DTG Flight Sim World

Rimshot

7 hours ago, sightseer said:

What worries me is something also stated in comments about the minimum GPU requirement of a 4G 970.

Orbx Developer Ken Hall said: "been beta testing it,...."
(2600k @4.4gig 3x 1tb hdds 1 ssd cache drive Nvidia GTX780Ti 3gig superclocked GPU 6gigddr3 gigabyte mobo, 1x27+1x19" monitors)

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Graphics: GeForce GTX 970

Makes sense?

And what about the "Project D" ? is this one ? I've not read an official position about that new sim from Orbx Management.

As the default texture will be orbx global ..... i'm surprise there is no communication : no informations about compatibility ? pricing ? sale model ? Perhaps i missed something !?

4 minutes ago, jlsaghaa said:

And what about the "Project D" ? is this one ? I've not read an official position about that new sim from Orbx Management.

As the default texture will be orbx global ..... i'm surprise there is no communication : no informations about compatibility ? pricing ? sale model ? Perhaps i missed something !?

nothing is announced yet

updated my system to a GPU 1180 8gig, CPU overclocked to 4.6

running LOD 7.5 all sliders maxed and 3d raindrops weather set to max that includes 100% AI and rd traffic and around Las Vegas very dense autogen still smooth, FPS did drop to 19 but I have a 34inch wide screen at 3440 x1440. I will ask permission to post some screenshots and if thats cleared I'll post them here.

cheers

7 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

I will ask permission to post some screenshots and if thats cleared I'll post them here.

That would be great Ken. I understand you may not be allowed to talk directly about the sims features, but if you are... does FSW display cloud shadows?  I know for some it may seem trivial, but I'm not sure I could live without them now.

50 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

That's a bonus for me then.:)

Yes, me too. I think this is a good gesture, as FS seemed abandoned fairly shortly after release, with some glaring issues never put right. I originally bought FS out of curiosity and as a platform for my sons to muck about with, but even they didn't like it, and use P3D if they fancy flying.

15 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

updated my system to a GPU 1180 8gig, CPU overclocked to 4.6

running LOD 7.5 all sliders maxed and 3d raindrops weather set to max that includes 100% AI and rd traffic and around Las Vegas very dense autogen still smooth, FPS did drop to 19 but I have a 34inch wide screen at 3440 x1440. I will ask permission to post some screenshots and if thats cleared I'll post them here.

cheers

Ken - what is a "GPU 1180"?  its not even available yet is it?  Does FSW run on your 780Ti? My card is only (only!?) a 770FTW.

2 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

I saw it as a typo of a 1080.

It must be. I hope so.  I'd still like to hear from Ken as to how the sim ran on his 780. I'd hate to download 40Gigs and then find it wouldn't even start.

3 minutes ago, sightseer said:

It must be. I hope so.  I'd still like to hear from Ken as to how the sim ran on his 780. I'd hate to download 40Gigs and then find it wouldn't even start.

I doubt it has 40GB. Probably around 10GB.

I for one am looking forward to this,I have not touched either FSX OR P3D for over 8/9 months,simply fed up of there respective limitations.

I am realistic about this new Sim FSW  it being basically an updated version of "old" software is a concern.What are faults with the old code may be sorted maybe not,ok we will not have the Ooms issues but load times and rendering of realistic scenery/environments do worry me.However great that Dovetail has at least had a go.Another issue I see from the start and yes I Realise it is early access is that it seems to be solely focused on GA aircraft.With that said I have no inside knowledge about the product and may be proven wrong.Or simply that these may be added (presumably at a cost) in later updates.

With all that said this is no way a gripe and I REALLY wish it well and hope we all get at least some of what we like.

Gary

Having discovered ORBX and A2A a couple of years ago, and having spent a small fortune since buying paywear addons, I can't imagine going to this new version and starting again. Not only would I feel like I was throwing money away, I'd be in constant fear of the other half discovering that I don't have a gambling habit, just an addiction to rebuilding my sim up again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

yep typo sorry about that

Ken, one thing Flight School was deficient in was haze & visibility; frankly it was pretty unacceptable in my view. Can you comment on this re:FSW yet, or are you allowed to make any observations at this time?

On 4-5-2017 at 9:59 PM, Murfman said:

Well, assuming ORBX develops scenery for this sim, and I would be very surprised if they didn't, it will cost you the usual price minus 40%, if you've already purchased the same product for FSX or P3D.  See John's opening remarks on ORBX'S support for Aerofly 2.

Regards, 

Tom

That seems plausible. I'll wait for an official statement :)

It's a pity that ORBX has abandoned developing for X-Plane 11 (I guess I know the reason).

Anyway, the new Dovetail sim sound interesting. However, I'm afraid that it is going to have a closed structure, just like many mainstream games do. That means that you are not allowed to touch the files, see how things work, even making repaints. Since X-plane is quite the opposite to that, where you can edit every single aspect of the sim, I hope John will change his mind on the matter. On the Dovetail front, I'm interested to see what the guys manage to bring out of this hybrid engine. It's bound to be interesting.

3 hours ago, PeterSuranyi86 said:

Anyway, the new Dovetail sim sound interesting. However, I'm afraid that it is going to have a closed structure, just like many mainstream games do. That means that you are not allowed to touch the files, see how things work, even making repaints.

Watch the video again and pay extra attention from 2:10 ;)

Froogle had a good take in his weekly news video on YouTube that echos what other people have said. DTG can easily shoot themselves in the foot if they get too greedy. Hopefully OrbX working with them is a good sign that good developers will want to work with them.

9 hours ago, PeterSuranyi86 said:

It's a pity that ORBX has abandoned developing for X-Plane 11 (I guess I know the reason).

