DTG Flight Sim World

Rimshot

Just received the email, it is 64 bit, expected. They are going from DX9 to DX11, not DX12, interesting. I should get early access, as I had purchased their earlier efforts. Great stuff, what Orbx scenery looks like in this sim will be interesting. So in a few months, I will have FSX, P3D, Aerofly AF2, and now FlightsimWorld, along with the earlier Steam sims! It will of course have Occulus and Vive support, 2017 will be a watershed year.

Anyone know if its based on FSX.does look like it.

I know it's early alpha as i just watched the video and can see textures sharpening below the aircraft and thought oh dear!.

I know i might be coming across as negative ,but i had high hopes for the 64bit flight school,which i thought was dreadful.

just don't want to get bitten.

steve

6 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Now, what is it going to cost me to get my Orbx products working in this sim?

+1.  This is an important factor on what sim becomes the "main" simulator on our hard drives.  I'm sure JV will let us know when he can.  

been beta testing it, still early days, but certain flights with weather set up just right it shows promise, raindrops are a nice touch AO baking sets autogen onto the ground better and AI aircraft dont float, but needs refinement so early access is your chance to hammer them with what you find lacking also give them some kudos if there's something worth praising.

cheers

Ken

5 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

also give them some kudos if there's something worth praising.

Ken

+1 We as a community are usually very harsh on the sim makers in ratio to positive feedback.

4 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

...so early access is your chance to hammer them with what you find lacking also give them some kudos if there's something worth praising.

My thoughts exactly.

What I'm keen to know is ... is it a real game changer? Don't get me wrong, I welcome this news and on first impressions it looks great.  But FSX isn't sustainable in my view and the industry needs a proper replacement entertainment flight sim platform to fill the gap P3D doesn't. I hope this pans out for DTG, because (and to use a May the 4th pun), Flight School wasn't the sim we were looking for...

2 hours ago, Hobnobs said:

What I'm keen to know is ... is it a real game changer?

It doesn't look like it to me... It seems to have the same issues this engine has had since its conception, which is around Autogen and Terrain loading, something I would have hoped to see improvements in with the move to a 64bit environment. When you see AF2 and XP11 the thing both platforms seem to do well is terrain handling, with vastly extended Autogen and terrain that remains sharp regardless of distance; it makes the esp based sims looks very dated. If FSW doesn't improve this, then maybe P3Dv4 will... and I'll be very happy.

I'm sure for many the dreaded OOM issue will be enough to make it a something of a 'game changer' but as someone who doesn't encounter them, due to the nature of my use of the sim, I can't see it offering anything worthwhile.... I could be wrong though :unsure:

At this point (and until I see more) I would rather invest in AF2 if I were to buy another sim... and I'm still gutted Orbx pulled out of developing for XP.

53 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

It doesn't look like it to me... It seems to have the same issues this engine has had since its conception, which is around Autogen and Terrain loading, something I would have hoped to see improvements in with the move to a 64bit environment. When you see AF2 and XP11 the thing both platforms seem to do well is terrain handling, with vastly extended Autogen and terrain that remains sharp regardless of distance; it makes the esp based sims looks very dated. If FSW doesn't improve this, then maybe P3Dv4 will... and I'll be very happy.

I'm sure for many the dreaded OOM issue will be enough to make it a something of a 'game changer' but as someone who doesn't encounter them, due to the nature of my use of the sim, I can't see it offering anything worthwhile.... I could be wrong though :unsure:

At this point (and until I see more) I would rather invest in AF2 if I were to buy another sim... and I'm still gutted Orbx pulled out of developing for XP.

Mark, I got  AF2 after the recent Orbx push & so far I am underwhelmed.

I may not have the set up right yet, but flying, (non VR),  in the South West, around LA area, I am finding down low that the flat area photoreal terrain is washed out  &  lacks definition. Also the absence of seasonal changes is a show stopper, for me.  It does do mountains well, but there are other areas that I feel it needs to develop if It was to convince to move off P3D, which is unlikely, given the investment in Orbx products & add on aircraft I have.

