Something different #3 : Solomon & Monkey Islands, JFK and the very true story of the 8 legs micro waterbear

My friend Lucy is not only a very pleasant pilot, she is an entomologist and yesterday she invited me to go and look for some micro waterbear...:huh:
"Where to look for the micro waterbears ?" I said - "... in the jungle of the Solomon Islands !" she answered ...:o
First to me it was quite mysterious...but really attractive !

So we start from Bundaberg by an early morning departure going North with ANSETT firts to Mackay (283NM 313°) and next to Cairns (322NM 316°) from where we guessed to got a airplane to Solomon Islands...

CTNlNi1.jpg

At Cairns, we have a regular line...but it is a quite old Russian bird......It was not the only surprise of this step...We notice behind us that there are a 3 kangoorous and 1 nandu in cargo boxes (we can see some heads though some breating holes)... 

zokajw4.jpg

p06nkKs.jpg

Shortly after take off, the pilot has to find quickly a landing place as one kangoroo succeds to go off its box and is jumping in the plane... 
[this happens in the true life ! I experimented that 25 years ago flying back from Tasmanania to Philip Islands with a twin propeller plane...the sounds only from boxes but not the kangoo escape !]
The pilot landed in a small private airfield to arrange its trouble with the kangoo ... 

6w50gw8.jpg

Well as there are non other planes the next days to Solomon, that means we have to manage to go step by step through Queensland &York Peninsula up to Papua New Guinea and to try to got a plane at Port Moresby to Solomon...:wacko:
Fortunately we find 2 nice warbirds to rent... a wonderful P-47 for Lucy ... and a nice Spitire for me :-) :D  That will be not to slow !!

IfhaKKN.jpg

z03I3Rz.jpg

So we continue to the North,  making few stops for refuelling and changing planes according renting availability...upto Kubin airport where we finally find a regular plane to Papua New Guinea...

V0lyE1S.jpg

During the long flight through the PNG Sea and along the coast, we discuss about the PNG, the dangereous life of explorators in such place :-D...and Lucy provides me some first information about the waterbear also called "tartigrades" :wacko:

BOrZRSv.jpg

These tiny creatures are about 1mm long, living usually in marine, freshwater and humid terrestial environments... 
We can find some waterbear on most of the roof moss ... and in the harshest regions of Earth where they can survive !
They have been discovered 18,200ft up a mountain in the Himalayas, in Japanese hot springs, at the bottom of the ocean and in Antarctica...and we should find some certainly on the top of remote hills of tropical Solomon islands :-)

axgMno0.jpg

(not all the pictures are fully suitable :-) )

Tardigrades have have eight legs and podgy face with folds of flesh. There are 900 known species... Most feed by sucking the juices from moss, lichens and algae. Others are carnivores with intimading claws. Their mouth is also a serious weapon with dagger-like teeth that can spear prey - eventually other tardigrades...

Tardigrades were discovered in 1773 by a German pastor and observed 3 years later by the Italian clergyman and scientist Spallanzani who added water to sediment from a rain gutter, and looked under a microscope to find hundreds of little bear-shaped creatures swimming around. He named them "il Tardigrado", meaning "slow-stepper", because they moved so slowly.
Fossils of tardigrades have been dated to the Cambrian period over 500 million years ago

After all these information of the micro bear life, we are sleeping about 1 or 2 hours ... -_-

Finally we arrive at Port Moresby. As we have to wait 1 full day to get one regular plane to Solomon Islands, we manage to go to Fane close to Kokoda trail...to look for interesting fauna & maybe some first tartigrades. Of course we will have to take care about maybe some dangerous ones...B)

GeVrCw2.jpg

3dPS3Fh.jpg

U1HBqho.jpg

The next day very early, back to Port Moresby, we are in the plane to Munda Airport on New Georgia, our target place of the Salomon Islands (via Kiriuna 237NM 82° via Kiriuna and next 367NM at 80°)

XREfSKW.jpg

WLEjbct.jpg

XDAgCcg.jpg

During the long flight over the sea, Lucy explained me some other particularities of the tartigrades :rolleyes: :o :angry:

In fact they have the ability to dessicate completly and therefore to be resistant against extreme conditions of temperatures, acid ambiance as well as outer space : they can withstand huge amounts of radiation, being heated to 150 °C, and being frozen almost to absolute zero. This has been tested in 2007 by a satellite experience : thousands of tardigrades were attached out of the satellite and blasted into space. After the satellite had returned to Earth, scientists found that many of them had survived. Some of the females had even laid eggs in space, and the newly-hatched young were healthy.

