Holy Crap! I own an airport

Kilstorm

Sorry for the other enthusiasm, but this is all kind of a shock for me in away. I just got a telephone call from Colorado where the person on the other end of the phone asked if he had gotten the FBO? If I was the Alamosa Outpost? I said , yeah cause that was what I call my 35 acres of land I own but havent built on yet. He then asked if I had a Cessna bearing with some other info and I said no and to try the FBO at the San Luis Airport. Hung up the phone and thought to myslef where did he get that info from.

Back track a couple of years when ibrought my land and I put the paperwork in for me to have a runway on my land with the FAA. I sent in the paperwork, they then sent back it all looked good but I need to send in final paperwork which I did but never heard back from them. Then when I would called couldnt get them, then we started getting budget cuts etc so I figured it all got lost. So I went to Airnav and did an airport serch for Alamosa Outpost and bam there it is. Went to Skyvector and bam there I am!

My plans were to buy a C182 but those plans have been put on hold for now but thats kinda cool that I at least have the established rights of a runway in case I do move forward on that. Just crazy that I filed the paperwork in 2012 and now I just find out its in the system!

Very cool!

I spent the first 5 years of my life playing on the runway in the front of our house in the NWT, 32 years ago but I remember how cool it was to have an airport as my front yard.....lol,...Mom wasn't crazy about it though..lol

Congrats indeed!!

Congrats. Now, with runway 4 extending nicely along the 45° radial from the ALS VOR, you can even have your own instrument approach... ;D:D

Seriously though, I really hope you do find the time and resources to go ahead with the project. Good luck!

Tym

Maybe we can put it in the sim BEFORE it's built, Alamosa International :)

I'm sure it would look great in FTXG as an airport!  My idea with it was just to have the 2,600x60 dirt strip but have florescent colored painted cow skulls on about 2 foot high stakes as the day time lighting system.  Blue for Taxi, Red and green for runway thresholds...something like that.  A really western outpost look. 

I'm sure it would look great in FTXG as an airport!  My idea with it was just to have the 2,600x60 dirt strip but have florescent colored painted cow skulls on about 2 foot high stakes as the day time lighting system.  Blue for Taxi, Red and green for runway thresholds...something like that.  A really western outpost look. 

Lol - that sounds like something from Mad Max films.

I would really like to see what you and Orbx can come up with for an airport.  The possiblities are endless

Congrats....my wife and I own 35 acres on the other side of the Great Dunes NP in Westcliffe. I'm thinking of an ultra-light so I can just use all the dirt roads that are available...haha! Beautiful country!

That's very cool, hope you can pull it off!

Cheers

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe when you get a chance you could outline your property in the photos in "red". Presuming you selected your runway headings, what did you base them on? What prompted you to buy 35 acres in this area...oil deposits, lost silver mine, bauxite????? Sorry for all the questions but to me this is a most interesting story.

Congrats....my wife and I own 35 acres on the other side of the Great Dunes NP in Westcliffe. I'm thinking of an ultra-light so I can just use all the dirt roads that are available...haha! Beautiful country!

That's very cool, hope you can pull it off!

Cheers

Martin

I love the Sangre De Cristo's. My favorite place to hike and fly fish for Cutts when I lived in Colorado.

Archived