I think if P3Dv4 comes in with 64 bit then AF2 & FSW may struggle.

Do you run VR with your AF2??

TTM 

8 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Do you run VR with your AF2??

I don't own it as yet, so I'm only going by what I've seen posted on the net. Each platform has it strengths and weaknesses and I'm happy to run more than one sim to cater to my interests... P3D is my primary, but I run XP11 as well as I like to build areas of photoscnery; it too only has one season, so I could not entertain it as my only sim, nor could I AF2. I guess its unfair to judge it based on tiny clips from one video, but I don't see anything in FSW that is particularly attractive, or different to what I already have... maybe for those still running FSX it will be great to have an updated platform with better memory management, but personally I'd rather wait for the next iteration of P3D [or just stick with this one]

15 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

I don't own it as yet, so I'm only going by what I've seen posted on the net. Each platform has it strengths and weaknesses and I'm happy to run more than one sim to cater to my interests... P3D is my primary, but I run XP11 as well as I like to build areas of photoscnery; it too only has one season, so I could not entertain it as my only sim, nor could I AF2. I guess its unfair to judge it based on tiny clips from one video, but I don't see anything in FSW that is particularly attractive, or different to what I already have... maybe for those still running FSX it will be great to have an updated platform with better memory management, but personally I'd rather wait for the next iteration of P3D [or just stick with this one]

My sentiments exactly Mark.

I noticed DTG Aimee posted:

We are not worrying about VR for now. It would be nice to have, but we have a team of 15 people working on this project and we can't spare anyone to optimize the game for VR now. We are busy making the best PC sim we can instead!

Maybe another opportunity for Flyinside?

32 bit platform is close to being dead in 2017, period. We are seeing more and more OOM/CTD and only a 64 bit platform will solve that.

A lot of us have been simming for ages and it was fine before. Come on, in 2017 being stuck to not even 4 gig or ram make no cense at all with increasing graphic detail.

Being stuck to certain airplane over certain region to keep VAS free and good FPS is no fun anymore.

FSX doesn't care much about new hard core GPU and it as been like that for years.

P3D didn't cut it for me, but Aerofly and Dovetail are the future

My old dedicated FSX rig as 16gig of ram and for nothing (except for video editing), I'm even sure with a good GPU that I could keep my faithful 2600K for a wile and run those new platform nicely.

Ben

2 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Mark, I got  AF2 after the recent Orbx push & so far I am underwhelmed.

I may not have the set up right yet, but flying, (non VR),  in the South West, around LA area, I am finding down low that the flat area photoreal terrain is washed out  &  lacks definition. Also the absence of seasonal changes is a show stopper, for me.  It does do mountains well, but there are other areas that I feel it needs to develop if It was to convince to move off P3D, which is unlikely, given the investment in Orbx products & add on aircraft I have.

I think if P3Dv4 comes in with 64 bit then AF2 & FSW may struggle.

+1

It is always said AF2 has no system depth yet, but has great visuals and lighting. I'm not sure about this, because AF2 lacks of some things which are essential for me for good visuals:

- no water animation (just a plain bitmap for water like it was in FS2002)

- no seasons

- no cloud shadows, also the other shadows are inferior to P3d3

- always the same lighting, no matter if the sky is clear or overcast

- no proper clouds at all (I speak just of clouds, not the lacking of a weather engine). That's the reason why you mostly see clear sky screenshots.

- clouds are only drawn in close vicinity of the aircraft

- lack of proper autogen (buildings and vegetation)

So in concern of visuals AF2 seems to be the ideal sim for flying over an inland desert on a clear day.

What attracts me to the newly announced FSW is the statements in the video about planes that have every single switch and button fully functional and also a mention in the comments over at the avsim thread about the inclusion of Accufeel as a base.  If A2A has been involved to the point that AccuFeel is included by default, then that right there makes the new sim worth quite a bit I think.  What worries me is something also stated in comments about the minimum GPU requirement of a 4G 970.  I didn't sign up to receive the announcement email and I haven't found that yet posted by DTG but it seems kinda high for a minimum.