Dried tardigrades have been brought back to life after years of dessification ! When a tardigrade dries out it retracts its head and its eight legs. It then enters a deep state of suspended animation that closely resembles death.

Shedding almost all the water in its body, the tardigrade curls up into a dry husk. Its metabolism slows to 0.01% of the normal rate. It can stay in this state for decades, only reanimating when it comes into contact with water.
They can survive desiccation by making a lot of a particular sugar which forms a glass-like state inside their cells that stabilises key components, such as proteins and cells membranes, which would otherwise be destroyed. They make also a lot of antioxidants avoiding DNA of their cell to be damaged...

SAlcui8.jpg

MWKpi1A.jpg

yr3wT2k.jpg

2z17iKQ.jpg

During the flight, we watch a old movie about a terrible gorilla from a Pacific Island and fighting at the end agains airplane on the top of NY skybuilding... Certainly no one knows this film which is very unlikely...

ClYElfe.jpg

e7jLibN.jpg

After refueling at Munda, we  fly 27 NM  291° to NASATUPE Airfield...
Why this remote airfield ? To meet Peter, a collegue of Lucy expert in tartigrades ! And it is the place where to got a Stinson, perfect plane for a cool & slow for the end ot our adventure ...

gHadbmg.jpg

G3dnjsd.jpg

pmDaXsT.jpg

tKarCN0.jpg

(at the airport, we were happy to meet Maatts preparing its famous dance...)

o3aMNqK.jpg

Peter learns us that his grandfather survived just around here from a unfortunate meeting with a Japonese Destroyer in August 1943. He was on USS PT-109 Torpedo Boat leaded by Lt Kennedy when the boat was rammed by the Japanese craft. 
PT-109 sank, and the survivors had to swim to nearby Plum Pudding Island 3.5 miles away. 
Kennedy and his men survived for six days on coconuts before they were found by two local men who sent a message by coconut husk to an Australian military unit in the area that arranged a rescue.

8q2Dn5G.jpg

KmWLzUE.jpg

With Peter, we decide to go to a remote island to look for interesting things to discover...that our final destination ;)

ipw7O6Q.jpg

Not so easy to find where Peter went to land with its Cessna...

XYjPqK8.jpg

OK Lucy finds the airfield...

r1dqU6T.jpg

dVkETXW.jpg

h68rYHe.jpg

qYK3XGP.jpg

Fine Peter is waiting for us B)

hFsA0Ku.jpg

Thanks to its great knowledge of the place, we discover a lot of amazing new species...

yGSg9Cu.jpg

But Peter seems worried...He tells us that the place is not very safe... By the way we have to quit and to come back...We say goodbye to Peter and we go to our Stinson, ready to take off...

"Maybe some dangereous creature." he told ?? HARGGGH ... A huge ......:wacko:

ocY7mP9.jpg

LyonmoP.jpg

...fortunately Peter was not alone...he was with its frtiend "super mario monkey" ...and some native people come to help us... Houra we are stronger than the terrific monster... :rolleyes:

But the planes are destroyed...We had to wait for any possible plane around ?  But we are lucky a Douglas was travelling around and heard our distress message !!

DH0TQae.jpg

E4Z5KQl.jpg

What a surprise ! A big party is organized by Native Peeople to celebrate the victorty againt the terrible Monster... and some good musicians are just getting out the airplane, as well as 2 important people that maybe somebody would recognise ? 

FNZuFVs.jpg

And kindly, after the party, the pilots propose us to take us upto the nearest airport :rolleyes: from where got a nice T-6 to come back.......

0XqE2nZ.jpg

jXAGdVY.jpg

EG9BaJ5.jpg

THE END (and sorry I have been certainly too long...)

14 hours ago, ifrevets said:

Truly a labor of love!

Thank you - mostly pleasure but yes it is not a quick done post :)

13 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

....and some fun!

Happy you had some...it is the main purpose :D

13 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Incredible well done, hell of a time to do this

thank you very much Carlos

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I have been riveted to this post for the last 15 minutes reading every word and taking in the incredible pictures

I am very glad you read every word as it was a bit long...:lol: thank you :)

10 hours ago, Stillwater said:

a fantastic collection of flights, planes & stories

oh yes the planes are so good with wonderful liveries...I have always a huge pleasure to get these on web...thank you so much to their authors !

And a dream of flight on such remote countries and islands...thanks to the sim ! (NB : I had Solomon X scenery (freewere addon) with of course orbx TAP+global+open+...)

9 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots great story. Well done:)

thank you !