If my customer service experience with Laminar is any indication of how well they work with other companies, then it's not surprising that X-Plane is still lagging in third-party support. (Not to mention simple things like still not having seasons.)

All DTG has to do here is incrementally improve FSX. They haven't really had an inspiring product before and people will complain, but ultimately a great platform will continue on. DX11 and shifting work to the GPU is a good start. As long as they don't undermine themselves this is the most promising project out there. Imagine if FTX and A2A just throw a few free bones to their existing customers to get them to try DTG!

Using JV as a way to judge the behind the scenes, I have a feeling DTG is lacking a lot of addon developers 100% support. Many developers got bit once with MS on Flight where they had open communications and a good vibe and then MS closed everyone out. PMDG Rob has already brought to light some feelings of that same thing happening with DTG. Its not what JV has said, its more about what he hasnt and what we've seen and read in regards to other sims.  P3Dv4...free product upgrades...thats huge. That speaks volumes in how Orbx views P3D future and that has to come from a good rapport.

AFS2, Orbx has shown once again a few various means to give indication that its in support of it.  FSW...Orbx has been very quite. Add that to what has been said from PMDG and there seems to be a feeling that the future is not so clear. Nothing is being ruled out, however, nothing is being promoted.  As far as the offering Orbx is making about the 40% cost if owned for AFS2, I wouldnt feel that is Orbxs stance for FSW as one member has posted in this thread. As a matter of fact, I wouldnt be surprised if Orbx looks at FSW as a means for a different level of products for FSW.

If I am reading the tea leaves correctly...I am feeling P3D v4 and currently v3.4 is where to look at Orbx to have its biggest support and AFS2 to be a coming up sim for the less hardcore simmer. Where that leave FSW is yet to be determined and DTG is holding all the cards on that.

Watch Froogle's news of Sunday 7th May.   He asks some good questions of DTG.   Also read the viewers comments in the scrips below -  fascinating.

Seems unlikely there will be big jets or Helicopters.

Cheers

Ken

Given we already have a great 64Bit sim with superb visuals, the best aerodynanic modelling on the market and a huge freeware but in,y small payware following what do DTG have to gain?

There Train sims are plagued by fps issues and only display a tiny amount of the visuals needed for a flight sim. Most of the physics models in there trains are very poor with a limited few being good.

An aeroplane in a fluid dynamics model is far far more difficult to model and using the already heavily flawed Fsx model which P3D uses means the developer must have a huge amount of aero knowledge to trick a flawed system into portraying something to remotely look real. Even then the cracks show through.

i think developers woukd be far better pressed financially avoiding Steam at all costs and focusing on the two sims we have already.

All i see DTG doing is fracturing a small market aleady split between two sims.

I still fail to see the logic behind Orbx avoiding Xplane which has some brilliant bushplanes which handle far more realistically because of the superior Aero modelling?

The Orbx smaller airports combined with the already available freeware photo scenery for Xplane, its superior lighting model, far better aero sim and its 64 bit already is a money spinner a veritable no brainer. 

Yet the market goes untapped...opportunities lost... 

4 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

I still fail to see the logic behind Orbx avoiding Xplane which has some brilliant bushplanes which handle far more realistically

I dont mean to drag the thread off topic nor speak for Orbx but I do get what could be some reasons for why they looked at it and decided to pass. Xplane is most certainly a sim designed for the best flight modeling. Orbx is scenery so that means little to them. Xplane does offer the best night lighting but perhaps P3Dv4 will as well, something Orbx might know.

That said, the way Xplane does the world with its plausible world (I think is what they call it) and no seasons is not exactly how Orbx looks at scenery design I would guess. I am a recent convert to Xplane11 but I use it for only one purpose...helo night flying. Two things that P3D can't do nearly as well in v3.4. I could care less about scenery addons in Xplane because I wouldnt see them at night and how Xplane does scenery, at night it look far more real than the day version. No worry about if the airport has buildings or not as the surrounding of the airport and the living world of cars and trains and all that stuff looks amazing. More real than any sim day or night.

9 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

Watch Froogle's news of Sunday 7th May.   He asks some good questions of DTG.   Also read the viewers comments in the scrips below -  fascinating.

Seems unlikely there will be big jets or Helicopters.

Cheers

Ken

......well, that's the first few items of DLC sorted then.

6 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

... Orbx is scenery so that means little to them.

I kindly disagree with this. I guess most Xplane users just probably buy a dedicated hard drive and fill it with with photoscenery for the whole USA or Europe, and yes, combined with Xplanes plausible world that looks amazing, there is still the question of airports. So while FTX regions would not be needed, individual airports would probably sell well (obviously the market share is nowhere near FSX/P3D). If I can guess here, Austin Meyer just simply pissed JV off, and that is a pity, because XP is finally getting there, and it's even more open towards modding than FSX, with tons of potential. Now, back to topic on DTG: the video does show some kind of editor, but if I catched it right, it is only a mission editor. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see a gameplay video. I guess the DTG sim would fit in somewhere between Aerofly and P3D, but it is a bit early to tell. I like the fresh interface and approach, and the better use of computing resources (these things are also present in Xplane as well).

I kindly disagree with this. I guess most Xplane users just probably buy a dedicated hard drive and fill it with with photoscenery for the whole USA or Europe, and yes, combined with Xplanes plausible world that looks amazing, there is still the question of airports.

For low and slow VFR/bush flying the ortho isn't that helpful. I don't get the feeling of visiting an actual place with X-Plane autogen.

OK this has now stayed well off topic and turned into a 'my sim is better' pissing contest. Please stop hijacking topics with your own agendas folks, this is a civil and moderated forum and we have zero tolerance for this.

I am reluctantly closing this topic because it's turned sour. If folks want to talk amicably about FSW feel free to start another discussion.

Archived