Anyway, it took LM several years and sevral iterations to get P3d the way it is now so Im willing to give DTG some leeway but FlightSchool did leave a bad taste in my mouth and I see no reason to buy something I cant even run.  I hope they eventually create a really great flight sim.

EDIT: Ok, the steam page has what I was looking for: http://store.steampowered.com/app/389280/Flight_Sim_World/

DTG said on avsim that they will be working more on the terrain handling, let's hope so, because from the pictures the terrain looks HORRIBLE! if i was working with DTG i would not have published the pictures showing that awful terrain handling! :unsure: Let's hope that they will listen to us in the future, it will be there only and last chance to impress!

The min spec does seem quite high in terms of GPU... but, sometimes you can take these with a pinch of salt. I ran some games with my previous card (GTX670 2GB) at decent settings and frame rates when it barely met minimum requirements.

From the Steam page... and note the line at the bottom.

Minimum:

OS: Windows® 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor: AMD APU Kaveri A10-7850K or Intel Core i3 6100

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: Radeon R9 Fury or GeForce GTX 970

DirectX: Version 9.0

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 40 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Additional Notes: System requirements are subject to changes during optimisation process.

There are some screenshots there as well, and one thing it does show, is how much they have improved the lighting over Flight School, which was frankly awful... it now looks more like P3D with PTA.

It will be really difficult for "me" to find a "new simulator" matching my expectations even after X Pane 11,Aerofly fs 2 and this Flight sim world video...

Six months have passed with a lot of good news...but today no visual surprise apart ftx innsbruck for Aerofly.The good idea would be to invent butterflies add-on to take full advantage of it.

For be honest my pleasure decreased.Now I expect more for P3D V4. I am waiting as it was Au Australia, FTX Global or openLC release.I am waiting for a great WOW!!!

Excite me!

12 minutes ago, stevehowe said:

Correct me if i'm wrong..64bit doesn't solve the blurred textures problem.that is all down to the terrain engine which is the core of the flightsim.

you can dress it up but it's still 10 year old code

steve

i think so, at least it looks like 64 bit does not solve the blurries, they need to work much more to improve the terrain handling!

1 hour ago, Mohamed Amin said:

i think so, at least it looks like 64 bit does not solve the blurries, they need to work much more to improve the terrain handling!

I'm sure with the (physical) memory limit removed with 64bit, that the LOD distance could be revised and extended with the current engine, which would greatly help prevent 'blurries' {FSX & P3D currently don't allow physical memory to be utilized beyond very meager limits }... Also, that vid, while looking good only has to operate in a very small area, and not represent the whole world, or even a decent part of it. 64bit is not the second coming, but it can, and should, improve some of the worst of the 32bit limitations...

14 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

I'm sure with the (physical) memory limit removed with 64bit, that the LOD distance could be revised and extended with the current engine, which would greatly help prevent 'blurries' {FSX & P3D currently don't allow physical memory to be utilized beyond very meager limits }... Also, that vid, while looking good only has to operate in a very small area, and not represent the whole world, or even a decent part of it. 64bit is not the second coming, but it can, and should, improve some of the worst of the 32bit limitations...

as i said in a previous post DTG said on avsim that they will be working more on the terrain handling :) so let's hope that they will fix it.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, Rimshot said:

Now, what is it going to cost me to get my Orbx products working in this sim?

Well, assuming ORBX develops scenery for this sim, and I would be very surprised if they didn't, it will cost you the usual price minus 40%, if you've already purchased the same product for FSX or P3D.  See John's opening remarks on ORBX'S support for Aerofly 2.

Regards, 

Tom

3 hours ago, Mohamed Amin said:

1 hour ago, Mark Abdey said:

i just hope it's not a mess.not just for myself ,also for DTG as well .there has obviously been a lot of effort put in to this and it would be a shame to see it bomb.

i consider myself very fortunate as it was only a little while ago after MS Flight that we were close to having only FSX as a sim.now with Prepa3d,FSX all being revamped we have a chance of a very good flight simulator and things are looking really good for desktop fliers.

fingers crossed

steve

Archived