7 hours ago, lifejogger said:

lots of information

indeed maybe too much :rolleyes: thanks !

5 hours ago, adambar said:

That is better than watching TV or reading a book

Thank you so much Adam - I am proud of a such kind comment !

2 hours ago, mikee said:

Great Shots ! I like the plane a lot ! Thanks for the tour

Happy you like the planes choice...It was hard to decide as I love a lot of planes ... I tried to be realistic according countries (livery) and distance to fly :)

2 hours ago, paulb said:

A very creative post! Well done Jean Marc!

Thank you Paul ... NB : initially I planned to put you in the story as I noticed your Quantas flight at Cairns with a big jet ... You would have been the pilot of the plane not going to its targetted destination - joking about your maybe not complete big jet FMC ability :P ... but a bit hard to joke (also with my poor english)...so it was an old russian plane :D

----------------------

NB : Sorry I noticed a lot of typo mistakes (also my poor english) ... 

That was delightful Jean Marc!  Your posts about the tardigrades was excellent, I read about these a few months ago, they almost look alien.

What a brilliant and creative post this is, I love the way you mixed the photos with the shots and the story was terrific, so creative and well done.  I loved every minute of it!

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was delightful Jean Marc!  Your posts about the tardigrades was excellent, I read about these a few months ago, they almost look alien.

What a brilliant and creative post this is, I love the way you mixed the photos with the shots and the story was terrific, so creative and well done.  I loved every minute of it!

Very happy you like the post, Jack. Thank you for you kind comment. So you are also a member of friendly club of the tartigrades's news reader :D

NB : I heard about these micro animals from Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) daily sheet on web a few months ago...

PS : "look alien" - well you know I have one Alien friend calle LGG but this one is a real size alien :lol:

12 minutes ago, jean marc said:

Thank you - also for the sympthical french words as comments :P

No problem.

I just substituted "Force" for "France"
Which I watch avidly in June as it is basically a tourist promotion event for France & the mountain stages scenery is phenomenal.

Of course you were too polite to pull a "Poirot" & point out you are not French.

Suchet does it very well.:)

TTM

5 hours ago, jean marc said:

Very happy you like the post, Jack. Thank you for you kind comment. So you are also a member of friendly club of the tartigrades's news reader :D

NB : I heard about these micro animals from Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) daily sheet on web a few months ago...

PS : "look alien" - well you know I have one Alien friend calle LGG but this one is a real size alien :lol:

Thanks Jean Marc!  Pure coincidence, a few weeks ago they were in the news, so I decided to investigate and was astonished at how durable they are.  I'll bet they could travel light years in space for thousands of years and still survive.  Very amazing little creature, and so alien looking too.  LGG?  And who is this?  :o:D

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

they could travel light years in space for thousands of years and still survive.  Very amazing little creature, and so alien looking too.  LGG?  And who is this?  :o:D

Very résistant but I am not sure they would survive too long in space because cosmic particles should destroy at the end too many cells by impact on their DNA chains :o

LGG is the strange guy I met with Lucy in my previous post :P the one with a strange head and greeny color :lol:

9 minutes ago, jean marc said:

Very résistant but I am not sure they would survive too long in space because cosmic particles should destroy at the end too many cells by impact on their DNA chains :o

LGG is the strange guy I met with Lucy in my previous post :P the one with a strange head and greeny color :lol:

:lol:

For information if somebody would like to read it : the link for the 2nd story - my first expedition with Lucy ! and why she calls Lucy :P : 

And the link for the 1st story - how I have luckely met Lucy ! : 

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, jean marc said:

well it could be nice to remake this long trip with MSFS2020 nextly ... maybe someday new Orbx little wonders by there it should be so great to have remote Orbx airfields in Salomon Islands and so ... O0

Good idea and memory. I have followed your flight again, and it is still great!

Unfortunately we will not be able to see such trips in MSFS for some time here, as there is no much Orbx-specific scenery. Yet!

20 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Good idea and memory. I have followed your flight again, and it is still great!

Thanks Gerold ... Many typo mistakes but good fun :P 

20 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Unfortunately we will not be able to see such trips in MSFS for some time here, as there is no much Orbx-specific scenery. Yet!

PNG is so great and would be amazing in msfs .... A dream :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, TerribleT said:

a work of art mate and so memory evoking for me having been to a lot of these places in real life a few decades back - thank you!

Very glad you liked :) wow lucky man to know in RL some of these PNG places ... 25 years ago I was in Darwin & Cairns dreaming to go to PNG ... one day I will go for sure O0

Archived