthusiasm, but I concur with JMBill's comment on the Yorktown.  I don't want to be 'nitpicky' either, but this carrier looks nothing like an Essex Class carrier.  Not only was the Yorktown fitted with an angle deck, but the island is wrong. This ship looks more like USS Enterprise (CV 6).  There are enough Essex Class carriers as museums in addition to the Yorktown that it would likely pay to create a more accurate depiction of this class of carrier.

• USS Hornet Museum; Alameda, California – USS Hornet (CV-12)
  • Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum; New York City – USS Intrepid (CV-11)
  • USS Lexington Museum on the Bay; Corpus Christi, Texas – USS Lexington (CV-16)

Ken (ex-U.S.S. Wasp, CVS 18)

021076.jpg

021086.jpg

Let me revise my previous comment on the USS Yorktown.  The depiction in the scenery is quite accurate, but for the USS Yorktown (CV5) which was sunk at Midway.  The cship at Patriots Point is CV 10 which was named after CV 5 after she was sunk.  Here are pictures of the earlier Yorktown.

020548.jpg

020550.jpg

50 minutes ago, epmeikle said:

...I noticed that on your list of POI, the Boeing assembly plant is not included, if it is not, will it be possible to include it in an update?

Thanks,

Errol.

Hi, Errol - It's there. The cluster of buildings in the lower middle of the screen is Boeing. For reference, here's a photo I took of the Boeing facility from a helicopter flying out of CHS last year. ORBX looks like they captured it pretty well.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:43 PM, Ben McClintock said:

20-e3678d3fa8b834a7cf655c3e4ac96b4c.jpg

On 11/21/2019 at 5:33 AM, Bigt said:

FWIW, Charleston is a large and scenic area that has not already been done by any other developer at all.   And,  there are 5 airports in the scenery area.    So, it was done as an experiment more than anything to gauge the interest in very large, but slightly less popular areas.    Unfortunately, I didn't expect it to take 11 months.    It ended up being a very long project.

2 hours ago, epmeikle said:

Thank you for This wonderful scenery of Charleston. I noticed that on your list of POI, the Boeing assembly plant is not included, if it is not, will it be possible to include it in an update?

Thanks,

Errol.

When we mention POI's in CityScene products, we are talking about custom buildings that have to be modeled outside of our software using some type of high end 3D modeling software (like 3DSMax).  Some of these POI's can take a few days to model each.    Others take as little as an hour each.   POI's also have textures unique to that object.

All of the other buildings in our CityScene products are also custom buildings.     But, the they are modeled quickly with our in-house software and use shared texture sheets.    Sometimes, we can get them to look very POI-like though by selecting textures that are very close.    But, we do not have the ability to add an infinite number of details to buildings as you would outside in a 3D modeling package.    Of course, when you have over 300,000 custom modeled buildings, it would be impossible to model them all manually in a 3D modeling package.  

So, just because a building is not on the POI list, it doesn't mean that it is not present at all.    It just means that the modeling might be less accurate (different degrees) than one that was modeled manually using 3D modeling software.

5 hours ago, akriesman said:

When we mention POI's in CityScene products, we are talking about custom buildings that have to be modeled outside of our software using some type of high end 3D modeling software (like 3DSMax).  Some of these POI's can take a few days to model each.    Others take as little as an hour each.   POI's also have textures unique to that object.

All of the other buildings in our CityScene products are also custom buildings.     But, the they are modeled quickly with our in-house software and use shared texture sheets.    Sometimes, we can get them to look very POI-like though by selecting textures that are very close.    But, we do not have the ability to add an infinite number of details to buildings as you would outside in a 3D modeling package.    Of course, when you have over 300,000 custom modeled buildings, it would be impossible to model them all manually in a 3D modeling package.  

So, just because a building is not on the POI list, it doesn't mean that it is not present at all.    It just means that the modeling might be less accurate (different degrees) than one that was modeled manually using 3D modeling software.

I was pleased to see The Citadel -- known as "the West Point of the South" -- is nicely modeled. With a future update please remove the trees from the green square facing the barracks; it's the parade ground, at N32*47.81 W79*58.21 (see attached) . (I attended the Citadel 1956-1958.)1437270017_drillfield.thumb.PNG.d5e10e871e73925cdb962319875a72d6.PNG2068118631_CitadelPOI.thumb.PNG.b00c4b849172fb2f6ac2836ddfebfb38.PNG

Hi

May I suggest something for the Product information on the site?

It happens that i launched the sim and wanted to go to one of the airports near this town. Not being US Citizen I simply don't know the airport codes.

So I came back to Orbx site to search for the airport codes and guess what? They are not mentioned in the text. It just says 5 airports.

tl8D2w8.jpg

Therefore I had to search for this post as I had seen the coverage map with the airport codes.

Thus my suggestion is to add this image to the screenshots of the product:

vhhxj2h.jpg

Or to put the airport codes in the text like in Pago Pago

4ZhxvOM.jpg

Or maybe not so detailed but at least put the airport codes within the text for easy reference.

Hope you don't mind me recommending so

Cheers

Carlos

On 11/22/2019 at 10:58 AM, V1-Vr-V2 said:

Hi, Errol - It's there. The cluster of buildings in the lower middle of the screen is Boeing. For reference, here's a photo I took of the Boeing facility from a helicopter flying out of CHS last year. ORBX looks like they captured it pretty well.

A super rendition of Charleston !  Some really detailed portions of downtown are very recognisable. The only nitpicking I will do concerns the 'old' Yorktown and the some of the static aircraft.

Alan, If you do a V2 could you separate the static aircraft (C17 and  A380)so one may replace them with AI aircraft of their choosing ?

Yes, that's he Boeing facility.  However there is a big mistake as the three aircraft sitting on the Boeing ramp are Airbus 380s not 787s.  I have not yet found a way to eliminate the wrong aircraft. If it was an honest error it should be corrected. If it was a joke . . . . . . . .<_<

On 11/23/2019 at 3:27 PM, JMBIII said:

A super rendition of Charleston !  Some really detailed portions of downtown are very recognisable. The only nitpicking I will do concerns the 'old' Yorktown and the some of the static aircraft.

Alan, If you do a V2 could you separate the static aircraft (C17 and  A380)so one may replace them with AI aircraft of their choosing ?

Yes, that's he Boeing facility.  However there is a big mistake as the three aircraft sitting on the Boeing ramp are Airbus 380s not 787s.  I have not yet found a way to eliminate the wrong aircraft. If it was an honest error it should be corrected. If it was a joke . . . . . . . .<_<

Unfortunately, separating out the C17's right now is a bit of a problem because the software we use clusters all library objects into one BGL file for each section (i.e *CharlestonKCHSLibrary.bgl).    So, this will require a partial software rewrite to separate out some library objects into different BGL files.    But, I will look into seeing how much of a rewrite that would require.   

As far as the Boeing facility goes, TBH I did not even know it was a Boeing facility.  So, we were just placing some large static aircraft at that location.   We will have to see if we can locate some static 787 models.

One quick note from me - Nice work on this Allen and Orbx team!  

I saw your note above about gauging interest in larger but less-popular areas.  I hope the plan is to allow that experiment to run for a while before a conclusion is drawn.  I will certainly buy this, however this team of year is tough for many due to the impending holidays, financial obligations and travel commitments.  I've always been interested in the scenery under-dogs and this will be a new area for me to explore in the new year.  Hopefully VT/NH/ME is not far behind! :)

Archived